Start by marking “Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)” as Want to Read:
Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)

Orion's Hounds

(Star Trek: Titan #3)

As the "U.S.S. Titan" ventures beyond the outermost reaches of known space, the telepaths in her crew -- including Diplomatic Officer Deanna Troi -- are overwhelmed by an alien cryof distress, leading the ship to the scene of a shocking act of carnage: a civilization of interstellar "whalers" preying upon and exploiting a familiar species of sentient spaceborne giants. App ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Orion's Hounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orion's Hounds

Daniel Kukwa
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The two introductory novels to the "Titan" series were solid, but this feels far more Trek-ish. Free from the task of setting up the new starship & its crew, this flows smoothly as an enjoyable action-adventure and exploratory journey. This is the novel that ultimately sold me on Captain Riker & his new crew.
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this has to be one of the best written books that I didn't really like in a lot of places. This is a very well told story with intelligent, engaging dialogue (in fact, some of the best dialogue I've read in a Trek book to date) that should give one pause and consider how tolerant a person they really are towards others and the story is competently handled as well.

The problem here, which might just be me, is that I really didn't need the lion's share of a Sci-Fi fiction book to serve as ca
Dan Gilman
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, I had to read this one chapter at a time, moving forward out of duty and sense of failure of not having read a book, I haven't had a book this hard to read since... ever really. As much as I love Star Trek (and believe me, I do) I do have episodes that I hate, from every series. Storylines that just fail to deliver what to me, is Star Trek, and this book was one of those.

None of the characters other than Ree held my attention for a moment, I wanted to just give up on this book about
Matthew Rasnake
Oct 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trek fans looking for a fix
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
First off, Titan is a Star Trek novel. As such, there's a certain amount of forgiveness and understanding one must indulge in to thoroughly enjoy it. For me, Trek novels have always been sort of like candy--like a... banana flavored taffy, sometimes it tastes better than a real banana, but it can be a little hard to chew at first, and often tastes just a bit off. All this is not to say that it's a bad book, just that there's a difference between literature and pop-fiction.

As a Trek novel, it cer
John
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I admire Christopher L. Bennett for being the first to take the reins in this series from Martin and Mangels, whose interesting and rather shaky start made me quite curious as to how it would proceed. The story in this book is well-told, if not slow and deliberate where pace is concerned. It fills in the gaps of some episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, though I won't mention them here in order to avoid spoilers.
Captain Riker and his veritable zoo of a crew come across a peaceful race of
Andrew
Aug 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
When the 2009 Star Trek movie released, the Onion website made a parody news cast, stating that Trek fans hated the movie because it wasn't boring enough. Well, this is the kind of boring Trek that they were referring to.

I gave up on page 152. The conflict between two alien races is not exciting, and a significant portion of the book is dedicated to conversations about how diverse the crew of Titan is. I'd rather see the diverse crew actually do something besides talk about how awesome they are
Jerry
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story with great writing.
Crystal Bensley
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this Titan novel. Lots of cool species and messages about how we treat other creatures. Onward to book 4!
Christopher
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zachary
I enjoyed this, though less than the first 2 Titan novels. Bennett was clearly horny as hell while writing this, and scarcely a chapter went by where he didn’t seem to shoehorn in some reference to sex. I’m no prude but it felt out of place and contrived in the story. The plot though was very interesting and Trek-like, focused on exploration and understanding of differences, which I appreciated greatly.
omiczech
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Příjemné odpočinkové čtení. Potěšilo mě zapojení známých prvků z televizní série.
Lonnie Richey
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite
rivka
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
Wes
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was literally a book about space birds hunting space jelly fish. 380 pages of space birds and space jelly fish.
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dylan
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i keep forgetting to do a review for this one. i finished it last friday, but it was a pretty busy weekend.

I'm really enjoying the adventures of the USS Diversity er... Titan. Conceptually this is exactly what Star Trek is all about for me, and the struggles that the crew face in trying to strike a balance of diversity and tolerance among one another... sometimes leading to very difficult and uncomfortable cultural clashes. It is fascinating and very thought provoking.

The story in this one was p
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Emma
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek, scifi
This is the third book in the series and my favorite so far. The first two books are closely linked chronologically and by cast of characters, and Romulan related stories are not my favorite. All of the espionage and scheming gets tedious quickly.

The third book is much more of an "alien of the week" plot but done in much more detail than a single hour long show could've managed. The more Trek books I read, the more I feel like it's a better way to handle the franchise.

Besides the major plot conf
Jarrah
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, sci-fi, star-trek
I enjoyed this third installment in the Titan series because of the continuing development of key characters, mainly Tuvok, Troi, Keru and Melora Pazlar. But overall I felt this book dragged a lot more than the first two. There were parts I found myself skimming - like the science officers' extended explanations of alien creatures and phenomena - because I wanted to get back to the character conflict and the action. A lot of the explanations, while nice, were just not really necessary to the plo ...more
Jimyanni
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was quite an excellent Star Trek novel; the plot moved well, with some good action, some good suspense, and a good, plausible resolution that was realistic enough to not be a perfect, everybody's-happy-with-it solution. The characters were handled well, with the Starfleet characters demonstrating a good balance between trying to avoid interfering in the development of other cultures and trying to save innocent lives; the opposition were decent folks with a different culture and a different ...more
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Titan: Orion's Hounds by Christopher L. Bennett 3rd part of the Titan-series of books, set after "Nemesis" on Riker's new ship. This is a very good book, (re)introducing species that live (almost) entirely in space such as the crystal entity or the beings from "Encounter at Farpoint", dealing with the Prime Directive and lots of good characterization.

The only criticism I have is that Bennett sometimes tends to take his scientific approach a little too seriously. I could certainly do
Shawlands Lee
I read a review that said this book was very well written but there was not enough to make you care what happened. To an extent I disagree. This was indeed a very well written book. The problem is the solution is obvious almost from the point the problem is presented. While the dialog is well written with interesting character development, the journey to the inevitable conclusion eventually becomes tedious. Because of that a book that was close to a five star rating only gains three stars.
Angela
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Titan is finally exploring new areas of space. They come across the aliens from 'Encounter at Farpoint' and another race is killing them. This is a really good story with some great character moments. It would have made a good 2 parter. I really liked how Tuvok and Deanna were handled. I am also starting to like the Doctor, who is basically an alien dinosaur. It looks at how things aren't always black and white, that there are usually reasons. There are some very good twists. A really good r ...more
Aaron Eiche
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to get into this book. I don't know what it was, but once I got going, it really pulled me in. Chris Bennett is a great Author and he provides a strong and interesting storyline for Riker and his crew. I found this story to be much more engaging and Star-Trek-like than the previous Titan Book (The Red King).
Though not dependent on the previous books, it's worth reading the first 2 in the series as there's a little important background information.
Luke
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Orion's Hounds, a novel in the Star Trek expanded universe, continues the adventures of the Starship Titan , her Captain Will Riker & her biologically diverse crew.

Once again I had trouble telling some if the characters apart, but aside from that I really found this book to be a bit of a slog. At one point I considered giving the it up and moving on.

In the end I peservered and I'm glad I did. It had a good ending & I enjoyed it well enough
Beth - ;)
More than once I almost put this down without continuing. While I enjoy Trek and reading about the familiar characters (although there are really just three from previous series - Riker, Troi and Tuvok) I am not so much enamoured of science and I had to skip over large sections because I simply did not understand it. The story itself was interesting; once more our friends find themselves in jeopardy while trying to help, but all is well by the end yet again.
Lance
Sep 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Christopher L Bennett's Star Trek books, he's got a nice line in hard-SF within the rules set down in Star Trek. When I read his books, I get that DW New Adventures vibe, which is as high a praise as a tie-in book's ever going to get. Novels like Orion's Hounds are smart and sly, and have some really nice writing.
Linfer
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's good to know the author wrote another Titan book. While the stories of the previous books were great and very engaging, I never really felt connected with the characters. This connection has been made now, plus I loved the technobabble aka lots of interesting science talk which was hard to understand but quite awesome. Looking forward to his next book
K.D. Shepherd
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great addition to the Titan series. Interesting look at the abilities and vulnerabilities of telepaths. An encounter with old allies and foes, plus new species, garners broadening perspectives for all involved. I enjoyed the take on this particular sector of the Universe and the creatures in it. Predictable in Star Trek fashion, yet surprising and fun outcome as well. True Star Trek material!
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Die (Star Trek: A Time to... #2)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: A Time to... #6)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
Christopher L. Bennett is a lifelong resident of Cincinnati, Ohio, with a B.S. in Physics and a B.A. in History from the University of Cincinnati. A fan of science and science fiction since age five, he has spent the past two decades selling original short fiction to magazines such as Analog Science Fiction and Fact and BuzzyMag. For the past dozen years, he has been one of Pocket Books' most prol ...more

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War