Start by marking “Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)” as Want to Read:
Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)

Going Postal

(Discworld #33)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  95,070 ratings  ·  2,844 reviews
Arch-swindler Moist Van Lipwig never believed his confidence crimes were hanging offenses - until he found himself with a noose tightly around his neck, dropping through a trapdoor, and falling into...a government job?

By all rights, Moist should have met his maker. Instead, it's Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork, who promptly offers him a job as Post
Mass Market Paperback, 394 pages
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published September 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Going Postal, please sign up.
Sylvia McIvers Thanks all for answering my question!
Thanks all for answering my question!
While the B. test is not the be-all and end-all, it is just strange that so many women never meet (except that one line, thanks John Kirk).

Is this important? In each book, it's not particularly important, but as a trend it is sad.(less)
Samantha Not really. This was the first book I read in the Discworld series and I wasn't lost. Most of these books are standalones or series that all take…moreNot really. This was the first book I read in the Discworld series and I wasn't lost. Most of these books are standalones or series that all take place in the same universe. It does make occasional references to things that happened in other books, but nothing very important or essential to your understanding of this one. I would really recommend this as a good starting point to get into the series.(less)

·  95,070 ratings  ·  2,844 reviews

Start your review of Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)
Melki
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The mail must get through!

He was part of the government, wasn't he? Governments took money off people. That's what they were for.

Turns out, years spent scamming and conning the public have excellently prepared Moist von Lipwig with the skill set needed to run a vast corporation.

Who knew?

My Discworld-reading for the Humour Club has had its ups and downs. Some books I loved, some bored me to tears, one I didn't finish. I thrilled to the adventures of the witches, laughed/>He
Lyn
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love it when one work of art makes me think of another and my enjoyment of both is enhanced.

The executive office meeting subsequent to the gallows made me think of Mel Brooks’ hilarious 1974 film Blazing Saddles and Harvey Korman’s portrayal of Hedley LaMarr. So throughout the rest of the novel I eschewed the British aristocratic drawl of Lord Vetinari and replaced with Korman’s robber baron prose for full comedic effect.

Granny Weatherwax is still my favorite, but Sir Terry has succeeded again in making a GREAT Discwo
K.J. Charles
Reading for the 400th time. I needed the comfort, and the escape, and the world which has a lot of darkness so you can see the light better. God I miss Pratchett.
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent surprise; I love the Discworld series but was getting tired of seeing the same characters again and again in every book. But this book introduces an entirely new and refreshing cast of characters. I particularly liked the main character and felt he was very well-developed.

Pratchett's books are funny precisely because he has a very firm grasp of human nature. His best work feels surprisingly profound even though you're also laughing so hard you're afraid you might brea
Nate D
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who refuse to read fantasy novels.
This was really surprising, actually. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, given how many people whose opinions I respect are Pratchett fans, but I haven't read a fantasy novel since giving up on Robert Jordan's painstakingly prolonged The Wheel of Time (somewhere in book 5, I think) long before college. Actually, I suppose I read a bunch of the Harry Potters in the interim, but in some ways that felt more like keeping up with pop culture than reading actual fantasy.

In any event, Going Postal was p
E.H.
Jun 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: language and history geeks
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
I picked up this book to read on a 15 hour flight from Chicago to Vietnam, on the assumption that it would be a light, pleasant way to pass the dreary hours (after one flight to China during which I watched the first X-Men film three times, I decided it was best to err on the side of having too many books rather than too few).

My assumptions proved correct, and I enjoyed the book quite thoroughly. Three things struck me:

1) Pratchett's use of language is always fun, and he occasionall
Douglas Wilson
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I haven't read a lot of Pratchett -- I think this is only my second one -- but I do enjoy reading him for the color and the metaphor. The way he turns a figure of speech on the lathe will frequently leave you just sitting there in your chair with a table leg in your hand, and your wife says, "Hey, what's with the table leg." And I say, "I'm reading."
BlackOxford
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british
Monetary Relativity

No better theory of money exists than Pratchett's: money is founded on postage stamps that got out of control. Understanding that fact helps to explain the world better than relativity theory.
Eleanor
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: satire / fantasy nerds
I am probably the last person on earth to read Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I finally did. People have been recommending his books to me for years and although I had planned on starting with book 1, Color of Magic, the bookseller recommended I start with Going Postal instead (they were also out of stock of CoM). Every time I picked this book up I laughed out loud, it has a refreshing wit combined with a sharp perception of people and their funny habits. I ate this book up and bought copy of "Gu ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Still my favorite Discworld book of all time
Suzanne
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

This was really a funny, fun book. Lots of digs at corporations, lotteries, and just life.

“People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red
Jeannette Nikolova
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Going Postal definitely ranks among my top 3 Discworld books. That is to say, Equal Rites will ALWAYS be my favourite, as it was my first, and the one that got me into Terry Pratchett to begin with. After that, the list gets blurrier, but nevertheless, Going Postal is among best.

I saw the Going Postal movie no fewer than 3 years ago and I loved it. Which was my reason to postpone reading this book after I suffered from a severe Terry Pratchett fatigue. Now I'm back, and I'm happy t
Cora Tea Party Princess
One of my favourite Discworld novels - although I'm sure I've said that more thank once.

The way terry Pratchett plays with worlds is great - it adds to the pace and humour of this hilarious novel.
Jovana Vesper
I loved every line and every chapter of this wonderful book.
Deborah Ideiosepius
In this rich complex and darkly humorous story Terry Pratchett takes us to a side of Anke Morpork that the disc-world series had not previously visited; it's post office.

Moist von Lipwig is a con man of major proportions whose last fraud has come to haunt him, caught and about to hang he believes it is all over for him. Saved from permanent death, the Patrician of Anke Morpork, lord Vetinari offers him a job; to revitalise the wrecked and useless Post Office. To do so Moist must use all his ski
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, discworld
What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.
--------------------------------------------

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"
----------------------------------------------

There ar
Kathleen
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have only read the Discworld books featuring the City Watch, and the related follow-up books featuring a spin-off character in this book, Moist Von Lipwig. That's because I'm afraid Pratchett's other books will not be my cuppa. As a writer, he walks a fine line, approaching my personal barrier — too much punnery and parody. I like the City Watch series (see Guards! Guards!) because Pratchett toes the line, proving parody in a neatly plotted mystery with the feeling of film noir, and I love the rich ch ...more
David
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so this wasn't brilliant or incredibly original or anything that a 5-star novel should normally be, but it was funny and fast-paced and hugely entertaining. Pratchett's Discworld, with its hodge-podge of technologies, cultures, and magic, into which he shoehorns whatever anachronistic notion works for the story, shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow you suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

Starting with the cringeingly-named protagonist "Moist von Lipwig," Go
Chris
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, done, fantasy
Six months ago, if you'd tried to tell me I'd really enjoy reading a book about a guy whose first name is "Moist", I would've backed slowly away from you.
Nicole
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The length of time it took to read this book is not a reflection upon its quality. I just haven’t been very good at switching between books lately due to a number of distractions.
This one includes two things I have soft spots for: a talented con artist and the postal service.
As I’ve commented in other reviews, such as The Lies of Locke Lamora, I’m fascinated by a well-executed con. Moist von Lipwig (one of Pratchett’s most deliberately awful character names) is one grade-A con artist. He brillia
Got My Book
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Also posted on my blog Got My Book.

Real Rating = 4.5*

What can I say about Terry Pratchett & Discworld that hasn't been said before? His fantasy has layers inside it's layers.

BOOK DETAILS:
Going Postal by Terry Pratchett, read by Stephen Briggs, published by HarperAudio (2005) / Length: 11 hrs 27 min

SERIES INFO:
This is the first Discworld book about Moist von Lipwig, and is one possible (among many) starting point for newbies. There are two additional books, Making Money & Raising Steam in this sub-series, bu/>SERIES/>Going/>BOOK/>What
Book Wyrm
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-a-tuin
Moist von Lipwig has a forgettable face, but an expert brain for hustling and ripping off his fellow man. Despite having a history of crime, a suspended death sentence and no qualifications, Ankh-Morpok's Patrician decides this faceless little waster is the ideal candidate to save the city's Post Service.

Going Postal is a typical 'under dog outsmarts powerful villain' tale, this time concentrating on the evils of corporatism. It's fine as stories go: I didn't hate any characters, it had a few par/>Going
YouKneeK
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going Postal is the first book in the Moist von Lipwig subseries of Discworld, which is also associated with the Industrial Revolution subseries. In the case of this book, it’s maybe a little more of an “Industrial Counterrevolution”.

The post office in Ankh-Morpork has effectively been out of commission for a while, with tons of undelivered letters sitting around. Meanwhile, over the past several books, we’ve seen the development of a faster and more efficient method of communication called the “Clacks”. However, l
Richard
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
8.5/10

My first real attempt at a Terry Pratchett novel. Quite a while ago I picked up Colour of Magic and read it intermittently without ever really getting into it or thinking it was anything too special. I was given Going Postal as a gift a couple of years ago and finally picked it up and attempted it due to my keenness to get into the Discworld series. I'm glad I did!

It's very different to the normal sort of crime/action books I read and I'm trying to broaden my horizo
Ron
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Cute, but kind of stale--like Seinfeld. It's superficially funny, but you get the feeling it's been done before. Many times.

In light of 2008's financial crisis, Going Postal might be taken as a timely reminder of the fallibility of humans, especially those entrusted with wealth or power.
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, favorites, own, fantasy
I had no idea, back when this was first released, that I'd like it as much as I do, or that Moist von Lipwig would become one of my favorite Discworld characters. In hindsight, maybe it was obvious; I love rogues and I love a good con, and this book has both in spades. Moist's reformation from being an out-and-out lovable swindler is handled so well, and Pratchett never flinches from the reality that Moist's antics hurt real people. I particularly love, though it's kind of inevitable, that (view ...more
Jared
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
In Going Postal, the enlightened despot of Ankh Morpork, Lord Vetinari, rather forcibly recruits a con man, Moist von Lipwig, to take over the running of the venerable and deserted post office, where letters have been accumulating for years -- if not decades -- without delivery. Moist steps reluctantly into the moldy shoes of the Postmaster, only to discover that the previous three occupants of the position died grisly deaths in the execution of their duties (and I use the term "execution" advisedly).< ...more
R. G. Nairam
I care about mail, embezzlement, greedy businessmen, and a main character named Moist.

I wish there was a word for that kind of accomplishment.
Karl Sjogren
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clever, enjoyable read (twice). I followed along in my print copy as I listened to it read in an audio book.
Margaret Wayne
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
very enjoyable and creative, with lots of mail, sneaky humans, and well, Moist

i really loved it :3
Books2Movies Club: Going Postal - book and TV 2 15 May 12, 2018 09:21PM
Letter Writers Al...: Going Postal 2 53 Apr 13, 2017 05:55PM
Escape The Earth!: FWIW: Terry Pratchett Interview in NYT Book Review 1 4 Aug 20, 2014 09:08PM
La Stamberga dei ...: Going Postal di Terry Pratchett 2 21 Jan 16, 2013 08:01PM

• Interesting Times: The Play
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • The Happy Return
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel
  • The Princess Bride
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Ideal Sponger Life Vol. 1
  • Dominion’s End Dominion’s End #1()
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • A New Map for Relationships: Creating True Love at Home and Peace on the Planet
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Procedures For Underground
  • The Raven Tower
  • A Few Days in the Country and Other Stories

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, includin

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” 782 likes
“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?” 730 likes