Start by marking “Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)” as Want to Read:
Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)

Going Postal

(Discworld #33)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  104,855 ratings  ·  3,213 reviews
Arch-swindler Moist Van Lipwig never believed his confidence crimes were hanging offenses - until he found himself with a noose tightly around his neck, dropping through a trapdoor, and falling into...a government job?

By all rights, Moist should have met his maker. Instead, it's Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork, who promptly offers him a job as Postmaster. Sinc
Mass Market Paperback, 394 pages
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published September 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Going Postal, please sign up.
Phillippa Silverlock I think if this was a trend through all of Prachets books this would be a problem. However, in many of his other books, he passes the B test with flyi…moreI think if this was a trend through all of Prachets books this would be a problem. However, in many of his other books, he passes the B test with flying colours. As others have said, this narrative is focused on a man, and is mostly from his perspective.

So whilst it DOESN'T pass the test, because it is not a re-occurring issue with Prachet, I don't think this is something we need to really get too worried about. (less)
Samantha Not really. This was the first book I read in the Discworld series and I wasn't lost. Most of these books are standalones or series that all take plac…moreNot really. This was the first book I read in the Discworld series and I wasn't lost. Most of these books are standalones or series that all take place in the same universe. It does make occasional references to things that happened in other books, but nothing very important or essential to your understanding of this one. I would really recommend this as a good starting point to get into the series.(less)

·  104,855 ratings  ·  3,213 reviews

Start your review of Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)
Anne
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anne by: Anna

This is only my 2nd Discworld book, so technically, I've skipped over 32 books to get to Going Postal. I didn't care for the 1st book in the series, but this one kept getting recommended to me over and over again, so I thought I'd give the audiobook version a shot.
The first several hours were kind of boring and unfunny (to me) so I ended up giving up on it and listening to a few romance novels and a Sherlock Holmes story before I came back and finished it out.

description

Basically, I ran out of oth
K.J. Charles
Reading for the 400th time. I needed the comfort, and the escape, and the world which has a lot of darkness so you can see the light better. God I miss Pratchett.
Melki
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The mail must get through!

He was part of the government, wasn't he? Governments took money off people. That's what they were for.

Turns out, years spent scamming and conning the public have excellently prepared Moist von Lipwig with the skill set needed to run a vast corporation.

Who knew?

My Discworld-reading for the Humour Club has had its ups and downs. Some books I loved, some bored me to tears, one I didn't finish. I thrilled to the adventures of the witches, laughed at the exploits of the Nig
Lyn
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love it when one work of art makes me think of another and my enjoyment of both is enhanced.

The executive office meeting subsequent to the gallows made me think of Mel Brooks’ hilarious 1974 film Blazing Saddles and Harvey Korman’s portrayal of Hedley LaMarr. So throughout the rest of the novel I eschewed the British aristocratic drawl of Lord Vetinari and replaced with Korman’s robber baron prose for full comedic effect.

Granny Weatherwax is still my favorite, but Sir Terry has succeeded again
Ms. Smartarse
For the longest time, Going Postal has been my best known unread book. Having watched and rewatched the SkyOne TV adaptation, I had sort of tacitly decided that actually reading the book was not high on my list of priorities. Plus, Charles Dance is the quintessential Lord Vetinari as far as I'm concerned. Sorry GoT fans, the Discworld was here long before you.

Charles Dance

Moist von Lipwig has dedicated most of his life to perfecting the intricacies of con-artistry, but his unparalleled streak of luck is abou
Trish
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the Industrial Revolution! Well, technically we already had three books belonging to that sub-series (though I only really consider two of those truly to be of that subject), but this one is full of ... industry. And not as in factories but as in a man's industrious efforts.

Meet Moist von Lipwick. No, his parents really didn't think it through when naming him. He is up to no good, cheating people out of money (though always without using any form of violence) and he is about to pay th
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent surprise; I love the Discworld series but was getting tired of seeing the same characters again and again in every book. But this book introduces an entirely new and refreshing cast of characters. I particularly liked the main character and felt he was very well-developed.

Pratchett's books are funny precisely because he has a very firm grasp of human nature. His best work feels surprisingly profound even though you're also laughing so hard you're afraid you might brea
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2020-shelf
Out of all the books in the Discworld series, this is the first one that made me truly go from a fan to a diehard fan. I enjoyed them all, to be sure, but this is the one that made me downright giddy and pleased.

It’s a heist!! Um. Kinda. When a heist meets becoming an avatar for a god of incomplete stories meets confidence trickery meets MAIL DELIVERY.

I mean, this is Discworld. It makes perfect sense. Who other than a successful (albeit caught by Lord V) thief to run the biggest government con j
Melindam
Ankh Morpork is hiring!
WANTED: Postmaster General
Employer: Lord Vetinari , Patrician (former Assassin's Guild member, tyrant & whatnot)
Salary includes danger bonus and a Golem bodyguard, as the former 4 postmasters died mysterious or suspicious (or both) deaths in quick succession within 1 month.

And Lord Vetinari's choice of the perfect man for the post?
...
'Oh, all right. Of course I accept as a natural-born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster, and totally untrustworthy perverted genius.'
'Cap
Nate D
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who refuse to read fantasy novels.
This was really surprising, actually. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, given how many people whose opinions I respect are Pratchett fans, but I haven't read a fantasy novel since giving up on Robert Jordan's painstakingly prolonged The Wheel of Time (somewhere in book 5, I think) long before college. Actually, I suppose I read a few of the Harry Potters in the interim, but in some ways that felt more like keeping up with pop culture than reading actual fantasy.

In any event, Going Postal was purel
E.H.
Jun 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: language and history geeks
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
I picked up this book to read on a 15 hour flight from Chicago to Vietnam, on the assumption that it would be a light, pleasant way to pass the dreary hours (after one flight to China during which I watched the first X-Men film three times, I decided it was best to err on the side of having too many books rather than too few).

My assumptions proved correct, and I enjoyed the book quite thoroughly. Three things struck me:

1) Pratchett's use of language is always fun, and he occasionally makes wond
Douglas Wilson
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I haven't read a lot of Pratchett -- I think this is only my second one -- but I do enjoy reading him for the color and the metaphor. The way he turns a figure of speech on the lathe will frequently leave you just sitting there in your chair with a table leg in your hand, and your wife says, "Hey, what's with the table leg." And I say, "I'm reading."
BlackOxford
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british
Monetary Relativity

No better theory of money exists than Pratchett's: money is founded on postage stamps that got out of control. Understanding that fact helps to explain the world better than relativity theory.
Eleanor
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: satire / fantasy nerds
I am probably the last person on earth to read Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I finally did. People have been recommending his books to me for years and although I had planned on starting with book 1, Color of Magic, the bookseller recommended I start with Going Postal instead (they were also out of stock of CoM). Every time I picked this book up I laughed out loud, it has a refreshing wit combined with a sharp perception of people and their funny habits. I ate this book up and bought copy of "Gu ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Still my favorite Discworld book of all time
Suzanne
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

This was really a funny, fun book. Lots of digs at corporations, lotteries, and just life.

“People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it
Bettie
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-2004
One of the funniest IMHO. Here's the film trailer ...more
Jovana Vesper
I loved every line and every chapter of this wonderful book.
Oleksandr Zholud
This is a humorous fantasy novel, part of Discworld series, but can be read as a standalone. It was nominated for Nebula in 2005. I read is as a part of monthly reading in February 2020 at Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels group.

“You need a thief to catch a thief”, an old maxim, which both describes the idea behind a story and may be proven wrong at the same time. Moist von Lipwig is a con artist, is about to be hung. He is ‘saved’ by a local enlightened dictator Vetinari and receives a proposal
Jeannette Nikolova
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Going Postal definitely ranks among my top 3 Discworld books. That is to say, Equal Rites will ALWAYS be my favourite, as it was my first, and the one that got me into Terry Pratchett to begin with. After that, the list gets blurrier, but nevertheless, Going Postal is among best.

I saw the Going Postal movie no fewer than 3 years ago and I loved it. Which was my reason to postpone reading this book after I suffered from a severe Terry Pratchett fat
Cora Tea Party Princess
One of my favourite Discworld novels - although I'm sure I've said that more thank once.

The way terry Pratchett plays with worlds is great - it adds to the pace and humour of this hilarious novel.
Deborah Ideiosepius
In this rich complex and darkly humorous story Terry Pratchett takes us to a side of Anke Morpork that the disc-world series had not previously visited; it's post office.

Moist von Lipwig is a con man of major proportions whose last fraud has come to haunt him, caught and about to hang he believes it is all over for him. Saved from permanent death, the Patrician of Anke Morpork, lord Vetinari offers him a job; to revitalise the wrecked and useless Post Office. To do so Moist must use all his ski
Richard
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
8.5/10

My first real attempt at a Terry Pratchett novel. Quite a while ago I picked up Colour of Magic and read it intermittently without ever really getting into it or thinking it was anything too special. I was given Going Postal as a gift a couple of years ago and finally picked it up and attempted it due to my keenness to get into the Discworld series. I'm glad I did!

It's very different to the normal sort of crime/action books I read and I'm trying to broaden my horizons with different styles
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, discworld
What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.
--------------------------------------------

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"
----------------------------------------------

There are many, many characters in the
Kathleen
I have only read the Discworld books featuring the City Watch, and the related follow-up books featuring a spin-off character in this book, Moist Von Lipwig. That's because I'm afraid Pratchett's other books will not be my cuppa. As a writer, he walks a fine line, approaching my personal barrier — too much punnery and parody. I like the City Watch series (see Guards! Guards!) because Pratchett toes the line, proving parody in a neatly plotted mystery with the feeling of film noir, and I love the ...more
David
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so this wasn't brilliant or incredibly original or anything that a 5-star novel should normally be, but it was funny and fast-paced and hugely entertaining. Pratchett's Discworld, with its hodge-podge of technologies, cultures, and magic, into which he shoehorns whatever anachronistic notion works for the story, shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow you suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

Starting with the cringeingly-named protagonist "Moist von Lipwig," Going Postal i
Chris
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, done, fantasy
Six months ago, if you'd tried to tell me I'd really enjoy reading a book about a guy whose first name is "Moist", I would've backed slowly away from you.
Nicole
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
The length of time it took to read this book is not a reflection upon its quality. I just haven’t been very good at switching between books lately due to a number of distractions.
This one includes two things I have soft spots for: a talented con artist and the postal service.
As I’ve commented in other reviews, such as The Lies of Locke Lamora, I’m fascinated by a well-executed con. Moist von Lipwig (one of Pratchett’s most deliberately awful character names) is one grade-A con artist. He brilli
YouKneeK
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going Postal is the first book in the Moist von Lipwig subseries of Discworld, which is also associated with the Industrial Revolution subseries. In the case of this book, it’s maybe a little more of an “Industrial Counterrevolution”.

The post office in Ankh-Morpork has effectively been out of commission for a while, with tons of undelivered letters sitting around. Meanwhile, over the past several books, we’ve seen the development of a faster and more efficient method of communication called the
Caroline
The protagonist reflects on his new assignment: making the collapsing clacks (telegraph) system viable, as he has the post office.

He would have to keep the trunk running, gods knew how. He’d sort of promised the gnu, hadn’t he? And it was amazing how people had come to rely on the clacks. … But it was a big, cumbersome monster of a thing, too many towers, too many people, too much effort. There had to be a way of making it better, and sleeker, and cheaper. Or maybe it was so big that no one coul
Hugo & Nebula Awa...: February 2020 - Going Postal (No Spoilers) 41 33 Mar 13, 2020 01:47AM
Books2Movies Club: Going Postal - book and TV 3 20 Feb 22, 2020 11:46AM
Hugo & Nebula Awa...: February 2020 - Going Postal (Spoilers) 11 19 Feb 11, 2020 09:54PM

• Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Unseen Academicals: Adapted for the Stage
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Тенета Війни
  • Berlin: The Twenties
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel
  • Missing Wings: Chronicles of the Aranysargas (Aranysargas, #1)
  • Експрес до Ґаліції
  • A Gallery of Mothers (Brathius History #2)
  • Dracula 1
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • Squarriors Vol. 1: Spring

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)