Start by marking “Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)” as Want to Read:
Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)

Four to Score

(Stephanie Plum #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  127,683 ratings  ·  2,925 reviews
Nabbing Maxine Nowicki, thief and extortionist, would be the answer to Stephanie’s prayers and monetary woes. The only trouble is that Maxine is no where to be found, and her friends have been mysteriously turning up dead. To make matters worse, Stephanie’s arch nemesis since grade school is also looking for Nowicki, hoping to cash in first.

Stephanie’s mentor and tormentor
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published June 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Press (first published June 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Four to Score, please sign up.
Charlie Shae The only one who got off without charges was the girl she was hunting in the first place (and she did still have to go to court for missing her origin…moreThe only one who got off without charges was the girl she was hunting in the first place (and she did still have to go to court for missing her original court date. They just couldn't make charges stick on her for the 'kidnapping' of her ex.(less)

·  127,683 ratings  ·  2,925 reviews

Start your review of Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to Four to Score, the 4th book in the "Stephanie Plum" cozy mystery series, written in 1998 by Janet Evanovich. I was still playing catch-up on this series when I read this one several years ago. Hard to believe this series is nearly 25 years old. Wow! In this little caper, Stephanie's trying to find a waitress who causes lots of trouble. And she seems to have stepped it up a notch now that those who come in contact with her wind up dead. Then there's Joyc
L.E. Fidler
Choko
*** 4.25 ***

A re-read with the BB&B group

What can I say in order not to repeat myself on every review and sound like the typical fan-girl? Nothing. I am a fan-girl when it comes to this series and find JE to be one of the best authors out there in ability to make people laugh, even when confronted with some really tough themes and situations. Does she use stereotypes and make fun of bigotry and biases? Yes, she does. The difference is that there isn't one intentionally hurtful or hateful sentime
Jilly
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
"You're Calamity Jane in fucking Spandex!"

True. Stephanie manages to get not one, but two cars blown up in this book, along with her apartment. It might be some kind of record. But, the good news is that with no apartment (and let's not even mentioned that poor Rex's life was endangered again) we find Stephanie in need of a place to stay. A safe place. Like maybe with a certain good-looking cop that she played doctor with at the age of 6??

So, in this one Stephanie has a simple job: bring in
Alisha
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Yay! So glad I read through to this, the fourth book in the Stephanie Plum series. Within the first 30 pages, I knew I would enjoy it more than the previous three (and they themselves weren't bad at all).

For one, the "I brushed my teeth, put on nighties, fed my hamster, got in bed and fell asleep" coverage is greatly scaled back (though, it was a minor gripe before, anyway). Instead we're treated to more action, more plot. I found myself loathe to stop reading for any reason (sleep, work, etc).
Cyndi
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Great book! Fun!! What's not to love about Sally? Also, love that when Steph and Joe finally get together, it's not 'love ever after', "let's pick out china".

Reread- March 2018
When Stephanie is asked to hunt down a waitress who skipped bail after stealing her ex-boyfriend's car she thinks it'll be easy. That's before the ex-boyfriend offers her extra cash on the side if she'll tip him off to Maxine's location before the cops get involved though. It turns out that Maxine has been leaving clues for her ex and now Stephanie finds herself on a crazy treasure hunt trying to figure out what Maxine is really up to. When Maxine's friend loses a finger and her mother gets scal ...more
Book Concierge
Audiobook read by C J Critt
3.5***

This is book four in the popular Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie’s still pretty inept at her job, her romance with Morelli is heating up, she’s responsible for a couple of cars blowing up, Grandma Mazur is as nuts as ever, Steph gets a new “partner” in a cross-dressing leader of a rock band, and she tangles with rival bounty hunter Joyce Barnhardt.

The earlier books in the series are very entertaining, but I lost interest after about book 12. I re-read this one
Tilly Slaton
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had a lot of fun reading this book! This is the second time that I’ve read this series, and I must admit, I am laughing just as hard now as I did the first time around.

Lula and Stephanie Plum’s team work has become something of a force of nature.

“Drop your gun, you punk-ass old coot,” Lula yelled. “you don’t drop your gun, I’m gonna bust a cap up your ass!”

Vinnie, the slime ball cousin that owns and operates the bond agency that they work at, has begun to pop up in the books more often now
Hillary
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don’t have anything new to say about this series. Every sequel is funnier than the last.

But with this fourth book we finally see a turning point in Steph and Joe’s relationship. YAAAASS FINALLYYYYY.
What happens next is HILARIOUS: neither of them say anything but somehow Joe’s family think they live together, then that Steph is pregnant, then that they are getting married, and lastly that they’re already married. Obviously, as if it weren’t enough, the news circulate to the entire Trenton cit
Darce
Sexy! My favourite book in the series yet! Team Joe foreverrrrr. And, as per Stephanie Plum, absolutely hilarious!
Kate
Nov 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: evanovich
Two things I learned from this book...everyone in the Burg carries a gun and the women of the Burg seem to be carrying the biggest guns. Secondly, my life is completely boring compared to Stephanie Plum.

In Four to Score we can add yet another blown up car to Stephanie's list not to mention her apartment which is torched which leads her right into the arms of Morelli. Add a Grandma Bella and a Grandma Mazur to the story and you've got yourself one heck of a book...I finished this book and kept r
☆Brittany☆
Oct 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good laugh!
Shelves: mystery, humor
I had the *hardest* time getting into this book. I have read the previous 3 Stephanie Plum books - which I thoroughly enjoyed & couldn't stop reading - but this time it took me forever to finish.

I think my main problem with reading it was that I have been super busy & when I haven't been busy I've been tired & this book didn't suck me in like all the other books had.

Evanovich still made me laugh - she has a great sense of humor & an amazing way with words but I'm assuming my lack of interest to
Anita
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, audio
Stephanie's latest skip, Maxine Nowicki, should be an easy one. She only took her boyfriend's car for a joyride after an argument. No reason for her to not want to appear and clear this all up, right? Wrong, so wrong. Now all Stephanie has to do is find her, easy-peasy? NOT! Maxine is no where to be found and her mother and friends are showing up with pieces missing. On top of it all, Vinnie has hired Joyce Barnhardt, Stephanie's worst nightmare enemy, to find Maxine too.

On the road to finding
Tijana
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
"I want to shoot him," Sally said. "Nobody'll tell, right?"
"No fair," Lula said. "I want to shoot him."
"Okay," Grandma said. "On the count of three, we'll all shoot him.”

Can't remember when was the last time I watched a TV show, because every time I think about doing it, I realize I actually want to get back to this series.
I swear they're like an amazing Netflix show, just that instead of episode after episode, I'm binging book sequels.
So glad there's like 64839272519204728 of them left.
Donna
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is technically my second time reading this book. I read it several years ago but I never actually reviewed it. I needed a book for a Goodreads challenge and it fit so I decided to read it again.

There is just something about a Janet Evanovich book. You can't not love it.

Stephanie
Stephanie is the most unlikely bounty hunter there has ever been. She stumbles and bumbles her way around and usually does catch her man. Just not in her personal life. She has two men very determined to bed her bu
Catherine
May 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Oooh! We get intellectuals in this one - codes no less! Don't worry, we don't have The Da Vinci Codestyle disappointment of finding out how trivial they are really because the details are not revealed, they're simply beyond Stephanie's brain and get passed on to Sally. I do like the way the cast of supporting characters is growing with each book and each of them brings something new to the party.

This was the last of the first block of these I read, as I was missing (or at least thought I was mi
Diana
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: janet-evanovich
I stopped reading these for a while and I am glad that I am back. I absolutely love Stephanie Plum and this one did not disappoint. I managed to read it all in one day and was pleasantly surprised at the resolution. Usually, there are a couple different situations that need to be resolved, and this is no different. In addition, there were some hilarious characters. Loved Sally, the drag queen who isn't actually gay and the member of a popular rock band. Then, there's Joe Morelli, who you wish wo ...more
Kirsten
These books are great for if you are in a funk. I cannot see how anyone could read one without laughing out loud all the time. (It upsets my dog when I do that.)

In this one, once again Stephanie can not get a break. But at least she gets laid - frequently. Drag queens, arson, and counterfeiting - as well as old high school enemies who are still enemies. What fun!!
Bhanuj
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lits
Another bounty hunter adventure of Stephanie Plum. This novel finally broke the dry spell in Stephanie's sex life. It was funny, sassy, chick and entertaining!

Lula is slowly driving up on my list of kickass female characters.
3 for the story, adding half a star for the laughs. If you're looking for a book to listen to at 3am when trying to find the sandman, this series is a good choice. It's a little violent for me, but the laughs make up for it. A nice escape read.
Tracy
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy these books because they make me laugh out loud. Grandma Mazur, Lula and all the ridiculous comments that get made! And I like to see if I can figure out the mystery before it's all revealed...

Book 4 was fun and I'll do book 5 soon!
fleurette
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Stephanie Plum
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
Many people love this series, to me it's just one of these nice reads.

Stephanie is given a new task, she has to find Maxine, a girl accused of stealing her boyfriend's car. Seemingly easy task, turns out to be much more difficult since no one saw Maxine for few days. Stephanie will need some help from her friends while also meeting some new interesting people. Soon catching Maxine becomes only one of Stephanie's problem.

The story is okay, nothing special. I won't remember it after few weeks. Th
Jessica
May 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Plum fans!
Imagine finding yourself burnt, or getting beat up or even shot at! All of this comes with Stephanie Plum’s job’s territory. It’s occupational hazard. She’s a bounty hunter. In the fourth book of the series, Stephanie is after Maxine, a first time offender who stole her boyfriend’s car after a fight. The problem is Stephanie is not the only one after her. Her nemesis, Joyce, has given up her make-up counter job at Macy’s for the glamorous job of felon apprehension, and is after the same felon! J ...more
Mandy
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm really starting to have a problem with how often Janet Stephanie thinks of overweight people as "fatties." Stephanie eats like a pot-smoking college kid, she just happens to have a pretty decent metabolism so she doesn't put on the pounds. I love these books, don't get me wrong, but I find it hard to love a character who looks down at other people who share her weaknesses.

And I'll never understand why some authors feel it's fine to body-shame people of any size.

Knocking two stars off this o
Anastasia
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Four to Score by Janet Evanovich is the 4th Stephanie Plum novel. Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is assigned t bring in Maxine Nowicki who is charged with stealing her boyfriends car and becomes targeted by a crazed fire bomber as well as a counterfeit ring. Another fun, light read with plenty of action and laughs. I love all the characters and their eccentricities and various talents. Always have a fun time with this series.
Elaine
At what point does this series jump the shark? I'm not sure, but I think book 4 is when all that potential energy starts coiling up for the leap.

This is the one about counterfeit money. Joe Morelli, Ranger and Lula continue to be recurring characters, and Janet E. introduces Sally Sweet in this one. Joe is working a case in partnership with the feds after phony twenties start showing up in Trenton. Meanwhile, Stephanie pulls a job to pick up Maxine Nowicki, who assaulted her ex-boyfriend Eddie.
Randy Tramp
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed this series up to this point. It took a turn down the sleazy and raunchy road. A cross dresser is one of the main characters and I wasn't impressed.

Lula was funny, always wanting to shoot something or someone. She shot out a tire while a lady sat in the driver's seat to get rid of the pest. "Can I shoot him," Lula argued with two others when a would be thief tried to steal their purses. Stephanie, the calm one, told them they couldn't shoot anyone.

Hopefully, the series gets back to
Carmen
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, mystery-crime, 2019
2019 An author's work: Janet Evanovich
Monthly Challenges - March: Mysterious March

To cry with laughter, I think it's the funniest book in the series so far.
Amy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, and-a-half
2.5ish stars?
I liked the story and the cast of characters. And while I get that having the main couple finally heading to bed together makes for the semi-humorous, non-pregnancy plot-line, I feel the author could have dragged out the romantic tension much longer.

• Top Secret Twenty-One: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich - Review Summary
  • Full House (Full #1)
  • Hero at Large
  • Foul Play
  • Wicked Charms: A Lizzy and Diesel Novel by Janet Evanovich - Summarized
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • The Help
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • Macronutrient Basics: Your Guide to the Essentials of Macronutrients—and How a Macro Diet Can Work for You!
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • L is for Lawless (Kinsey Millhone, #12)

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
  • Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11)