Start by marking “I Lick My Cheese: And Other Real Notes from the Roommate Frontlines” as Want to Read:
I Lick My Cheese: And Other Real Notes from the Roommate Frontlines

I Lick My Cheese: And Other Real Notes from the Roommate Frontlines

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  635 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Like the bestsellers PostSecret and Found, I Lick My Cheese appeals to the voyeur in all of us and presents uncensored evidence from everyday lives. Presenting four-color reproductions of all kinds of notes between roommates along with her own witty commentary, Oonagh O’Hagan humorously reveals the ridiculous experiences, twisted battles, and petty desperation of people wh
Published April 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams (first published October 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I Lick My Cheese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Lick My Cheese

karen
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-laughter
this book is okay; everyone else seems to find it way more hilarious thatn me. while it is true that some of the notes make you want to meet the authors of them and kind of find out just what the hell is wrong weith them, its overall pretty tame (read: english). im curious to see some less restrained redblooded new york roommate notes, but maybe people round my neck of the woods dont bother writing notes, we just get punchy...
Christina
I love books that are compilations of found notes, but there was one thing about I Lick My Cheese... that I could live without: the author's commentary and/or humorous speculation as to the story behind the notes.

If you were to compare I Lick My Cheese... to Frank Warren's PostSecret books, you'd see what I mean. Frank Warren doesn't explain the postcards he publishes, but instead leaves them open to interpretation by the reader.

Oonagh O'Hagan prefers to write a little blurb about each note. In
Kellie
Another silly book I happened to find at the dollar store, so why not give it a try? Some parts of it were funny, some parts of it were 'meh'.
My one gripe was that some of the notes were difficult to read (some really bad penmanship), and having the note transcribed underneath would have been helpful to the reader. Anyone that has had roommates (the good, the bad and/or the ugly) would probably get some laughs from this book.

The website that this book stemmed from (www.roommatesanonymous.com) se
Jenny
Aug 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover note "I lick my cheese" is the best note in the book. I like the concept, but I think a funnier group of notes could have been found.
Enter your notes at www.roommatesanonymous.com
Tara
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
I found this to be more a perusal book. I couldn't bring myself to sit down and read through it page by page. Overall its mildly amusing, but read it or don't--your life isn't going to change much.
Macks Soto
I thought this book was ok, could have been funnier and too long for my taste.
duckduckbook
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not great, kinda inappropriate.
Nickie
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: august-2014-2015
I did not go searching for this book. I stumbled acrossed it while at the library. Seeing as how I had some time to kill, I figured I would check this out for a day. I was sadly disappointed. This was "wrote" by a British author, so some of the jokes may not have been as funny to me (being an American). I really enjoy the random streams of Roommate Notes that get posted online, but these were no where near as hilarious. I know humor is subjective, but I was extremely underwhelmed and cannot ev ...more
Amy
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
This book contained a great many funny notes that had me laughing for a good long time, however there were also many that I did not find funny at all. They were very "meh", and I found myself wondering why they were included. While I'm on that subject, some of the authors commentaries were very funny - she included some of her own experiences and funny stories of flat-sharing, which added a little bit extra to the book, but again, I feel that some of the commentaries were added just to pad the b ...more
Judy
This very funny book appeals to the voyeur in all of us and presents uncensored evidence from everyday lives. The pages contain reproductions of all sorts of notes between roommates along with the authors comments. The notes run the gamut from angry, downright hostile, and irate to silly and sweet. Living with roommates, as many of us learned at some point, is not for the faint of heart. "From the bedroom to the living room and all the filthy kitchens and bathrooms in between, every imaginable t ...more
Lucie
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes an interesting and often very surprising read. It reminded me how lucky I am with my flatmats at dorms and also that I was right to feel uncomfortable in my previous flat. But there were two things that I did no like very much - first, the notes are handwritten and often very hard to read. The writer apparently encoded all of them so it would be nice to add a transcription to the illegible ones. And then there are the writer's comments about the notes - sometimes they werevery he ...more
Keera
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone With Previous Roommate Experience
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
I'm a huge fan of these sorts of books (such as Found, Mortified, and Post Secret). I got this for Christmas and finished it in a few hours. I really enjoyed it. It's light and funny. As someone who had to move out on her first roommate, I can completely appreciate where the writers of these notes are coming from. However, some of the words stumped me because I believe their British terms, but the author's notes explained the situation well. So if you're not at all familiar with British slang an ...more
Whitney Garrett
There's something about reading strangers' notes to each other that I really enjoy (that sounds super weird). But the snapshot into people's lives (most often without context) that is very interesting and amusing. This book was sort of like Passive-Aggressive Notes, which I also enjoy.

It was okay, not great. Nothing to write home about, so if found notes isn't already something that interests you, this wouldn't really be the place to start. (For that, I recommend passiveaggressivenotes.com)

CONTE
Fourborne
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
The title "I Lick My Cheese" made me pick up this book. If you have ever had a roommate you'll immediately understand. This is a collection of notes left by real roommates to each other. The author added commentary about who, what, why etc...,I thought it would be a lot more humorous, but I only had two laugh out loud moments (my measure of humor). It was a light read, good for a read fix if you are addicted to reading and need to read now and finish it quickly.
Michelle Ablett
I usually really like these types of books..
I didn't find that many of the notes funny or interesting and a huge amount were incredibly hard to read (partly because of bad handwriting and sometimes because it was photocopied blurry!) and those that were funny or interesting were slightly ruined by the huge amount of text that accompanied it and 'funny' remarks.
I prefer to read this sort of book where it is simple note after note after note and we're left to form our own opinions.
Helen
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could totally relate to this book. Having flat-shared with 7 other people, notes were continuously left around the place, increasingly ruder and angrier as the year went by.
Whilst other people didn't enjoy the authors notes, I did. It broke up a book which can be flicked through, or time to read the explanations or thoughts behind the notes.

A throughly good read, especially if you have ever been in that position.
Mercedes
Mehehe. I couldn’t help giggling out loud whilst reading this. It’s a great present for anybody who’s faced or is thinking of facing flat sharing. Read it before, during, and after the experience. In hindsight there are many of these notes that I could relate to and several that I was glad I couldn’t! The only thing I didn’t like was that quite a few of the more self-explanatory notes had comments from the author that added little to the read and would have stood stronger alone.
Godzilla
A lively, quick read which transported me back to my years of college and house sharing. Some great notes, some weird notes and some painfully familiar notes. I've had my share of anally retentive housemates obssessing over trivia, but my own personal nadir was a house mate who ate a pizza and drank a bottle of wine, leaving a note offering to replace them at a later date. Leaving me hungry and facing a trek to the off licence.
Angela
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I Lick My Cheese and Other Notes: From the Frontline of Flatsharing is an easy-to-read, amusing book. It's a compilation of notes, written by people who share flats, covering a variety of subjects. A few of the notes made me laugh out loud, but the biggest plus point for me was the fact that it didn't require much concentration!
Alexandra
Thought this one would be a lot funnier. It was kind of boring and sad.
Brought to mind really rundown shithole apartments with cluttered, filthy kitchens and countertops all covered in dried food and goodness only knows what else. And just..filthy bathrooms with grime everywhere. Ew. I'm making myself sick.
I would never want to live with a roommate. Ever. sefp[pf
I think once or twice I laughed out loud. For like a second. But just..no.
Amanda
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
This was a hilarious collection of notes left by roomates. Each page consists of a note left and the author either makes comment on the note or explains the situation. I haven't laughed so hard since I read Shit my Dad Says. I really enjoyed the imagination some people have and the excuses people use for their roomates. I loved it!
Although the book seems long, it's quite a fast read, I finished it in an hour.
Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
The only thing that kept this one from a 5-star rating is the fact that I don't find gross to be synonymous with funny. Gross is just gross.

But other than the gross ones, which wasn't even half of them, this was hilarious. I think anyone who has had to share space with another person for more than a day can appreciate this.

Also, some people are psycho, but that was hilarious in this context, too.
Monica
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I enjoyed this book however didn't feel the author's little 'quips' accompanying the notes added anything at all...the notes were enough in their own right! I think instead of the author's opinions and anecdotes, most of which weren't funny and seemed rather forced, the note should have been transcribed, as some were hardly legible!
Petya
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
most of the actual notes are really funny - written on all kinds of materials, discussing crazy flat-sharing situations - some we've all been in, some surreally bizarre :)
sadly, the author's comments exceed the amount of note content and are far from amusing. the book would have been a hoot if it were only a collection of notes with much fewer comments. meh.
Ash
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Thoroughly enjoyed this book . That may be because I could relate to quite a lot of the notes throughout .
I must admit I skipped over some of the explanations as they were simply the authors thoughts rather than the actual back-story to the note .
No doubt I will find myself flicking through this on a semi-regular basis .
Marianne Stehr
It is funny, but there are many Europeon slang terms, flat, bum, bloke...that are a little hard to understand at first and then the writing on the notes themselves is so poor that you find yourself squinting to see if you can read it. Funny, but seriuosly don't buy it, swap it or find it at the library, laugh for a few minutes and then give it back.
Anne
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just laugh-out-loud funny. i've had the chance of sharing space with roomies - back in college, and now, still am. it's fun when you love the people your'e with, but overall, it may be a hit or miss. such an enjoyable book, definitely satisfies my voyeur tendencies! and if you're fond of posting notes or lil pick-me-up post-its like me, you'd cherish this book, too!
Delight
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
This was an amusing collection of real notes left my roommates. After finishing this quick read, I was happy and relieved that those days are over for me (although my roommmates were great, I like my space!). These notes go to prove that if you're looking for a roommate, careful screening is a must!
Amie M
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must-read if you've ever had a roommate. And for those of us that haven't had one in forever (almost 15 years here), it will be a hilarious reminder of why we choose autonomous living.

It literally took little more than an hour to read so you have no excuse!
Jenny
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, it brought back memories...but I have to say that in 10 years of having roommates, I don't remember the notes, there must have been some, but it's all faded into the annals of time...super fast read & amusing.
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
  • Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Creepiosity: A Hilarious Guide to the Unintentionally Creepy
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • 50 Boyfriends Worse Than Yours
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • P.S. I Hate It Here!: Kids' Letters from Camp
  • Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • Dear Old Love: Anonymous Notes to Former Crushes, Sweethearts, Husbands, Wives,   Ones That Got Away
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • 1,001 Facts that Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader