Start by marking “Thunderbolts: Justice, Like Lightning...” as Want to Read:
Thunderbolts: Justice, Like Lightning...

Thunderbolts: Justice, Like Lightning...

(Thunderbolts (1997) #1-4, Annual 1997)

Into the chilling void of super heroes left at the climax of Onslaught leap the Thunderbolts, a new squad of heroes who promise to pick up the torch dropped by Marvel's varsity heroes. But this group has a sinister secret...they are, in disguise, the mailicious Masters of Evil.
Published January 1st 2001 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 1997)

Start your review of Thunderbolts: Justice, Like Lightning...
Todd
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2-14
I love the Thunderbolts.

Moonstone and Songbird are two of my favorite comic book characters. Songbird is victim of circumstance. Moonstone is batshit crazy.

Zemo is a crazy villain. I'm a big fan of Atlas and Mach-#. They are guys trying to make good. They start bad but you can tell early on the plan was to turn them into good guys.

Jolt is definitely the weakest of the bunch but she's still somewhat fun. She has the same problems as Jubilee. They really wanted to create the next Kitty Pryde.
Holden Attradies
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was.

I adore the Thunderbolts, but until now the few things I'd read featuring them from before Civil war had been hard to follow from overly-convoluted comic writing. But the story in here was very solid, very easy to follow. On top of that the character development over just 8 issues worth of comics was incredibly sold and very believable. Knowing a little bit of what happens to these characters later on, especially Songbird (who is my favorite) I co
Kurt Rocourt
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel-tpb
When this book came out there was nothing like it on the market. It was a strange idea at the time. It's now been copied so many times that people forget that this is the one that started it all. The quality of this book is what carries it above it's successors. The simple idea of bait and switch is something I'm sure other writers wish they could have pulled off as well as this book did.
M.T. Miller
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A bit dated by today's standards but really, REALLY good for its time.
The characters were pretty strong and some of them (like Zemo and Songbird) later grew quite a bit from what was established here.
A fun read.
Andrew
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sold
I was aware of this title when it first came out, but I wasn't reading a lot of mainstream Marvel stuff at the time, so I didn't buy it then. And the premise sounded a little corny. Well, it is a little corny, I guess, but it's a fun book.

Kurt Busiek is a really good mainstream superhero writer. He also does some more ambitious stuff, like Astro City and Marvels, but this isn't quite like those. It's not turning the genre on its head or anything like that. It's fun, but silly, with a lot of big
Brian Rogers
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
My daughter discovered Songbird in Avengers Forever and asked to see more of her, so I pulled out my Busiak Thunderbolts. This first volume is solid if disjointed. It's not Busiak's best work by a long chalk, but it holds together well enough. The central metaphor of being careful what you pretend to be because you become what you pretend to be giving space for a redemptive arc for a cluster of Marvel villains is an interesting concept that is pretty well executed. Busiak's work on Thunderbolts ...more
Mark Isaak
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
An intriguing premise, that the villains take on roles of heroes to gain power, and the writers began, or at least hinted at other interesting character developments, but none of them went anywhere in this collection. Mostly, it was one battle after another. The writing was heavy-handed, almost to the point of saying, e.g., "Hey reader, don't miss the fact that Spiderman saved that guy's life!"
Jordan Risebury-Crisp
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to the team.
Some of the art and panelling was cluttered and difficult to follow.
Kurt
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. This is a combination of a bunch of stuff I don’t really care about, but it’s very well written/drawn.
Gary Lee
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Essentially inessential, like a majority of Marvel's mid-to-late-90s output.
Unless you're a fan of any of the main characters in this book (in either Hero or Villian guise), or are a DC fan who's curious as to how Marvel handled their version of the '52' concept (10 years before DC tried it out), there's really no reason to pick this one up. Yes, it's a decent Superhero title, but "decent" is as good as it ever gets. And considering Marvel went back and erased/retconned most of the devestation l
Devero
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Da una grande idea ben disegnata deriva un gran bel fumetto.
In seguito a Onslaught, gli eroi protettori dell'America sono scomparsi. Restano i mostri, i sociopatici, i criminali, i reietti. Chi riempirà questo vuoto?
La rivelazione dell'ultima pagina del primo numero dei Thunderbolts è ancora oggi qualcosa che dà un brivido.
Tim
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fan's of 1970's Marvel
Shelves: comicshelf
This was such an amazing concept when it came out. Who would have ever thought that the bad guys would be the Thunderbolts? A terrific concept that culminated in a truly amazing climax. A perfect example of superhero writing for comic books.
Orrin Grey
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I like the early Thunderbolts stories, especially the first issue, and there are lots of fun 2nd-, 3rd-, and 87th-string villains in attendance, but this collection is pretty uneven.
Brent
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
Bravo Kurt Busiek... and Georgia's own Mark Bagley, for reanimating Marvel superheroes (and, um, villains) during a fallow period.
Tyler Odom
Mar 02, 2018
Omar Bywazonu
Oct 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Night's Master  (Tales from the Flat Earth #1)
  • Big Jack (In Death, #17.5)
  • 75 Short Masterpieces
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • Asterix Omnibus, vol. 10 (Asterix, #28-30)
  • Specter of the Past (Star Wars: The Hand of Thrawn Duology, #1)
  • The Highway (Highway Quartet #2)
  • What Would MacGyver Do?: True Stories of Improvised Genius in Everyday Life
  • A Maze of Stars
  • The Second Confession (Nero Wolfe, #15)
  • Let There Be Laughter: A Treasury of Great Jewish Humor and What It All Means
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
  • The Kingdom of Gods (Inheritance, #3)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
  • A.D.: After Death
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

Thunderbolts (1997) (1 - 10 of 81 books)
  • Thunderbolts (1997-2003) #1