Start by marking “DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers” as Want to Read:
DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers

DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers (DMZ #7)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,218 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The story of Matty Roth, the ultimate embedded war journalist trapped in a most unlikely war zone: the street of New York City, or as the world nowknowsit,the DMZ.

In this seventh volume in the graphic novel series, the status quo of the series is tossed out the window as Matty, back from his misadventure in Staten Island, finds Parco Delgado in office as provisional govern
Published September 8th 2009 by Vertigo (first published September 2009)

To ask other readers questions about DMZ, Vol. 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DMZ, Vol. 7

Joshum Harpy
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The latest installment of Brian Wood's DMZ series continues to impress. The series as a whole deals with the personal side of war, focusing on those stuck in the demilitarized zone in between a speculatively fictional civil war in the united states in the near future. Wood excels at telling exceptionally human stories under exceptionally inhuman circumstances, and this volume is no exception to the high standards set by the previous six.

The compelling war scenarios of DMZ are all consistently to
Aaron
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another solid if fairly predictable volume. After all the buildup and hero worship Matty had for Parco Delgado in the previous volume, in this one we start to see some of that start to unravel here. It's further proof that you can't take anyone at face value in the DMZ, but that's kind of what I thought was going to happen from the very moment Parco was introduced. That said, I do respect Wood for not just flipping a switch and suddenly turning Parco into some kind of evil mastermind. He's still ...more
Ben
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plano-library
Illustrations of the first and final parts are too cartoony for the tone of the storyline. Characters have devolved into two main types: badass major players with big talk and background cannon fodder cardboard cutouts. The overall story has promise, but the execution in each volume leaves a lot to be desired.
Eric Mikols
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vertigo
I guess I'm just reading this as a completionist. It never does anything for me but I used to like the series so I keep hoping something will click with me. I'm fully aware the low stars are because of me and not the book.
Patrick
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Matty becomes a less likable character as he gets more deeply involved in the politics of the DMZ. This was another issue that seemed it could have come right out of today's headlines.
James
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comicbooks
It's very hard to remain neutral and impartial.
Du4
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
DMZ ramps back into a storyline that makes up for the past transgressions of the last couple of shitty stories. Wood has obviously recognized the less-than-reputable behavior of his lead character and decided to face it head on.

The first story contained herein is about Staten Island, and how it's become this one part of the DMZ where soldiers from both sides of the civil war pretty much just hang out and get high all day. It's a "Boystown" kinda vibe, but naturally, something happens to fuck it
Gavin
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The series gets back on track here, in my opinion, after the whole last issue was about politics, elections, and power. Not that those still aren't issues here, but...

Matty has joined Delgado's camp/side, and in chosing a side, things have changed for him. He finds himself no longer close with some he was, and in bed metaphorically with people he wouldn't have ever thought he was.
By the end of the issue, we see Matty has become just as calculating as some of the other personalities that he start
Andrea Meijomil
En esta entrega nos encontramos con tres historias distintas:

- La isla: En esta corta entrega seguimos a Matty en su visita a las tropas americanas que se encuentran fuera de Manhattan esperando recibir la orden de atacar. La vida diaria de estos soldados, a sólo unos kilómetros de la DMZ, es bastante distinta a lo que pudiéramos esperar y tienen más de una sorpresa que desvelar. El giro que dan los acontecimientos mientras Matty está allí, además de ser un sorpresa, nos recuerda que incluso las
Chris
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Another good installment in the DMZ series. War Powers covers the different ways the factions try to maintain stability in the periphery of NYC - Staten Island - and how Matty gets caught in the mix of Delgado's political machinations. Though the story was compelling, Matty's naivete was frustrating and a little unnerving. (view spoiler) ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
The Island (35-36). Wood is very good at showing us different sides of the war, and that's exactly what he does here. Then he twists it around, then he does so again. Overall, a great story that keeps you on your toes [8/10].

War Powers (37-40). I'm not sure I like Matty any more. As the title of the previous arc suggests, he's now got blood in the game. He's being manipulated, but he's also a manipulator. He's not the nice guy who came to the DMZ. Still, I respect the fact that this arc puts tha
Bryce Holt
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Definitely sets the story back on the right path. Thought the story showed very well how the political climate had changed, and how those power shifts were changing the game for all parties (USA, Free States, etc.) and their treatment to those living in the DMZ. I really enjoy this story, but wish it were more about the city itself (like the part about Staten Island and its parallels to the prisoner abuse done by the Americans during the war as well as Wilson in Chinatown) and not just the major ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Opening with a shorter, meaningful but too obviously implausible story, “War Powers” ultimately reaches the high level of storytelling I’ve come to expect of DMZ. We see Matt redefining himself as a member of the Delgado team as he swears off propaganda and aims for the idealistic reporting of truth he used to vouch for. Lots of elements are in motion and something big is obviously on its way. I can’t wait to find out what it is.
Douglas Koehne
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it
There is a lot to like about the DMZ series. A unique story, some good art, and small cast of characters written with complexity. In saying that, although I enjoy reading the stories when the latest TPB comes out, I never have developed a real need to read the stories immediately. I'd rank the ongoing story and this TPB in particular in the 2nd or 3rd tier of comics being published today - far behind The Walking Dead or the Hellboy/BPRD series.
Koen Claeys
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
The first story 'The Island' is just bad storytelling with a totally unbelievable premise. The art by Kristian Donaldson (The Massive) is solid.
The main story 'War Powers' is more realistic, has a fascinating storyline and the character development makes me curious about what's to come. I adore Burchielli's artwork.
The trade ends with the excellent one-shot 'Zee'.
A pity about those first 44 pages in this book.
Bri
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think the story is most compelling now that we have an over-arching plot, with Delgado now taking over as Mayor of the DMZ. The aside on Staten Island was okay. The last section from Zee was great, so good that it alone probably brought this up from 3 to 4 stars. I'm just finding I'm very torn about how I feel towards Matty Roth. I also can't help but wonder if I would find this series anywhere near as compelling if I didn't live in NYC.
Cameron
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Matty starts to go off the rails as the series get on track again.

The first story ("The Island") is a bit ho-hum does little more than occupy Matty while events for the main story get rolling in his absence. The Zee one-part story at the end doesn't really do much except put her on-ice while the main story keeps going.
Paul
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, military
Maybe its because I haven't been keeping up with DMZ for so long but I didn't find the story line in this volume as good as the others. It starts off well, looses its way a little in the middle but Zee's story at the end saves it and I think its that story line that's going to make me read the next volume.
Steve
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great installment in this series. With the election of Parco Delgado the political map of the DMZ is being rewritten. I really enjoyed seeing how Brian Wood handled the reactions of each of the major players. And their moves to gain/stay in power. It's a great game of political chess. I love it.
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
War Powers takes us further into the politics of the DMZ and Matty's alliance with Parco. This particular chapter had all sorts of portentious political satire hanging over it. I forsee some really dark days ahead as Matty loses the last shreds of innocence he's been clinging to (or not). It's fascinating to see where Brian Wood is going to take us.
David Bales
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
The last volume in the series as of now, the chronicle of the civil war between the U.S. and the Free States. Matty Roth visits the surreal "non-war" on Staten Island, where FSA and USA soldiers have a good thing going (for awhile) and then back to the DMZ of Manhattan where it's proved that eventually, everybody does business with everybody. Brilliant and a little too close to home.
Odhran
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dmz
More ho-hum Matty running around being a big bad boy in the DMZ. Saved from mediocrity by the bookend stories - a bunch of US and Free States soldiers who've put aside their differences to start, and a little what-Zee's-doing update at the end. Zee's one of my favourite characters in the series, and I'm glad to see more of her.
Deidre
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Wood continues to unwind new threads and questions which keeps DMZ a fascinating read for me. I found it improbable that the "Ghosts" had the bargaining chip that they had. However, the questions and "what if"s that are presented as the DMZ's transitional government fights for recognition are interesting, realistic and a parallel to foreign affairs today.
Frank
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
We finally make it to Staten Island. Brief side story, but we take what we can get.

Overall, this is mostly buildup of the current story arc with a huge plot development that is going to be a game-changer.
andrew y
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Best volume yet, far better than number six. Getting back in the right direction, especially with the "No Future" arc. Over the hump now, can see the end, wondering how this could possibly be summed up.
Jason
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars, really, but the narrative really takes off in the second half of this one. The first half is heartbreaking and brilliant- Wood captures really effectively the tension of the uneasy alliance between groups of soldiers and its unravelling.
Karol
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
With the shift in the tone and the narrative, there's a weird shift in the prominence and roles of various supporting characters. The curiosity on my part to see the series through is there, but I'm still adjusting to the changes.
Maryanne
Sep 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A bit of a slower transitional story although interested to see where the series is going.
Nelly Paulina
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
that was a great read! speechless.
Dan
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Epic stuff. loved every panel.
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 12: Dirty
  • Scalped, Vol. 4: The Gravel in Your Guts (Scalped, #4)
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 7: The Wound
  • Unknown Soldier, Vol. 1: Haunted House
  • The Boys, Volume 5: Herogasm
20493
Brian Wood's history of published work includes nearly thirty volumes of genre-spanning original material.

From the 1500-page future war epic DMZ, the ecological disaster series The Massive, the American crime drama Briggs Land, the blistering youth culture action trilogy The Couriers, and the groundbreaking lo-fi dystopia Channel Zero, Wood has a proven track record of marrying socially-conscious
More about Brian Wood...