Start by marking “Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5)

Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum #8.5)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  67,841 Ratings  ·  1,685 Reviews
Stephanie Plum In Between the Numbers Christmas novel

It's five days before Christmas and things are not looking merry for Fugitive Apprehension Agent Stephanie Plum. She hasn't got a tree. She hasn't bought any presents. The malls are jam-packed with staggering shoppers. There's not a twinkle light anywhere to be seen in her apartment.

And there's a strange man in her kitch
Mass Market Paperback, 230 pages
Published November 17th 2003 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Visions of Sugar Plums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visions of Sugar Plums

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
3,609 books — 6,697 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
1,734 books — 1,823 voters

More lists with this book...

James
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
Book Review
3+ out of 5 stars to Visions of Sugar Plums, the first cross-over book between Stephanie Plum and Diesel, written in 2002 by Janet Evanovich. As part of a marketing approach to launching a new series, this book places Stephanie in a most unusual place right around Christmastime. As she's trying to get her life on track, a man materializes in her apartment. She can't figure out how he got in and starts wondering if he's a vision or a ghost. It's Diesel... a very hot man... just wha
Jilly
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, novella
Cute, fun, short. Also, angry elves.

It was Lorraine in her nightie and Mo in his cap.
They'd just settled their brains for a long winter's nap in front of the television.
When out in the lot there arose such a clatter,
they sprang from their recliners to see what was the matter.
Away to the window they flew like a flash,
tore open the blinds and threw up the sash.
And what to their wondering eyes should appear,
but Stephanie Plum and yet another of her cars burning front to rear.
Cyndi
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
So cute!

Reread April 2018—I am a huge fan of Stephanie and all their zany antics. This is the story that introduces Diesel and the magical world of people with special talents. In this book we have Steph searching for Sandy Claws. He’s a toy maker and is hiring little people to work in his factory. Is he really Santa? Hmm.🤔
Cute story and an excellent addition to my Christmas read list. 🎅🏻
Fangirl Musings
Dec 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one- why? It sucked!
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: Owned in my personal library
Shelves: genre-fiction
After reading the first few pages in the book, at the onset I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy this book. After reading the first chapter, I knew I'd hate it!

Not only did the story seem excessivly rushed, with countless scenes being skimmed over with no detail whatsoever, but the charaters alone were basic and uninteresting. The plot alone was horrible, with a somehow supernatural dude popping into the main character, Stephenie's, life without an explanation whatsoever. The supernatural aspe
Kourtney
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
I got impatient waiting for the next Stephanie Plum book to come out so I thought I would go back and read one of the books released in between. Normally I like these books because they make me laugh, they are quick reads and the characters are well developed. This book made me laugh and was a quick read; however, it felt rushed and not fully developed. All of a sudden it just ended. It also involved a character that is in some of her later novels but the events that happened in this book are ne ...more
Tracy
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
OMG I can not read any more of these books. I am totally done. Reading these books is like watching a terrible sitcom with a laugh track that says "you should be laughing now"...but I'm not. These books are trite, cliched and just plain uninteresting. I don't have any idea why Diesel was dropped into the story with a silly "supernatural" element and honestly, how many times can we hear about the hamster in his hamster wheel and how Stephanie's car blew up yet again. I know lots of people love th ...more
Tiffany PSquared
It's very hard for me to dislike a Stephanie Plum book. Evanovich would have to do something pretty drastic to make me hate it. This book was no different.
This is Stephanie's first run-in with Diesel (from the Lizzy & Diesel series) and it proves to be an exciting and electrifying meeting from beginning to end.
Tara
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Well, this book review is mostly tainted by the person that read the book since I listen to this series on audio.

I'll start with the story. It was an ok story although the addition of a supernatural element was more than a little strange in what has been a reality-ish based series for the 8 previous books. And the addition of yet another man that's attracted to Stephanie is becoming ridiculous. I mean every hot man that enters the series becomes a potential love interest. Doesn't she ever have
Elizabeth
I like the Stephanie Plum books, but this book just doesn't seem to fit in the series. It is funny, of course, but it doesn't feel like Stephanie Plum. Ranger and Vinnie aren't in this book, and Morelli and Lula only get a handful of pages apiece. Stephanie spends most of the book in the company of Diesel, a supernatural superhero who flirts with her and chases superpowered supernatural villains. I don't think the supernatural elements fit too well with the Plum novels, either, and it isn't even ...more
Tracy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first story in the series where we are introduced to Diesel. It's another laugh out loud adventure and I loved it!
Natasa
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, the last third of the book was hillarious. I was laughing out so loud, I was afraid the guests in the next room would think I've gone nuts. Luckily I was listening the audio book from my laptop and not on my headphones how I usually listen to them.

This is my first encounter with Janet Evanovich work and this series. I kind of jumped in the middle, but I chose this book because it was the shortest, a bit less than 200 pages and 3 hours of audio book.

I have no idea if all of her books are s
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 6

In Dept

Best Part:
Little back story
Worst Part: Too short for me.
Thoughts Had: Santa!; creepyyyy.

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
maybe.
Recommending: yes

Short Review: This was a nice little short story to add to Stephanie Plum
It's five days before Christmas and Stephanie, the world's worst bounty hunter, has been tasked with apprehending Sandy Claws. Hunting down a toymaker just before the holidays isn't much fun but she needs the bounty he'll earn her so that she can afford to celebrate Christmas. As of right now she doesn't have any decorations, she's relying on her parents for dinner and she hasn't bought a single present so the situation is getting critical.

Visions of Sugar Plums is all the fun of a Stephanie Plu
Paula Ratcliffe
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
With the holiday season coming I thought I would jump in and read some holiday books, and what better way to head to Trenton NJ with our fearless lucky bounty hunter Stephanie Plum who is down on the Christmas spirit trying to hunt Sandy Claws, she also meets Diesel who winds up in her kitchen. Diesels job is to catch Mr. Ring who is out to hurt Sandy.

This was full of so much humor with a child thinking she's a horse and is Stephanie's neice, to Grandma Mauzer missing her teeth. They spend time
Winter Sophia Rose
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Lighthearted, Hysterically Funny Read!!! I Loved It!!!
Linda Munro
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Stephen Plum novels; so, how is it that I managed to miss this one?

I noticed this book displayed at the library’s holiday book display and of course, I had to read it.

The book had all my favorite, lovable characters: Stephanie, Joe Morelli, Lula, The Plum parents and of course, Grandma Mazur. It also had Stephanie’s sister, her nieces, and our favorite little person, Randy Briggs.

In this episode, Christmas is closing in and Stephanie needs to collar her skip, one Sandy Claws (former
Jackie Lane
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
With only four days until Christmas, Stephanie awakes to find a man in her kitchen. Finding a man in her house is not new to Stephanie, she has had all kinds of crazy and this is just a drop in the bucket. His name is Diesel and Stephanie is not sure how he got in, apparently he just "popped" in. He is tall, sexy and very mysterious and accordingly, has "superpowers". Stephanie tries to get him out of her apartment as she needs to apprehend Sandor Clausen aka, Sandy Claws, an older man who makes ...more
Paula  Phillips
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Have you ever read a character from one of your favourite series and thought hmmm, I wonder how they came up with that character. Well , as I was reading the Christmas Novella of the Stephanie Plum adventures and to my surprise the author Janet Evanovich had introduced a supernatural character named Diesel and I was like OMG thats Diesel from her latest series Wicked Appetite and Wicked Business.
As we are also used to strange men popping up in Stephanie Plum's novel , at first she doesn't blink
Corie
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars Really, NOT 3.

I LOVE to read most all things... Supernatural, Paranormal, Preternatural,... just "Other" in general. Even some sci-fy, distopian and fantasy. But I do have a few "Non-Other" books and series that I enjoy and look forward to reading. The Stephanie Plum Books are some of those "Non-Other" books that I love.

This Stephanie Between the Numbers has crossed over a bit and I can't decide if I'm thrilled with the mix. Somehow "Other" in Stephanie's world just doesn't seem to fit
Connie N.
#8.5 in the Stephanie Plum series

This was just silly. It wasn't up to Evanovich's usual standard of humor and entertainment, although there were flashes of her style from time to time. I'd probably rate it 2.5 stars, but because all the usual characters were there with the addition of Diesel (from the Lizzy & Diesel series), I'll round it up for GR. In this case, Stephanie is trying to find Sandy Claws, a skip who seems to be running a toy shop just before Christmas, hiring a number of littl
Shawnee Bowlin
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Janet Evanovich knows how to evoke a laugh with her far-out vision of Stephanie Plum's family. Although I found the character Diesel to be a little too farfetched, and a little confusing to the reader considering the relationship between Stephanie and Morelli, it was still fun to follow the story as they chased the bad/not so bad guys. The grandmother is hilarious, and I'm hoping to discover more about the elusive Diesel in other books Janet has written.
Rebecca
Dec 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Stephanie Plum fans
I needed to read this book yesterday. Stephanie Plum serves as a huge pick me up for me. This book did not disappoint. A little different than the full lake Plum mysteries. There was even a bit of the supernatural, but otherwise pretty much true to Evanovich's form.
Emily
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the whole supernatural aspect was somewhat weird and I'm not really a fan of it, at least not in this series. Despite that I laughed out loud numerous occasions.
smalls
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any one who likes comedy, sci fi, fantasy, and a bit of romance
this was a light, quick read. I laughed outloud several times. No sex scenes. It was a perfectly fun christmas read.
Selah Pike
2.5 stars - Cute, but Diesel is not an adequate substitute for Ranger.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Not as good as the regular number books. However was a cute quick read.
Lynn
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Of course I've read this! I've read them all! And love them all! Even the "in-betweens"! :)
Andrew
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picked this up on a lark....very strange and dysfunctional, but funny and entertaining.
Kathy Davie
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First recorded read was August 14, 2009.

First in the Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novels and falling in at 8.5 in the Stephanie Plum romantic suspense series revolving around a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey. If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the Stephanie Plum books on my website.

My Take
I remember the first time I read Visions of Sugar Plums. And it was disconcerting. Very little Joe. No Ranger. But a lot of Diesel. Enigmatic, mysterious, and very che
Blue
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fluff.

It was cute and strange, but there was some strongly-hinted and possibly confirmed magic that doesn't fit the main series at all so as long as it stays out of the main series it is okay. I'd describe it like fanservice although it isn't the sex scene the author suggests the readers want in the way she writes the love triangle, so fluff, or non-cannon holiday filler.
Janet Evanovich B...: Diesel Love 26 126 Nov 02, 2015 09:44AM
The Women's Myste...: #9 Visions of Sugar Plums 1 4 Aug 09, 2013 10:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Visions of Sugar Plums 1 6 Feb 13, 2012 11:43AM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:34PM
  • Foul Play
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • R is for Ricochet (Kinsey Millhone, #18)
  • Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4)
  • Bubbles A Broad (Bubbles Yablonsky, #4)
  • Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4)
More about Janet Evanovich

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Roseanna (Martin Beck, #1)
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Everyone wants a Christmas tree. If you had a Christmas tree Santa would bring you stuff! Like hair curlers and slut shoes.” 57 likes
“I wasn’t sure anymore what made a good marriage. There had to be love, of course, but there were so many different kinds of love. And clearly, some love was more enduring than others.” 12 likes