Start by marking “Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5)

Visions of Sugar Plums

(Stephanie Plum #8.5)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  70,839 ratings  ·  1,859 reviews
**A Stephanie Plum In Between the Numbers Christmas novel**

It's five days before Christmas and things are not looking merry for Fugitive Apprehension Agent Stephanie Plum. She hasn't got a tree. She hasn't bought any presents. The malls are jam-packed with staggering shoppers. There's not a twinkle light anywhere to be seen in her apartment.

And there's a strange man in her
Published November 17th 2003 by St Martins Press (first published November 5th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Visions of Sugar Plums, please sign up.
Jess Yes, it is stand-alone, however it isn't a good example of the rest of the series. I suggest you start with book #1: One for the Money
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
3,871 books — 7,100 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
1,831 books — 2,036 voters

More lists with this book...

·  70,839 ratings  ·  1,859 reviews

Start your review of Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5)
James
Book Review
3+ out of 5 stars to Visions of Sugar Plums, the first cross-over book between Stephanie Plum and Diesel, written in 2002 by Janet Evanovich. As part of a marketing approach to launching a new series, this book places Stephanie in a most unusual place right around Christmastime. As she's trying to get her life on track, a man materializes in her apartment. She can't figure out how he got in and starts wondering if he's a vision or a ghost. It's Diesel... a very hot man... just
Jilly
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, novella
Cute, fun, short. Also, angry elves.

It was Lorraine in her nightie and Mo in his cap.
They'd just settled their brains for a long winter's nap in front of the television.
When out in the lot there arose such a clatter,
they sprang from their recliners to see what was the matter.
Away to the window they flew like a flash,
tore open the blinds and threw up the sash.
And what to their wondering eyes should appear,
but Stephanie Plum and yet another of her cars burning front to rear.
Fangirl Musings
Dec 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one- why? It sucked!
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: Owned in my personal library
Shelves: genre-fiction
After reading the first few pages in the book, at the onset I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy this book. After reading the first chapter, I knew I'd hate it!

Not only did the story seem excessivly rushed, with countless scenes being skimmed over with no detail whatsoever, but the charaters alone were basic and uninteresting. The plot alone was horrible, with a somehow supernatural dude popping into the main character, Stephenie's, life without an explanation whatsoever. The supernatural
Cyndi
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
So cute!

Reread April 2018I am a huge fan of Stephanie and all their zany antics. This is the story that introduces Diesel and the magical world of people with special talents. In this book we have Steph searching for Sandy Claws. Hes a toy maker and is hiring little people to work in his factory. Is he really Santa? Hmm.🤔
Cute story and an excellent addition to my Christmas read list. 🎅
Anita
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, audio
This is a Christmas Stephanie Plum book that introduces the character of Diesel. Diesel pops into Stephanie's kitchen one morning 4 days before Christmas. Stephanie has no clue who he is, where he came from, or why he is there. Diesel dosen't know where he is or why. Diesel decides to go with the flow and starts to follow Stephanie around as she tries to find FTA, Sandy Claws. Needless to say Stephanie looses another car and finds the Spirit of Christmas. It was a fun, fast, holiday book.
Karen ⊰✿
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wheelathon3
Stephanie is out looking for Sandy Claws as he has jumped bail and she needs to bring him in so that she has some money to buy Christmas presents and pay the rent. A guy called Diesel suddenly turns up in her apartment and he is also looking for Sandy, who it turns out runs a toy factory full of short people. Add in a grandmother that has a new "stud muffin" and we have a book full of lots of laughs, holiday cheer, and just general good fun.
Tracy
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
OMG I can not read any more of these books. I am totally done. Reading these books is like watching a terrible sitcom with a laugh track that says "you should be laughing now"...but I'm not. These books are trite, cliched and just plain uninteresting. I don't have any idea why Diesel was dropped into the story with a silly "supernatural" element and honestly, how many times can we hear about the hamster in his hamster wheel and how Stephanie's car blew up yet again. I know lots of people love ...more
Kourtney
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
I got impatient waiting for the next Stephanie Plum book to come out so I thought I would go back and read one of the books released in between. Normally I like these books because they make me laugh, they are quick reads and the characters are well developed. This book made me laugh and was a quick read; however, it felt rushed and not fully developed. All of a sudden it just ended. It also involved a character that is in some of her later novels but the events that happened in this book are ...more
Tiffany PSquared
It's very hard for me to dislike a Stephanie Plum book. Evanovich would have to do something pretty drastic to make me hate it. This book was no different.
This is Stephanie's first run-in with Diesel (from the Lizzy & Diesel series) and it proves to be an exciting and electrifying meeting from beginning to end.
Shelley
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poop-on-toast
The bookmark was pulled in a fit of rage when a character named Sandy Claws was introduced. I should have known better considering Christmas is the worst holiday, but I have an unhealthy amount of self hatred.
Tara
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Well, this book review is mostly tainted by the person that read the book since I listen to this series on audio.

I'll start with the story. It was an ok story although the addition of a supernatural element was more than a little strange in what has been a reality-ish based series for the 8 previous books. And the addition of yet another man that's attracted to Stephanie is becoming ridiculous. I mean every hot man that enters the series becomes a potential love interest. Doesn't she ever have
Elizabeth
I like the Stephanie Plum books, but this book just doesn't seem to fit in the series. It is funny, of course, but it doesn't feel like Stephanie Plum. Ranger and Vinnie aren't in this book, and Morelli and Lula only get a handful of pages apiece. Stephanie spends most of the book in the company of Diesel, a supernatural superhero who flirts with her and chases superpowered supernatural villains. I don't think the supernatural elements fit too well with the Plum novels, either, and it isn't even ...more
Paula Ratcliffe
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
With the holiday season coming I thought I would jump in and read some holiday books, and what better way to head to Trenton NJ with our fearless lucky bounty hunter Stephanie Plum who is down on the Christmas spirit trying to hunt Sandy Claws, she also meets Diesel who winds up in her kitchen. Diesels job is to catch Mr. Ring who is out to hurt Sandy.

This was full of so much humor with a child thinking she's a horse and is Stephanie's neice, to Grandma Mauzer missing her teeth. They spend time
Donna
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I've kind of given up on this series, but this one was a book challenge read. This Christmas edition to the series was a short novella. Overall, I liked the characters, but that is never my problem with this series. I like Stephanie Plum and the others. They are funny and personable. I just struggle with their constant stagnation. No one grows. No one progresses. Every new book is filled with the same antics. Some funny. Some not. To me, it feels formulaic. So 3 stars.
Lisa
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is really silly...but I still liked it.

It's very Christmassy with plenty of Grandma Mazur, a bit of Morelli and some Lula bits to keep me happy.

Recommended for Stephanie Plum fans but it is a bit ridiculous (I mean more ridiculous than usual haha!).
Tracy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first story in the series where we are introduced to Diesel. It's another laugh out loud adventure and I loved it!
Natasa
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, the last third of the book was hillarious. I was laughing out so loud, I was afraid the guests in the next room would think I've gone nuts. Luckily I was listening the audio book from my laptop and not on my headphones how I usually listen to them.

This is my first encounter with Janet Evanovich work and this series. I kind of jumped in the middle, but I chose this book because it was the shortest, a bit less than 200 pages and 3 hours of audio book.

I have no idea if all of her books are
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 6

In Dept

Best Part:
Little back story
Worst Part: Too short for me.
Thoughts Had: Santa!; creepyyyy.

Conclusion

Continuing the Series:
maybe.
Recommending: yes

Short Review: This was a nice little short story to add to Stephanie Plum
It's five days before Christmas and Stephanie, the world's worst bounty hunter, has been tasked with apprehending Sandy Claws. Hunting down a toymaker just before the holidays isn't much fun but she needs the bounty he'll earn her so that she can afford to celebrate Christmas. As of right now she doesn't have any decorations, she's relying on her parents for dinner and she hasn't bought a single present so the situation is getting critical.

Visions of Sugar Plums is all the fun of a Stephanie
Anastasia
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich is the first Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers book and follows book 8. It is nearly Christmas and bounty hunter, Stephanie Plum is after a toymaker Sandy Claws. This book introduces us to a mysterious character Diesel who has certain special abilities including being able to open all locks. A fun, quick read with a few supernatural elements, although not up to the standard of the usual Stephanie Plum novels.
Winter Sophia Rose
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Lighthearted, Hysterically Funny Read!!! I Loved It!!!
Karin
If you like a a funny, fluffy Christmas mystery sprinkled with magical realism then this may well be for you. Nothing brilliant, but at times laugh out loud funny (so there's that--it is no mean feat to make me laugh in almost every single book I've read by an author, even if some of the jokes have grown stale).

A new character, Diesel, is introduced in this in-between book--I already "met" him when I read a different holiday one, and it's Diesel plus a couple of other characters that bring this
Linda Munro
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the Stephen Plum novels; so, how is it that I managed to miss this one?

I noticed this book displayed at the librarys holiday book display and of course, I had to read it.

The book had all my favorite, lovable characters: Stephanie, Joe Morelli, Lula, The Plum parents and of course, Grandma Mazur. It also had Stephanies sister, her nieces, and our favorite little person, Randy Briggs.

In this episode, Christmas is closing in and Stephanie needs to collar her skip, one Sandy Claws (formerly
SB*needs low angst books*
Cute funny novella that introduces the Diesel character. A touch of paranormal since he is a unmentionable and has certain enhanced abilities. Stephanie Plum is a character that is not a fav as she can work my nerves and I don't like the whole love triangle but I do like the many characters so that made this a fun little read.
Katherine "Kj" Joslin
Meh, I didnt love it and cant wait to get back to the main series.
Stevie Jo
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a super short little novella? Or short story?
I thought it was amusing.... very Lifetime movie like. Cheesy meets old lady vulgarity. Weird cringey phrases like his package and hes a hottie are all throughout. Its a pretty silly little story that mixes Christmas fantasy with rom com and a touch crime fiction.

Its entertaining, its short, and its about Christmas. Solid 3 stars.
Megan
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I needed this today. Stephanie just makes me happy
Jackie Lane
May 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
With only four days until Christmas, Stephanie awakes to find a man in her kitchen. Finding a man in her house is not new to Stephanie, she has had all kinds of crazy and this is just a drop in the bucket. His name is Diesel and Stephanie is not sure how he got in, apparently he just "popped" in. He is tall, sexy and very mysterious and accordingly, has "superpowers". Stephanie tries to get him out of her apartment as she needs to apprehend Sandor Clausen aka, Sandy Claws, an older man who makes ...more
Paula  Phillips
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Have you ever read a character from one of your favourite series and thought hmmm, I wonder how they came up with that character. Well , as I was reading the Christmas Novella of the Stephanie Plum adventures and to my surprise the author Janet Evanovich had introduced a supernatural character named Diesel and I was like OMG thats Diesel from her latest series Wicked Appetite and Wicked Business.
As we are also used to strange men popping up in Stephanie Plum's novel , at first she doesn't blink
Corie
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars Really, NOT 3.

I LOVE to read most all things... Supernatural, Paranormal, Preternatural,... just "Other" in general. Even some sci-fy, distopian and fantasy. But I do have a few "Non-Other" books and series that I enjoy and look forward to reading. The Stephanie Plum Books are some of those "Non-Other" books that I love.

This Stephanie Between the Numbers has crossed over a bit and I can't decide if I'm thrilled with the mix. Somehow "Other" in Stephanie's world just doesn't seem to fit
Play Book Tag: [Fall Flurries] Visions of Sugar Plums by Janet Evanovich 3 stars 1 9 Dec 24, 2019 02:23PM
Janet Evanovich B...: Diesel Love 26 147 Nov 02, 2015 09:44AM
The Women's Myste...: #9 Visions of Sugar Plums 1 4 Aug 09, 2013 10:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Visions of Sugar Plums 1 6 Feb 13, 2012 11:43AM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:34PM

• Full House (Full #1)
  • Hero at Large
  • Foul Play
  • Top Secret Twenty-One: A Stephanie Plum Novel by Janet Evanovich - Review Summary
  • No Place Like Home (Cisco, #1)
  • The Canary List
  • The Poky Little Puppy's First Christmas
  • Christmas Camp Wedding (Christmas Camp #1.5)
  • The Serious Goose
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • The Crystal Fix: A modern guide to the healing power of crystals for the home
  • Dragon Denied (The Covert Dragons, #7)
  • Elemental Energy: Crystal and Gemstone Rituals for a Beautiful Life
  • Bruce's Big Fun Day (World of Reading: Level 1)
  • 12 Stories of Christmas
  • The Golden Empire: Spain, Charles V, and the Creation of America
  • Dear Santa, I Know It Looks Bad But It Wasn't My Fault!
  • Peace Maker

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)