Start by marking “Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)” as Want to Read:
Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)

Drops of Gold

(The Jonquil Brothers #2)

Layton Jonquil has spent the four years since his wife's death in the isolated sanctuary of his home, Farland Meadows, with only his daughter Caroline. Mary Wood, a flame-haired, out-spoken, overly-cheerful governess descends on the household changing both their lives and unearthing secrets Layton would rather remained buried and forgotten. Can one woman bring love back in ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Drops of Gold, please sign up.
Cydnie I like reading them in order, but appreciate the fact that each story can stand on its own as a separate novel. I actually read #4 first, then found…moreI like reading them in order, but appreciate the fact that each story can stand on its own as a separate novel. I actually read #4 first, then found out it was part of a series when I did my Goodreads review.(less)

Start your review of Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)
Kathleen
3+ stars for this enjoyable but slightly bland Regency. Since I totally ♥  Seeking Persephone, it made sense to try another of Sarah Eden's novels.  Glad I did! I closed the book feeling good, with a satisfied sigh. True, I preferred Seeking Persephone for various reasons. For examples, Drops of Gold did not have the suspense and adrenaline-pumping fear factor that SP had. In fact, it was a tad slow at times, even though I chuckled more than once, and read the entire book without stopping. I could describe it as sweet, but it's ...more
Jane
4.75 stars - pg/mild pg13

Loved it!! (Of course!) Love this author! Love this large fictional family of well-raised, true gentlemen who can always be counted on to support each other and to show respect to the women around them, starting with their mother! I rarely re-read books; Sarah Eden's books are one of the exceptions (along with Georgette Heyer) -- I will gladly re-read hers for years to come. So far I've read this one twice and loved it just as much both times.

"Ah, furuncle!" ---/>"Ah,
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
June 2015: I'm not sure what it is about this one, besides the obvious, but I just love it. I really like Marion's character and even Layton. Its been fun reading this series in order. Now I'm off to read As You Are. I hoping all the brothers get stories. :)

After reading As You Are this week I had to go back and read Layton's story. I loved it just as much this time around. While I love all of Ms. Eden's books this is still a favorite.

I loved Layton and Marion, they had a great relatio
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Such a great book! The author perfectly balances the angst, conflict, humor, romance, and hope. I especially loved Marion's relationship with the daughter Caroline and the light she brought to the home. I also appreciated the way Layton's brothers helped him overcome his struggles. A lovely romance!
Clara
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Endearing!

Ah, furuncle!
Apparently, I’m in the mood for a Jonquil “readathon”.

Once again Sarah M Eden has captured my heart with a story full of the love, hope and light that helps us overcome hardship, bringing laughter and a good dose of healing.
Jim
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four stars is on the generous side. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of Eden's books but this one had a few major blemishes. (1) The whole idea of her being left destitute from an advantaged wealthy situation to the point of begging? No jewels - nothing to keep her afloat until things got settled? (2) The conflict between Mary and the other servants was left to "it was strained" - zero dialogue. Good grief, the house lady lied about her position and salary and it just gets dropped! Nothing more is ...more
Katie W
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book!!! I loved the storyline and the relationship between Mary/Marion) and Caroline. And of course, the relationship with Layton. :) This book really drew me into the 1800s and the lives of these characters. I love seeing the characters from some of the other books make appearances and to get to know them in a different way.

Mary/Marion is penniless and has nowhere else to go--except to get a job as a governess. She lies to get the job and when she shows up, they act
Tandie
Not strictly a Christian romance. There were strong themes about forgiveness, mainly about forgiving oneself & overcoming guilt. Not preachy.

I enjoyed Marion's stories, she was a fun character. Layton wasn't nearly as dark and brooding as I'd hoped, given the gothic feel of the first few chapters. There was cheese, and both MCs took a martyrish turn towards the end, but overall, a nice story. A happy, quick read.
3.5 stars rounded up for Goodreads
Natalie
This is actually the first book that I have read by Sarah Eden. An enjoyable regency romance that is #2 in the Jonquil Brother's series. It seems each book in the series can stand-alone and be read out of order. I really liked the main character and her creative, spunky personality.
Natasha
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a vast improvement over the previous book in this series. Although the genteel lady who hides her identity to work as a servant is a plot that's been done by several authors, this story managed to hold my interest and had me rooting for Layton and Marion. Lady Marion, the daughter of a recently deceased marquess, accepts a position as governess to the four-year-old daughter of Layton Jonquil. As with most stories in this trope, the heroine is the balm needed to heal the hero's anguished ...more
Kelly
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great story! I can't get enough of these Jonquil brothers!
herdys
4,5 stars! I thought I liked her first book in the series but this one I FREAKING LOVED!

It tugged at my heartstrings from the beginning with the sweet child that was Caroline. She was such a little old lady at heart. I loved that she had both our otp wrapped around her finger, but especially her daddy.

We met Layton in the first book, like all the brothers, but it was obvious he had problems and wasn't alright since his wife's death. Once everything was explained, it just broke, what
Donna Hatch
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the very beginning and could hardly put it down. A more emotional, and, at times, darker story than Sarah normally writes, it swept me along and kept me rooting for the characters to the very end. The perpetually sunny disposition of the heroine was a perfect foil for the hero who was so sad and haunted. At times, it almost felt like an old-fashioned Gothic, which was fun. I can't wait to read about the rest of the Jonquil brothers! Another triumph for Sarah M. Eden!
Tori (Book Chick)
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-and-re-read
March 2013:Super sweet love story!! I loved Marion's optimism. Perfect to warm up this cold, yucky day!

RE-read Dec. 2014: I don't know why I only gave this 4 stars the first time I read it. 5 stars all the way. Idk if I am hormonal or what, but I feel like I cried 1/2 the book... I know I yelled at Layton a couple of times and said, "Oh bless his heart" a few times too. Marion... bless her heart. She is so beautiful and optimistic and I want to be more like her. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Re-Read March/>Re-Read/>RE-read
TJ
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet, thoroughly enjoyable escape.
Tito
This was so good! I think Ms. Eden is now a staple author for me. Her stories are just so sweet and cute, and always leave me with a smile on my face. Usually regency novels aren't for me (I just don't find them that interesting) but her characters are just so much fun to read about, and you can't help but find yourself rooting for them. Characterization is really the best thing about her books. The writing isn't mind blowing, and there isn't always a huge plot, but reading about the interaction ...more
Mary
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love that Marion's positivity was not a result of naivety but she was able to laugh through the tears because she weathered the storms of life and came out stronger. She had a heart to make a difference in the lives of others. I disagree with her on that Marion is not a better name than Mary, but then again I am biased on that.😄
Amy
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh Layton! What a dolt. Though admittedly, an adorable one. I remember when one of my colleagues at the bookstore put this in my hand. Her comment to me was an irritation over the cover model being an complete mistake as the heroine within has red hair. Not just red hair, but mentioned enough times to really matter. It's something you'd think there would be correlation on during the publishing process, and rarely the fault of an author, who has little say in design. This matters to readers. Rece ...more
Anne Osterlund
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Marion has lost everything. She really has no choice but to forge her references, lie about her past, and snatch the first opportunity she can grab: the position of governess at Farland Meadows.

Now doesn’t that sound lovely? Farland Meadows. She is certain it will be beautiful, and about that, at least, she is correct. Though she wasn’t expecting to be informed that the job doesn’t exist. Or that her charge is only four-years-old. Or that the master of the house is . . . well, clearly scary
Lucy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Sarah M. Eden writes regency romances with enough pain or conflict or strife that they avoid being categorized as foofy, in my book. That isn't to say that her characters are very nuanced or even believable, but she gives them enough stress that I root for them to find relief. Drops of Gold follows a pretty self-reliant orphan who goes to work for a lonely and unhappy widow and his young daughter. Their attraction to each other is almost immediate as he is physically gorgeous and she is ridiculo ...more
Julie Daines
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favorite of Sarah M. Eden's books. Nicely paced and well-written, I loved both of the main characters--and especially the way their backgrounds bring so much depth to the story. The romance is engaging and believable, and I loved the relationship between Marion and the little girl. I had to smile every time I read the name Flip. I loved how all the Jonquil boys came together in this one.

Eden does a great job researching her facts, and she really brings Regency England to life in an
Becca12348
Mar 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Marilee
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Another of the books I brought on my trip. This one deals with the heartache of the loss of loved ones. I liked Marion's ability to find sunshine despite the severity of her situation. I didn't get why she didn't appeal to her friends for help before taking the drastic steps that she did. It didn't make sense.
KatieSuzanne
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, book-club
Painfully predictable and repetitive. Reading this as literature is the equivalent of eating syrup for dinner. It's sweet and delicious and I like the idea of it, but I can't live on it and I'd rather have some substance. I think of this books more like palette cleanser between the heavier serious literature, so just one spoonful and I'm done.
Natalie
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think Sarah Eden has become one of my new favorite authors. I loved Marion and Caroline. Layton was wonderful. The deeper emotional issues this book addressed made for good reading. I need to go out and find more of her books!
Sandy
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My very favorite Sarah Eden book. I thought I'd read a few pages before I went to bed at 1:00 a.m. and ended staying up until 5:00 a.m. to finish it. Some of the best character chemistry that I've read in a long time...and all through little touches and longing looks. I LOVED IT!
Annette
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My third Sarah M. Eden book. She's got a lifelong fan here.
Lisa
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! I could not be more convinced that Sarah knows what she is doing! Such a great story! Enjoy!
Kristie
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A sweet clean romance. I adored the story- and liked Marion, the protagonist, a lot.
Lauren
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lauren by: Moriah & Kate
One of these days I will complete my journey of not expecting to hate these books. Some day. Because I don't! I don't hate this book! I didn't hate Kiss of a Stranger and I didn't hate Friends & Foes. I don't know what's wrong with me. (well, I do, it's the patriarchy's fault, but no need to outline it here)
I didn't hate it.
I loved it.
I really did.
I was reading it on a road trip and I was SO MAD when it got too dark to read anymore. And when Lauren is mad that her entertainment
Sinopsis en Español 1 1 Nov 19, 2014 05:42PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 05:23PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 4 Oct 10, 2014 08:51AM

• Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • Lord Fenton's Folly
  • Miss Burton Unmasks a Prince
  • Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)
  • Lady Emma's Campaign
  • Blackmoore
  • Miss Wilton's Waltz
  • Simply Anna
  • Lady Helen Finds Her Song
  • My Fair Gentleman
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • A Heart Revealed
  • A Proper Scandal
  • Heir to Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #0.5)
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
  • The Secret of the India Orchid
  • The Vicar's Daughter

The Jonquil Brothers (7 books)
  • The Kiss of a Stranger (The Jonquil Brothers, #0)
  • Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers, #1)
  • As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)
  • A Fine Gentleman (The Jonquil Brothers #4)
  • For Love or Honor (The Jonquil Brothers #5)
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)