Start by marking “AwareKnits: Knit & Crochet Projects for the Eco-Conscious Stitcher” as Want to Read:
AwareKnits: Knit & Crochet Projects for the Eco-Conscious Stitcher

AwareKnits: Knit & Crochet Projects for the Eco-Conscious Stitcher

The fiber world is all abuzz about sustainable yarns and alternative materials, and AwareKnits jumps on this trend with a socially conscious approach to knitting and crochet.

Knitting superstar Vicikie Howell and activist-knitter Adrienne Armstrong present a groundbreaking volume that’s part pattern book and part crafty call to action. They offer 31 stylish projects that us
Published October 1st 2009 by Lark Books (NC)

To ask other readers questions about AwareKnits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AwareKnits

Start your review of AwareKnits: Knit & Crochet Projects for the Eco-Conscious Stitcher
Clare O'Beara
I wholeheartedly recommend this large size book of over thirty knitting, crocheting and felting projects. They are simple looking enough for even a novice to get started and have immediate practical use. Some are for more advanced skills but they have star ratings to indicate the recommended skill level.

Along with each pattern the authors tell us a little about the kind of fibre - bamboo, silk, hemp, even soy can all be made into fibres and found at a knitting supply shop. As well as alpaca, or
Cathy
I picked this up from the library on a whim. Many of my friends are knitters and this seemed like a book they might be interested in learning about. And I was right, I was really impressed. The authors presented a really informative as well as (seemingly, from a non-knitter) useful book. There is a lot of information about sustainable, green and eco-friendly materials, of course. But there is also information about other topics including ergonomics, recycling, even reflexology. And the designs a ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Some cool ideas, like making a reusable grocery bag out of plastic grocery bags. (I didn't like that pattern, just the idea, so I'm making my own patter.) I like the cover pattern but that's about it. Seems like it's trying to cash in on the environmental movement without really providing anything of substance.
Ligaya
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hmmm, interesting knit book with some flaws. More photos would have been appreciated for some projects, like, what does the front of the Camisoul tank LOOK LIKE? Also, jute for the Greenhouse outdoor mat? One of the authors claims, "It's one of my favorite fibers to use for outdoor projects!"??? Waa? I'd hate to spend so much time on a project and have it disintegrate in one season... Okay, maybe more than SOME flaws. Punny project titles and author chatter on environmental issues aside, fashion ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
This book is beautifully presented, has some great designs with excellent instructions, and clever titles - e.g. 'Tie-Phoon' for a knitted tie, and 'Save the Tees' for making a sort of hamper out of old tee-shirts.

Sadly, this book makes me feel a little inadequate. But no, I mustn't think that - after all, to quote Eleanor Roosevelt: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Hmm, let me put my feelings a little differently then - there are times when I wish I had the energy and t
Jaq
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great collection of some beautiful items to make and also some tips and hints along the way on reusing and sourcing of beautiful materials to craft with.

Thank you!
Elisa
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Kirjassa on tietoa ekologisista langoista, vinkkejä ekoelämään muutenkin ja eritasoisia ohjeita. Moni varmaankin tietää jo, että luomupuuvilla on hyvä vaihtoehto ja kemiallista pesua kannattaa välttää, ja että on paikkoja kuten etsy.com ja vanhasta villapaidasta saa mainiota sukkalankaa. Opin uuttakin: hamppukangas on tekstiileistä ympäristöystävällisimpiä, kameli tiputtaa omia aikojaan karvansa eikä sitä siis tarvitse missään vaiheessa keriä, Manos del Uruguay:n reilun kaupan langat on kalliita ...more
Beth
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: handicrafts
This book contains instructions on how to make delightfully designed knitted--and some crocheted--projects that are eco-conscious. The authors provide extensive information not only on how to make the items, such as a sweater and a carrying bag, but on different types of more or less earth-friendly yarns--including make-it-yourself recycled-t-shirt yarn. They even offer suggestions for use of scraps.

The two authors' conversations about what they do ecologically are mildly interesting but not ne
Mckinley
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I understand wanting to sell a book and writing to niche audiences, so I was disappointed in both the projects and lack of eco-consciousness aspects the book.

See: Knit Green: 20 Projects and Ideas for Sustainability by Joanne Seiff
Heywu
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, knitting
There are a number of great eco friendly projects and lots of great info on how to be an eco friendly consumer.
Kasey Jane
Aug 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Fluffy.
Tamara
Feb 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
I don't knit or crochet, but...
R. J
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiber
There are some cute patterns and great tips for the eco-conscious. Just found it ironic that the book was manufactured in China, which is not the most eco-friendly way to go.
Two Readers in Love
A bit less guilt/preaching and a bit more factual information about the pros/cons of various fibers would have made this book much more convincing. The projects themselves are nice.
Anna
Apr 06, 2016
Marie
Oct 10, 2013
VinGirl
rated it did not like it
Sep 10, 2016
Nicole
Nov 14, 2013

• Once Upon a Time… in Crochet
  • Black Leopard, Red Wolf
  • The World of Poo (Discworld, #39.5)

News & Interviews