Start by marking “The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants” as Want to Read:
The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants

The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Anyone who has spent serious time outdoors knows that in survival situations, wild plants are often the only sustenance available. The proper identification of these plants can mean the difference between survival and death. This book describes habitat and distribution, physical characteristics, and edible parts of wild plants—the key elements of identification. ...more
Published June 23rd 2009 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants

Fredrick Danysh
This is a survival manual of sorts as the US Department of the Army has compiled a guide to edible wild plants from around the world that can be eaten in times of need. The manual starts with an identification section followed by a section on medicinal uses of some of the plants. This is a useful reference book for the outdoorsman, survivalist, or prepper.
Mary Codd
Sep 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wild-plants
Far from complete as claimed in the title, this book describes habitat and distribution, physical characteristics, and edible parts of many wild plants but not in great detail. The photos are poor quality, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to identify plants using them. The book covers the tropics, subtropics, and temperate zones. Since I’m not planning a visit to the tropics or subtropics I wasn’t interested in many of the plants covered. I caught several typos and that made me worry about ...more
Emily Mellow
Nov 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: plants
The "complete guide"? This book describes several plants, from several different continents, so that wherever you are in the world you may be able to find something to eat. However, this is one of the least complete guides I've ever seen.
On the other hand (!) there is a lot of useful information. If the title was different, I would say that this was a very good book, and I love that the US Army published it. It's really about survival in harsh climates. As well as edibility of plants, they descr
Keith
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
You probably never realized, but there are many plants and weeds right in your own yard that are actually edible! In this book each page gives you the name,photo, basic information about each plant, and how to cook the plant and how some plants can also be used as home remedies. Its very easy to use and the photos are clear so you can easily identify the plant. I gave it a 4 because although it tells you to cook certain parts of the plant, it doesn't say for how long and that could end up making ...more
Dolly
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting from a survivalist perspective perhaps but since it covers plants from around the world, it takes a lot of picking and choosing to find plants that might grow in one's own region. Good cautionary advice included to help prevent accidental poisoning from unknown plants but I'm concerned that the descriptions mentioned in the book are not detailed enough to ensure that the plant is what you think it is. I would hesitate to use this book only if I wanted to just find edible plants for a ...more
Josie
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, nature
Fairly good pictures and descriptions (with some line drawings), but it covers the whole world and that's not always useful to the backyard gatherer. Also, very clear warnings as to what is poisonous or dangerous. And, heh, they give tips on what you can use for camo and things like rope. Gotta love those Army folks for thinking beyond food. If you're ever behind enemy lines, this is the book to have, lo.

Great layout!
Mary
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting, but there were a lot of typos. Also there were two separate plants that had the exact same picture of red fruit. Not really sure which one it belonged to. The pictures were ok, but I don't really see how some of the line drawings would help because they were not very clear.
Paula Zoran
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm always interested in new things. Walking along the path I was intrigued by the many plants that flowered. This field guide helped me to see what plants were edible and which were not. The guide was extremely easy to use.
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This book's positive feature include a detailed picture and description for each plant depicted. I would have felt it had more value, if it depicted our regions wildflowers. This was definitely a good start on this topic.
Cabracrazy18
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking, homesteading
Overall not a very good book for identifying plants. Some of the information I would even consider questionable. Great for the colored photographs that accompany every plant, but some of them are hard to tell how big the plant is. Not a lot of information on each plant either.
Aug 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Seems thorough, but not very well organized.
Emma
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have always been interested in what is poisonous and what is okay to eat.
Eric Allan
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Contains many photographs. Also with some description on how to prepare and eat them. It has lists divided by region. Not exhaustive by any means. Also, a lot of useless tropical info.
Kaz
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good pictures and descriptions.
Renee