Start by marking “Ogilvy on Advertising” as Want to Read:
Ogilvy on Advertising

Ogilvy on Advertising

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  6,635 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
A candid and indispensable primer on all aspects of advertising from the man Time has called "the most sought after wizard in the business". 223 photos.
Published March 12th 1985 by Vintage (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Ogilvy on Advertising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ogilvy on Advertising

Trang Ngo
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity, favorites
What I have learnt from Ogilvy on Advertising

- black letter on white background!!! the reverse does not work

- do research on what the audience wants to see, do not just base on your preference

- if it does not sell, it isn’t creative

- order of print ad: picture, headlines, subheadlines, words (that’s what the audience's mind wants)

- there are many advertising agencies because one can not work for its clients’ competitors

- long-term contract with clients is crucial to the business

- keep track of t
Lubinka Dimitrova
Quite an insightful and utterly engrossing read, even though it would be even more interesting if we could read his opinions about the current state of advertising. I enjoyed his writing a lot, and his main points still hold up well. Sadly, his prediction about giant billboards and deception in political advertisement becoming obsolete was very, very wrong...

Любов, благодаря за индиректната препоръка! :D
Jen
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've had this book in my shelves for a couple years and finally sat down to begin reading it recently. And I'm so, so, soooo mad at myself because I wish I had read this immediately when I first picked it up!

Although it was written decades ago and contains information that will be construed as outdated (especially since the look of advertising has definitely changed substantially), a lot of it is still sound and relevant. I don't work in advertising, but I was thinking of a ton of areas where th
мини тяло
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-edited
Тази книга ми е повод за гордост откъм редакция, не само защото е ценна и интересна, а и защото ни я връщаха толкова пъти. Което оценявам, понеже вече е близо до съвършенство. Много хора стоят зад тази любопитна и занимателна рекламна библия, радвам се, че и аз съм сред тях.
Дейвид Огилви е бащата на едни от най-популярните реклами, които познаваме. Беше адски интересно да надникна в неговия свят и то от неговата перспектива. И така обичам, когато авторът е откровен и автентичен. Тук Огилви наист
Stephanie W
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you've ever been interested in working at an ad agency, if you've ever worked at an ad agency, or if you ever had a strong affinity for the Mastercard Priceless (McCann Erickson) or the Got Milk campaign (Goodby Silverstein), you must read this book. Not only does David Ogilvy give great advice from inside the business, but he presents his wonderfully written copy with the best parts of a vintage Life magazine (the pictures). Ogilvy clearly states the best steps for breaking into the business ...more
Ben
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Advertisers and Designers
If you want to have ANYTHING to do with advertising, you must read this book. If you want to have ANYTHING to do with graphic design, you must have something to do with advertising...
Andrew
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Highly informative and wonderfully written. Its full of personal anecdotes and glossy photos.
Alexander Pavlov
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Огилви описывает базовые принципы и правила рекламы, которые работали в его время. Многие из них работают по сей день и продолжат работать в будущем.
Рекомендую к прочтению всем, чье дело так или иначе связано с рекламой. Многое из написанного актуально в своевременном мире интернет-рекламы.
Erika
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erika by: Rory Hodgson
Shelves: non-fiction
Ogilvy is brilliant. Even with the advent of the internet, the core of advertising remains the same because basic human motives remain the same, and what he has to say is still very relevant.

While the rest of the book is packed with time-honored strategies and tips, his talent is especially evident in the chapter dedicated to past advertising giants.

This might seem like a fluff chapter to those people just looking to absorb facts, but it is far more valuable – he is showing you how to communica
Sonam  Puri
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You can read it hundred times.
David
Nov 02, 2017 added it
Shelves: new-in-2017
I would be fascinated to hear his thoughts on advertising today. This book enters the early 1980s, but is concentrated largely on 50s & 60s evidence. At the insistence of his publisher, Ogilvy included a page of short predictions for the future, one of which was the total disappearance of the hated billboard. How he would loathe the digital boards of today, which are even more intrusive than the simple “same picture for a month” billboards of my youth. Lots of interesting insight into how hi ...more
Alvaro Berrios
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's pretty astonishing how relevant so much of this is in today's hyper-digital age. David Ogilvy was working with magazines, TV commercials and newspaper ads...not the sexiest stuff by today's standards. However, the simplicity in his approach and understanding of human behavior can absolutely be applied to today's digital advertising. GREAT for learning effective and convincing copy writing. It was also just cool to learn about this history of some of the old ad firms.
Edgar
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A classic.
Song
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read, with Ogilvy's candid takes on the importance of market research, what constitutes as a good/bad ads, international nuances, and some of his mistakes in the journey.

Most interestingly, some of the best practices he noted in the book are still relevant today.
Partha
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: insights on advertising from the legend
Shelves: advertising
David Ogilvy is a class apart in advertising..

“At 60 miles an hour the loudest noise in this new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock.” who can ever forget this ad that made David Ogilvy famous..

the story goes that rolls royce gave the campaign brief as 'create an ad that people would read and never forget..' and with a very tight budget..

Ogilvy's stress on research was at the forefront of the campaign..
Very few professionals in the advertising laid so much stress on research and data to be
Aaron Gertler
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
David Ogilvy is one of the great marketing geniuses of the 20th century, and he also built a company that remains successful to this day. His secret? Using lots of numbers to test folk wisdom. Here, he shares those numbers with you and explains why people who say otherwise are wrong. Then he shows you a picture of the castle he owns in Scotland, in case you needed extra proof.

This was my second-best marketing book of 2014, after Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can O
Mihnea Gheorghiță
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great insights from the man who quite possibly set a lot of industry standards! While it's a shame that some of his practices, tips or bits of advice no longer apply, most of them can be reinterpreted and used in today's digital advertising age.

A refreshing must read for both aspiring advertisers as well as industry veterans who may feel like their creative run's almost up.
Cippi
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
wanna know basic knowledge of 'evilish' advertising? this is your bible, written by lord of advertising, spiced-up with outstanding award-winning ads samples. it's a gift from a buddy Dedeng, he got it from Mac909
Stefan Vali
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Refreshing. Good to see a realistic perspective on what creativity is and isn't in the advertising context.
George Jankovic
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A book by the god of advertising himself. It's at the very top of all marketing books. So useful and so well written. Simply the best.
Leanne Wood
Dec 04, 2010 rated it liked it
An older book that is still very relevant!
Ahu
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Considered as a holy book when we were freshmen at college!a lot has changed but still an inspiring one
Kimee
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A great introduction to good copywriting, advertising, and communication in general. Though, I must say, this is the thought that lingers longest:

Why do we still have billboards?
Anurag
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Advertising principles elucidated with brilliant examples.
Nigel Temple
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing-books
David Ogilvy thought deeply about advertising and produced great results for his clients.
Dmitry Kuriakov
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Книга номер один по рекламе от знаменитого рекламщика Дэвида Огилви «Огилви о рекламе» является небольшим сборником рекомендаций того, что в первую очередь нужно знать маркетологу или человеку, работающему в рекламном бизнесе. Можно сказать, это блиц ответы на вопросы о том, как создавать рекламу (или как она должна выглядеть) и на что непосредственно нужно обратить внимание, без ухода в дебри и тонкости создания рекламы. В целом в книге рассматривается в основном печатная реклама, т.е. как эффе ...more
Levi
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
David Ogilvy is a genius.

I first heard about this intelligent, eloquent English gentleman from my uncle, who formerly worked in the advertising business. When I later came across this book in the bibliography of "The Well-Fed Writer", I added it to my to-read list.

Now that I have finally read "Ogilvy on Advertising" from start to finish, I am eager to proclaim it as the single best book on anything related to business that I have ever read. Better than Godin, better than Vaynerchuck, better tha
Leticia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding book.

I picked it up in a run of second hand classics by people who began their lives as copywriters, because some of our best mentors are those in books. It didn’t disappoint; in fact, it was so devoid of bullshit and wankery that I’m now keen to read Ogilvy’s first book, Confessions.

David Ogilvy built one of the world’s largest advertising companies. And as much as we like to think that content, content strategy, Internet, online materials, etc, are unique, they’re not. T
John
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ogilvy is a good story teller. The chapter that speaks about his competitors during his era was thought provoking, it shows how much admiration and respect he had for them and the kind of healthy competition they shared among each other. A bold and honest book.

Notes

When I write an advertisement, I don't want you to tell me that you find it 'creative'. I want you to find it so interesting that you buy the product.

The best photographs are those which arouse the reader's curiosity. He thinks, "What
Anthony
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am not in an advertising business, and read this book out of curiosity. It changed my view on what advertising is.

Key ideas:

The purpose of advertising is to sell. Advertising can be called “Sales in print”.
The most creative advertisement is not necessarily the most effective one.
The more you know the product the more there is a chance that you will come up with a big idea
Advertising can be considered
People don’t buy commodities, they buy images (Jack Daniels – is it really better than
Effectivness of Ogilvy on Advertising 3 29 Jul 06, 2012 12:09PM
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Scientific Advertising
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • The Brand Gap
  • Creative Advertising: Ideas and Techniques from the World's Best Campaigns
  • Hoopla
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • D&AD: The Copy Book
  • The Art of Writing Advertising: Conversations with Masters of the Craft: David Ogilvy, William Bernbach, Leo Burnett, Rosser Reeves,
  • How to Write a Good Advertisement: A Short Course in Copywriting
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Hegarty on Advertising
  • The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era
David Mackenzie Ogilvy was born in West Horsley, England, on June 23, 1911. He was educated at Fettes College in Edinburgh and at Christ Church, Oxford (although he didn't graduate).
david ogilvy After Oxford, Ogilvy went to Paris, where he worked in the kitchen of the Hotel Majestic. He learned discipline, management - and when to move on: "If I stayed at the Majestic I would have faced years of s
More about David Ogilvy

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God: A
    $11.49 $2.99
“If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants.” 18 likes
“I do not regard advertising as entertainment or an art form, but as a medium of information. When I write an advertisement, I don’t want you to tell me that you find it ‘creative.’ I want you to find it so interesting that you buy the product.” 16 likes