Start by marking “Vlad the Impaler: the Man Who Was Dracula” as Want to Read:
Vlad the Impaler: the Man Who Was Dracula

Vlad the Impaler: the Man Who Was Dracula

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  227 ratings  ·  47 reviews
From the bestselling author illustrator team of the "9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation" comes the truly gory tale of the historical Dracula
The Dracula myth has sparked a legacy of endlessly entertaining creepy tales. The fictional character, originally penned by Bram Stoker, was inspired by and named after a real-life fiend-Prince Vlad Dracula, the fifteenth-century rule
Published October 15th 2009 by Hudson Street Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Vlad the Impaler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vlad the Impaler

liked it Average rating 3.00  ·

Start your review of Vlad the Impaler: the Man Who Was Dracula
James Walters
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This was disappointing. The art was pretty good but the story was definitely lacking. What started out as an interesting and historically accurate story basically turned into: "This is Vlad. He likes to kill men and have sex with women. Sometimes he impales people on sticks. He's kind of a mean guy. The end." ...more
Ben Truong
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Vlad the Impaler: the Man Who Was Dracula is a biographical graphic novel written by Sid Jacobson and illustrated by Ernie Colón and is an attempt to relate the story of Vlad's amazingly short career as ruler of Wallachia.

Vlad III Dracula was Voivode of Wallachia three times between 1448 and his death. He is often considered one of the most important rulers in Wallachian history and a national hero of Romania.

The early portion of the story relates Vlad’s sojourn with his brother Radu in Istanbul
Nick
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic_novels
Mediocre writing, at times just plain stupid, mediocre art, at times just plain bad, but nice to have an illustrated version in all its gory, if perhaps not entirely accurate detail. A captivating story which should have been written and illustrated by different people than these two. Definitely a step or two below their Che Guevara Bio.
Thomas Edmund
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some of the artwork is redeemable is this GRAPHIC novel, however the cheesy ridiculous narrative (see the epilogue) ruins the story and the lack of character depth makes one feel they are just looking at some doodles inspired by a boring historic summary
Seth Morris
Jan 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
As poorly drawn as it was written.
Quinn
What Worked For Me:
- The art is technically proficient, and was evocative of the Silver Age of comics (despite being published in the late 00's).
- I'm not well-versed in the history and lore of Vlad Dracula, but the story seemed grounded in reality at least.
- The work is short enough to complete in one sitting, and that's precisely what I did.
- There's truth in the publishers advertising, as the work includes the, ""gory details and torture tactics," of Vlad's reign. I can't say I enjoyed it,
Nikki
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
You ever read a book that you can tell a) was written by a couple of white guys? and b) made Certain Other Writers look like they'd majored in an appropriate subject of study?
Despite the fact that scholars have debunked many of the myths around Vlad III's rule, that's pretty much the entire graphic novel - the myths surrounding Vlad III's rule. If you want an accurate portrait of a historical figure, this is not the book for you. This little AU ranks up there with Bram Stoker's Dracula (the Copp
Amanda Peterson
Jan 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
I came across this comic a number of years ago at a library, and while it had been many years there were images I couldn’t forget. When I found it at a Used Bookstore years later, I knew I had to read it again. While there are some portions like the romances I can check to be sure for accuracy, it does not skimp on the blood and viscera. This goes out of the way to prove how brutal Vlad was. It was also interesting to note that Extra Credits covered Vlad for their history videos and there were s ...more
Lynn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some Good History

The history of Vlad The Impaler is interesting but I haven't read anything else so it's hard to tell. It seems to give slight blame to the Turkish King who raised Vlad but the brother is shown in a good light. I suspect that the adolescent male is the target audience. Women's breasts are freely show but no one has genitals. Violence is also graphic. There is even a mention of pimples.
Alkhan004
Aug 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a horrible book. Do not read it. There many things wrong with this book, and on of it is, "95% of the Muslim characters are drawn in a weird or funny way to depict them as subhumans". Also, the narration of the even sucks. It is one of the crappiest book I have read in a long time. Instead of facts, it is just garbage presentation of materials. This is the book is not for intellectual audience, but rather shallow minded people. ...more
Joe Cavanaugh
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, history
Fun and gory telling of the vlad the impaler story. Worth a read if you're into vampires or have it easily at hand (currently free to borrow electronically from the Madison public library FYI), but not worth going out of your way to read. ...more
Meg Jordan Echols
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
The art was interesting, but the story itself was lacking. I was hoping it’d be more historical and really open the world of Vlad the Impaler up, but it just seemed to be focused on the gore and sex vs. his actual characterization.
Kari Schooley
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love everything Romania! I have some general information about Vlad, but this graphic novel gave me more. I agree with a lot of what has been said a out his book, and I also want to state that book IS NOT for children.
Eli
Aug 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
James Walters review on goodreads summarized my thoughts exactly so go read his review which I won’t plagiarize here.

Bottom line 2 stars might be generous and is mainly for the artist. I learned nothing I haven’t seen in a decent half hour documentary.
Faith Bradshaw
Sep 12, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Elements of this novel seemed problematic, I understand Vlad was not the best figure historically speaking but the amount of boob/bdsm panels seemed very unnecessary as well as the art style exaggerating stereotypical ethnic features.
Ranjana
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
The subject is fascinating. But I’m not sure about how effectively the story is told. I chose to read this novel as I was traveling through Transylvania and it did persuade me go through Targoviste.
Mrs C
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
The art could have been better, but the story was interesting.
Dennis Lynch
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well illustrated comic book biography of Wallachian Prince Vlad Tepes.
Dawn Crilly
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Yuck. Not good.
Marko
Aug 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
The art wasn’t stylistically at the same level as the story, but I actually liked the simplistic and a bit naive artwork. Unfortunately as a whole the album was a bit silly.
Great art with an okay story
Grigori Cross
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
My only experience with Vlad the Impaler has been as a polarizing figure: when I search for the most evil men in history, he never fails to be on the list. On the other hand, it seems the Romanian people view him as a national hero. I don't take the former lightly, but I have to admit that I quite like the figures in history who have a dark atmosphere around them. It's with this attitude that I chose to enjoy this short graphic novelette.

Throughout the story, I had to question the way many of th
Jonathan Roberts
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
History in all its bloody glory. Disturbing how violent some leaders are but this book was well done and makes history approachable.
Isabella
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First off, this is a hardcover comic book about the historical figure, Vlad Tepes. If you want to read about sparkly vampires, go elsewhere.

The artwork in this book, with amazing color and graphic, almost calls to mind the art of 'Watchmen'. During scenes of fighting, when called for to explain the history & story of Vlad, is brilliant.

Hence, this book is not only a sight for the eyes, but also the mind. The information contained is seemingly properly researched, gives us the story of Vlad, who
Slayermel
This is the tale of Vlad the Impaler put into the form of a Graphic Novel. It was actually a very fast way to go through the historical tale and it was quite gruesome. I have decided that I do want to learn much more about Vlad and his role in history. I have always been fascinated by Vampires and Dracula and would love to know much more of how this man became tied to that legend.

In the book it takes us to the beginning where Vlad and his brother Radu are given to the Sultan by their Father Vla
Aimeekay
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
So I picked this one up for part of the Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel 2012 Challenge that I am participating in. Let me just say it is short, but it was good. Not the best Dracula story I’ve ever read but it did have quite a few interesting aspects that I hadn’t heard before. The story itself moves quickly. It gives the details of the history of Vlad the Impaler without getting caught up in itself, or swamping the reader with information.
Then there is the artwork, very graphic. The detail
Orion
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a graphic novel that is not for the squeamish. In telling the story of Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, the authors created 64 panels of carnage, 15 are visuals of impalements. Of course, people who read the life of Vlad Dracul are expecting bloodshed. He was a violent man in violent times. The book portrays the historical events and gives the reader some insight into the forces that shaped Vlad's personality. Battle in the 15th Century was bloody and brutal. Hand-to-hand combat with sword ...more
Philharmonic EightThirty
Vlad makes vampires look like angels! So Dracula is real? Apparently so. This graphic novel version of the the actual "Dracula" delivers an easy way to absorb history. If there is one thing that Vlad and vampires have in common, It's got to be "Blood". So. Much. Blood. A very brutal depiction and description of one of history's most terrible terrorists!

Blood, sex and religion
London Mays
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A great graphic novel about Vlad the Impaler or Vlad III Dracula it basicly tells of his life from childhood to adulthood ascended the throne of Wallachia. This book is very graphic with gory sceans and has nudity, would not snuggest this book for young readers and those that cant stomic this kind of stuff. Nevertheless a great book for those who want to know the history and tale about this person.
BookCupid
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Bloody, dark, and disturbing. But so was the life of prince Vlad. The author did a good job describing why Vlad grew up to become such a temperamental man. However his relationship with his wive seemed unlikely. Why would Vlad, a man who showed no loyalty to anybody in his life, allow her to deny him time after time without recurring to violence?

• DIY Rules for a WTF World: How to Speak Up, Get Creative, and Change the World
  • Love in Every Stitch: Stories of Knitting and Healing
  • The Sea of Monsters: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Second Foundation (Foundation, #3)
  • The Uninvited
  • American Ghost: A Family's Haunted Past in the Desert Southwest
  • An Immense World
  • Shout
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (Percy Jackson: The Graphic Novels #5)
  • Modern Romance
  • The Lightning Thief: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Titan's Curse: The Graphic Novel (Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Glass Town: The Imaginary World of the Brontës