Start by marking “Adventures In A Tv Nation” as Want to Read:
Adventures In A Tv Nation

Adventures In A Tv Nation

Based on an American television show, of the same name, it brims with Michael Moore's special brand of subversive humour that melds outright silliness with poignant realisation.

From the oh–so–obvious Serial Killer Next Door who's ignored by his neighbours: to Mike enjoying some quality time with Dr. Kevorkian : to raising money for Charles Keating, this is a compilation

Published November 29th 2002 by Pan Books (first published October 7th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures In A Tv Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures In A Tv Nation

Brett
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Adventures in a TV Nation is both like and unlike other Michael Moore books. It has its share of polemical lefty bromides, but has the advantage of being focused on one topic, Moore's two season television show from the 1990s, TV Nation. I believe this was Moore's first published book (along with a co-author that also worked on the show). The book is a very light read, and is Moore before he became truly famous. It's focused more on trying to pull a few laughs out of readers than on political id ...more
Lauren
Jun 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, non-fiction
I bought this book on a whim. It was on super sale and it looked pretty interesting. I'd never heard of the show, but I always find the stuff that Michael Moore does pretty interesting. It was interesting reading about all the segments they did on the show. Even though the show was a while ago, I still felt like most of the topics they covered are still pertinent today. I think I might look this show up now and see if I can watch some of the episodes...
Maria Calugaru
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wasn't expecting this book to be as good as his other ones since it was about their tv show and not the "michael Moore's opinoin on stuff" kind of books we are used to. I decided to read this one in english too. I never had the time to sit and watch TV Nation but now I really want to. I really want to see how all these projects they worked on were shown to the audience since in the book they tell us about a bunch of scenes that were deleted or censored.
David Sarkies
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
How the Right hate the Left using their tactics
18 November 2011

Some people might wonder why, when I'm writing a review on a book, I generally discuss the underlying themes of the book rather than actually writing a review and commenting on grammar, structure, plot, and characters. Well, when we are dealing with non-fiction books, such as this one, plot and characters do not play a huge role, and with regards to grammar and structure I suspect (or rather hope) that all of the problems are ironed
Ruth
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
In 1994, Michael Moore (subsequently best known for Fahrenheit 911, Bowling for Columbine, and being a general pain in the butt to the Republican Party) produced, with others, a television show called TV Nation. The idea behind the show was to raise awareness of injustice and corruption in America, and to do so in a humorous style. Less than 20 episodes were made (although Moore went on to do another similar show called The Awful Truth), but durng its short run, it was highly acclaimed.

This book
Marc
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I thought the stories that TV Nation weren't crazy enough - here's the stories behind the stories. All the great memories from a 17-year-old show I loved came flooding back. I don't agree with Moore's politics, and had to scan past some of his chapter introductions, but the stories were ungodly funny!
Tom Darrow
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never watched the TV show, but I had read Moore's more recent books. Recently Moore comes off as a left-wing nutjob, mostly through his methods, not his arguments. In this book, and the TV show is describes, Moore takes a more main-stream approach to problems in the US, like prison reform and healthcare. It still has an obvious liberal bias, but his conclusions are a lot easier to swallow.
Oliver
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Before he became so dogmatic and annoying, Michael Moore had a show called TV Nation and it was pretty darned good. This book peeking behind that show is pretty darned good too and both horrifying and funny.
Ty
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: michael moore fans
It was interesting to read what compromises Michael was willing to make in order for certain segments to air. But it brought little else new to anyone who's already familiar with his antics and politics. A nice and light read.
Oz
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Liked the TV show, the book has some moderate appeal, if you like left leaning lens through which Mr. Moore views the world.
Jeremy
Sep 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in it!
Richard
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked the tv nation show- film a savings and loan wipe out support group- ask ask newt gingrich which government programs he'd like to cut in his district- classic
Greg Easley
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious!
Iain Parkes
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Anna
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Michael Moore did the TV series "TV Nation"; this book has stories and episodes related to it.
Enjoyable read when you are traveling or have a lazy afternoon.
Bjorn Hardarson
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
interesting book about one of the first thing Michael Moore did in TV, funny, controversial and interesting as much of the thing Michael Moore does
Svenja
Jan 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: english
By far not as good as his other books
Mel
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny stunts on a wide range of political topics. Very easy to read in normal Moore style.
Anhdroid
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Ich habe ein Buch bei BookCrossing.com registriert!
Jessica Pyle
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've only really seem one of Michael Moore's films and read none of his books so I'm not particularly over-saturated with his politics or his presentation style. None of the politics of the book are new ideas or controversial ideas but reading all the little skits organised as a way of political expression and protest felt irreverent but never dismissive of real issues. It didn't take long to read and it wasn't deep but I definitely enjoyed it.
Valerie
Jul 11, 2008
Vicki
rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2012
Wayne
Apr 27, 2013
SMC
Nov 28, 2015
  • As Used On the Famous Nelson Mandela: Underground Adventures in the Arms and Torture Trade
  • Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq
  • Reasons To Be Cheerful
  • PR!: A Social History Of Spin
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • The Washington Connection & Third World Fascism (Political Economy of Human Rights, #1)
  • Toxic Sludge Is Good for You: Lies, Damn Lies and the Public Relations Industry
  • War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death
  • Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • Spanking the Donkey: Dispatches from the Dumb Season
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • The Essential Lenny Bruce
  • The Exile: Sex, Drugs, and Libel in the New Russia
  • Hellfire Nation: The Politics of Sin in American History

Michael Moore is an American filmmaker, author and liberal political commentator. He is the director and producer of Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11, Sicko, and Capitalism: A Love Story, four of the top nine highest-grossing documentaries of all time.[3] In September