Start by marking “Ma maman est en Amérique, elle a rencontré Buffalo Bill” as Want to Read:
Ma maman est en Amérique, elle a rencontré Buffalo Bill

Ma maman est en Amérique, elle a rencontré Buffalo Bill

C'est la rentrée des classes et Jean est intimidé car il ne connait personne. En plus, la maîtresse madame Moinot n'a pas l'air commode. Sitôt installés en classe, elle demande à chacun de se présenter et de donner la profession de ses parents. Lorsque Jean est interrogé, il bredouille et devient tout rouge. Album qui raconte le quotidien d'un petit garçon.
Published 2007 by GALLIMARD (ÉDITIONS)

Be the first to ask a question about Ma maman est en Amérique, elle a rencontré Buffalo Bill

Start your review of Ma maman est en Amérique, elle a rencontré Buffalo Bill
Patrick
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book falls in to the difficult category of, "Well-executed but I have no idea how to give it a star rating or if I ever want to read it again or recommend it to anyone."

That said, it *was* very well executed. And I suppose that's the heart of the matter.

So... yeah. Five stars if you want a sweet, well-rounded story that distantly circles the fact that the main character....

*Spoilers, by the way*

...is a five year old boy who doesn't realize that his mother isn't on a business trip. That's
Blue
Brilliant and poignant, My Mommy Is In America and She Met Buffalo Bill is a must read. That said, it is rather sad, though there are no surprises for the adult reader here; it is rather obvious from the get go just what might be amiss in little Jean's life. And *that* said, Jean is still lucky in many ways: he has a fierce little brother who is always up for a good pillow fight, a nanny who loves him and he loves, a friend in school, a friend next door who cares about him, and a father who is ...more
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'll admit that the five stars probably comes from getting to see the author speak about the book on a panel at Comic Con. But I always love hearing about what the meaning of story is to an author and the ideas of what they want to translate to the audience. I think Bravo does it wonderfully as the artist in this book telling Regnaud's story. I was also captivated by Bravo's talk about how every culture has a code for how you read comics and narratives told in pictures and he sought to ...more
Sophie
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first book I've ever read in French! Six year-old Jean starts primary school and is asked in class the occupations of his parents. He knows what his father does, but his mother? He's not sure where she is or what she is doing, only that she is on holiday somewhere. Or is she?

Although the story is quite poignant, as an adult reader can quickly guess what has happened to his mother, the story is told so charmingly through the amusing anecdotes and very funny wordless interludes that it stops
Emilia P
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Those French! They love their American Indian garb something fierce. I swear, I checked out three different French comics that involved feather headdresses on the cover. Ridic. That aside, this was a sweet book about a kid trying to understand and navigate a grief for his mother that he has not fully pieced together or processed, and trying to figure out why everyone is treating him with kid gloves...it's sad and sweet, but not too treacly. And also sadly, true.
Wayne
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the art quite a bit. The story says and is obviously aimed at 8-13 year olds. It was predictable to me, probably cause I'm old as dirt, but over all I liked it. I had two minor quibbles, it outs Father Christmas, and also skirts over the issue of a major characters passing away, so it might make some little kid freak out a little...
Lily-Rose Beardshaw
After a slow start, a deceptively simple story builds in confidence as the child's voice in which it is told develops, quietly winding up to a perfect emotional pitch. Captures the innocence, selfishness, confusion and vulnerability of early childhood in a understatedly funny and French way. The style of both the art and narration owe much to Sempe and Goscinny's French illustrated boyhood classic, Petit Nicolas - so, if you liked this, try that!
Christina Zhang
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite sentimental in a way, the main character is longing for love from his mother. Though he doesn't really know what truly happened to his mother, it seems to him that hope exists. My Mommy is such a cute book and truly reflects a message in the end.
Evelyn
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I typically don't appreciate ambiguity with endings, but I was okay with this one. (What, exactly, happened and when?) But I was good with this story, which was told with sweetness and innocence without being sappy or sentimental. The illustrations are also great.
Michael
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: Allison
A great short read about a little boy French. He has just started first grade and the teacher ask what his parents do. Jean doesn't know how to respond. He hasn't seen his mommy in a long time. This story follows Jean for this first half of first grade. We see as he grows and develops as a child. We learn his fears and joys.

This book is a fun read. It has a real feel to it. I felt that I was reading a story from this kids point of view, not someone else. He's so innocent in this story.

The art is
Jim
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
spoiler alert

The local library has this filed w/the kids graphic novels.

Just a story about a year in the life of a first grade little boy. His Mom isn't around, for reasons he doesn't know. Dad is unhappy, the boy is raised by nannies and old people keep saying "poor child" to him.

The neighbor, a girl two or three years older than him reads postcards and says they're from his mother. At the end of the book the kids have a fight and the girl tells him santa doesn't exist and his mom is dead.
Carrie Rolph
Loved the art in this. In addition to feeling very French (the first few pages at the school kept reminding me of the Madeline books) the format falls somewhere between a traditional comic format with dialogue and illustrations and a picture book, with narration and illustrations. The combination of formats, and wordless “interludes” worked well for showing the world of a five year old boy who doesn’t really understand where his mother has gone. Sweet and sad, but without being cloying.
Brett
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-graphic-novel
An interesting autobiographical story about a young French boy whose absent mother causes him discomfort & confusion, as well as some telling of tall tales. It made me a little sad, but I honestly don't know how an actual child would react to it - & I'm not sure who, in the target audience, I'd recommend it to. The artistic style is very eye-catching & fits well with the narration, although I'd also like to know a little bit more about "what happened next." Of course, it may be that ...more
Jason
A first grade boy named Jean narrates his life in France in 1970, from his father to his younger brother to his nanny and neighbor.

The novel unfolds as Jean struggles with figuring out what happened to his mom. ... And guess what? You WON'T find out either. I was disappointed in this book's ending--it was predictable but without any specific details. I was left hanging!

The art is terrific and in full color. It complements the story well.
Yolanda
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is about a little boy growing up in France and some of the things that happen in his life. It is predictable, a quick read and slightly sad. I read several of the reviews after I finished and I fail to find humor in this graphic novel. It could just be me or the content because it does flow nicely and the graphics are well done.
Ann
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know who the intended audience is. It has a childhood spoiler at the end, making it one to avoid for kids who love Santa. Maybe middle school? ya? adults?

I enjoyed it, but I love graphic novels that tell a story, authentically, through both the text and the pictures. And the pictures are truly beautiful.
Christian McKay
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stef
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing, endearing, funny, and sad graphic novel appropriate for (almost) all ages.
Anina
Jul 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, Frenchy, and a little sad.
Mark Fearing
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book. A story that revels in it's simplicity and honesty. A graphic novel that feels like a treasure to open.
Kendall H
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such great illustrations and such a sad story. This is one of my favorite graphic novels I've read in a long time.
Dru
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a nice little story about what it means to grow up and learn about all the things people have been sheltering you from.
April
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This little graphic novel was disturbing, sad and done with such honesty that I had to read it twice. The voice of the young boy is spot on.
Shoshana G
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I enjoyed this a lot but suspect it'd a lot more appealing to adults than kids.
Emily
3.5-- Cute but a bit sad. Not sure who the audience is, but I'm sure I can find someone who would appreciate it.
Jo
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and thoughtful, with some truly astounding art and surprising depth.
Amanda
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet and simple story. Very well done.
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This should have been longer. Or the chapters should have been longer. It felt choppy and the characters were never fully developed. Still, it was a quick read and a tender little story.
Andrés Santiago
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Wonderful!!! Sweet, moving and beautifully drawn. An insight into the children's mind, without being sugary sweet.

• Hoger dan de bergen en dieper dan de zee
  • Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity (2019-) #1
  • SFSX (Safe Sex) #2
  • SFSX (Safe Sex) #3
  • SFSX (Safe Sex) #4
  • Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity (2019-) #2
  • Harleen (2019) #3
  • Home
  • Verloren
  • Anne Frank (Pequeña & GRANDE, #13)
  • Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5)
  • Jip en Janneke 1 (Jip en Janneke, #1)
  • Lionsmate (Frozen Earth, #2)
  • Too Close to Breathe (Frankie Sheehan, #1)
  • Il est grand temps de rallumer les étoiles
  • The Man With The Dancing Eyes
  • It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #3)