Start by marking “The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas” as Want to Read:
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas

(The Umbrella Academy #2)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  18,025 ratings  ·  1,270 reviews
The team is despondent following the near apocalypse created by one of their own and the death of their beloved mentor Pogo. So it's a great time for another catastrophic event to rouse the team into action. Trouble is—each member of the team is distracted by some very real problems of their own. The White Violin is bedridden due to an unfortunate blow to the head. Rumor h ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Dark Horse Comics (first published September 30th 2009)

·  18,025 ratings  ·  1,270 reviews

Start your review of The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
C.G. Drews
yep and i'm done!!! forever!!! I hoped this one would have more info on where S2 of the show might go? But it actually had more of the plot they put in S1 so that at least made sense. And ok I realise it's unfair to compare the two mediums because, for starters, they're different authors and storylines. but this just is so not the style of comic I want to read. plus it uses gore and violence for comedy. I like dark things, and I like them to be treated with the weight that they deserve. Not like ...more
mark monday
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comicon
heaps and heaps of fun. this second collection of The Umbrella Academy never loses sight of its primary purpose - mining the past of slaughter-happy 'child' super-agent Number 5 - while cramming its narrative with wall-to-wall digressions including various character bits, parallel plots, the pros & cons of time travel, the Vietnam War, guardians of the timestream (including a particularly cold-blooded goldfish), genetically enhanced chimpanzees, a monstrous Lincoln Memorial, two vicious assassin ...more
Dan Schwent
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
In this, the second Umbrella Academy collection, Spaceman has eaten himself into obesity, Kraken has gotten a bit more obsessive, White Violin is in the hospital and paralzyed since the previous volume, and Number Five, after some shenanigans at the dog track, goes back in time to prevent himself from preventing the Kennedy assassination...

The Umbrella Academy is a fun read, like Tim Burton doing the X-Men. Where else would you see a character travelling back in time to prevent his older self fr
Devann
It pains me to continue to rate this series so low, but I just feel like he took SO MANY cliches and tropes and mashed them all together and it really doesn't work, both in terms of making sense plot-wise and in making me care about any of the characters beyond their stereotypical archetype. *sighs* I'm hoping Killjoys will be better when I get to that ...
Layla (Between the Lines)
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
First of all, The Umbrella Academy series on Netflix really surprised me. I wasn't expecting it to be anything amazing but I ended up finishing the whole show in a day. It wasn't perfect but I've been looking for a dysfunctional family of adopted superheroes/anti-heroes recently and this is as close as it gets to that. Anyway, this second volume was pretty great and I'm looking forward to the next season of the show.
Calista
I read the 1st volume a while back and I thought it was good, but confusing and not great. I then saw the new show on Netflix recently and it made sense of that 1st story. Some content from this book was also put into the Netflix series. Anyway, all this to say, I thought this volume was much better and it made more sense. It wasn't as disjointed as the first one was, I felt. I'm glad I read this.

The Netflix series is even better than these books. It's a case where the show is better than the bo
Chad
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I like how Way weaves all these plot threads that seem to have nothing to do with one another into a cohesive story by the end of the arc. It feels like a Vertigo book with ADD. I do have to wonder when Way is going to let something nice happen to the cast. Just when you think how could this get any worse for this family, Way drives them even deeper to despair. But I guess that's also part of the series' subversive charm because this book is still a lot of bat-shit crazy, over the top fun.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
The next season of Umbrella Academy comes out soon so I caught up with the family in Hoopla. This one centers around the JFK assassination for a very important reason!

I didn't connect well with this one, maybe it's too focused on a character that I don't like much, maybe it's the silly cartoon head characters... but I'm interested in how they deal with it on the show.

And hey, I didn't know Gerard Way was the same guy as the frontman for My Chemical Romance. That's pretty cool.
Gabrielle
Much, much better than the first "Umbrella Academy" story, this is where the admittedly interesting characters created by Way are finally developed!

After the narrowly avoided apocalypse of the aptly titled "Apocalypse Suite" (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...), the White Violin is amnesiac, Rumor has lost her voice and Spaceboy sunk into a vortex of junk food and TV. But they won't have much of a choice shaking off their funk when their mysterious brother Number Five is being pursued by a
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
I tend to get interested in the plots for this series but the writing doesn’t do a ton for me. There’s something about the characterizations that just isn’t clicking for me. Which is fine, I can sort of turn my brain off and read for the plot but it keeps me from getting connected the way I do to the characters in the Netflix series.

Anyway, season one of the show appears to be a mix of volumes 1 and 2.
Mizuki
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pre-review: I'd seen this book in the library, and now I need to get my hands on it.

Actual review starts here:

Let's assassinate JFK! Let's do time-travel! Let's nuke the entire planet!

There really are a lot of excitement going on in this volume, and the artwork, the character designs are as awesome as always, plus the talking-monkeys really are damn interesting! Let's rock n' roll!

I can't wait to read the next volume!
Roda Mohamed
Really wanted to enjoy this series but none of the characters seem more than 2D cut outs. The plot is as nonsensical and messy as always, feeling like a bad acid trip of sorts. This is where I part with this series.
Deborah
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Umbrella Academy siblings are back but in very bad shape after the earth’s near annihilation by one of their own and the death of their beloved Pogo. When another threat looms to change the world, No. 5, Kraken aka Diego, Rumor aka Allison, Seance aka Klaus, and Space aka Luthor converge in Dallas in 1963. The pace continues but at time the gore was too much.
selis şen
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
much better than the first one. \m/
Alexandra Elend Wolf
“We each play the part written for us. You can’t fight the future.”

To say that I had no idea about what this volume was gonna be about is a huge understatement. Sure, I half thought it would have something of the TV show in there that I would recognize -in which I wasn't wrong - but, overall, I had no idea what the plot could be.

I was very pleasantly surprised in what I ended up finding.

With its signature craziness and goriness, Volume 2 of The Umbrella Academy did more than I could
Alison
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
review here: https://youtu.be/l9c4rNh3UcA
Wing Kee
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow I did not expect that!!

World: What can I say about Bass art?! Without it this book would not work, it's his style that sets the tone and also disarms reader's expectations and then blows they fucking brains out. His designs and frames are fantastic and adding those colors, magnificent. The world building is also amazing, I did not expect to see what we saw this arc. I didn't expect a crazy time travel adventure with this and man the place we went and the world pieces that were created, fanta
Paz R.M.
This was soooo much better than the first volume! It's bonkers and has a fair share of bloody scenes, an absurd sense of humour and it's just a better story. Even when Number Five is the main player, I feel like all the characters were developed here and the Séance is by far my favorite.
There were cool ideas before, a few brushes of eccentricity and irreverence in Apocalypse Suite, but the pay off of that first arc is found here, with an established cast of characters and a whacky world.
Plus, H
Stacee
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This story line was quite interesting. There were a few random panels that didn’t make sense to me, but I’m seriously loving this story. Oh and I find Hazel and Cha Cha more enjoyable than I probably should.

I’m not prepared to wait until August for volume 3.
Caitlin

Volume 2 picks up where the previous volume in the Umbrella Academy left off: with the world a little worse for the wear. With several members of the team out of commission, this volume focuses heavily on the time traveling Number Five and a certain presidential assassination with which he may be forced to get entangled.

Dallas is basically everything I hate about time travel stories. There are plots within plots (explained away with hand waving), a confusing thread that verges on difficult
Brandon St Mark
Really liked this a lot. It was interesting to see that Hazel and Cha Cha were only introduced in this volume. As I said in my review for the first book, I watched the TV show first and was planning on leaving it at that and not reading the comics, so that was my first exposure to this IP. I think that the TV show is a better narrative overall, but I understand why Way did things the way did due to limitations in the comics medium. I kinda wish we got too see more of Old JFK tbh, that was an int ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
“It's always a longer walk to the men's room, buckaroo.”
H&C-C
I'm really enjoying this series!
I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories - not necessarily believing them all; but I love to read and explore other's opinions and see how they made it work.
And the JFK assassination is one of my favorite theories to dig into. SO this edition really piqued some interest!
Chris Lemmerman
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The world is in peril once again, and only the Umbrella Academy can stop it. But they're either scattered to the winds, licking their wounds from their previous adventure, or...they just don't feel like it.

We're doomed.

The follow-up to a hit mini-series must have so much pressure associated with it, I can't even imagine. After the superb Apocalypse Suite, Dallas has a lot to live up to, while furthering the story and replicating what made the original so good. Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba do just
Alejandro
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece in the modern age of comic books. This second volume of The Umbrella Academy is the same as good as the first one and maybe even better. Here, the lives of the member of the Umbrella Academy continues and while both volumes show development on all members, certainly in the first volume the main character is The White Violin, in here, the second volume, it's Number Five. I don't want to spoil much since many of the excitement comes from the unexpected suprises. I just can assure tha ...more
RG
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! Loved this. Took the story of the children/adults and made it so much more. The artwork is wacky but just original and fits the story perfectly. Im so glad another novel has been announced. Definitely reccomend to people looking for something fun and different.
Thea (All About Books)
This had potential, but had a lot of pacing issues.
Elisa
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, a bit confusing, dark and lots of violence. The first two volumes seem to encompass most of what happened in the show, but in a different order.
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
This was definitely different from the first volume, both good and bad in its own way. The story arc meandered; it didn't actually bother going to Dallas until the last chapter. There was a consistent plot thread, but it was largely buried in the unending misery of every single character, who, while impressive in character design, lack substance. While each individual chapter was moderately interesting, ultimately I was left feeling very blase about the whole affair. The segments about the Perse ...more
Mike
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creator-owned
Dallas is a slightly more conventional tale than Apocalypse Suite, and hard to reconcile as a standalone book when it has such a massively mind-blowing ancestor to live up to.

Visually it's still got the talents of Gabriel Bá gracing our eyes with his beautiful weirdness - but this time around, the panels seem less complex, more focused on the single idea, with fewer secondary mind-ticklers that I recall from the previous book's storytelling genius. Almost nowhere is there some delightful detail

• The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire
  • The Magic Order #1
  • Something is Killing the Children #6
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game
  • Saga, Vol. 9
Gerard Arthur Way (born April 9, 1977) is an American singer, songwriter, musician, and comic book writer who served as frontman, lead vocalist, and co-founder of the band My Chemical Romance from the time of its formation in 2001 until its breakup in 2013. He is the author of the Eisner Award-winning comic book series The Umbrella Academy (now a Netflix original series) and The True Lives of the ...more

The Umbrella Academy (3 books)
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite