Start by marking “None to Give Away” as Want to Read:
None to Give Away

None to Give Away

Jim and Elsie Doig had confidently invested in a future together on a Montana ranch. Then in 1940 Jim was fatally injured, leaving Elsie a young widow without much experience of the world. Overnight she had to learn how to fend for herself and her five small children, including two sets of twins. Well-meaning relatives and friends advised her to put some of them up for ado ...more
Published April 1st 1992 by University of Nebraska Press (first published 1970)

Kellie
May 07, 2009 Kellie rated it it was amazing
Little story here - We were at our local Burger King and had a conversation with a veteran eating his lunch. He told me a little about the war and different things then said, "Maybe you've read my wife's book?" and told me about this book. He told me, "I come in at the last chapter :)" I reserved it through our library and had forgotten about it for weeks until they called and said I had a hold - so here it was. I LOVED this book - Mrs. Doig's husband was thrown off a horse and killed on their c ...more
Trish Boese
Jun 14, 2017 Trish Boese rated it really liked it
4* Elsie is one amazing mother! Married to a Montana cattle rancher, she had 5 babies in less than 4 years (two sets of twins!). Then when her husband died, she struggled alone to provide for them all. Part pioneer story, part memoir, part parenting-survival-tale, Elsie's story was inspirational. She is a strong woman whom I found easy to admire.
Danielle
Jul 27, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
Someone gave me this book to read after my husband passed away. It took a few weeks until I even opened it. It was interesting, though, to read how another woman with small children handled different situations as a single mom. Granted times were different and so were circumstances but the feelings were much the same.
Greg Western
Nov 07, 2014 Greg Western rated it really liked it
This is a very good memoir of life in Montana before and during WW2. The author is an amazing person who lost her husband to an accident soon after their 5th child was born. She is an example of overcoming adversity, and making things work. She is a normal person made heroic by circumstance. It is a really good book.
Guna
May 23, 2016 Guna rated it really liked it
This book chronicles Elsie's first marriage, her husband's death, then her struggles to care for her five small children. Townsend is an extremely engaging writer, and injects a lot of humor into this memoir. It is one of the best I've read in the genre.
Mary Etta
Apr 05, 2008 Mary Etta rated it liked it
I took a writing class from this author in Bozeman. She helped me get started writing my life history. I wrote the intro in her class. She was the aunt of Ivan Doig. This is her bio. She was inspiring.
Melissa
Feb 22, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
this book is by my aunt and I learned a lot about her and my cousins from this book. My mother is in it too.
Cws
Mar 23, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jf
JF-Tow
Mary Alice
Mary Alice rated it liked it
May 13, 2017
Mary Easterday
Mary Easterday rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2013
Abbie c Shannon
Abbie c Shannon rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2017
Darcy
Darcy rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2012
Lynette Damhoff
Lynette Damhoff rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Kristin Bostrom-Bates
Kristin Bostrom-Bates rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Sarah Brown
Sarah Brown rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2010
Lois
Lois rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2009
Tasha
Tasha rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2009
Mom3Girls
Mom3Girls rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 10, 2009
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 23, 2010
Dree
Dree added it
Dec 14, 2010
S
S marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2012
Ana-Lauren
Ana-Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
MissSusie
MissSusie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
GraceH
GraceH added it
Sep 19, 2014
Roxanne Pontow
Roxanne Pontow marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Marsha Bakken
Marsha Bakken marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Aug 06, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2016
Henryetta Tullis
Henryetta Tullis marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2017
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
May 29, 2017