Start by marking “Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)” as Want to Read:
Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)

Strawberry Shortcake Murder

(Hannah Swensen #2)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  16,641 ratings  ·  1,026 reviews
A New York Times best-seller, Strawberry Shortcake Murder by Joanne Fluke is a scrumptious concoction of fresh-whipped mystery and culinary intrigue. Publishers Weekly call sit a superior cozy sure to leave readers satisfied but hungry for more.

Hannah Swensen, amateur sleuth and boutique bake store proprietor extraordinaire, is judging a dessert contest when fellow judge
Audiobook, 8 pages
Published July 25th 2007 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published February 1st 2001)

·  16,641 ratings  ·  1,026 reviews

James
Hannah is great. She seems very real but I don't know the mid-west all that well, so I have a few more books to read in this series before I come to a conclusion... but I'm looking forward to it.

(MINOR SPOILER, skip next paragraph)

I was glad the coach bit the dust in this one, as he was not a very nice guy... the whole abuse factor (not brought up a lot) made it clear he had to go.

(OK to read)

I loved the way this one was portrayed on the TV series with Alison Sweeney when the made it into a show
Kat
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-n
Hannah and her zany orange cat Moisha are back at it again. A baking contest has come to Lake Eden, and Hannah is making her famous Strawberry Shortcake Swenson (yum! I always get so hungry and want to fill my house with cupcakes reading Joanne Fluke’s cozies with all the delicious descriptions and recipes!)

But when one of the judges is murdered, and it happens to be the basketball coach who Hannah knows has been abusing his wife Danielle, suspicion turns to her. Hannah and her sister Andrea ha
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
"Most people don't lock their garages in Lake Eden. There's practically to crime. If you don't count murder."

When Lake Eden is chosen to host the annual Bake Off competition, Hannah gets busy baking special creations to show off on television. Unfortunately, the violent death of one of the judges will leave everyone with a bitter taste in their mouths. And, once again, Hannah will find a way to get as involved as possible in the investigations... is someone developing a taste for murder?

Hannah
Elle's Book Blog
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
:: 4 Delicious Stars ::

I adore this series. It is light, action packed, fun, and leaves readers craving for more. Hannah Swensen (the books heroine/amateur sleuth) is very likeable. She is smart, charming, and really knows how to dish out delicious treats! While I do feel like her character could be a bit more dynamic, there really isn’t anything bad I can say about her. Hopefully as the series progresses her character will develop a bit more. In addition to this, the plot is a bit predictable
Amanda
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kabul-books
I really liked book #1 and I quickly bought and finished the second installment. Had to lower my rating though because the book is EXACTLY the same as the first one. As if it was written by a template or paint-by-numbers.

(view spoiler)
Liralen
It's a cop-out, but the Hannah Swensen mysteries really only need a lump review:

For some reason, I keep reading these when they show up at the library. I don't know why. Do I enjoy them? Sure. They're trashy murder mysteries that don't always make sense. I can huff at them in irritation when the main character does, or thinks, something especially stupid. They involve recipes.

Actually, the books are formulaic enough that they themselves were written by recipe.

Yes, I will keep reading them, assum
Chrissy
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another delicious murder mystery! Hannah has become a cooking judge in front of a live audience. She is also given her few minutes of fame before each contest begins by baking a recipe and sharing it with the viewers.

One of the judges has to back out at the last minute due to a dental emergency, so the station has to have another person randomly choosen to be a judge on such short notice. They draw the name Boyd Watson. A basketball coach at the local high school where they are filming the bakin
Mandy
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bad thing about these books is that I want to eat the entire time I'm reading! I enjoy Hannah Swensen and her uncanny ability to find herself in yet another murder mystery. It sort of reminds me of Scooby Doo and the gang and how they always wound up at the scene of a crime or in the middle of a case no matter what. I could do without the "too cheerful" dialogue and way happy ambience of these books, but I do enjoy them! This one had me stumped until the end. Now I'm on to the 3rd one :)
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, cozy-mystery
3.5 Stars

This book was good; I did really enjoy the story line and the whodunit did keep me guessing right up until the end.

My biggest issue was with Hannah; she drove me crazy! She just had this attitude about her that she knew everything. The way she talked about here sister, no wonder they didn't get along as children. I enjoy cozy mysteries, I think they are a lot of fun; but Hannah's whole 'I better than the police' started to get on my nerves.

Like I said, I did enjoy it and I will be conti
Charla Cope
Here I am on a diet and after finishing this all I’m craving now is sweets! I like how there are several recipes in these books for the deserts that are mentioned throughout it and I like the light hearted love triangle that’s developing! It’s mainly the same plot as the first book and I figured out the killer a little before he was revealed but I enjoyed it and I look forward to the next one.
Robin Loves Reading
Our lovely amateur sleuth Hannah Swensen is back and has been thrust into an opportunity to solve yet another murder. Hannah is an exceptional bakery owner who already has enough on her plate, literally.

This time around, Hannah is afforded the opportunity to serve as head judge at the town of Lake Eden's first annual Desert Bake-Off. However, Coach Boyd Watson, a fellow judge is murdered. Hannah does two things: she keeps perfecting her delectable recipes, which are shared with readers throughou
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 7

In Depth

Best Part:
Food, duh.
Worst Part: Kinda the same plot as book 1.
Thoughts Had: Being on a diet stinks.

Conclu
Naomi
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where is my insulin?? This book was way to sticky sweet and the emphasis was on how the author was going to be able to fit her recipes into the storyline versus the story line itself. I do believe, unless I need them for a challenge, this is my last Joanne Fluke book, unless I grab them to see what recipes she puts in them!
Mayda
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
It’s not all sugar and sweetness for Hannah in this cozy mystery. Judging a Dessert Bake-Off sounds like fun, until one of the judges is found dead. But the dead man, a coach and abusive husband, had more than one enemy, and Hannah is determined to narrow down the suspects. Hannah enlists the help of her sister to do some sleuthing, but they find more than they bargained for. The only thing that will slow down your reading of this tale are the recipes that are sprinkled throughout the story. You ...more
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating:3.5

This was an enjoyable read. I thought that the story was great, and I love the whodunit concept. Cozy mysteries are my favourite type of mysteries. I really wanted to eat the food. The characters were great. Hannah is narrowing the suspects for who killed the coach, a judge for the Dessert Bake-Off. The story had many twists and turns in the story. I hope the series continues like this because I really enjoy seeing Hannah and her sister work together to solve the case. I want to
Bookishrealm
I'm enjoying the heck out of this series. It isn't the best writing but goodness it definitely is one of the most relaxing reads I've had in a while. I'm loving it. And I can't wait to continue listening to them all on audiobook.
Janie Johnson
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I chose to read this book for the March Mystery Madness challenge that is going on. I am not at all familiar with cozy mysteries so it was a good idea for me to choose one for this challenge to kind of get an idea of what they are like. This one was for a cozy mystery involving cooking or crafting. I have not had the chance to read the first book since I do not own that one, but since this series has different cases with each book, it was fine to start with book 2. I did discover that with readi ...more
Rebbie
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is the second cozy mystery in the Hannah Swensen series by Joanne Fluke. For those of you who don't know, you can currently watch this series on the Hallmark channel. I personally haven't seen it, although I have heard it's great.

Set in the fictional tiny town of Lake Eden, MI, Hannah Swensen is the owner of a bakery called The Cookie Jar. Once again, there's been a murder, and once again, we find Hannah placing herself in the middle of the investigation.

Why she gets away with this, I don'
Sheri
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Joanne Fluke)
Murder Mystery. Hannah Swensen is a baker living in rural Minnesota. When she is not baking she is solving crimes...this job just comes naturally to her. Hannah is asked to judge a four day bake sale. After the first day one of the judges, Coach Boyd Watson is found dead and Hannah is on the scene.

Hannah with the help of her sister Andrea, decide to do some investigating
Fast paced who done it, with twists, turns a lot of suspects is a fun page turning al
Erin Dombrowski
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
these books are entertaining and a quick read. the mysteries aren't terribly complex, but they do offer some intriguing twists and turns to keep you reading! the bonus is that each book offers a handful if yummy-sounding dessert recipes. if you like to cook/bake/eat (lol), then that's just another reason to pick up these books! I've already got the next 2 on hold at the library and I can't wait to see what kind of shenanigans Hannah gets herself into next. :)
Kay Van Slyke
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good one!! Fun murder mystery along with some new recipes. I'm definitely going to have to try to make the Chocolate Highlander Cookie Bars. Yum!! Also, my new motto from this book is: "If chocolate were a mandatory part of breakfast, people wouldn't be so grouchy in the morning"!!
Laurel
This is the second cozy, Strawberry Shortcake Murder, by Joanne Fluke that I have enjoyed. I am already realizing that completing these books in order is advantageous, given that each book adds more layers to the main characters: Hannah, otherwise known as The Cookie Lady, the proprietress of a very successful bake shop, Andrea, her real estate broker sister and sidekick, and several other folks who work and live in the Minnesota town of Eden Mill. This book could be read as a standalone, but I ...more
Toni
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story features Hannah Swensen, and she is one of the judges of the Heartland Flour Dessert Bakeoff that is being broadcast on the local television station. One of the judges has to bow out and they bring in, Boyd Watson, a character from the Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder who was proven to be a wife beater. He is the coach of the Gulls high school basketball varsity team. He says some not so nice things to some of the contestants and they end up finding his dead body the next day. Hannah gets ...more
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, cozy-mysteries
2nd in the Hannah Swensen series.

The second installment of the series improved on the first. Hannah is obviously growing as a character. She makes better decisions, yet is still her impulsive self. Her relationship with her sister, Andrea, is also growing.

This time when murder strikes in Lake Eden, Hannah needs to help her friend, Danielle, who is suspected of murdering her battering husband. Andrea insists on helping Hannah and the two become quite the investigative pair. Andrea is the charmer
terpkristin
Another alright book. I listened to the audiobook and devoured it, but it's more because it was an easy listen than because it was super good. I did like getting introduced to a character who I know plays a role in a later book. I wish Audible provided a PDF of the recipes. I guess I'll have to go to the library to get a copy, as some of them sound interesting.
Noriko
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I haven’t read many cozy-mysteries so I’m still a novice in this genre, but I must say that this is the best cozy-mystery series I have read so far.

Just like the previous book, Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, Hannah is likeable as ever, I particularly liked her quick-wittedness and how physically capable she is. The confront scene with a murderer was not only thrilling and suspenseful, but also glorious displaying her physical capability of taking on a villain armed with a shotgun (!!!) not to men
 Olivermagnus
When the president of Hartland Flour chooses Lake Eden, Minnesota as the host for their first annual Dessert Bake-Off, Hannah is overjoyed to be picked to serve as head judge. When a fellow judge has to drop out due to illness, Coach Boyd Watson is selected to replace him. During the first day's competition, Coach Boyd rudely criticizes the desserts of four of the contestants, annoying everyone. Later that evening Hannah gets an urgent call from her friend and Boyd's wife, Danielle. When she arr ...more
Theresa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimes
There is a point in this book at which any basic human intelligence, or probably one of those chess-playing computers, would figure out the killer with no problem. Coincidentally, this is the exact same point at which Hannah suddenly becomes dumber than a sack of rocks. I assume she got hit in the head with an oven door off-camera or something. There was no mention of Mike's moustache but I have to assume it is still there, lurking.
Badseedgirl
I'm not sure I like the dessert recipes better than the cookie recipes. I thought this plot was a tad draggy at times,which explains why it took me so long to read, but I like the light hearted love triangle developing.
Andrea Cox
A cute cozy mystery, this book had an interesting plot with a fun baking contest angle. I enjoyed listening to this on audio, loaned from my local library. The narrator did a wonderful job.

Content: alcohol, expletives, sexual innuendo
Around the Year i...: Strawberry Shortcake Murder, by Joanne Fluke 1 14 Nov 28, 2016 10:30AM
The Women's Myste...: #2 Strawberry Shortcake Murder 1 6 Aug 09, 2013 11:11PM

• Sugar and Spice
  • Sticks & Scones (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Diva Takes the Cake (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #2)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch

Hannah Swensen (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)
“If chocolate were a mandatory part of breakfast, people wouldn’t be so
grouchy in the morning.”
19 likes
“There was something wonderful about a blank sheet of notepaper. The lines were there, just waiting to be filled, and the page could turn into anything from a grocery list to the opening of The Great American Novel. The possibilities were endless.” 2 likes