Start by marking “The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide” as Want to Read:
The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide

The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide

(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-4 & short stories)

The More Than Complete Hitchhikers Guide Douglas Adams
Published October 16th 1989 by Bonanza Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide

carol.
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a sense of the absurd
The edition of the Guide that replaced all others in my library, it contains an introduction by Douglas Adams that adds interesting details for fans of the series in his characteristic voice. Originally a radio series, it was produced by the BBC. "I think that the BBC's attitude toward the show while it was in production was very similar to that which Macbeth had toward murdering people--initial doubts, followed by cautious enthusiasm and then greater and greater alarm at the sheer scale of the ...more
J.G. Keely
The universe is a joke.

Even before I was shown the meaning of life in a dream at 17 (then promptly forgot it because I thought I smelled pancakes), I knew this to be true--and yet, I have always felt a need to search for the truth, that nebulous, ill-treated creature. Adams has always been, to me, to be a welcome companion in that journey.

Between the search for meaning and the recognition that it's all a joke in poor taste lies Douglas Adams, and, luckily for us, he doesn't seem to mind if you
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: andrew-s, sf, fiction, owned
A re-read. Obviously.

Read the entire thing aloud to Jefferson as bedtime story night after night. It took ages.

In recognition of both my father reading the first book to me as a bedtime story when I was a wee lass, and Andrew's many, many readings of this book in grad school. Bedtime story often became a whole family affair.

Thoughts on reading it all again: The first book and the fourth book are definitely my favorites. The second and third I could largely do without, except you'd miss the whole
Cosmic Sher
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. Just read it already. If you don't get it, wait a couple of years then read it again. Seriously. Oh, and don't panic!
Emily W
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is by far my new favorite book I have read. Granted I have a horrible memory and tend to forget what books I have said were my favorite in the past, but I don't see myself forgetting this one. I picked this book to read because my dad had read it and liked it, and I was in the mood for something funny. On top of my dad nagging at me to read it, I also overheard a snippet of an audiobook version of another Douglas Adams’ book and it definitely made me want to read his stuff.

The version I re
Troy Neujahr
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so cool you could keep a side of meat in it for a month. It is so hip it has difficulty seeing over it's own pelvis. You sass that hoopy Douglas Adams? There's a frood that really knows where his towel is.

True story: This book is so awesome that when I first read it in seventh grade, I deliberately decided to memorize "Xanthic Restructron Destabilized Zenon Emitter."

Oh, and the way in which Arthur Dent finally has pleasant things happen to him in "So Long and Thanks for All the Fi
Irene
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-be-reread
I wasn't too thrilled with this book. I think I expected a lot more of it due to its fame than it could deliver, and that's probably part of the reason. I don't regret reading this, but I doubt I'll read the fifth book in the series (which is not included in this collection, oddly enough). It was funny at times, but I got bored pretty quickly; that's why it took me so long to read it. It was, I am a bit ashamed to say, a relief to finally finish this book so that I could move on to the next one ...more
Brian
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-fiction
Entertainment-1 Stars
Education- 1 Star
Readability- 1 star
Innovation- 0 Stars
Inspiration- 1 Stars

I loved this book. It was pretty easy to read and very funny. Comedy is difficult :)

Marvin the robot captures my view of the world. I know this is most unfortunate. But it doesn't really matter anyway as we will all be dead and gone when the sun goes supernova in 5 billion years. We'll just mope along till then.

The part where the aliens send their invasion force to earth and turns out they are about t
Rhettreaux
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
When the first two words that popped into my mind to describe this series of books were "endearing" and "mind-opening", I realized how unique this book truly is. The characters are so human (even when they are decidedly NOT), vulnerable, and understandable even while the scenarios they are hurled into are bizarre, inexplicable, and inscrutable. This book made me laugh out loud while I was reading it and made me contemplate how we are tiny specks in the universe whenever I set it down.

Don't feel
Vicky
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recently, a show on our NPR station replayed over several weeks the BBC radio series of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which prompted me to get out my copy and read it again. It still holds up, makes me laugh out loud and provides words of wisdom to live by. Today would have been Adam's 61 birthday and the Google Doodle is a fitting tribute. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/c...

Ben Stiefel
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i only give this 4 stars because of the 2 times i bought this version, the binding was terrible... the book fell apart on me. still the best series, but just not my favorite edition
Matt
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Adams signed my copy...
Fiona Russo
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite compilation.
Alex Guo
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
sometimes not exciting, a real mind bender though
Chris
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The More than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Review

Is it more important to know where we are going or who we are? Douglas Adams’ The More than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a humorous tale with a deeper meaning hidden in the text. In this sci-fi comedy, there are amazing and unique characters who really stood out to me. The story follows many different people as they journey through space doing all sorts of things of varying magnitudes, from saving the universe to maki
Steve Tetreault
I had read Douglas Adams' entire catalog back in high school and had enjoyed it, so when I saw someone discussing The Hitchhiker's Guide a while back and realized I no longer had my copies, I picked this one up so I'd have it all in one place. But then I never actually got around to reading it. When I did pick it up, I read the first few chapters and was dismayed to find I wasn't enjoying it nearly as much as I had remembered. So I put it aside and forgot about it for a while.

When I recently fou
Jdetrick
The first three books in this collection are certainly worth five stars....while Douglas Adams' plotting is always a little wonky and his character work is sketchy, his prose is a dream to read. His sentence structure is a wonder to behold, and it's also very funny. Unfortunately, this is not a series that needed more than three books, and by the fourth book the plotting has become extremely problematic and impossible to ignore anymore and even his prose can't make up for the holes in both the p ...more
Kirstin
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I feel like I might just get stoned by my literary peers with this review, but here goes: 'The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy' was just not my cup of tea.
I'm glad to have read/experienced it for myself finally, as it is commonly accepted as a sci-fi/comedy standard of the 20th century western literature canon. And while it was definitely interesting, I think it was perhaps just a little too heavy into a zany or wacky comedy feel for my own personal tastes.
That being said, and for the record,
Ramona Tibrin
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I never thought i'll ever have a favorite book , i mean .. how can you choose ..and then .. i read " The complete Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy " .

I've never had my imagination so strongly exercised before . Every single chapter was like a conversation with yet another toddler that explained how he thought things and the universe worked.

So funny , so witty , so addictive .

From now on , whenever i'm having a bad day , i'll just pick up this book , and read any chapter at random , any given
Courtney Harbin
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a funny and clever read. Adams takes everything we think we know and turns it all upside down. The comedy, especially in the first two books, is great. The characters are all wonderful. I am especially fond of Marvin and Fenchurch. There were times where I felt the story was dragging, especially in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, but it's still entertaining enough. It's worth checking out at least once. I know I will be reading this again.
Finley
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy is a crazy, hilarious, and overall great book. It blows all human logic out the window in a comedic fashion. Its absurdity feels surprisingly believable. The story is amazing and completely weird. I feel though, it could go over some peoples heads in its craziness. Overall, it is a great read.
Paula O'Connor
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the first and last book, but I had trouble with the books in the middle. They were meandering and confusing. I muddled through and made it to the last book which was my second favorite book in the series!
Camille
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite and an all time classic. Fantasy, comedy and science all together, DNA is a genius at the art of story telling. The cosmic back drop is perfect for all of the insanity that Douglas thought up and put together. Bravo.
Ocean Zen
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Each of the books in the series had its own unique flavor; but, I have to admit that I found the last book in this series to be a bit anticlimactic and it left so many unanswered questions. Overall I like the series and the humor.
G
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious search for the meaning of life, the universe, and everything and exactly what that means.
Vic Santos
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very classic "trilogy." Worth more than one read to pick up all the subtleties.
Timothy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun and easy to read, but not as much fun as I thought it was in the 90s.
Debra
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten most of the details although I did remember the main plot line. Still a hoot after all these years. Much better than the movie or series.
Sabina Simon
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Loved the first book, but I couldn't get through the second book, so I quit reading.
Zak
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, long book!

• Glory Lane
  • Marco and the Red Granny
  • Minerva Wakes
  • The Robot Novels: The Caves of Steel / The Naked Sun (Robot #1-2)
  • Paradise Lost and Other Poems
  • The Works of H.G. Wells
  • On Her Majesty's Occult Service (Laundry Files, #1-2)
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • Troublemakers: Stories by Harlan Ellison
  • How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide
  • The Toynbee Convector
  • Uncle John's Ahh-Inspiring Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #15)
  • Zeely
  • Journey to Cubeville
  • The Norby Chronicles (Norby, #1-2)
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Prisoner
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was co ...more

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 books)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
“Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss.” 4 likes