Start by marking “Airman” as Want to Read:
Airman

Airman

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  18,744 ratings  ·  1,500 reviews
Conor Broekhart was born to fly. In fact, legend has it that he was born flying, in a hot air balloon at the Paris Worlds Fair.

In the 1890s Conor and his family live on the sovereign Saltee Islands, off the Irish coast. Conor spends his days studying the science of flight with his tutor and exploring the castle with the kings daughter, Princess Isabella. But the boys
Audio CD, 12 pages
Published December 26th 2007 by Listening Library (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Airman, please sign up.
Ethan This is an AMAZING book! Anybody I know who has picked this up has loved it!

·  18,744 ratings  ·  1,500 reviews

Start your review of Airman
Betsy
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How Not to Review a Book: Do not begin your review by jumping off into some big old rant about how you never liked anything the author wrote before, particularly if you are about to praise their newest novel. Do not use phrases like how did this happen? and why now? and are they near death? You may mention how impressed you were with the authors speaking engagements, mentioning in passing their brilliant encapsulation of, oh say, The Legend of Spud Murphy. Do not then mention how disappointed ...more
Michael Ames
Fact: I was a nerd growing up (still am). Theory: Eoin Colfer was, too. Evidence: His books are a total celebration of nerd-dom. Honestly, between Artemis Fowl and now Airman, he's satisfying every daydreaming-during-trigonometry fantasy of every boy out there who's had to struggle with the fact that he has more brains than biceps.

I'll admit that the main character in this book, Conor Broekhart, is tough and good-looking. But that's entirely secondary to the fact that he's a mechanical genius
Bry
Know what I love these days???

Stand alone novels!

No sequels, prequels, trilogies, remakes, rewrites, re-releases, etc. etc. etc.

A single book with a beginning, middle, and end.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I really enjoyed it - the plot, characters, and writing. At first I thought it would be a bit too similar to the Count of Monte Cristo, it even had a dash of Man in the Iron Mask thrown in. Despite that, it was still original and suspenseful and had me vested in the outcome.

I
Stephanie (Bookfever)
NEW EDITION OF AIRMAN COMING MARCH 2, 2021 BY DISNEY-HYPERION

Airman is a very special book to me. I read it a few times when I was younger and I thought it was high time for a re-read. I'm so glad to find it even better than I remembered. As much as I love Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series, I have to say that I think Airman is his best work so far (of the books I have read by him). It's simply a beautiful story. I'd forgotten how beautiful it really was. It also has a lot of adventure, a budding
Hope
"Airman" is the thrilling story of a fourteen year old boy named Conor Broekhart who dreams of flight. Unfortunately, his dreams are dashed when Conor is accused of murdering the king and is sent to the dreaded prison island of Little Saltee. All throughout his stay, Conor draws up his plans of escape, but the only way to escape Little Saltee is to fly.

I loved Conor Broekhart so much. He was this sweet, innocent, and nerdy kid who was obsessed with planes and gliders and such. I loved getting
Sara ♥
February 13-14, 2019

Has it really been that long since I read this book? Sad! It's sooooo good! I went to my 3rd grader's book fair, which was in their school library, and saw this on the shelf. I was like, "Yaaaasss I want to read it again!!!" So I did. :) What a great book!!

November 1-3, 2013

Only 42 stars, Past Sara? Really? I know you were trying to be funny with the Hitchhiker's reference there, but you were seriously undervaluing this book!

It's AWESOME. Conor is THE BEST EVAR!!! It's kind
Mya
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wow. That's all I can really say. This book, and my feels, took a beating. There were some points when I wanted to throw it across the room and go hurt something. It's that good.
I advise, before you start this book, to invest in a good psychiatrist. The plotting is so...thick...so complex that I could hardly put it down. (Unfortunately, I had to, as I had to see to my life and feed myself.) But, really, Eoin Colfer, I love you dearly. The characters, the plot, the whole world is just
Janette
First of all, let me say that I am a total Eoin Colfer fan. Really. I bought this book without knowing anything about it except that Eoin Colfer wrote it--and I usually don't do that. He is such a skilled writer though. He effortlessly juggles pacing, dialogue, action, internal thought, characterization, description--all of it. He makes it look easy. And in omniscient point of view too.

That said, I had a major problem with this book. One part was totally unbelievable.

*spoiler alert*

Oh, I was
Conor Broekhart lives on a small island governed by King Nicholas Trudeau. Conor's days are spent with his tudor and playing with princess Isabella. But Conor's real passion is flying. All Conor's life he's dreamed of flying. He spends massive amounts of time and energy pursuing his obsession. That changes when he discovers a plot to overthrow the king and becomes tangled in the mess and branded as a traitor, being sent off to work in the diamond mines on little Saltee.

I decided to read this
Becky
I picked this book up quite a while ago, but never got around to reading it until I decided to give it away. I'm not sure why I never read it, because everything about this seems like it would be to my taste. I really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series, and laugh like a loon whenever I read them, so I had a pretty good idea that I would like his other books, but still I put this off.

Well I'm glad that I decided to give it away, because it gave me an excuse to read this sooner than later, and I'm
Robert Tabb
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife mentioned the other day that I am "all about the ending" when it comes to books or movies. And that is why I can't bring myself to give Airman 5 stars even though it is one of the most enjoyable books I've read.

A royal romance, a plot to overthrow the government, a prison break, and high-flying (literally - of course everything in a book is literal) adventure, and awesome names (Declan Brokehart is such a cool name) abound in this wonderfully written adventure following Conor
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
A monkey glances up and sees a banana, and that's as far as he looks. A visionary looks up and sees the moon.
Eoin Colfer, Airman

-> "An average human sees a book as pages and ink. An avid reader looks up for an adventure and knowledge"
- Numey

Airman by Eoin Colfer, about a crisp-sarcastic-determined-soft.from.heart-knighted-flyer aka Conor Broekhart

((Will write later, soon))

My 'soon' never comes :/ Even after my tomorrow goes, my soon never comes, no idea why!
Ezra
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Who couldn't love this book. Dare I say, this is Eoin Colfer's best work. I mean, I'll always be AF af, but this is pretty darn good. It kept me hooked all the way through, and it's got such great progression.

Also, can we just take a second to appreciate that name? CONOR BROEKHART

Not to mention, Hugo Bonvilain, who is surprisingly the villain. Plot twist.

But really, this is a fantastic book and I absolutely loved it.
Nüll
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
Wonderful! Amazing! I can still feel the air in my face!
J.E.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inventive, imaginative story. Simple, but intelligent and emotionally complex. Good character development, even without getting very deep into the characters head. It started out very MG, and as the character grew the narrative grew a bit. But it never got to the point that I would consider it YA, even though the character was 17 at the end.
I did have one small complaint, which is probably a manner of taste. (some spoilers) The text was very clear that the character's family was the main
Writer's Relief
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a mash-up of an Ironman graphic novel with The Count of Monte Cristo, and you have Eoin Colfers The Airman. The beginning of The Airman feels a little like a superhero origin story. Our young protagonist, Conor, is the son of a kings guard, and he spends his time exploring the castle. We meet his childhood friend, the princess, and following along while he learns a crazy amount of skills from his wise and talented tutorwho happens to believe that someday humans will be able to fly the ...more
Jimmy
good book, upbeat
Aileen M
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fun read! I feel like it can appeal to many age groups, and had an interesting storyline.
Jamie Dacyczyn
Well, I think I'll go ahead and give this one 4 stars, which is fairy high praise from me. I didn't care for Artemis Fowl when I read it years ago, but still decided to give this stand-alone novel a shot. Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE stand-alone novels compared to fluffed trilogies or endless series?

This book felt a bit like a superhero origin tale. Although it was a bit far fetched in some areas (of course our young protagonist learns fencing, wrestling, AND karate from a master, how
Penny McGill
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-older-kids
We liked this book a lot - drawn to it by Eoin Colfer, of course - but I have to say I am a bit sorry that my 11-year old daughter read it. I know that is a bit crazy because she has done the Hunger Games, Maze Runner and Divergent and they are filled with violence and stress that I hope neither she or any of her friends ever deal with or even think they'll come close to seeing in their lives but the details in those series seem to be on the edge of entertainment, as if there isn't ever a chance ...more
Katherine
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
I read this to my step-daughter. We had read Colfers previous books all of which we enjoyed, so we were looking forward to this one. It was a disappointment.

None of Eoin Colfers books are exactly realistic, in the Artemis Fowl series for instance, fairies, centaurs and wild, impossible schemes abound, but theres a sense of fun, a playfulness that keeps the reader entertained and engaged. The Airman is serious, bleak even, so that there is nothing to balance the pure comic book evil of the
Jenna
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Wow, a single volume YA book! Shocking!
Review to follow, but 4 stars for now!

EDIT: And fresh off the blogger press, a review at TheOtakuLibrarian
Alexandra
I couldn't get through Artemis Fowl. I liked Half-Moon Investigations ok. THIS story I really enjoyed. Political intrigue and adventure. I cared about the characters. Over all a great read.
Hannah
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. I wanted to scream at Conor near the end. But I liked it a lot more than AF
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
I LOVED THIS BOOK. It's the kind of story that I could read over and over and over again and never get tired of. Review to come soon.
Zara
"Conor Broekhart was born to fly, or more accurately he was born flying."

I enjoyed Airman much more the second time around.

Conor Broekhart was born flying and has been obsessed with the idea of flight ever since. At the age of fourteen, he is labelled a traitor and sent to Little Saltee prison for a crime that he did not commit. The only way that he can escape the prison and reclaim his life is by flight.

Conor is an extremely likable character. He's intelligent and has a scientist's mind
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Like most of Eoin Colfer's work, Airman was delightful, engaging, and FUN to read. It doesn't seem to matter what subject or genre he's writing about, I am always enthralled by his characters and their stories.

My only nitpick about this story was towards the ending, so I'll try not to spoil it. The villain leaves a message for Conor that directly contradicts information he thought true, yet he never realizes it until he's told outright by others. Then again, the message wasn't relayed exactly
Sarah Cavar
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3(.5) well-deserved stars for amazing storytelling and perfect pacing. It's a quick, escapist read, easy to get lost in.

-1.5 stars for its frustrating eurocentrism and uncritical use of so-called "period appropriate language" (such as "Oriental" instead of "Asian"), the way it denied agency to Isabella (one of only two women or as the book calls them, "females" in the book with speaking roles) when her intellect and independence clearly rivaled the male MC.

Also, this book does that thing with
Charlie Peng
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was just really overwhelming in terms of historical accurateness even though it was a fiction novel. I really liked the plot how it kind of related to Icarus having to fly out of a prison cell in order to escape the tower he is trapped in. This novel is dark with lots of mystery, adventure, and sometimes a feel-good type of feeling. I thought that the book represented a lot of the past events in history like locking him up in a tower like they did Helen of Troy while other ...more
Jerry T
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Airman is a book about a rich kid that was a friend of the royal family, who was convicted of a murder that he didn't commit, and was sentenced to a prison where prisoners have to search for diamonds for the rest of his life. While there, he constructs a winged flying mechanism and escapes. He then saves the royal family from being killed by the murderer,(view spoiler)
I rate this book 10/10. It is a great story, including lots of character
Historical fiction 2 7 Oct 31, 2015 04:22PM
Boys in books are just better... 9 58 Feb 04, 2015 08:42AM
thoughts and comments 21 29 Apr 12, 2013 08:33AM

• Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1)
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Fatal Fever: Tracking Down Typhoid Mary
  • Bluefish
  • 90 Miles to Havana
  • Death on the River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Amazon Adventure
  • Water Keep (Farworld, #1)
  • Stoneheart (Stoneheart trilogy, #1)
  • Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)
  • Juliet Dove, Queen of Love
  • A Practical Guide to Evil V (A Practical Guide to Evil, #5)
  • Brandon Mull's Beyonders Trilogy: A World Without Heroes; Seeds of Rebellion; Chasing the Prophecy
  • Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • Ring of Fire
  • The Watch That Ends the Night
  • Tozer: Mystery Of The Holy Spirit
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the