Start by marking “A Party in Ramadan” as Want to Read:
A Party in Ramadan

A Party in Ramadan

Readers learn about the Islamic observance of Ramadan in this charming story of a young Muslim girl determined to do the right thing during her first Ramadan fast.

Ramadan is coming and Leena is excited. Although she is too young to fast every day during the Muslim religious festival, Leena decides to fast each Friday instead. When Leena receives an invitation to a party wh
Published April 1st 2009 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about A Party in Ramadan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Party in Ramadan

Start your review of A Party in Ramadan
Lisa Vegan
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: learning about Ramadan; kids who have or have friends who have different traditions
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I think that this is the first book I’ve read where Ramadan has a central role, and it’s certainly the first such children’s picture book I’ve read. I’m lucky because it’s a wonderful book.

I’m so glad it ended as it did because all the way through the book, as I was reading, I was thinking of that occurrence as the perfect solution, although I would have added in the beverage too.

This is a terrific book for children, both for those kids who know nothing about Ramadan and those kids who observe i
Abigail
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books for Ramadan
Although too young to participate in the full month of Ramadan fasting, Leena is determined to abstain from food and water for at least one day, selecting the very first Friday of the season, when her Aunt Sana will be visiting with the family. But when she is invited to her friend Julia's birthday party - a party with a pony! - the very same day, she is faced with a difficult choice. Leena doesn't want to give up her fast (and the subsequent breaking of the fast, together with her family), but ...more
Ala Abdallah
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
This story is about a girl, Leena, who decides to fast the first day in Ramadan that also happens to land on the day of her friend's birthday party. She doesn't seem to notice at first that she is fasting until they bring out the cake. She is tired from playing out in the sun all day and sits in another room while the rest of her friends enjoy chocolate cake and cold lemonade. She ends up falling asleep on her friend's couch and the next thing she knows she's at home with a meal cooking on the s ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Mobin-Uddin, Asma A Party in Ramadan, illustrated by Laura Jacobson. PICTURE BOOK. Boyds Mills Press (Highlights), 2009. $8. 9781629798479

Leena is a young Muslim girl. She has decided to try fasting for Ramadan for the first time, but just for one day, not the entire month. At the end of a long day without food and water, her family will break their fast with prayers and feast. But Leena has been invited to a birthday party, will she be able to hold to her convictions? Features large illustratio
Victoria
Apr 17, 2012 added it
Shelves: text-set
This book is about a young Muslim girl, Leena, who plans to fast during the month of Ramadan. She is invited to a friend's birthday party that happens to fall on the first day of Ramadan. Leena decides to go to her friend Julia's party and not eat or drink anything. However, Leena becomes frustrated while at the party, questioning to herself why this had to be so hard for her. Readers are exposed to many different traditions of Muslim culture, such as Ramadan, the hijab Leena wore, and the Maghr ...more
Betsy
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this fictional narrative, Leena, who is about to fast for Ramadan for the very first time, is invited to a friend's birthday party. She chooses to go anyway and just not eat anything. She learns it is hard to fast when everyone else is eating. In the end though, fasting has made her more grateful for the things she gets at the end of the day.

As a teacher I would use this book to teach descriptive language (ex. "Leena put a spoonful of pudding into her mouth and savored its thick chocolate fla
Sparrows at Home
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion-islam
My daughter and I both enjoyed this story about a young girl, Leena, being torn between fasting during Ramadan and attending a non-Muslim friend's birthday party. While her mother did allow her to attend the party, it was clearly a difficult sacrifice to not be able to fully participate. As a mother, I especially loved the end of the story where after Leena's fast was broken and she had her dinner, her friend that had the birthday party came over with her mother and brought birthday cake to shar ...more
Janet Luch
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although Leena is too young to fast during Ramadan, she is eager to fast on day when her aunt will be visiting. Unfortunately, this day is also the day of one of her friend's birthday party. Leena is successful in fasting, although it is difficult. Her friends learn a little about why Muslim's fast and two of her non-Muslim friends and their families come to her home in the evening to celebrate the iftar dinner after sundown.
The Author's Note at the end of the book explains why Muslims celebrat
Elizabeth
I liked that this story was about Ramadan without just being an explanation of what Ramadan is -- the protagonist, Leena, is a Muslim girl in the USA who is young enough to be practice-fasting and gets invited to a non-Muslim friend's birthday party for the day she would be fasting, and the story goes through her and her mother's decision-making process around how to handle that, her experience of the party itself, and the iftar (breaking the fast) that followed.

The story was engaging and realis
Cara Stone
Leena is excited to observe Ramadan traditions...but she also wants to celebrate her friend’s birthday. Though fasting all day is difficult, Leena shows self control as her friends have cake and drink lemonade. At the end of the day she returns home for iftar, the meal to break the day’s fast, and thinks about the importance of fasting and how it is done to please God. Pastel pencil drawings complement the story's tone very well. Expressive characters' faces. Recommended.
Kristen
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Party in Ramadan tells the story about a Muslim girl named Leena. Leena has a dilemma between a fast religious festival and attending a party with all her friends where none are Muslim and area able to enjoy the food festivities. Leena struggles with her desire to enjoy the food and to continue fasting until the iftar feast later in the evening. Self control is explored with struggles of desire through out the story.
Maritza Mejia
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Party in Ramadan (2009) by Asma Mobin-Uddin and lovely illustration by Laura Jacobsen. I have seen this dilemma in classroom yearly and I'm impress of the determination Muslim children have to fast during the holy days of Ramadan. In the story, Leena faces a dilemma: she has promised to fast for the first Friday of Ramadan but she has received an invitation to a classmate's birthday party. What do you think she is going to do?
Mia Bell
When I saw this book as a choice I was so excited. I completely loved this book. I went to Africa for a volunteer trip this summer and I happened to go in the middle of Ramadan. I was able to relate to this book very well as I fast for a day to emerge myself fully into their culture. This book shows the meaning behind a culture that some people may not fully understand. The pictures and the story line was awesome.
A Party in Ramadan tells the story of a young Muslim girl named Leena. As the day of her friend’s birthday party approaches, she realizes that she will be fasting for Ramadan. Leena learns many powerful lessons as she does her best to enjoy the party while abstaining from cake, lemonade, and even water.
Nadia
Dec 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I could relate to this book really well in remembering the days at school when we had a party and I was fasting! The story highlights well the struggles and satisfaction in keeping a fast in the Muslim tradition.
Shannon
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book really seemed to resonate with my 6 year, and help her understand fasting a lot better.
Aubrey
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute story with wonderful illustrations about a girl participating in Ramadan with her family. Positive themes of cultural diversity and celebration.
Mckinley
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: islam, heroine, picture
Shows a difficult side of fasting through the eyes of a young girl.
Cheri
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really thought this book did a great job at explaining Ramadan to children and I like the Author's Note at the end that explains when women were a hijab.
Anneke Forzani
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Leena is invited to a birthday party, but it is a fast day for Ramadan. The story follows Leena through her day as she goes to the party and still is able to keep her fast. The lovely illustrations are warmly drawn.
Josianne Fitzgerald
Oct 18, 2012
Lupine
Apr 20, 2009
Sumayyakassim
rated it did not like it
May 04, 2020
Allie
Nov 28, 2015
Janet
Oct 25, 2019
Anurasika
Aug 29, 2009

• Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Look to the Stars
  • Saltypie: A Choctaw Journey from Darkness into Light
  • Don't Bug the Insects: Fascinating Facts about Nature's Most Misunderstood Creatures
  • May I Come In?
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • Butterfly House
  • Trees
  • Max's Dragon
  • Seabird in the Forest: The Mystery of the Marbled Murrelet
  • Sharks: Biggest! Littlest!
  • چگونه برای بچه‌ها داستان بنویسیم