Start by marking “Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature” as Want to Read:

Read eBook

Revered as a symbol of fertility, sexuality, purity and childhood, beloved as a children's pet and widely represented in the myths, art and collectibles of almost every culture, the rabbit is one of the most popular animals known to humans. Ironically, it has also been one of the most misunderstood and abused. Indeed, the rabbit is the only animal that our culture adores a ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Lantern Books (first published July 31st 2003)

Kara Fraser
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
An extremely interesting read for those that find rabbits (or even animals' general place in society) fascinating. I wish I could give it 4 stars but at different points throughout the book (especially in the chapters dealing with rabbits' portrayals throughout history) it began to read like an uninspired college paper, full of boring lists of source material and quotes or repetitive points that don't end up amounting to much of a point - at least not an insightful one. The sections on the morph ...more
Katey
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fellow bunny huggers
I didn't quite know what to expect from this book, being that I bought it several years ago and have since forgotten why I specifically wanted to read it, and after living for over a year with two not-so-well-cleaned-up-after rabbits and two hopelessly messy humans (i.e. the smell from too infrequently cleaned litter boxes and the excess of fur from never vacuuming), I think I love the idea of rabbits more than the actual creature. I mean, of course I love them in the sense I would care for one ...more
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
This book is a phenomenal resource for rabbit lovers. I've shared my home with house rabbits for over a decade now, so I was excited to learn new things about rabbits in the course of reading this book. I loved the comprehensive information on the natural and cultural history of rabbits. And it's not just for rabbit lovers - as a biologist, I found it fascinating. Anyone who is interested in the natural and cultural history of animals in general should read this book.

As a house rabbit owner, th
Binksy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. Its so well written, organized and well researched. This is THE BOOK on rabbits in the market. It is so comprehensive and covers so many interesting subjects and topics on rabbits.
I've been looking to learn more about rabbits, and was very excited to get my hands on this book. I was very happy to find out that the authors took a very fact-based route with no predetermined assumptions about rabbits. The authors do not seem to have a hidden agenda throughout the book, the
Chels Patterson
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and what is even funnier is my Father of 65 years also really enjoyed this book.

I was disappointed with the meat section, and as I have rabbit as pets. I decided to skip that part because it made me uncomfortable. This 4 stars.

Other than that it’s a good read with interesting history and personal stories about rabbits.
Jes
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is everything I wanted to read about rabbits and more. Everyone who knows me, knows I'm OBSESSED with rabbits. Of course, I have four and they are house rabbits. I've read the House Rabbit book cover to cover and my house is also full of rabbit memorabilia. So yeah, I'm giving this book 5 stars. This was such an in depth look at rabbits in our culture and I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know about the history of rabbits in research, how little is actually known about them. (I kn ...more
Elizabeth A.
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rabbits
Incredible book. Rabbits are indeed misunderstood. I found some passages hard to read as i am very emotional when it comes to the welfare of rabbits and of animals in general. But its the heartbreaking truth and well written.
Kevin Krein
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
i bought this book three years ago in an online auction for the minnesota companion rabbit society. after getting it, and skimming through it, i realized that parts of it were going to be a tough read. so there it sat, on my nightstand, in my "to read" pile, since 2012. recently, when i was moving the book out of the way of our house rabbit who enjoys nibbling on book corners, my wife said, "ayo, when are you going to read that book?"

so i guess the time was now. and while it is very well researc
Tara
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in history, animals, veganism, animal rights, pop culture
Recommended to Tara by: Sarah Rogers
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
Great cultural history of the rabbit in all of the ways we know the animal- as a wild animal, in pop culture, as a pet, and exploited for meat, fur, & animal testing. I flew through the first 2/3 of the book and loved going through all of the history of rabbits in pop culture. It was hard to get through the last 3rd about the exploitation of rabbits, so sad, frustrating, and angering. But definitely some really important information that only gets a short mention in other books I've read on ...more
Jo
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a bunny owner, the stories in this book were charming. Of course, the chapters on raising bunnies for meat, pelts and research were equally disturbing. I kinda skimmed over the chapters on icons of rabbits in media as I really just wanted rabbit behavior. The conclusion that talks about bunny mills and how abusive the breeding and selling systems are made me want to go out and adopt every bunny I could. It is very sad that our society doesn't recognize the value of these amazing creatures.
Meredith
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers
Recommended to Meredith by: My Sister
I loved all the history and Interesting facts about the misunderstood creature the rabbit.
if you love animal history this is the book for you!
or if you love Rabbits!
Which easy to say I do.
If you are looking for a book with rabbits or you are looking for a book with animals in it,
THIS IS ONE OF THE MANY BOOKS FOR YOU!
Kyle
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Not exactly a handbook for the care of rabbits. Yet not exactly a study of them either. This book is written by two academic types who are heads of rabbit organizations and definitely lean towards strongly advocating rabbits as house/companion animals. It is an enjoyable read with a combined history of the species, guide to behavior, and place in society and culture.
Erica
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, I imagine this book is more enjoyable when you had/have/plan to adopt a pet rabbit(s). However, I think this book can be appreciated by all animal lovers and cultural anthropologists alike as it explores the historical role of rabbits. There is an impressive lack of literature about rabbits and this book fills that gap well.
Brianna
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic look at rabbits as house pets, rabbits and their contradicting labels in culture through time (witchcraft, sex symbols, cute fluffy babies), and rabbits and their treatment in the meat, fur, and cosmetics industry. Worth a read for anyone remotely interested in rabbits, or pets in general.
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book if you want to know about rabbits or just love them like I do. Lots of historical information about how rabbits came to be a popular pet today and unfortunately other issues such as the meat and fur trade.
Sünje Schwarz
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very comprehensive look at the role(s) rabbits play in our society. No other animal is used for so many different purposes. The book is at times difficult to read, especially if you have a house rabbit or love animals. Nevertheless, I wish everyone would read it.
Erin
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Made me want to get a pet rabbit.
Ljubica
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology
I learned a ton about rabbits that I had no clue about before. Excellent reference/story book!
rabbitprincess
Mar 22, 2010 marked it as to-read
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: Ravelry
Found about this through a bunny group on Ravelry.
Saturday's Child
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
An informative, enjoyable read for anyone who loves rabbits or animals in general. The chapters in Part Three are not easy to read but should be read.
LeAnne Franke
I enjoyed this book! There aren't too many good books out there for us bunny-lovers; and I think it's a good read for those new to bunnies (and their many charms) too!!
Jessica
Jan 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit
  • Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World's Most Revered and Reviled Bird
  • Aphro-ism: Essays on Pop Culture, Feminism, and Black Veganism from Two Sisters
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust