Start by marking “Clifford's Good Deeds” as Want to Read:
Clifford's Good Deeds

Clifford's Good Deeds

(Clifford the Big Red Dog)

Clifford tries hard to perform some good deeds--but for the Big Red Dog, some things are more difficult than they seem.
Published March 1st 1985 by Cartwheel (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's Good Deeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's Good Deeds

Barbara
Emily Elizabeth and her faithful big red dog, Clifford, decide to help her friend Tim, a boy scout, do good deeds for those around them. But because he is such an enormous dog, everything Clifford does ends up going wrong. But Clifford uses his size to his advantage when he puts out a house fire and rescues two children. Naturally, he deserves the citation he receives. Who wouldn't love a dog like this or relate to his heroism? It's pretty amazing that these books have been around since the 1970 ...more
Scott Middleton
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2nd-grade-2016
Dear Readers Around the World,

Do you like funny books? Then you can read “Cifford’s Good Deeds.” At the beginning he rakes the leaves for Nanne but sneezes and the leaves flew off. Then he tries to do many good deeds.

The author’s message is you can do lots of good things and you will feel well. I would give the book 5 stars because everyone can be a HERO.

Ian
Courtney
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I love reading novels to my children, especially when they are ones that promote more reading to my kids, because they relate to something that they already know and enjoy- like a popular kid's TV show. However, I have found that the older my son gets, the more he's beginning to realize when they just don't make since.

The ending in each of these Clifford stories were abrupt and sudden, and some of the things that Emily E. and Clifford were doing just didn't make since (like playing with bear cu
Maudie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Grade:1-3
This book is a great read it has real meaning to what it means to try and never give up no matter if you fail or succeed. I love how Clifford did not give up helping people even though every time he helped it went wrong until he found a good deed that only he could help with at that moment. Loved his spirit and how he enjoyed helping others that is something all students should learn.
Amanda Hughes
As a child, I loved reading about Clifford. At age 19..I discovered that I still do! This story has a great lesson about helping others and doing the right thing, even when nobody is watching. Children will love this short, funny story about Clifford and his adventure.
Ann Santori
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the original, two-color artwork and the story is sweet and silly, just like any good Clifford book.
Kate Sanders
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it shows that no matter what size you are, you can help those in need. Children would find this book funny because of Clifford's size and how things keep going wrong for him.
Pree Bee
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an important book for Kaya because she learned about doing good things, but sometimes the good deed does not work out.
Jovan Trujillo
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad Clifford isn't perfect, and this book shows that despite that he's still a great character.
Alyssa Ricard
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, adventure
Poor Clifford tries to do a few good deeds and because he's Big Clifford, they don't quite work out that well. An old favorite. I will always adore the Clifford stories and illustrations.
Donna Mork
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clifford tries to do good deeds, but messes up a lot of them because he's so big. Finally, he finds a good deed that really helps and gets an award.
SaraKat
I love Clifford. In this installment, he tries his best to do good deeds, but he keeps messing it up somehow. This book was on my school's pillars of character reading list for 'citizenship'.
Pamela Powell
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clifford is trying to be helpful, but some of his good deeds cause more problems. A good book for reinforcing trying to be helpful but also persevering for the younger set.
Mira P
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In "Clifford's Good Deeds", Clifford goes around the neighborhood with Emily and her friend on his back. And they help everybody who needs help. It made me feel happy.
Brenda Kahn
This re-issued classic is indeed vintage as the pages look yellowed. Pleasant and humorous tale of the big red dog's attempts at doing good deeds.
Chris Schaben
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this one pretty funny! Poor Clifford tries helping people, but he ends up only making matters worse to hilarious results.
Nadia Gonzalez
Summary: Clifford's Good Deeds by Norman Bridwell is a book about a big kind hearted red dog named Clifford and his friend Emily Elizabeth. One day a boy who lived across the street from Emilly and Clifford decided that if he had the help of Clifford he could many people. Clifford, Emily Elizabeth and Tim try to accomplish good deeds, and end up only creating trouble. For example, in one case they wanted to help a man who was raking leaves. They helped the man rake the leaves and put them in his ...more
Sara Baker
Summary
This book is about a big, red dog named Clifford and his friend Emily Elizabeth. Their friend Tim needs help doing good deeds. The gang goes around the town trying to help people. The only problem is that all the deeds they do, do not always turn out the way they hoped. At the end of the book, Clifford saves the day! This electronic book is a great way for children to interact with the pictures! Each page has a different activity for the children to do.

Responses
I gave this book five sta
Courtney
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Clifford is the friendliest and nicest red dog you will ever meet. In this book Clifford sets out to do some good deeds with his friends Emily Elizabeth and Tim. They encounter different situations that look promising for Clifford to help out, but Clifford only ends up making a mess. Although he has good intentions and wants to help due to his large size and force, his actions make things worse sometimes. Clifford begins to feel down until another opportunity for him to do a good deed arises. He ...more
Melanie Bates
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Clifford’s Good Deed

Summary: This story includes Clifford the famous big red dog and of course his friend Emily Elizabeth. Throughout the story Clifford and his friends go about trying to do “good deeds” although they always had high hopes and good intensions their good deeds didn’t always go as planned. The illustrations in this book show many of the deeds Clifford and his friends were trying to complete.

Response: I gave this book five stars because I thought the meaning was cute. It allows stu
Crystal Lough
Clifford's Good Deeds is a picture book. This book is targeted to children in primary grades. The book is about Clifford doing good deeds for other people but messing everything up. It's funny because he's always trying to do the right thing but ends up causing more trouble than anything. I rated this book a 5 because I truly enjoy Clifford books. I feel as though the stories are always interesting, funny, and applicable. They normally have a moral to put across to the children. The pictures are ...more
Ally Copper
Clifford the Big Red Dog has been a part of children's literature since 1963, and 75 books later, he is still a favorite among young readers, especially pre-k through third-graders. He is an immediately recognizable friend on library and bookstore shelves that children are drawn to. The 1985 picture book "Clifford's Good Deeds" by Norman Bridwell features familiar characters, Clifford, Emily, and Tim going around town looking for good deeds to do. Clifford has good intentions but ends up causing ...more
Brittany Hodges
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love all of the Clifford books. Clifford is a great dog and I wish he was my dog! I think this is a great "dogs" children's book, because while some of the things Clifford does as a dog, they don't seem too far fetched because Clifford is so big and the writers word choices he uses to describe Clifford are relatable to dogs, even though Clifford is doing human activities. Once again with the use of character, the writer does a great describing Clifford and making his character as a superhero d ...more
Julie Barrett
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clifford Good Deeds by Norman Bridwell
Audio version so I am not seeing the colorful pictures.
Emily has a dog Clifford. Her friend Timothy try to do a good deed every day.
They help others by piling leaves but it makes Clifford sneeze and they spread all over the place.
They try to help another neighbor and a similar problem comes up....deed after deed.
Will they ever find something Clifford can help with to do a good deed.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio
Joannah Keats
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sbf-books, own
Referring to the Storia eBook version - while my son loves this book read to him by the app, I despise this book. The theme is basically "no good deed goes unpunished" until the very end, as Clifford helps person after ungrateful person who treat Clifford as the sum of his mistakes instead of his good intentions and kind heart. The only "reward" he gets is a medal - I'd rather teach my child intrinsic motivation, altruism, and gratitude, but this story seems to undermine these concepts. Maybe I' ...more
Jennie Park
Feb 14, 2011 added it
Shelves: fiction
In this story, Clifford and his friends try to help others in need but end up causing more trouble that they started out with. Clifford's big size held him back from helping out the people he really wanted to and eventually people tell him to not help them anymore. Clifford and his friends are sad because they had good intentions but ended up not helping their neighbors; however, there was one incident where there is a huge fire and Clifford helps two children get out safely that were trapped in ...more
Caitlin Mauragas
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Again, this is a great book for teaching "being a good citizen". It is important for the students to know what is expected out of them as a member of this country. That in order to make a system work, everyone needs to pitch in. Now, this explanation would be brought down to their level of course. But, I think that it is extremely important for children are taught from the beginning to be a nice person.
Michelle
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this story, Clifford is trying to help the people around him by doing good deeds, but it doesn't work out so well. This book could be used in preschool class as a funny read aloud. It can show students that they can help by ding different things. If you can't figure out how you can help at first, keep trying.
Kaitlyn Lawrence
Clifford tried to be a good person by helping others out but every time something went wrong. In the end Clifford saved the day and received an award. This book is something children would like because of the knowledge of who Clifford is. It teaches a lesson about doing the right thing and helping others out.
Kristina Arnold
I liked this book because it is a good book to read when you are trying to teach your children to do the right thing. Sometimes things will go wrong when you are trying to help but that is okay as long as you keep trying.

• The Berenstain Bears Meet Santa Bear
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Happy Easter, Little Critter (A Golden Look-Look Book)
  • Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory
  • Disney's Winnie the Pooh
  • The Truck Book
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
  • A Treasury of Dick and Jane and Friends (Dick and Jane)
  • Froggy Eats Out
  • Franklin Plays The Game
  • The Little Duck
  • Dogs Don't Wear Sneakers
Norman Bridwell was an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He lived on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he wrote an average of two books a year.

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 71 books)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy