Start by marking “Hot Tamara” as Want to Read:
Hot Tamara

Hot Tamara

Tamara Contreras will never again settle for unmemorable sex. Her long-time boyfriend may look perfect to her traditional Mexican-American parents -- something Tamara has never been -- but at twenty-six she wants more from life than marriage and motherhood. So in front of everyone, Tamara does the unthinkable: She turns down her boyfriend's unexpected marriage proposal and ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Tamara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Tamara

Start your review of Hot Tamara
Mary
Aug 03, 2007 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm the author of this book and I hope that you (did/will) enjoy it! Isa's story (Tamara's best friend) continues in In Between Men.

Thanks,
Mary
Gerry
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
What Would Wonder Woman Do?
I loved the cover and picked up the book figuring with a cover like that it had to be a fun and lively read.

It is.

The Cast:

Tamara Contreras has had every major decision in her life made for her by her mother Susan and her long time boyfriend Ruben. At the age of 26 she finally found her inner Wonder Woman and struck out on her own.

Better late than never.

She not only has courage, but resilience, tolerance, budgeting skills, humour and empathy. There is so much more to
Elizabeth
From the outside it looks like Tamara has the perfect life: loving parents, perfect boyfriend, and a teaching job, but in reality Tamara is miserable. She feels like her parents are dictating her life, she doesn’t love her boyfriend anymore, and she hates her job. She surprises everyone by moving to L.A. and working in an art gallery in an attempt to get into a master’s program in museum studies, and hoping to open her own art gallery someday. While there she runs into Will, a high school ...more
Livin' la  Vida Latina
Reviewed by: Bela

Review: FAIR WARNING: Right away in chapter one, you get hit with this confusing Spanish--"La va a pesar" and "No le veo la punta." What does that mean? Has the author even heard Spanish?

The story then begins with a public proposal to Tamara, who has been living under the control and constant scrutiny of her overbearing mother. C'mon, how can anyone say "no" to a proposal with everyone watching and expecting you to say "yes?" I would've ran away from the scene too. I would've
Skyqi
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Tamara is twenty-six years old. She still lives at home with her parents and desperately wants to move out on her own and get a graduate degree in art history. Her domineering mother wants her to get married to her boyfriend, Ruben, and become a teacher. At a family wedding, Tamara publicly rejects an unexpected proposal from Ruben. She decides to take a year off and follow her dreams by getting a job in an art gallery and her own apartment.

These decisions infuriate her mother who refuses to
Jill Sorenson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the characters and the writing but I'm not a big fan of chick lit. I wanted more time with the couple, less with Tamara's parents. I didn't understand why Will picked Kristen over Tamara at one point. It seemed more like a delaying tactic than a natural part of the story. I also wanted to see him appreciate the qualities Ruben didn't--Tamara's haircut, sexy outfits etc.

Many Spanish errors but good job with the "New Mexican" culture. 3.5
Yoli
Aug 15, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a really quick read. It wasn't the best book I've ever read but it was short and to the point. I think that its good it moved swiftly otherwise the reader would get bored. I can't honestly say if I would or would not read more of her books based on this one. But I will attempt another title.
Milly
Jul 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: milsthrillers
Tamara shocks her family when she breaks up with her boyfriend, Ruben, and announces that she's moving to Los Angeles to work at an art gallery. These decisions cause a lot of bad blood between Tamara and her mother Susan.

This is a great book!!
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Way to go Maria! I am now a really big fan of hers'.....I luv how she mixes the spanglish in & how real the characters are. It shows alot of the latin culture, good & bad!
Tamara
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Oh, romance, how I hate you so.

Only read this because so few books feature characters with my name.
Bad idea.
Brenda
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksread
Excellent, excellent read! I couldn't put it down! I thlnk I finished the book in 2 days! LOL I love Tamara! She's who I want to be...period! Mary, honey, you hit this one out the ball park!
Rosanne
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
not sure if many others would enjoy this as much as i did.
as i found there were so many parallels between my life and tamara.
Sel O Moreno
Nov 29, 2015
Kelly
Sep 08, 2008
Mel
rated it did not like it
Jul 14, 2017
Jan 02, 2009
Adriana
Aug 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mary Castillo's novels have turned romance and mystery readers into dedicated fans. She is the author of The Dori O. Paranormal Mysteries starting with Lost in the Light and Girl in the Mist. Her romantic comedies include Switchcraft, In Between Men and Hot Tamara and novellas featured in the anthologies, Orange County Noir, Names I Call My Sister and Friday Night Chicas.