Start by marking “Yukikaze (Yukikaze, #1)” as Want to Read:
Yukikaze (Yukikaze, #1)

Yukikaze (Yukikaze #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews

A military scifi classic, by one of the modern masters of world science fiction. Reads L to R (Western Style).

More than thirty years ago, a hyper-dimensional passageway suddenly appeared over the continent of Antarctica. Fighters from the mysterious alien force known as the JAM poured through
Published January 19th 2010 by Haikasoru (first published November 4th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Yukikaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yukikaze

Liam
Apr 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Sigh. Okay I did not like Yukikaze. I've been meaning to watch the anime for a while but never get around to it (so much anime so little time!), I'm definitely interested to watch it now after reading to see if it is any better.

I probably skim-read 60% of this book. It entirely failed to interest me, it was poorly written, and it was predictable. I'm sure the translation from Japanese to English is to blame for some of this, but the book itself at its core is flawed and boring.

It touts itself as
Mark
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really great book on the themes of human vs inhuman, human vs machine/computer, and what makes a human human. Is it empathy and emotions? Or is it reasoning and logic? The capacity for these four things is what separates us from animals, but why is it that we, as humans, people, or society, often consider those who primarily rely on reasoning and logic over empathy and emotions as being "inhuman", or behaving "cold" or "machine-like"?

The author explores these ideas through through the protagonis
Rhoddi
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some classic Japanese military sci-fi is exactly what the doctor ordered! Took me a couple stories to get into Yukikaze, but I'm glad I did with its awesome jet plane action and deeper philosophical meanings.
Staticblaq
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Ian Reay
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll imagine that, like me, many of the people that buy this book, have done so because of the excellent Anime series that came out a few years ago. Like any TV show/anime/film that's born from novels, the book contains more detail, particularly in the characters background. Being an aviation enthusiast (or Plane Spotter!!), many of the technical details astonish me, especially when you consider this book was first published over in Japan in 1984. The author does state that he touched up one or ...more
Iguanaditty
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Sparse but well written, I enjoyed this book and look forward to tracking down the sequel. Very focused on one man and his airplane and the missions they run. Reads a little bit like it was multiple stories thrown together without too much editing; tends to repeat basic precepts at the beginning of each section, which are fortunately easy to skim.
Ralyn Longs
Quite interesting, at times almost philosophical, with a very good plot-line and pacing. Unfortunately the writing doesn't always live up to the story, with detail focused on the wrong elements.
Noah
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Interesting aviation technical details, but overall the character interactions and motivations did not resonate with me.
D.M. Dutcher
Much better than I expected it to be, and an interesting look at how damaged humans meld with their fighting machines in order to survive a war in another world.

Rei is a pilot on the planet Faery, which is connected to Earth via an interstellar tube originating in Antarctica. On this planet, the Faery Air Force fight a war with aliens called the JAM to prevent them from breaching the tunnel and attacking Earth directly. Rei is a reconnaissance pilot who flies Yukikaze, a massive Supersylph plane
Artur Coelho
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
É preciso uma boa dose de fetiche aeronáutico para se chegar ao fim deste livro. Yukikaze é uma obra de ficção científica militarista sobre uma aeronave futurista. Num futuro próximo, a humanidade e as forças de uma incógnita espécie alienígena apelidada de jam degladiam-se num planeta acessível por um buraco de verme que surgiu misteriosamente na antártida. No planeta hostil à vida humana, as forças terrestres combatem utilizando uma força aérea de equipamentos avançados pilotados por inadaptad ...more
  • Usurper of the Sun
  • Slum Online
  • Ten Billion Days and One Hundred Billion Nights
  • Self-Reference ENGINE
  • Ico: Castle in the Mist
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • The Future is Japanese: Science Fiction Futures and Brand New Fantasies from and about Japan.
  • FAUST 1
  • ZOO
  • Red Girls: The Legend of the Akakuchibas
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • A Wind Named Amnesia / Invader Summer

Yukikaze (3 books)
  • Good Luck, Yukikaze (Yukikaze, #2)
  • アンブロークンアロー 戦闘妖精・雪風