Start by marking “Crimson Shell” as Want to Read:
Crimson Shell

Crimson Shell

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  377 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
If you like Pandora Hearts, then you'll love Crimson-Shell, Jun Mochizuki-sensei's debut! Rescued from the darkness by Xeno, a mysterious swordsman, Claudia the Rose Witch is the foundation of the Crimson-Shell, a special division of the Red Rose-an organization aiming to capture the results of one mad scientist's experiments, the deadly Black Roses. But when Xeno's loyalt ...more
Published November 17th 2009 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Crimson Shell, please sign up.
Nga Linh It is far from as good as Pandora Hearts but it is worth reading.

Karen
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, manga
3.5
Kate
Crimson Shell is a one volume manga by Pandora Hearts creator, Jun Mochizuki. Because Pandora Hearts is one of my favorite manga series, I was curious to read Mochizuki's earlier work in Crimson Shell.

There are a lot of similarities between the two stories. The first similarity is the design of the characters - that girl could easily be Alice on the cover. Not surprisingly, the art style is the same. What is surprising is that for a first manga publication (which this is, from what I've been abl
Selena
This was pretty good. I wish it were a series, because I think there's a lot to expand upon.

The only complaint I really have is how rushed it is. Little is explained, and what is explained has such a sloppy explanation (probably do to page constraints) that it's hard to understand. It's like Mochizuki-sensei tried to cram a three or four book series into one book.

I would've liked to see more, since there's a lot of promise for this.
Jack Baillot
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am now even more worried about Noe and Vanatas.
K.S.
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
An exquisitely dark steampunk fantasy drawn in the romantic shoujo ai style of Jun Mochizuki, which evokes dolls, toys, fairytales, and magic.

The theme and plot grows from the concept of roses being people with special powers. Many of these people are in the Crimsell Shell Organization which supports and controls Claudia, its Rose Witch. Outside the organization are the Black Roses, who hunt her.

Not all of her enemies are outside. Someone within Crimson Shell is a traitor. Someone is out to get
Julieanne
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Crimson Shell is the debut manga for the talented Jun Mochizuki. It demonstrates just how good she is at plot twists that you don't actually expect to be coming.

I enjoyed every moment of this single volume series but wish that it was longer. My favorite character ended up Wilhelm, a sort of bodyguard character with very questionable personality resemblance to two later characters for Pandora Hearts, Vincent Nightray/Baskerville and Xerxes Break/Kevin Regnard.

Mochizuki knows how to pull the reade
Fairytaillover22
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, library
Jun Mochizuki's never fails to impress, even with her debut manga volume. I love both Pandora Hearts and The Case Study of Vanitas, so it came as no surprise that this would be great. The plot was full of unexpected twists and turns and an interesting magic system. My only qualm is its length. The world and characters weren't fleshed out enough for it to be a 5 star read. The ending was pretty open-ended, but in a good way. It keeps you guessing what could possibly happen next in this world with ...more
Lottie Eve
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rescued from the darkness by Xeno, a mysterious swordsman, Claudia the Rose Witch is the foundation of the Crimson-Shell, a special division of the Red Rose-an organization aiming to capture the results of one mad scientist's experiments, the deadly Black Roses. But when Xeno's loyalties are called into question, will Claudia be strong enough to believe in her dearest friend? And what is the color of the rose blooming in Xeno's heart-a deep, passionate crimson...or a traitorous jet-black?

This wa
Mike
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read and enjoyed the first two volumes of Pandora Hearts by the same mangaka. While waiting to get further into that extensive series I decided to try out her appealing looking single volume complete story.

Crimson Shell centers on Claudia the Rose Witch and the mysterious and deadly Black Roses who wage war on her Red Rose organization searching for something they possess. Red Rose could be in trouble, because there seems to be a traitor about...

This is a pleasantly ambitious story for a si
LAnn
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
At first glance, I really liked the art for Crimson Shell, so I couldn't help but buy it. Although it took me a while to finally sit down and read the manga, I rather enjoyed it when I did. That's not to say that Crimson Shell was perfect, but it was certainly entertaining.

Art aside, the characters for Crimson Shell were really well put together. Each character had their own distinct personality and interacted with each other fairly well. Names and relationships were fairly easy to remember thro
Sarah Hayes
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
I liked this premiere work from Jun Mochizuki, manga-ka behind one of my favorite series, Pandora Hearts, but several factors kept me from enjoying it more. The worldbuilding seems sparse and rushed in places; I never got a real feel for where this takes place or why certain background events happened. We are told things about why factions of 'roses' exist but we only get a shallow examination of their world. A lot of characters are introduced in a brief span of time, and only a few of them are ...more
Corley
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I became interested in this after discovering Pandora Hearts; the art was as lovely as what I had read of Mochizuki's long-running series, and from the scans I had viewed, it seemed quite interesting. And while no one-shot manga volume is going to be perfect due to time constraints, I was impressed by this one. Mochizuki's art style is one of my favorites: it's so elegant and free flowing while still managing to sometimes be creepy, a fact I appreciate. This title is an easy read, flowing at a b ...more
Jordan
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Well... Pandora Hearts, Jun Mochizuki's other work, is definitely better.

At the same time as feeling that Crimson Shell wasn't long enough to get a lot out of, I also felt that it couldn't be interesting if it were any longer. The plot was a little empty and rushed. Parts of the end were jipped of tragedy just because there wasn't enough beforehand to create the reader's care.
The story was STILL really cute, and involving where it mattered (With Claudia and Xeno). And it was really, really sweet
Nga Linh
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
I come here because I heard that there are some characters in this story who are simillar to Pandora Hearts'. However, this story falls short of my expectation. The suspense was not built up at all, it jumped from nowhere so it felt rather rushed. The characters are constantly running into actions so they are not as well-developed.

In Pandora Hearts, the characters may be cliche, they may fit into stereotypes but they still have these sparks which light up their whole personality. Crimson Shell's
Grace Zhen
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
i don't really like this book, it's suppose to be sad but i don't think it is. This book's story line went way too fast. truth behind all the secrets were reviewed one after another after every 5 pages. It wasn't exciting because the secrets in this book like the main character's background didn't sink in yet for me to really enjoy the truth. The book went by so fast that i didn't even understand half the story. i don't really recommend this book unless you like story that have fast romance in t ...more
Narika
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I remember I once saw this manga in a magazine and was really captivated by the art, so once I found out where to buy it, I did so immediately and I wasn't disappointed that I did. The story, the characters, the setting, the art was really good. If this was my work I would have developed the story more, but nevertheless this one shot turned out to be great and interesting, and I loved reading it till the end. If you like romance, suspense and fighting you will definitely like this manga! :)
Em
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, read-in-2010
I really liked this. I was confused at first, at lot happens rather quickly and I had to go back and re-read things a few times to keep up but once I got into it I didn't put it down until I was done with the story. Then I was sad to see it was done. It's a one shot, which doesn't feel right to me. The story seems to have just begun. I understand why it is, but I feel like there should be more. Overall I really enjoyed it though.
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It has a different feeling than Pandora Hearts.
The art is just as good.
Just like Pandora Hearts, it goes from this wonderful, peaceful lifestyle to a close-to-horror one. Their worlds are twisted.
I haven't got to the ending yet. But it's a short story. Only one volume, and definitely a good read!
Miss
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I say that it was a wow kind of manga. I liked it but once you think you know the characters they all become the exact opposite. That is all I can say. I give this manga a 4.5 because it is not the kind of genre I like, but mostly because it didn't have a very great ending as I would have liked.
Dennis Yang
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, though if only it wasnt this short, I honestly wish this would have continued for at least 4 volumes or more, though the ending does leave a glimpse of hope, which is fading every day for me... =/
Amethyst
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it I guess, it started out great, but then it just ended far too soon...it ended with so many cliffhangers, but from what I've heard there aren't anymore books in the series so I don't know I just needed more...I really don't like bad endings, they make me sad...:(
Chiara
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love how this showcased how much Mochizuki has grown as a storyteller and an artist!
Lea
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, manga-series
A very good short story that wraps up nicely in one volume with a mostly-satisfactory open ending.
jen (hallowWanderer)
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review at: EbonyInkReviews
Alyse
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
It reminded me a lot of King of Thorn, at least with the roses but the storyline and art reminded me more of Vampire Knight. Only in one volume, unfortunately but makes for a quick read.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
That was interesting. Love that art style.
Monica
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like Pandora Hearts
Wow, this manga was great! I wonder if the second one will come out anytime soon.
Raghad
Jun 24, 2013
Trula Kellermann
Feb 12, 2013
ƒσαℓєη
Oct 09, 2011
Shounen Manga Boo...: Crimson Shell Discussion 13 6 Mar 07, 2015 04:21AM
  • Olympos (Omnibus)
  • Kobato., Vol. 01 (Kobato., #1)
  • Darker than Black (Darker than Black, #1-2)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 3 (Nabari No Ou, #3)
  • DRRR!! Durarara!! 1 (Durarara!! Manga, #1)
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 1 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #1-2)
  • Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, Volume 1
  • Heaven's Will
  • Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun, Vol. 1: Lost Things
  • Fruits Basket Ultimate Edition, Vol. 2
  • Legend, Vol. 01
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 2 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #2)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 9
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Volume 10 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #10)
  • Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 3
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 1
  • Karneval, Vol. 1 (Karneval, #1)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 7 (D.Gray-man, #7)
Jun Mochizuki (望月淳 Mochizuki Jun) is a Japanese comic artist (manga-ka), best known for the fantasy shounen series Pandora Hearts/パンドラハーツ.

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Player of Games (Culture, #2)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage