Start by marking “Don't Read This Book!” as Want to Read:
Don't Read This Book!

Don't Read This Book!

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The King is about to star in a brand new story but - wait a minute! What's this? The story has disappeared! You'd better go and do something else instead...What? You're still here? Well, then you'll see the King frantically galloping through Storyland to piece together the fragments of his story, with some very unlikely interventions (and help) and some very familiar faces ...more
Published February 2nd 2009 by Egmont Books Ltd (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Read This Book!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Read This Book!

Papia Sultana
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The catchy title of this book instantly makes you want to the book because it warns you NOT to read it and this makes the reader excited and curious and want to discover WHY???!!!! The book is about an ill-tempered King, who wants to write his own story so he hires a story writer to write him a story. The story uses reverse psychology because the king encourages readers to keep turning the pages by telling them not to. The King also directly speaks to the readers commanding them to not read any ...more
Picture the book
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I really love books that play with the convention. Mixing up fairy-tales, seeing the story from a different perspective, pushing well known characters into very unfamiliar and uncomfortable scenarios is something I really fancy. This book had the potential to be a perfect example on how to turn a well know story into a totally new adventure and I feel like the idea and it's potential had not been fully used. The book might be a bit too hard for a kid - children don't really understand the humor ...more
The king breaks the 4th wall to yell at the reader in this fractured fairytale in which the writer tries to piece together the ending of an unknown story with bits of known ones. I really wanted this to be a school visit home-run, but the asides are too frequent and the font is too varied, and I don't think the humor is quite universal enough. This would be great fun to try as a reader's theater adaptation or a writing exercise, though.
Stefanie Burns
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this story, a king and his writer are trying to write a story. The King keeps yelling at the reader to stop reading this book. It switches back and forth between, narrating, having the King talkto the reader, the king and writer talking, and the story the writer is creating. While that seems like a lot it really isn't confusing and ends up being a silly story that is entertaining. Different fairy tale characters pop up throughout the story and kids should like seeing them. I'm trying to enjoy ...more
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by the librarian. I found the story really cute and easy to read aloud to my two littles.
The tale leant itself to silly voices and a smooth reading session as there were breaks for taking a breath of grabbing a drink of water for the person reading aloud.
My two littles also liked the story.
I would check it out again.
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute - a twisted fairy tale!
Anna Baize
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This very original postmodern picture book by Jill Lewis follows the stork of a King, the interruptive narrator, and his story writer as they try to write the story of the princess and the pea. They travel through many other classical fairy tales on their story writing journey, and the whole time the King is commanding the reader to stop reading because their story is not finished. He continually interrupts the story to explain that the reader should not be reading.

The banter in this story make
Sarah W
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This title joins a small flock of books where the story isn't done or gets out of control. Similar themed books include Chester's Masterpiece, The Plot Chickens, and An Undone Fairy Tale. In this volume, the king is determined to keep the reader away from the book because the royal story writer is not done with his work yet. The furious monarch threatens the reader with prison before he and the story writer set out for Beanstalk Crossroads to hunt down the missing story notes.

Different fairy ta
Kristi Bernard
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for kids. Parents and Teachers will have fun discussing the various fairtale characters as they help the story unfold. Readers will be excited to see what happens to the King's story.
The very irritated King doesn't want anyone turning the pages of this book. You see, the story is not quite finished. He chases down his writer only to find that he has lost the pages of the story. As you, the reader tags along on the search for the story, you will be threatened with prison and
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Maybe a two point five. It's not that I hated it. It's kind of cute.

I'm all for breaking the fourth wall and having characters talk to the readers. Hello, We are in a Book!, The Monster at the End of this Book, Chester's Masterpiece ... among others I am looking at you! But you know why I am looking at them?

Because they did it better. :/

Allison Nagel
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
If I were rating this book based on my reading enjoyment: 2 stars.
My 7-year-old son's rating: 4 stars

The pictures are bright and unique. The title jumps off the cover and generates interest.
The content was extremely annoying to me. It is basically a fairytale retold with interruptions and side plot (think "Interrupting Chicken" but poorly executed)

My 7 year old loved the book. He smiled, laughed and responded to the book throughout -- and yelled for me to read it again when we were done. Then h
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Don't read this book. Really. Don't read it. Or the king will throw you in the dungeon. Really. It says so right here. (page marked w/ sticky note.)

Above is book-talk and then I had all the kids yelling, "read it, read it!" It was awesome, unexpected, and the hit of the school visits for this year for sure. I was surprised to see that it didn't have a higher star rating on here--I don't often give 5 stars, but this one definitely deserves it. I loved it, my kids loved it, and all the kids I read
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The story writer has lost his notes and only has half of the title for the book he was going to write. The King tells the reader not to read the book. He and the writer spend the rest of the book feeling that they are being watched by YOU, and reminding you that you are not allowed to read the book, unless you want to end up in the dungeon! Finally the story notes are found and the tale of the Princess and the Pea
Justine Paige
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a book about a King who is waiting for his writer to write a new story. However, the writer has lost the story, so the story is following the characters. However, the king interrupts the story to tell the reader not to read and threatens to through the reader in the dungeons. The characters finally find the story and it happens to be the Princess and the Pea. It may be a cute story to read to students in first or second grade. It makes multiple references to diary tail stories.
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Well, I really wanted to like this one. I love the fractured fairy tale, but this one was just a little too fractured. It is a fun read aloud, but I would recommend this one as a 1-on-1 so that the young child can ask questions. The story line is buried, the King's remarks can be confusing, and the fact that the only fairy tale being written about is The Princess and the Pea when more than that one are alluded to seems incomplete.

Overall, fun but not a fave.
Heather Johnston
Oct 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a fun book that played upon reverse psychology- as intended by the title. It tells the journey of a king who is attempting to write another fairy tale. He ends up gathering all of the parts to compose the tale of the princess and the pea. A non- traditional fairy tale that kids would enjoy.

CO: 2010

Genre- Traditional literature
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in Hamworth Library in Hamworth(Poole) England while on holiday. Our plans for the day fell through and so we saw a library and went into regroup and borrow their internet. I found this book in their cute little children's area and thought it was fun! I really enjoyed it! I am going to make my library buy it! It is silly and cute...I like how it 'talks' to the reader!
I don't really get it...and I love quirky and weird books. In fact, I have a list of "Weird Books" I recommend to kids in grades K-6...but this one never really goes anywhere. It just tries way too hard. I think other authors...David Wiesner, Jon Sciezka, Mo this stuff better. Disappointing.
Great for an older storytime audience. You can really get them participating- trying to guess what the story will be. The read aloud potential is high- reminds me of There is a Monster at the End of this Book.
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I had high expectations for this book. I was a little disappointed. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. I had a completely different story line running in my head, just based from the cover and it went in a different direction than I was expecting.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Amusingly fourth wall breaking at the beginning. But I don't know how good it would be as a bedtime story, which is apparently what it was designed to be. There's a lot of yelling and running around.
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Used as a 3rd grade intro to library. Lots of giggles as I tease the kids about being thrown in the dungeon. I would have liked a little more "oomph" to the ending but it still does a good job getting drawing the kids in.
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
My little boy gobbled that last line up...and I laughed aloud.
Scottsdale Public Library
A priceless 'Princess and the Pea,' despite royal decree.
-Monty K.
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not all that great. I much prefer An Undone Fairy Tale.
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I like meta books, so this was up my alley. My 17 year old saw me reading it and picked it up as well, which always makes me happy.
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
The text is pretty scattered and not very well put together, but there are several funny pages that I think kids would really enjoy. Planning to test it out on my niece this weekend.
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Probably not a great read aloud, but might be an awesome book for talking about the writing process. And for kids? Just a fun book!
Nojood Alsudairi
Apr 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous illustrations. Would children like the text? Probably more than I did.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This book started well but it became too busy and depended too much on prior fairy tale knowledge. More a 2.5 than a 2 star.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Little Red Quacking Hood (Princess Pink and the Land of Fake Believe #2)
  • Rapunzel and the Seven Dwarfs: A Maynard Moose Tale
  • Once Upon a Time, the End (Asleep in 60 Seconds)
  • Send for a Superhero!
  • Super Red Riding Hood
  • Sleepless Knight
  • Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships
  • The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster
  • Moo Who?
  • I Yam a Donkey!
  • New Shoes
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • So You Want to Be a Rock Star
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Mr. Zinger's Hat
  • This Monster Cannot Wait!
  • Dinosaur vs. the Library