Start by marking “Disturb” as Want to Read:
Disturb

Disturb

(Konrath/Kilborn Collective #8)

It's the pharmaceutical breakthrough of the millennium. DruTech Industries proudly presents N-SOM, a pill that completely replaces eight hours of sleep. Feel totally refreshed, both physically and mentally, in just fifteen minutes a night.

The profit potential is boundless. Mankind's productivity will go through the roof. One third of a person's life could be recovered, for
Published April 11th 2009

Erth
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine being able to take a pill and not have to spend eight hours sleeping? It's an intriguing concept and the author clearly has taken chops from the likes of Robin Cook to roll out this sleep-depriving, fast-paced read. The pacing isn't fast, it's frenetic, and there is little time spent getting to know the characters.

Not enough time.

Angel Gelique
Dr. William May, an agent from the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), has been assigned to evaluate a drug called N-Som that eliminates the need for sleep. Supposedly, there are several incredible benefits and no adverse effects.

Yet, it doesn't take Dr. May long to realize that he hasn't been given accurate data. Worse, his life is threatened and he quickly learns that no one can be trusted--not even the police or FBI.

This was an intriguing story that captured my attention from th
Todd Russell
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, medical
Imagine being able to take a pill and not have to spend eight hours sleeping? It's a great idea and the author clearly has taken chops from the likes of Robin Cook to roll out this sleep-depriving, fast-paced read. The pacing isn't fast, it's frenetic, and there is little time spent getting to know the characters. It is intentionally plot-driven, not character-driven, I think to a detriment. I'm the kind of reader who likes to get to know characters a bit before (and after through the eyes of ot ...more
Alex
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun read! I really enjoy the Konrath/Killborn collection.
TJ
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I became aware of author J. A. Konrath through the many freebies that Amazon offers its Kindle readers. After downloading and reading Konrath's "Afraid", I realized had to have more. This book, "Disturb" was my second foray into the author's world and won't be the last. Konrath (aka Jack Kilborn) is an outstanding plotter and builder of suspense. This book has copious amounts of both.

In "Disturb", Konrath creates a Robin Cook-like medical thriller revolving around a drug, N-Som, that makes sleep
Eric_W
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Konrath through his free book give-away on his website. Inspired. Apparently, he dusted off some of his early work that was not published. I liked a couple of his novellas so much I went off and bought the rest of his titles for my Kindle.

Disturb involves a billionaire who has discovered a drug that permits you never to require sleep. Just think of the efficiencies gained by never sleeping. Man, I could really chew through a lot of books. Unfortunately, it has some rather nasty sid
Juli Pennock
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, owned
Not bad. Not the best thing I've ever read, and I didn't like it nearly as much as I did 'Origin' by the same author (which I loved).

But about this one: Eh. It was ok. There were parts that were intriguing, and parts that flowed, but for the most part it wasn't my cuppa. It's pretty obvious at the beginning what's going on and what's going to happen. I think the twists and shocks may have read a lot more, you know, twisty and shocking five years ago, but for me it was pretty predictable. As a li
Natasa
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books, horror
Just like all J.A.Konrath's books, I can't not to like it. It was fun and I listened to the audio book version which was a nice change as so far I've been reading all his work.
The Nate Gatsby
Oct 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Entertaining, but there was little when it came to plot and the writing was average.
Elli (Kindig Blog)
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
A new drug N-Som has been developed that gets eliminates the need for sleep, however the side effects might be more severe than advertised.

Disturb is a medical thriller with a very interesting premise but unfortunately it doesn't deliver. I think the best summary of the book actually comes from the Author himself in his afterward. He explains that Disturb came after a list of rejected novels, and as a result, he decided to write a 'by-the-numbers, straightforward, homogenous thriller' which his
Tere Fredericks
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disturbing is Better

Although this has J.A. Konrath's name to it, it is more a Jack Kilborn book.. Disturbing is more like it.

Much in the way of Robin Cook, this takes real technology and makes it dark. It literally took me only two hours to read. Barely breathing (the irony is intended).

I simply cannot give a more in-depth review than that. As I have mentioned in other reviews, I normally take notes while I'm reading. Makes writing the review much easier. I was not able to do that this time. I
Charles Ray
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The FDA sends Dr. Bill May to fast track approval of a new drug that supposedly eliminates the need to sleep. The problem is, though, N-SOM has some hidden, and extremely dangerous side effects. One of those effects, a psychotic killer, gets May and the daughter of the drug’s inventor in his sights. Can May survive long enough to make the dangers of N-SOM public? You’ll have to read Disturb by JA Konrath to find out.

A gripping medical thriller that will keep you awake—pun intended—and cause you
Bob
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an okay thriller, which is sort of an oxymoron. If it's not real exciting is it really a thriller? Well, whatever it was, it was okay. The plot was less than believable. Unlike most medical thrillers that sound like they could happen, this was beyond what i consider credible. A pharmaceutical company comes up with a pill that eliminates the need for sleep. As the FDA prepares to approve the drug, the scientists who developed the pill start getting killed off. That much all sounds reason ...more
Alfred J. Coscia
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Readable But Not Outstanding

The book had a plot that was good, but seemed to have too much in it for the story to flow. I am a fan of Konrath but this just did not seem to measure up to other books. I enjoyed some aspects, but neither characters or the storyline stand out. Maybe it needed an editor to pull together the brilliant aspects and oust the borderline ridiculous ideas. It is okay, but not his best work.
Michael
Dec 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
BOO!!!

I began by wanting to read the whole series. Now I'm wondering if I will read any more. There's something psychopathic about killing off the characters one by one. Just as soon as I became fond of a character, proof! That character is gone. I'm taking a vacation from the series. Perhaps a very long one.
Kaamil
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book

I was completely absorbed into the plot. The characters, their thoughts and their emotions. The plot developed well and I learned several new terms whilst reading this novel.

However, I made it to the end, and just before it was all over, my dreams came crashing down. Brilliant story, average ending.
Christine Bishop
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Crazy!

Disturb by Konrath is a thriller about a pharmaceutical drug company trying to get N-SOM approved. N-SOM will completely replace sleeping but their are some very disturbing things in how the drug is made and it's test subjects. This is not as creepy as some of Konrath other books but it will definitely make you jump in some places. 4 stars
Patty
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was very good. It is about a new pill that keeps you awake. They are doing human clinical trials and the results are not good. There is a lot of violence and killing, but for some that leads to their ultimate high.
Lorraine
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disturb was a Disturbing read...LOL!!

J.A. Konrath at his best!! Disturb is a wicked read, full of all kinds of havoc, from start to finish!! Not for the weak of heart...lol. All kinds of death, appear in this book. Read with the lights on...lol.
Ernestine
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Far too unrealistic for me, too strange.

I could not get any joy reading this one. All the characters were incompetent, unthinking, too la Dee dah. Just unbelievable considering the setting. Wallstreet meets Carrie type of story.
Lisa Stethem
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Konrath’s writing style. This book did not disappoint. The standalone books are usually a crap shoot since the characters aren’t established like the Jack Daniels series but this book did a good job of building characters and a nice twist at the end. Worth the read.
Nicole
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Cliffhanger!

The book was good with lots of twists and turns right up until the end when it leaves it open ended. Yes, some of the mysteries/questions were solved but the main one was not completed.
barbara wilson
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best medical thriller in a long time!!!!

This is so good that I stopped reading at chapter 31 to write this review it had so many twists. I would tell anyone that enjoys a good med thriller this is it!
Craig
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
What am unbelievable page Turner this was. I read it in less than 24 hours! I loved the premise of the plot.
Meredith Leigh
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This book was a different change to the regular horror books. What a ride! Takes you in doesn’t let go.
Jerry Palmer
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting plot with some twists along the way. Imagine if you could take one pill everyday and never have to sleep again? Nothing could possibly go wrong, right?
Janet
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
very good
Eileen
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
spooky and kinda way out there.. Good story
Miriam
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
a disturbing novel revolving around medication that allows one to go without sleep. just think of the possible consequences.
kindle edition is fraught with grammatical errors and missing words.
Debra H. Wruble
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Strange

Strange and wonderfully terrifying. Imaginative tail about a drug that causes the body to no longer need sleep but the downside is insanity.

• Truck Stop
  • Birds of Prey
  • Timecaster (Timecaster, #1)
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
JA Konrath is the author of eleven novels in the Jack Daniels thriller series. They do not have to be read in chronologically to be enjoyed, but the order is: Whiskey Sour, Bloody Mary, Rusty Nail, Dirty Martini, Fuzzy Navel, Cherry Bomb, Shaken, Stirred, Rum Runner, Last Call, and White Russian. More coming soon.

Jack Daniels also appears in the novels Dead On My Feet, Dying Breath, Everybody Dies

Konrath/Kilborn Collective (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The List
  • Origin
  • Afraid (Afraid, #1)
  • Trapped (Afraid, #2)
  • Endurance (Afraid, #3)
  • Haunted House (Afraid, #4)
  • Webcam (The Konrath/Kilborn Collective)
  • Serial Killers Uncut