Start by marking “The Dead: Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism” as Want to Read:
The Dead: Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism

The Dead: Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  239 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Adopted at more than 1,000 colleges and universities, Bedford/St. Martin's innovative Case Studies in Contemporary Criticism series has introduced more than a quarter of a million students to literary theory and earned enthusiastic praise nationwide. Along with an authoritative text of a major literary work, each volume presents critical essays, selected or prepared especi ...more
Published December 15th 1993 by Bedford/St. Martin's

To ask other readers questions about The Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead

Benjamin Saubolle-Camacho
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This "Case Studies" series is pretty easy to understand for any beginner studying literary criticism/theory.
Stewart
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
One of the great short stories in the English language – or any language – “The Dead” by James Joyce is the last of the 15 stories in his book of short stories "Dubliners," published in 1914. I first read the story when I was 20 and wasn’t of an age to understand its complexities. Thirty-seven years later I read it again before flying to Dublin, Ireland, the site of the stories, for a few days’ visit.
In early 2013, I used an amazon.com gift card to buy a copy of "The Dead: Case Studies in Cont
Derek
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Self-conscious Irish men whose lives are filled with empty longing
"The Dead" is the last story in James Joyce's "Dubliners" and since I was already reading "Dubliners," when I got to the final story in the book, I skipped over to this version which includes a number of critical essays from different schools of literary critique. I really enjoyed reading Dubliners, but I must admit that I was often baffled with it. Remembering my rather unsuccessful reading of "The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" many years ago, I decided that anytime I read Joyce, I sho ...more
Mariano Hortal
"The dead" es el último cuento de la recopilación de Joyce "Dubliners". Retrato costumbrista de la Irlanda de la época con Dublín como ciudad protagonista, una Dublín nevada y fría pero encantadora. Ella es la verdadera protagonista y los irlandeses capitaneados por Gabriel Conroy. Sus temas, que desarrollará más tarde están ya presentes: Dublín subyugada por Inglaterra, su conflicto religioso y por supuesto la epifanía: que el personaje sufre ante la aparición de un amor inmortal e inexistente ...more
Erin Quinney
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A book nerd's dream--James Joyce and literary criticism!

I read this for a class and it was helpful seeing literary criticism in action. I disagreed with most of it, but that's what makes it so great. Ten people can read the same book and come away with ten different impressions. With any luck, a person can then discuss her opinion with those 9 other people. Book club!!

Did I mention I'm a complete nerd?
Jessie
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This short story is amazing. I don't really know how to put it into words. The way that Joyce plays with the concept of isolation, and how the protagonist grows and changes over the course of the story is fascinating. The way that he toys with and throws around symbolism and allusions to the past, and the afterlife...

Classic Modernist lit, and one of the most beautiful works that I have read in a while.
Elizabeth
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
This review is not for the short story, "The Dead," but rather the edition as a whole. These essays are extremely dated and Swartz's attempts to summarize various literary fields sub-par at best. This text is too complicated for undergrads who don't have a good basis in literary theory or history and too reductive for graduate students.
Jack Phoenix
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rarely does a story of roughly 40 pages pack such an emotional, philosophically-layered punch, but Joyce's clever use of lulling the reader into a sense of the mundane makes the conclusion all the more powerful.
Susu
Die Tochter einer Bekannten brauchte eine deutsche Fassung - und das am Sonntag - also habe ich das hier mal wieder ausgebuddelt. Meine Ausgabe taucht leider auf amazon nicht mehr auf - es handelt sich um eine nette Sammlung an Erzählungen und Ausschnitten - sozusagen zur Eingewöhnung.
Katie J Schwartz
Like most classic writers, I prefer Joyce in small chunks like this (as opposed to tackling one of his novels -- no thanks). The critical essays were very good; I especially enjoyed Margot Norris' feminist discussion.
Edward
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Obviously the story is five-star material, as is everything from Dubliners. No question there, but then I am biased since it's Joyce. I also liked the criticism that was included in the book, particularly Schwarz's own psychoanalytic criticism, despite a bit of gratuitous reaching.
Donohue
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
"Memories of their secret life together burst like stars upon his memory"
Zack Mollhagen
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some very interesting essays are in this collection which added depth to my rereading of "The Dead." I love this short story, and the different perspectives are insightful.
Lola
This is one of my favorite short stories/novellas. I re-read it every year at Christmas-time.
Elysse
Emotionally evocative, especially the last scene, but other than that it didn't do too much for me. People looked into it waaaaaay to much in my opinion.
Sara
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a slow burn, but it's worth the read. You'll find yourself thinking about it days later and being surprised what an impact it had on you.
MaryWeatherwell
One of the (few) bright spots of senior seminar, this story makes me ache.
Luke
Jul 27, 2011 added it
Brilliant and subtle work. The ending is unforgettable.
Anna
Oct 02, 2012 added it
Amazing. I love everything about this book.
Cindy
Feb 12, 2009
Josh
Nov 19, 2011
Chad Cowgill
rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2011
  • Vector Calculus
  • Fiction and Poetry: Complete and Unabridged
  • Creationists: Selected Essays: 1993-2006
  • Favorite Poems
James Joyce, Irish novelist, noted for his experimental use of language in such works as Ulysses (1922) and Finnegans Wake (1939). Joyce's technical innovations in the art of the novel include an extensive use of interior monologue; he used a complex network of symbolic parallels drawn from the mythology, history, and literature, and created a unique language of invented words, puns, and allusions ...more
More about James Joyce...