Start by marking “When Hearts Conjoin” as Want to Read:
When Hearts Conjoin

When Hearts Conjoin

In 2006, the world stopped to watch as the media reported on the events taking place in Salt Lake City, Utah. Four-year-old conjoined twins underwent a twenty-five hour surgery to separate their lower bodies. Even amid today's high tech hospitals and pocedures, the birth of conjoined twins is highly risky and against most doctors' recommendations. The successful separation ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Richard Paul Evans, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about When Hearts Conjoin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Hearts Conjoin

Heather
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I interviewed the ghostwriter, Lu Ann Staheli, below!

Many books are ghostwritten—especially those you see with "celebrity authors". Some ghostwriters are acknowledged inside the pages (i.e. Glenn Beck’s book The Christmas Sweater had two ghostwriters). Others are acknowledged on the cover such as When Hearts Conjoin, by Erin Herrin with Lu Ann Staheli. Below is an interview with Lu Ann Staheli, who was happy to share her journey of writing the story of Herrin family and their conjoined twins who
Roslyn
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time putting this book down when I should have been asleep - the story is compelling, and my heart was drawn in immediately.
It's an amazing story of strength, and faith, and hope.
G.G. Vandagriff
Miracle upon miracle is recorded in the book When Hearts Conjoin, co-written by Erin Herrin and Lu Ann Staheli, about the wondrous birth, survival, and first-time in the world separation of the co-joined Herrin twins. This book is not about easy faith or perfect people. It is about people who have committed sins, repented, and moved on to build faith that flew in the face of all known medical knowledge of the times.

Beautifully and rivetingly written, this account begins with a marriage on its la
LuAnn
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: non-fiction
The complete and true story behind the Herrin twins miracle!

On August 7-8, 2006, the whole world watched as a team of doctors performed a miracle at Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. For the first time, four-year-old twins Maliyah and Kendra Herrin were having surgery—in separate rooms. Born conjoined from mid-torso down, these two angels captured the hearts of millions of people around the world!

When Hearts Conjoin is the heart-warming story of Erin Herrin, her husband
Tristi
Apr 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
When a woman finds out she’s pregnant, she goes through a variety of emotions. Joy, elation, apprehension, fear of the unknown—and worry that something might go wrong with the pregnancy or delivery. For many women, these fears never materialize into actuality and they are able to enjoy a beautiful, complication-free experience. For Erin, her worst fears came true.

Erin’s marriage had never been strong, and as time went by, it seemed to grow even weaker. Shortly after Erin entered her second pregn
Val
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I received this as a GoodReads giveaway.

The story was good. As with Mixed Blessings by the Gosellins, I can't say that I necessarily agree with the decisions to have the children, but the story itself is satisfying.

Trusting their faith in God, Jake and Erin Herrin find out that they are expecting conjoined daughters. Medical professionals keep telling them to terminate the pregnancy, but Erin, and finally Jake adamantly refuse to do so.

WHEN HEARTS CONJOIN chronical the start of Jake and Erin's r
Tracie
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
When I saw this book on the goodreads site I knew it was a book I was interested in reading. Years ago I met the Herrin girls when they were still conjoined. They were amazing, it only took me a moment to forget that they were conjoined, they were so vibrant, engaging and very much individuals. I thouroughly enjoyed reading the book, and had a hard time putting it down when something else had to be done. The book for me was as much about the way we engage in life and what life sends towards us, ...more
Sheila
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I thought I knew so much about the Herrin twins from all of the news stories. I found out differently while reading this book. I don't think most of "us" knew just how emotionally trying this was on their parents or the girls. I am so impressed at the strength Erin Herrin showed as she faced this immense trial in her life. Erin's strength, faith
and courage lifted me so much. All I can say is what a remarkable lady!!

LuAnn has written a story that everyone should read. As I finished reading the
Pat
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
An excellent true story of a young mother and the hard decisions she struggled to make about her marriage and her children.
Chamaine
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thought I would just read one chapter, but 2 hours later, I had completed the entire book! Well written - neat story! Fast, easy read - I highly recommend it!
Eva Leger
This is a very fast story to get through - had I had the time I could have finished it in one sitting. That's not to say it's an easy story because it's anything but.
I'm still sitting here shaking my head at all Erin and Jake were dealt by life. I simply can't imagine having 5 kids all under the age of 5 at the same time, four of them coming from two sets of twins. And that's leaving all of the medical problems OUT.
Erin and Jake's age is another fact that amazes me. There are people twice their
Cheri
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not a news watcher. I find it depressing to hear about the horrors humanity does to one another across the globe. That being said, I didn't follow Kendra and Maliyah's story as it unfolded. But I've have had to be in a coma not to know what was going on, and I count myself among the thousands who prayed for these little girls and their family during that time.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed When Hearts Conjoin. Their mother, Erin, gives an at times unflinching view into her life and h
Erin
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
When I saw this book on the library shelf several years ago I put it on my mile long "to-read" list. Life stories, biography's are not my favorite genre, but I remember hearing about these girls on the news and I wanted to know the whole story. It was a fast read for me. I sat down, on the floor, cause I was picking up the book from the floor. Skimmed the whole book in just a couple of hours. It was good and I missed some key parts so I decided to re-read it all cover to cover the next day. Erin ...more
Daron
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of the best non-fiction books I have ever read. Even though I knew what the outcome of the story would be as I turned the pages, I was pulling for the Herrin family, especially Erin, as I read about their struggles over all of those long, trial filled years. She is one tough woman. Congratulations to both her and her husband Jake for their beautiful family and the happiness they have found together. What a wonderful testament to forgiveness, love, and miracles. I am sure that Heaven ...more
Emma
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
When the Herrins were on the news, I found myself praying for them, but also in awe of their strength and faith. I was expecting to read about the difficulties and trials that were associated with the conjoined twins, but Erin takes it all the way back to the beginning of her relationship with Jake and the trials they experienced all along the way, that ultimately prepared them for this experience with the twins. I found it refreshing how open and honest Erin was about her weaknesses and mistake ...more
Erin
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This book is a memoir of Erin Herrin's experiences as a mother of conjoined twins. I love books like this--stories of seemingly regular people with an extraordinary experience to share. There were some parts that gave TMI (I really didn't care to know what day she became pregnant) and others where I could just cry for her and feel her pain like when she was going through marital problems. And it was really hard for me to get past three, yes three, editoral mistakes (calling her husband Jack inst ...more
Karen
Jun 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I received this from a goodreads drawing. I was interested to read about these girls and their situation as I remembered hearing about them in the news when they were first born and then again when they underwent their separation.
I found Erin's willingness to openly share her story and her feelings refreshing.She is candid about choices she made and how they have affected her life. The challenges she and her family have faced and continue to face could be daunting, but her faith and trust in a l
Judy
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a fascinating read about the Herrin family and their struggles to make their marriage work and raise a growing family that included formerly conjoined twins. We get to ride along on the emotional roller coaster when Erin learns that she is pregnant with twins and that they are conjoined. Against many, many odds she opts to continue the pregnancy and have the children. Erin and her daughters are definitely fighters. The book reads as though you are having a conversation with Erin making ...more
Kiersten Hislop
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody who is curious about rare occurances.
Genre: Biography
This biography written by Erin Marie Herrin was definitely well written. I loved how she continually kept you wondering what was going to happen to the girl's next. In fact, after I finished reading this well-thought out book, I researched the Herrin's on the internet to see what their life is like now! I love how Erin walks us through her life through-out those few years, the bad times and the good! I'm hoping Erin Herrin chooses to make another book about the girls updating all
Janette
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There haven't been a lot of books that I've read in one sitting--this was one of them. I really couldn't believe everything this Erin went through, and that she was so willing to share personal details--and often painful details of her life with the world.

As the mother of one set of twins, I just can't imagine having two sets--one set of them conjoined. Erin and Jake had to make decisions that people shouldn't have to make, and this book is a testament to the power of prayers and miracles.
Michelle
Incredible story about conjoined twins! The mother of the of twins wrote this history of events. She's not a writer, so the writing is mediocre, but it was good enough to provoke lots of thought about what I think I would do in this same stressful situation. It was interesting to read about how they came to love the girls' conjoined body and actually missed being able to hold them together after they were surgically separated. I would like to have been able to read more about their development a ...more
Lacey
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved reading the Herrin's story from Erin's view and not just from the media. I remember watching these little girls through their separation. I'm amazed at the strength these two have. I saw them this past summer at the swimming pool and loved seeing them be normal like any other children their age. I was very touched by the faith and strength this family has and the power of the love our Heavenly Father has for each one of us and to know that He is truly there when we need him.
Camille
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Great story but I felt the writing was quite shallow, and even a bit cheesy in some parts. It definitely isn't a novel where it goes into depth with feelings and detailed events. It reads more like a journal of events: this is what happened, then this happened, then it was hard and I was sad, but then it got better. However, it is an amazing story. For one person and family to go through all this, pretty cool. Just wish it was written better.
Anne
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"When Hearts Conjoin" is an intriguing and inspiring true story that stays in the mind long after the last page. The book is well written and I had strong feelings of compassion for both the parents and the twins as their ordeals unfolded. I recommend this fine book as an uplifting and thought-provoking read that made me want to go and hug all concerned in its telling.
Dayna
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A quick read that got me thinking about the various challenges that come with motherhood and the choices we are sometimes forced to make. The Herrin's are amazing. I don't know how I could have emotionally withstood having conjoined twins and then another set of twins and then facing the separation surgery. Sheesh!
Tammy
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was really hard to put down! I remember the Herrin twins when I worked at the hospital. I quit when they were about a year old so I didn't hear much about them after that. I loved the part about Dr. Matlak. He was a great surgeon and he even did a surgery on my son. Great story!
Christie
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I was fascinated by this story while it was playing out on the news. I thought that it was amazing what extraordinary things ordinary people can do when they have to. The book is an hour read. Easy and interesting.
PrivateLibrary
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Interesting read but I don't think I would have aired that much of my dirty laundry for everyone to read about how troubled my marriage was. The poor girls have been through a lot and I hope the best for them in their futures.
Nadine
Apr 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting, I can't imagine the difficulty of the situations this family went through and will continue to go through. I wish the pictures would have been labeled so that you could tell which twin was which.
Maddie