Start by marking “A Hole In The World” as Want to Read:
A Hole In The World

A Hole In The World

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  190 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
From acclaimed storyteller Sid Hite, a stirring novel about a town haunted by the past and a boy who must overcome his own past to help it.

Paul Shackleford has gotten himself into trouble, and now he's being sent away to a relative's farm in the middle of nowhere. He thinks he's in for the worst summer of his life . . . until he discovers a haunting mystery and a ghost wit
Published March 1st 2004 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Hole In The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hole In The World

Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Quiet and touching. In a good way that isn't cheesy.
Atharva
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very expressive and I especially recommend to the people who have grown up in cities and never done farming or visited rural area before. It also shows that there loads of adventures outside the technological world. I recommend this book to everyone and is a good short read if you are bored.
Lynn
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: boys or girls
Well crafted story about a young man wrestling with having told a lie. His father drops him off with distant relatives in rural Virginia, and he learns to respect them and himself as he grows into a man.
Candeeta
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Found it on the floor and was so grateful that I did! Great read, made me cry. Had a brilliant plot and theme. A Very recommendable coming of age.
Tavia Meador
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A Hole In The World by Sid Hite is about a boy named Paul Shackleford that is sent away to his relative’s farm because he has got himself in trouble. Paul expects his summer to be horrible because he isn’t with his friends hanging out every day until a haunted mystery is put into his hands about a ghost with a face his recognizes.
To solve the haunted mystery a girl named Rebecca and a dog named Einstein are going to help out. Paul solves the truth behind all of the madness in the world. What P
Mitali Sengupta
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this book during one summer in my pre-teens. A touching story that is written beautifully. Keeps you engrossed and makes you think about all the people you possibly might meet - a meeting that changes your world.
Kylie Kilmer
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quick story of the beauty in simplicity.
S. Edwards
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
A little childish but pretty great...the main character reminds me of a friend of mine.
Nate
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book long ago, I just remembered it out of the blue. I really loved it. I'm about to go find it so I can read it again and see what I think about it now.
Jen
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of good messages and some good quotes.
However, the reasons why I gave it three stars are as follows:
Not sure how realistic it is, I would like to ask a 15 year old.
The story is about a young boy who's desire to become a good person is shaped and motivated by the memories a farm community share of "Hennley Gray," a friend who has died. It's a beautiful thing. *spoiler alert* Then comes the seance scene where some of them try to make contact with him. Up until this point i
Mandy
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Do you like books that are strange and different? Then you will like this book. It is very different but quiet interesting. It will make you want to read more but seems boring at times. This novel is about a teenage boy named Paul who got in some trouble at home. His parents thought it would be good for him to stay on a farm with relatives he had only met once, at a funeral years ago. When he arrives he thinks they are all freaks and cannot wait to return to the city with his friends. He soon re ...more
Kiera Wright
Mar 07, 2016 is currently reading it
The name of this book is "A Hole In The World", by Sid Hite. The main setting was a farm house, where Paul Shackleford had to stay for three months because he got in some big trouble. The characters are Paul Shackleford, Morris Shackleford, Ada Vallenport, Hargrove Vallenport, Granny, and the dog Einstein.
The main conflict is Paul had to face some consequences, so his parents sent him to one their friends house he knew since he was a kid. I like this book because it shows how to discipline yo
Samantha
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book also was wierd, it was not what i was aiming for. I was really looking for an interesting book and all that stuff. It dealt with this really bad kid and his troubles. So one day he went out onto a ranch and he had to stay there until he got back together. Along the way he learns that the world is changing and that he needs to change with it as well. when he finally gets his stuff together, he gets to go home and when he gets home, his dad is dying and there is nothing he could do to ha ...more
Bec Horowitz
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that I had never heard of before and magically stumbled upon in the ever lovely Mr. Mike's Used Book Store in Cary, North Carolina. I was intrigued by my copy's cover (different from the picture here). I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I loved the cover too much to not read it. It was a little slow going at first, but it quickly moved up the ranks to somewhere in my top 10 or 8 books of all time. I loved it. I would recommend this book to deeper thin ...more
Catherine
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is another book that in a small way helps me deal with the hole that was left in our world when my niece died last summer. This book is beautifully written. It makes you think about a lot of things - about what you want to be and how you want to be.

The characters in the book are mourning for their friend who took his life - a person who left a hole in their world. Hite got the grieving part down well. It also shows that there isn't a right or wrong way to grieve. This book is deep and is a
Alex
Mar 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This is about a boy named Paul. Paul got in alot trouble because he lied to his father. As punishment, he must spend his summer on farm. He meets his relatives ther and makes a friend named Rebecca. He met a ghost with a familiar face and the truth will change him forever.

I have no connection.

I gave this book 3 stars because it wasn't that good. It wasn't that good because it was mosttly boring. I recommend this book to anyone who looks suspense books.
Debbie
After Paul gets into some trouble, his parents decide to send him away for the summer. Paul is not happy about being banished to a farm in the middle of nowhere, but he handles it with (mostly) good grace and learns a lot about himself. The other people on the farm are dealing with the loss of a dear friend (who committed suicide when he found out that he had cancer) and Paul gradually comes to understand the man and why his absence left such a big hole in their world.
Sandra Strange
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
The narrator changes as he is moved from familiar urban environment to country and farm life. He learns how one good person can influence many and leave “a hole in the world” when he dies. Good on dynamic, changing characterization. I want to know if kids like it. It hints at being a ghost story, but isn’t, so feels a little anticlimactic. Kids who read it thought the same I did. We kept looking for the ghost, which never materialized. Positive.
Jerry
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you decide to read this book, you'd better have the following handy: 1 large box of tissues. My assistant and I both sobbed like idiots when we finished this novel. Every once in a while you just need to have a good cathartic cry, and this is the book to trigger it. Sid Hite needs to write more books like this one and quickly!
Cam T
Dec 09, 2016 added it
I really enjoyed this book, I loved how he thought he was going to have a really bad summer, but then he found out a shocking discovery. There was a Ghost in his house that had a very familiar face. His dog Einstein and him find out who this ghost really is. When he finds out the shocking discovery it will change him forever.
Lydia
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is about a boy who gets punished and is sent to a farm by his parents. In the farm, everything is different. He has to get use to a complete different environment. What I don't like about this book is that it only talks about how the boy feels in the farm. But the beginning is very 'hooky', but gets less and less 'hookier'. And that is why i gave 2 stars.
Lynn O
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
realistic fiction, 204 pg; a high school-aged boy from the city goes to live on a farm during the summer as punishment for a lie he told. At first this seems overly harsh, but because the main character, Paul, is a thoughtful and observant young man, the summer turns into much more than the farm work drudgery he originally thought it would be. Very well-written!
Salvador Garcia
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was not the type of books that i like. It had slow action and i prefere books that are fast and pick up the pace. The book was filled with valuable lessons and it's mostly about how the main character is learning lessons in a terrain that not his. it is still a good book though. but not good if you like fast action books.
Grace
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like it. It was hard to get into and it was boring, there was no action in it and the ending was really sad. It was just about a boy who went to a farm as a punishment for the summer and ended up liking it. Then at the end of the summer he left. I didn't think it was a good book.
Scott5212
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This book name is A Hole In The World by Sid Hite. Tis story takes place in a haunted farm and the farmer with his dog and friend will be in a scary adventure to find out about the secrets in the farm. This is a scary enchanted book with a lot of twists and turns.
Tyler
Jan 28, 2009 is currently reading it
This book is about a guy that has gotten himself into trouble and now hes being sent away to a relatives farm in the middle of nowhere. he thinks it will be the worst summer ever until he mets a ghost with a familar face.then what he learn will change his life forever.
Jill Haberman
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Layers to the plot--busted kid sent to farm relatives for the summer, ghost legends, Einstein the dog, and mysterious girl/house weave together nicely enough to allow the main character to gain insights about life.
Mellanie C
Jul 10, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Carol Cline
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good read especially for guys. Turned into a good mystery towards the end.
Suzanne
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a lovely story, but I didn't feel that the dialogue (especially that of the 15 year-olds) was authentic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
the dog is sooooooo cute 1 2 Oct 25, 2011 07:27AM
  • Boots and the Seven Leaguers (A Rock-and-Troll  Fairy Tale, #3)
  • Seven Paths to Death (Samurai Detective, #6)
  • Tune in Anytime
  • Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)
  • Guests
  • Where I'd Like to Be
  • Overboard
  • The Kidnappers: A Mystery
  • Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • Silent Thunder
  • Beardance (Bearstone, #2)
  • Sister Spider Knows All
1 follower
“For me, writing books for a living is a grand privilege. I often feel as if I've won some sort of prize.”

Sid grew up in a family of seven in the small town of Bowling Green, Virginia. Sid says that when he was young he “had more energy than brains.” And further states that he “[wishes] it was still that way.”

Sid discovered his passion for novels in his teenage years and decided right then and the
More about Sid Hite