Start by marking “Around the World in Eighty Days, with eBook” as Want to Read:
Around the World in Eighty Days, with eBook

Read Book* *Different edition

Around the World in Eighty Days, with eBook (Extraordinary Voyages #11)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  143,886 Ratings  ·  4,526 Reviews
A fastidious English gentleman makes a remarkable wager: He will travel around the world in eighty days or forfeit his life's savings. Thus begins Jules Verne's classic novel—one that remains unsurpassed in sheer storytelling entertainment and pure adventure.

Phileas Fogg and his faithful manservant, Jean Passepartout, embark on a fantastic journey into a world filled with
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 26th 2009 by Tantor Media (first published 1872)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in Eighty Days, with eBook, please sign up.

Sashia You can start with any one you want and it won't make a difference to your reading. I didn't even know they were considered a series.
Marinos 1873. You could also google it or, you know, read the description.

James Lafayette  Tivendale
"Truly, would you not for less than that make a tour around the world?"

This is the second Verne book I have devoured in two days which have both been accredited five stars. I could end the review at that and I would be content!

Similar to The Journey to the Centre of the Earth which I read yesterday - Verne creates amazingly awesome and complex characters. The main protagonist Mr. Fogg is an obsessive-compulsive routine loving timekeeper who bets his chums at the club that he can travel around th
Fabian
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... So I do believe I saved a book's life. About to be tossed away, being a pariah of the garage sale variety, I not only took it home; I READ it. Aglow with endearing cliches, this is the source of plenty of adventure stories, many of which are films, comics, etc.

Verne's imagination is grand & the plot is silly and almost kid-like. But absurd it ain't. It is fun exactly because there is a topsy turvy madness to visiting places just to prove a point. It is fun because it is rife with in
Lisa
"Mum, could we travel the world in the same way that Phileas Fogg and Passepartout did?"

The question propels me back in time, about three decades. This was the first Jules Verne book I read. I carried it home in a heavy school bag, in the darkness after an winter afternoon in the public library. I was ten, and I had to fill my long evenings, which started at sun set around half past two. I still remember the smell of the book, picked from the "Classics for children" section, and how I opened it
Lyn
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Around the World in Eighty Days was first published by Jules Verne in 1873, and was introduced to an adoring public as monthly installments.

Each chapter is thus seen as connected but with its own hooks and cliffhangers. The character of Phileas Fogg has become a stoic archetype for too cool operators in books to come in several genres.

This is fast moving and fun, still a good read over a hundred years later. One very interesting aspect of the narrative was the portrait of the American west in
Nayra.Hassan
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
يومه محسوب بالدقائق🕛 ..و افعاله متوقعة لشهور بل و أعوام
فيلياس فوج ..متحذلقا ..دقيقا.. غارقا في التفاصيل التي تضيع عليه بهجة الحياة
..ببالغ في نظامه و انضباطه حتى انه من المستحيل رؤيته عصبيا أو مغتاظا😠. .متوترا او متعجلا
فوج يبالغ في انفصاله عن الحياة و المجتمع ..يتبنى الاعتدال و المحدودية. .يتجنب المناقشات. .."لا الومه حقا" بل اني انبهر احيانا بهذا النمط و قدرته على الصمود ...لكني مندهشة من اختياره في منتصف القرن 18 ..الدنيا هى هي إذن

باختصار فيلياس فوج يتفادى بكل قوته ان يكون إنسانا..
و هذا يستف
Baba
1 I-hated-it-32-years-ago-and-still-hate-it star.

photo tumblr_inline_n9rbi1iLIR1qb3wyg_zpswi1fun8d.gif

photo tumblr_n5s7wb14Sp1rks5xoo1_500_zpsd6971541.gif

A couple days ago my son and I were talking about boring classroom reading material. This reminded me that I never rated this glorious piece of classic literature. How anyone would insist that students had to mandatorily read it in the 80s is beyond me, let alone in the 21st century. A couple years ago, when my son came home with that little paperback edition and whined about how incredibly uninteresting this "gem" is, I calmed him down by saying
Charity
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love grand adventures
Shelves: 1001books
I finished Around the World in 80 Days today and it was even better than I remembered from my childhood. Admittedly, the version I had read as a child was the Great Illustrated Classics edition that was, unfortunately, abridged. I felt that a reading of the unabridged classic was long overdue. Shockingly enough, I still remembered the ending 20 years later.

Just the task Phileas Fogg faces in traveling the world in 80 days (in the 19th century) and the obstacles that pop up to delay his travels w
Bradley
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, 2017-shelf
The original steampunk adventure! Written while it was still called modern!

Fascinating! :)

Seriously, though... Jules Verne knows how to write a fast-paced adventure with French tomfoolery and English sprats. They're buckling down to show other multi-millionaires (price adjusted) what a *real* wager is, using nothing more than a very keen mind and a talent for reading multiple departures in the paper. (You had to be there. And you also have to enjoy a period piece, too!)

But that's not all, folks
David Sasaki
Jan 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you've read the novel or watched the movie, Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days is so embedded in Western culture that just about everyone knows the basic plot premise: wealthy and reticent Englishman Phileas Fogg makes gentlemanly bet with his chums that he can travel around the world in 80 days and then sets off with his temperamental French servant to do just that.

The idea for the story came from the actual journey of eccentric Bostonian George Francis Train. (Who liked
Ahmad Sharabiani
848. Le tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours = Around The World in Eighty Days (Extraordinary Voyages #11), Jules Verne
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه دسامبر سال 1968 میلادی
عنوان: سیاحت بر دورادور کره زمین به هشتاد روز؛ نویسنده: ژول ورن؛ مترجم: محمود طرزی؛ کابل، عنایت، 1289؛ در 377 ص؛
عنوان: سفر هشتاد روزه دور دنيا؛ مترجم محمدحسین فروغی (ذکاءالملک)؛ بی جا، 1300.؛
عنوان: سفر هشتاد روزه دور دنیا سیاحتی...؛ بنگاه نشریات بریانی - فردوسی، 1335. (63 ص)؛
عنوان: دور دنیا در هشتاد روز؛ نویسنده: ژول ورن؛ مترجم: اردش
Archit Ojha
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own

Man! The best adventure work till date!

Review to follow.
Mark
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really neat story. It was a fun view into life about a century ago.

My only nit with it was with the particular audio book I heard: an annoying afterward that publisher felt he had to append. In it, he explained to us how Mr. Verne's views of other cultures are simply not acceptable to modern people such as ourselves, and although he has transgressed and used stereotypes of different cultures the book still has some value.

I found it unfair and unnecessary. Verne's depiction of different cultures
Jason Koivu
Ah ha! So that's the reason for it being specifically 80 days! (view spoiler)
Miquel Reina
I'm a big fan of adventure and travel novels, so I couldn't stop recommending this wonderful and famous book by Jules Verne. After reading it, I'm sure you will want to make a great trip and took a year off to follow in the footsteps of Phileas Fogg! ;)

Spanish version:
Soy un gran fan de las novelas de aventuras y viajes, así que no podría dejar de recomendar este maravilloso libro de Julio Verne. Después de leerlo seguro que os entran una ganas enormes de hacer un gran viaje o tomaron un año sa
Apatt
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like five days for me really, though even that is too long for a 250 pages book. Well, it’s an audiobook and I only listened to it while commuting to work.

Yes, that is a silly intro but what I meant is that while listening to the book I often felt transported along with Phileas Fogg and crew. This is my first Jules Verne book, normally I prefer to read books in the original language they are written in because with translated books there is always an added layer between the translator and t
sweet jane
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Το πρώτο μου βιβλίο και παντοτινό!
Meli
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una aventura con todas las de ley.
Me pasé toda la lectura del libro soñando despierta, calculando cuánto llevaría hacer ese recorrido en la actualidad, con los transportes modernos y cuántos días de margen daría eso para que, visitando brevemente cada lugar (tampoco si das la vuelta al mundo da ir de tren en tren y de barco en barco, como en el libro)el viaje no se pase de los 80 días.

Mientras soñar sea gratis y el futuro incierto, capaz algún día quién dice. Como encantarme, ¡me encantaría!
Kathryn
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: I "read" the audiobook version of this, narrated by the fabulous Jim Dale. I think this definitely added interest to the story, which did begin a bit dull, but ended splendidly! Dale is REMARKABLE at the characterization and voices and I think this tale is especially well suited to being read aloud by someone who can do all the accents! ;-> This version also sometimes plays music in the background, suited to the setting/culture and that was a nice touch and helped set the right tone.

4.5
Sara Kamjou
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ممکن است فرصتی که به دنبالش هستیم در آخرین لحظه فرا برسد.
...
این کتاب دقیقا مصداق همین جمله ست که از خود کتاب نوشتم. حکایت بیم و امید با چاشنی تلاش در ماجراجوییهایی خونسردانه.
داستان شخصی که در پی یه شرطبندی تصمیم میگیره دور دنیا رو در هشتاد روز طی کنه و در این راه با معماها، اتفاقات جالب و اشارات فرهنگی مواجه میشیم.
شخصیت فیلیس فاگ واقعا برای من الهامبخش بود که چطوری در طول سفر و اتفاقات غیرمترقبه خونسردیش رو حفظ میکرد و جای کاسهی چه کنم چه کنم به دست گرفتن، به فکر و دنبال راهحلی بود.
گرچه پایانبن
Asmaa
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أعجبتنى كثيرا شخصية مستر فوج وكذلك خادمه باسبارتو ودفاعه عن سيده فى جميع المواقف .....وما أعجبنى اكثر هو نهاية الرحلة فهو فى خلال رحلته حول العالم لم يكسب أى شىء ماعدا زوجة جميلة محبة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال ....ألا يستحق ذلك منه رحلة حول العالم ....؟؟
Mandy
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Well that was rather amusing :-) Preferred the second half of the book, faster paced and more escapades!
Jamie Collins
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, victorian
This was fun to read out loud. The phrasing was strange sometimes, possibly due to this being a translated work, but I thought it only contributed to the book's charm. My older son particularly enjoyed Passepartout's character. We discussed suttee, opium dens, Mormons, and extradition laws, among other things.

I confess to being a little disappointed that Fogg's success was mostly due to his wealth. He essentially bribes his way around the world; a poor man couldn't have made it.
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

V, is for Verne

3 Stars

A true Englishman doesn't joke when he is talking about so serious a thing as a wager.

Around the World in 80 Days is a slim little adventurous classic that seems to be telling us so much more than the actual text would suggest. It’s heavily scientific jargon can be a bit much at times, and the adventure itself is interesting more than exciting.

The motley cast of characters - a staid Englishman, an excitable French servant, an American cop and an Indian maiden – have such d
David Sarkies
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The Shrinking World
26 August 2016 - Rouen

I just noticed a little oddity with Goodreads in France: they used 'et' instead of 'and' when it tells you that people have liked a review. Mind you, they still use the work 'like' and opposed to 'aimer', which is a little disappointing, though apparently the word like, when used in the context of liking something on Social Media, has been taken onboard by numerous languages as apparently the Germans do something similar. I guess this is further evidence
Lea
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fiction
This book brings so much childhood memories back. My dad just to read aloud and retell over and over again Jules Verne's stories and I'm so grateful for that. It ignited my passion for reading a long time ago, as I learned for the first time that I can travel around the world through books and stories, laying in the warm room.

I can still remember the vivid images of my imagination that I had as a child listening to this story and feelings will never fade, I still felt quite emotional rereading
Ernest Junius
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurous gentlemen
Recommended to Ernest by: girlfriend
Definitely classic! My girlfriend bought me this book about two years ago, considering my fondness of adventure story. I wasn't really have a chance to read it at that time, thus I had just recently read it a few days ago–and to my surprise I did "round the world" in merely less than three days.

The story sets itself in the middle of 19th century, in the very capital of England, London, where Phileas Fogg and his loyal French servant Passepartout set off on a race to round the world in eighty day
[Shai] The Bibliophage
I just remember that there was a movie adaptation of this classic on early 2000, that casts some of the famous Hollywoord actors such as Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger. I never had a chance to see the said movie; and now I'm thinking of watching it to check if they follow the spectacular storyline of this book.

I love all the protagonists in this novel — even Detective Fix who later became an ally in Mr. Fogg's mission to travel the world. I'm not very much fond of travelling; but this boo
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-mm, audio
Chosen for the specific challenge of reading a "book that's at least 100 years older than you", this surprised me in a good way.

Part history lesson, part geography lesson - I enjoyed following the prim and proper Phileas Fogg, as he traipses across the globe to win an impossible gentlemen's wager. Add in a dogged detective determined to get his man by any means possible and a loyal, overzealous manservant, and you've got quite the zany adventure. Though they face obstacle after obstacle in the s
Ahmed
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
مغامرة ممتعة للغاية
نتيجة رهان طائش من شخص رزين للغاية !!
حقيقة لم أفهم لم كانت شخصية مستر فوج بهذا البرود المبالغ فيه
ربما كانت سخرية مستترة من الإنجليز .. ربما
أعجبني إخلاص باسبارتو لسيده

الرواية إختتمت بهذا الإقتباس :

وماذا كسب "فيلياس فوج" من هذه الرحلة ؟
قد تقول :
- لا شئ .
حسن جداً، لا شئ، ما عدا زوجة جميلة محبَّة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال .
ألا يستحق ذلك رحلة حول العالم .. ؟!

أنا شخصيا لو لفيت الدنيا كلها وكسبت زوجه مخلصة تجعلنى أسعد رجل .. فهذا يكفي جدا
Justė
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001, 20-17, i-own
Jau senokai nebuvo aplankęs šitoks skaitymo malonumas kaip su šita knyga. Pirmiausia, tai nusipirkau naują „Nieko rimto“ knygos leidimą su nuostabiomis iliustracijomis, kurio net puslapius versti buvo gera. O tekstą, skirtingai nei tikėjausi, tiesiog surijau.

Tikėjausi tokio ramaus pasiskaitymo prieš miegą savaitei, o čia nežinau, galbūt suveikė mano nenoras ruoštis egzaminui, bet paėmusi tą knygą iš lentynos nebegalėjau padėt. Buvo paprasčiausiai įdomu, pagavo azartas – ar pavyks tos lažybos, k
  • Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances, #2)
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • The Talisman
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • Winnetou III: Winnetou Gugur
  • La Bête humaine
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages #8)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)
  • The Fur Country (Extraordinary Voyages, #10)
“Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.” 1681 likes
“The chance which now seems lost may present itself at the last moment.” 112 likes