Start by marking “Leaf Trouble” as Want to Read:
Leaf Trouble

Leaf Trouble

When he wakes up one morning to find that his home tree is changing, the little squirrel is scared! Why are all the leaves falling off?
Published August 1st 2009 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about Leaf Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaf Trouble

Kathryn
Nov 07, 2010 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS This story is cute enough, and gently presents a subject troubling for many children; that of change, of letting go of things, and learning to embrace something new. When the young squirrel encounters his first autumn, he is alarmed that his favorite tree is losing all its beautiful leaves and he worries until his mother explains to him that the tree needs time to rest because leaves are hard to maintain, and that the leaves will come again. It is likened to sunrise/sunset. The ending ...more
Charlotte Gray
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
‘Leaf Trouble’ is about a little squirrel and his family who live in a tree, although one day things start to change. The little squirrel starts to see the leaves on his tree changing colour fall off. In a panic he and friend decide to collect the leaves and stick them back on to the tree, but they keep falling off. The little squirrel is very upset, as he thinks he is loosing his home. At this point mum squirrel arrives to explain the misconception. That autumn had arrived and that is was natur ...more
Yuliana Gallardo
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book was about autumn and two little squirrels Pip and Blossom wonder why the leafs are falling.I loved the book I would like to read it to my little sibling if I had one. I recommend it to everyone because for me it was good that if there was a chapter book of that story I would like to read it because it had specific details.
Alice
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-75-stars
4.75 Stars This is a super fun book with very nice artwork! The squirrel is worried that the trees is falling apart because the leaves are falling down. He tries to put them back up.

Cute premises, nice pictures (has a really nice 3d effect) Loved it!
Diego Herrera
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
i think leaf trouble is a good book because it re minded me of when i was little and how short i used to read this book in kinder garden i had a buddy that would read to me and he read me this book i reccomend this book to cris
Pamela Hatch
Pip is a young squirrel experiencing autumn for the first time. He is upset because his favorite tree is dropping all it's leaves, so he quickly gathers them with the help of his sister and tries to put them back on the treek. But their mom comes and explains about trees and the seasons.

I loved the illustrations with all the colors of autumn - brown, yellow, red, and orange. There are a few pages that have a dark green background that makes it hard to read the text. And the ending is a little ab
Eileen
Nice one for Autumn!
Sarah Westgate
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Genre: Fiction
This book is great for Kindergarten and up. One unique feature of this book is it discusses the many different colors of fall leaves.
Marianne Lowe
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book to read to young children to introduce them to the season of Fall.
Angie
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: "As the leaves on the trees go from green to red and gold, two curious squirrels embrace the change of seasons!

Quickly he corrals his sister and they gather up the leaves in colorful pawfuls. But try as they may to stick them back on the branches, it's hopeless: Yellow, orange, red, and brown, all the leaves keep falling down!
It's only when their wise
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This book came a couple weeks ago and it came at the perfect time as for preschool that week we were talking about the change in seasons. My preschoolers in my class LOVED it!!

The story follows Pip, a young squirrel as he wakes up one morning to find that his tree is changing and he doesn't understand why. We wants it to stay how it is. He hurries about picking up all the beautiful colored leaves that keep falling and tries to put them back in the tree only to have more fall again. It's not unt
Katieb (MundieMoms)

Heidi-Marie
Simple story to explain a little bit of fall to a child. If a child already knows about fall then they will love seeing Pip and Blossom running around "saving" the tree. Pictures should keep attention of a preschool crowd, as would the story. It isn't fabulously hilarious, but a good book to include in a fall theme. Plus there are times when I can ask the kids things that they will know which Pip doesn't. Worth a try.

10/3/12 & 10/4/12 I had time left in my fall-themed preschool storytime, so
Tami
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pip Squirrel was enjoying his tree home but something seemed different. The wind was a bit cooler and something weird was happening to the leaves of the tree. They were turning different colors. Things only got worst when the wind started to blow leaves right off the tree. Pip tried to put them back but nothing seemed to help.

Leaf Trouble is just in time for fall. Enjoy the beautiful colors as Pip tries to save his tree from certain doom. Read on until Pip learns the secret that you already mig
Denise
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pip the squirrel fears there is osmething wrong with teh oak tree he calls home when the leaves turn red, orange and yellow and fall to the ground.

This is a great book for illustrating what happens to deciduous trees in autumn. Not only is this an entertaining read, but informative as well. Pip's mom explains what is happening to the tree and the author uses a simple metaphore that aids in the explanation. The illustrations are gorgeous with a cornucopia of autumn colors. Might be a little lengt
Tamra
A cute book about Fall. It helps "explain" why leaves fall down, though I'd prefer a more scientific explanation myself. Saying that trees need to "rest" seems a little too ... cutesy. Those kind of explanations aren't my thing. (Either there are dragons or it's science, and there's no in-between!)

Having said that, the book is cute and I think kids would think it's funny to watch this squirrel trying to put the leaves back on the tree. Silly squirrel.

2.5 stars.

(Once a month I read picture books
Ashley Ulstad
The setting of this book is in a park with a bunch of trees transitioning from summer to fall. This is my favorite Fall book. I would use this assignment to let my students understand why leaves change colors and fall of the branches. I would read the story to them and then learn a song about leaves falling down. Then we would have a visual arts assignment creating a tree and then paint leaves and transfer the leaves to a paper.
Amelia
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Karelle Royal
Nice book about a young squirrel who becomes very frantic when the leaves on the trees begin to change color.
Science: can be used to teach about the changes in the seasons as it relates to the earth's rotation. can also be used with younger students to teach about the weather.
S/S: can be used to teach about different places around the world with different climates (tropical places=no fall vs. north america).
Brightly colored illustrations.
Kayla
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Another story that's very similar--almost too much so--to Fletcher and the Falling Leaves (which has, quite disappointingly, been retitled The Fox and the Falling Leaves). I love Fletcher, so it's hard to enjoy a book that feels so much like a stolen idea, even when its a great idea. Very cute illustrations though...I love Caroline Jayne Church.
Chenoa
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I made the mistake of reading this on the same day that I read "Fletcher and the Falling Leaves." There's no contest. Fletcher is a much better telling of the same type of story, and honestly, much more interesting. And since this was published three years after "Fltecher" was, it felt sort of fishy how close the plot and story elements were. They were just much better executed in "Fletcher."
Teresa Garrett
This is a new fall story to me. Pip, the squirrel, is distressed when the leaves start falling off his tree. Wise mama squirrel comes along and explains why. Some of the illustrations were confusing to my younger students as it changes point of view from looking up through the branches at different points.
Kim
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, fall
When fall comes around, preschools typically request a ton of fall or leaf books, and to tell you the truth there aren't may great ones. This one is all right, but it's a bit long for my taste. By the time a child can sit through this book, I bet they've grasped the concept of falling leaves. Still, love the illustrations and the it's pretty sweet.
Robin
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pip the squirrel goes a little nuts when the leaves fall off the trees. He tries to put them back, to no avail. Mom squirrel explains how the leaves will come back in the spring, like the sun sets and comes back again . . . and the leaves are the color of the sunset. Appealing patterned, collage illustrations.
Julie
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This story was adorable, a young squirrel panics when the leaves on his tree change color and fall, but he feels better when his mother tells him all about autumn. (Reminded me of "Leaves" by: David Ezra Stein)
Shelby Royalty
This story is good for several purposes: it talks about the changing leaves and seasons, and it also talks about change and letting go. Overall, I enjoyed this book. I think it could help younger students understand fall leaves and changing seasons.
Kathryn
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is such fun, so colorful and little Pip is adorable. How can you not like a book that starts out:

A fresh breeze blew across
the woodland, tickling the
tall grass and trembling
the trees. Summer had left
and autumn had arrived.
Tricia
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Squirrels wage a battle to help a tree losing its leaves as they try to re-apply them to the branches. One of the best simple explanations of why trees lose their leaves that I've seen for preschoolers. Sweetly illustrated and related.
Christine Grant
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
It's fall and Squirrel has just discovered that his Oak Tree has been going through some changes. He and his sister try to put the falling leaves back on their branches but it isn't working!

October 2018. The kids didn't enjoy this one as much as I remembered. Let's give this a 3.5.

• The Little Yellow Leaf
  • The Very Noisy Night
  • Mouse's First Halloween
  • Acorns Everywhere!
  • Fox and Hen Together

Jonathan Emmett was born in Leicestershire in 1965, the son of a factory fitter and a primary school teacher.

Jonathan loved books from an early age and some of his earliest memories are of visiting his local library. The picture books that he borrowed then, including Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss and Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson h