Start by marking “Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)” as Want to Read:
Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)

Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice

(Skippyjon Jones)

The New York Times bestselling kitty boy blasts off into another hilarious adventure. Buckle up, amigos— everyone’s favorite kitty boy is about to lift off. You’ll want to be there when the brave Skippito gets lost in spice!

That’s right, spice. Skippy knows— from his big ears to his toes—that the planet Mars is red because it’s covered in spicy red pepper. To prove it, he’
Published September 22nd 2009 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice (Skippyjon Jones, #5)
Books Ring Mah Bell
Nov 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidsbooks
Hey you! Yes you, the one having unsafe sex! Knock it off or you'll be forced to read this kind of crap to a kid.

Words cannot adequately express my disdain for this book, but I'll try.

I HATE SKIPPYJON JONES! HATE HATE HATE!

First, he's a Siamese cat who thinks he's a "chi-wow-wow", which, perhaps he is. Maybe mama cat had a fling with the local "chi-wow-wow." Ugh.

Second, in this book he is referred to as Skippyjon Jones, Pinky Pie, Kitty Boy, Skippito Friskito, sometimes just Skippyjon, sometime
Nov 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Words can not express my hatred for this children's book. It is the most annoying book ever. ...more
Twinholly1
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
SkippyjonJones Lost in Spice by Judy Schachner is a cute, quirky adventure book by Scholastic Inc. Lost In Spice was my first introduction to the series and I can’t wait to read others. This books main character, SkippyjonJones; is a big eared, feisty, Siamese cat who channels his inner “Chi-wow-wow”. We learn his closet is a magical place where his “banditos” and him encounter all sorts of mischief. In this book he uses Mama June Bug's bottle of red spice, because red is his favorite color, to ...more
Katherine C. Hirstein
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019-reading
One was bad enough but apparently racial prejudice and insensitivity is the theme of this children's book series. ...more
Barbara
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun read that the kids really love. Spanish words thrown in, and even a sing along or two.

I was wondering, however, did anyone else catch the David Bowie, Space Oddity reference when Mama refers to her kitty boy as Major Tom? I read several of the reviews but didn't see any mention.
Laurie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
McCall Donnelly
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice is the story of a kitty boy with an obsession of the planet Mars. This kitty boy also believes that he is Spanish chihuahua dog. As his mom and sister make dinner, Skippyjon ventures into "spice" and meets his martian twin, Uno ojo. He is knocked all the way back to Earth after fighting Uno ojo for his sock monkey. Before bed, Skippyjon stares at the night sky and thinks about Mars and the Martians that he met that day.

The text of this book is interesting. It is mos
J-Lynn Van Pelt
This is the best developed Skippyjon Jones book yet. The story progresses logically, the Skippy songs are well placed to get the students involved in the story, even the Chimichango's song makes sense to the overall plot. Plus, the idea of Skippy meeting martians and getting into a tug of war makes for a fun story.

The book also uses more actual Spanish words instead of adding -o or -ito to the end of English words and pretending it makes them Spanish. This is the first book where I felt more com
Kristine Hall
"Dude, you don't need a space suit up here," said Poquito Tito. "You need a SPICE suit! Mars is covered in the chili powder, chico." And so it goes in this installment from my favorite cat-who-thinks-he's-a-chihuahua. I love how Skippyjon's imagination runs wild with his alter ego, Skippito, and I love how he adds --ito to the end of words to give them a Spanish flair. The drawings are adorable, the rhymes are fun, and I would challenge any adult to read this aloud (with even minimal enthusiasm) ...more
Kat
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: Skippyjon Jones goes on an expedition to Mars! Via his closet...

The Skippyjon Jones books continue to be amusing and well-written. Schachner has a formula, and by sticking to it she creates fun stories for little kids to follow (and fun for parents to read!) The art continues to be interesting and good but not as polished as I prefer. I guess I can't get everything I want.
Kim BookJunkie ~ Editor & Proofreader
My son is 10.5 years old yet we hang onto this book and read it together once in awhile because we love it so much. Judy schachner is brilliant and hilarious!
Siena Trehy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is both a picture book and an audiobook. My copy of this book came with a bonus CD, which I listened to with my young brothers. Skippy is a book written for imaginative elementary schoolers.

I chose to give this book 5 stars, because it is one of the most enjoyable picture books I have ever read. The young protagonist, a kitten named Skippyjon Jones, is not enthused by his sisters or his mothers plans for the evening, so he suits up to go on an imaginary trip to outer space. His favori
Meg McGregor
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-i-love
This little kitty has crawled right into my heart and has a permanent resting place there. I love Skippyjon!

The illustrations are wry and whimsical, the text poetic and lively, and it just makes me happy reading this to my little ones!

Skippy is a Siamese Cat who thinks he is a mighty chihuahua. His imagination has no limits and he is just the cutest little thing.

I especially am happy that little ones, who hear this, will be given an introduction to Spanish, in a very pleasing and memorable way!

S
Laquita Covington
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice is a hilarious children’s adventure story that would be a great read for grades K-2. The main character is Skippyjon Jones, a young and active Siamese cat that thinks he is a Chihuahua. In the book Skippyjon wants to be the first dog to bounce into space. Skippyjon is ready to take off on an adventurous trip to Mars, using a bottle of his mother’s red spice. When he first blasts off into space, Skippyjon meets up with his gang of friends, “Los Chimichangos”. The gan ...more
Angeleah
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
A young kitten who claims to be a Chihuahua is obsessed with going to Mars the red planet. He eventually gets there through the closet in his bedroom. There he meets lots of other dogs just like him and also some other green Martians on the red planet. Which leads to a small dispute which lands him back in his bedroom. In this particular tale, you have Skippyjon Jones a siamese cat who looks much like a chihuahua, his mother, and three sisters, some amigos on Mars, and a Martian that is what see ...more
Rebecca Nevling
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love all the Skippyjon Jones books by Judy Schachner! Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat with big ears and a BIG imagination. In Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice, Skippyjon Jones borrows Mama's red spice to ignite his journey through his closet into space. While he's in his imaginary world, he runs into some old friends and a family of Verde (Green) Martians. With the exception of being green and having only one eye, the little martian looks just like Skippyjon Jones!
This book is fun to read for b
Andrea Gonzalez
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Skippyjon Jones is a Siamese cat that goes on an adventure to prove that the planet Mars is red. I was quickly annoyed with the ending of -ito that was in the book. It seemed very repetitive for me and wasn’t appealing. Although it does include Spanish words in the book I certainly wouldn’t consider it to be a bilingual book. I wouldn’t want to include it in the classroom due to students might think adding -ito at the end of every word will automatically make it a Spanish word and it encourages ...more
Julivete Skelton
Last summer I worked for a YMCA kids day camp and my youngest campers loved this book so much that I read it aloud to them almost everyday. The cadence of this book is fun to read and it’s easy to make it exciting! Skippyjon Jones is a silly little cat that likes to go on adventures. He’s a little mischievous but has the best imagination. In this book he goes on a space adventure. This book is so fun to read and it even includes some Spanish vocabulary so it’s a great way to introduce another la ...more
Megan Powell
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
This is another cute book! It is definitely for early elementary kids. I found this book when one of the kindergarteners at my work had me read it to them one day. This is another book that has quite a bit of rhyming in it and it also has Spanish words so that can introduce some culture to the students! I liked this book when I read it the first time and the rest of the books in the series are really cute too.
Ryan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve never been a big fan of Skippyjon Jones and this book is part of the reason why. I love the imagination, the hyperactive cat, and the illustrations. But the story always seems lacking to me. This is not lost in Space, it’s lost in Spice because Mars is made of chili powder. I can not exactly explain my dislike, all I can say is I rarely finish a book because it feels like it drones on and never gets to the point.
Melissa Namba
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnamba, coplin
a cute book that my nieces and nephews will enjoy. but is there anyone else concerned that this book might be seen as racist? skippyjon is a cat who wants to be a dog and speaks in an accent when he pretends to be a dog. also he eats south American inspired foods. this time he goes to Mars and meets a martian. and his sisters are not that nice.
Shawn Deal
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Skippyjon Jones is a very clever cat with a huge imagination. Often it thinks of itself as a dog, because seemingly dogs are free to have more fun. Wonderfully illustrated and with a good smattering of Spanish words, this is a fun book series. In this book, Skippyjon heads to the red planet of Mars and meets aliens all using his imagination.
Dianne Butts
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Again, funny, funny, funny! So original. I didn't know a few of the words in Spanish but I did catch most of them. What an imagination this author has!

Recommended for your little ones. Noticed some of the humor is for adults -- like the reference to Major Tom and the "one small step...for Chihuahuas." I like it.

Got this at Kohl's for their Cares program.
Beth
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Skippyjon Jones anything is a must read at least 100 times over. The imagination and language is phenomenal. Love the rhyming, singing, everything about these books. If you have children I promise they will love Skippyjon Jones! This one focuses on things that are out of this world. Adorable.
Courtney Heard
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
If your kid is interested in space and astronauts, this is definitely a book for your kid to read about mars. Caution they might get some silly ideas and want to try some of the things that happens in the book.

Six + 1Traits: presentation
DRA Level: 30
Lexile: AD610L
Debbie
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Skippyjon Jones is back and his imagination gets him in more trouble than ever. The Siamese kitten who dreams of being a superhero chihuahua rides his imagination all the way to Mars for a super-spicy adventure. For extra fun, read this one out loud to a child you love.
Air
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This wasn't my favorite in the series - it was still cute, but definitely not the best. One of my favorite parts of this series is the picture of a real chihuahua in the mirror when Skippy jumps by, so I was disappointed to find that it was a cartoon one in this. ...more
Ashlee Richards
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Skippyjon Jones Lost in Spice is a book that teaches children about rhymes, wordplay, and Spanish phrases through visual representations. I believe children would enjoy reading this book because children will find it amusing that a chihuahua travels to Mars and includes colorful illustrations.
Shelby Rollenhagen
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rowan, julien
These books are simply darling. Both of my kids love to listen to them. (Age 2 and 8)
Lauren
I feel like this one was all over the place.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
members 1 5 Oct 25, 2012 12:15PM

• If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
  • A Chair for My Mother
  • Splat the Cat
  • If I Ran the Zoo
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, #1)
  • The Grouchy Ladybug
  • Bear Snores On
  • The Other Side
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back (The Cat in the Hat, #2)
  • The Chicken Who Couldn't
  • I Like Myself!
  • Where's Waldo?
  • Little Excavator
See top shelves…
"I was the last child and only daughter born to Edward and Mary Francis Byron on August 20th, 1951 in the city of Waltham, Massachusetts. My oldest brother Ted was very good at art and my middle brother Kevin kept me laughing with his funny stories.

Growing up we didn't have much money. My mother was very ill, and to make matters worse, I was extremely shy. All my teachers complained that "Judith n

Skippyjon Jones (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Skippyjon Jones
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble (Skippyjon Jones, #3)
  • Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones (Skippyjon Jones, #4)
  • Skippyjon Jones, Class Action