Start by marking “Giants of the Frost” as Want to Read:
Giants of the Frost

Giants of the Frost

(Europa #2)

Taking a job on an isolated island in the Sea of Norway, scientist Victoria Scott wants a quiet place to finish her doctoral thesis. But Victoria isn't prepared for the strange shadows outside her cabin window, the rumors of a murderous hag who sucks one's soul during sleep, and the tales of mythic monsters lurking in the forest. More frightening than the islands nightmari ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Giants of the Frost, please sign up.
Anna Yes. Each book plays with elements of European mythology/fairy tales but is centred around different characters and in different locations. I've yet…moreYes. Each book plays with elements of European mythology/fairy tales but is centred around different characters and in different locations. I've yet to read volume 1 and am currently enjoying this volume.(less)
The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonRunemarks by Joanne HarrisThe Poetic Edda by AnonymousThe Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-HollandOdd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman
Norse Mythology
240 books — 359 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Series Box Set by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Fantasy Books
1,379 books — 1,538 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Giants of the Frost turned out to be a slow read, but it was a very good book. I think that the use of Norse mythology was well done. I appreciate how Ms. Wilkins took Norse mythology and folklore and created something novel with these elements as a basis.

Although it took me a while to get sucked into the romantic aspects, admittedly a big part of this book, I enjoyed reading about the characters: Victoria, Vidar, Aud, and Loki, whose fates are entwined rather deeply. I also appreciated the seco
Echo
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Of the books I've read so far this year, this is one of my favorites. The characters were amazing, the story was so intriguing I didn't want to put it down, and the writing was absolutely beautiful. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends who enjoy fantasy novels.
Jessi
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jessi by: Jeni
Kim Wilkins is one of my new favorite authors. My sister recommended her books years ago and I didn't get around to reading them until now.

I enjoyed Giants of the Frost even more than The Autumn Castle because the main characters were smarter and thus more likable. Wilkins is very good at giving all of her characters depth. The plot moved along at an excellent pace. I loved the ties to Norse mythology. There were many interesting creatures, places, people, and items in this one because a good po
Claudi Feldhaus
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spannend, mystisch, romantisch ... wieder mal alles dran, was ein großartiges Buch braucht.
Savannah
Dec 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
The prose is lifeless, even when the protagonists claim to be overwrought. Much talking about emotions; not so much conveying them to the reader. Too much plot tension; not enough plot. Yawn.

Really, the only reason my eyes were exposed to all of the pages was flip*flip*flip.

For someone who likes the tedious genre of folktale-inspired leaden re-enactment, this will be just fine. And while it's a romance, the sex is inexplicit enough to feel okay handing the book over to any but the most sheltere
Elizabeth Mueller
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Kim is so good at creating a world and making it real. I cried. I laughed. I vouched for my favorite characters. This book left me feeling good.

This is my second time I've read it.
Jo
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is as much a romance as a thriller or a mystery. I loved every moment of it, and fell in love with Vidar in a way I wouldn't have throught possible.

I loved the intertwined threads of plots and fates, the cuts between Asgard and Earth, and the stories of passion gone in unforeseen directions.

As I was reading, I found myself growing every more concerned about the ending. It seemed impossible that the story could end happily, but I was concerned that a tragic ending would make me feel that th
Kristīne
Jun 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I got as far as the middle and just had to say no and mark as dnf.

The premise was good, the characters were compelling at first but the more I read the less I enjoyed it. and to be honest I didn't expect it to get so frustrating to deal with, not just the characters, but plot wise some things were not well executed.

I got so tired of waiting for Victoria and Vidar to meet and when they did it turned out to be really disappointing.

The switching point of views didn't help the matter either.

Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
In thirty-five pages, there was 1) a love triangle revealed, wherein one of the possible couplings is entirely unlikely. 2) the words "two defenseless women" were used un-ironically. 3) despite claims of being entirely uninterested in love, the main character knows the eligibility of all the men, despite 4) all of the women hate her and all the men want her. I am officially out. Thirty-five pages was all it took-- even Norse mythology isn't worth this poorly disguised Twilight crap.
Alisa Kester
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not hugely interested in Norse mythology, but the premise of this book seemed too good to pass up. A lonely, isolated island, populated only by a scant handful of weather researchers, and haunted by the old hag who comes in our nightmares to sit on our chests and suck our breath...oh yeah, I can forgive a few Norse gods for a plot like this! And none of it disappointed; this was a solidly fascinating and unusual love story, full of legend and pathos.
Sheri
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I had to pull myself through parts of this book but ultimately when I completed it I was very satisfied with the story. Kim wraps up all the loose ends nicely and she had a bit in the book with Loki, my favorite Norse God. I borrowed this book from a friend and wound up buying a copy for myself. It has a lot of detail and characters but I managed to not get too lost.
Amelia Rockliff
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nafiza
May 19, 2016 marked it as zz-dnf  ·  review of another edition
Putting it on hold because I am not feeling it at the moment.
Emily Mcleod
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down one of my all time favourite books. I so clearly remember the day I got this, I was too poor to afford a full price novel, despite visiting the bookstore everyday for hours on end, it was $10 in a sale bin out the front and I grabbed it and loved the storyline. I still think about reading it for the first time when I see the book on my shelf.

I loved the story, this is possibly my first introduction to viking mythology and Scandinavian folklore, as well as the interweaving of mythology
Buffy
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memories streamed through him: blood and fire and the helpless shrieks of mortal suffering. "There is no love, Vidar," his father had said. "There is only fate."

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful book! So far, I've only read two books that are based on or have Norse mythology incorporated into them and I've adored them both. The thing that has always intrigued me about any type of mythology is that not everyone gets a happy ending. I'd like to take a moment to say that I'm not against happy endings
Kim
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook. New to me author, not really my genre but a good story. The narrator was amazing and brought the book to life. I thought the book was too long. It was a MF paranormal story.
Karissa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it

I have had this book to read for quite some time. I first read Kim Wilkins in the Dreaming Again anthology released in 2008. I immediately went out and picked out Giants of the Frost and The Autumn Castle. I thought the Autumn Castle was okay, but not great. Giants of the Frost was also in the “okay but not great” category. It moves pretty slowly. It’s advertised as an urban fantasy but really doesn’t fit in that genre all that well.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was okay. Som
Jean
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was first drawn to this book by it's once-in-a-blue-moon beautiful cover and the promise of Norse mythology, for which I have a soft spot.

The story of lost, unrequited, and reincarnated love didn't grab me in the slightest, in fact their sappy dialog inspired such gut-reaction level snark, but I still devoured this book and loved ever minute of it. I think it is partly the intrigue, mystery, and ever present threat of discovery built up around the core story; partly the rich and detailed world
Jill
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Giants of the Frost took me by surprise for a few reasons. First, I didn't expect such a gripping, entertaining story. Second, I wasn't prepared for the author's mad skills. And third, I had no idea that reading it would launch my Kim Wilkins collection from zero to ten books owned in a matter of weeks!

The Norse mythology elements appealed to me when I initially added this (Odin, Thor, and Loki tend to keep things interesting), but I ended up being just as engrossed in the modern-day elements. Y
Esteé Hallatt
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Victoria's on an island, far away from home in order to get away from her ordinary life and its past romantic disappointments...but it soon takes a mythical - and often dark, turn not long after her start at a new job.

One of my uncles recommended the book to me a few years ago after we saw the movie Thor together. I was hesitant to read it at first, because I liked the movie, but I'm definitely not its number one fan. Now I'm so glad I finally read it. I loved this book!

P.S. I get that I was sup
Rasheta
May 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book more then I did, I am big on reading about the Norse gods and reading about different Pantheons. I just didn't like the book, I didn't care for how it was written or well anything about it. I did kind of like Victoria her internal monologues were funny occasionally. The rest of the book...meh not so much. I didn't really connect to Vidar or Aud, I couldn't figure out what Loki's game was he let Aud have her son back, but not sure what happened with that otherwise next ...more
Sonia
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, have
I wasn't completely won over until about halfway into this novel, but once the action began, I was hooked. Although the writing was strong, I felt especially drawn to the characters. Wilkins was able to ascribe to each character a distinct and unique personality. There was also a noticeable change in language between the Asgard and Midgard scenes, like stepping from the past into the future.

Although the novel is mostly serious and slightly dark, Wilkins was also able to infuse many of the scenes
Vanessa Hutchinson
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
While I enjoyed this book and felt that it was neatly written with good pacing I give it only two stars. At a point the characters became flat and I started to feel it had become formulaic. Vidar becomes the recognisable male protagonist you find in romances who has to be with the female protagonist at all costs. The cost seems to be their inner life. Some of the minor characters, such as Skripi, are just great.
All the correct plot devices are in place to carry the story and drive it along at a
Anna
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jill Myles
Dec 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I really, really wanted to like this so much more than I did. It read as more of an introspective sort of contemporary fantasy, and I was really hoping for...I'm not sure what. More romance? More mythology? At any rate, it wasn't the book I was looking for. It was, however, extremely well written and entertaining, so I hold to the fact that it was me more than this book.
Rebekah Buckman
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! If you enjoy supernatural romance, you will enjoy it too. I like the blend of the old Norse Gods and characters from today. I enjoyed the writing style, it kept my reading late into the night, but I would then dream of the Hag coming to get me! Overall an enjoyable romantic read.
Miss
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Miss by: Drawdet Terv Terv
I enjoyed this story and liked the mixture of the Ancient Norse mixed in with the present day. But thought the ending wasn't so good. Victoria's fate and where she ended up didnt make any sense to the rest of the book
Davina
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book had a good storyline unfortunately it had some really slow bits which made it easy to put down and not so easy to pick back up. The last hundred pages were good. I didn't really love the main characters which made it hard aswell but some of the miner characters were good.
Susan Olds
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I admit I picked up this book purely for entertainment and the winter theme. But I was engrossed right away. The author delves into Norse mythology, reincarnation, love and loss and redemption. Although dubbed a romance, it is more aptly called a fantasy-sci fi.
Karen
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed The Autumn Castle and this book was even better. I loved all of the Norse mythology, but even more so the characters and the story line were compelling and made me want to keep reading and really care about what happened to all of the characters. This is a really good book!
  • Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster
  • Ice Land
  • Norse Code
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • Loki: Why I Began the End
  • Runemarks (Runemarks, #1)
  • Mirrorscape
  • Wolfsangel (The Wolfsangel Cycle #1)
  • Rhinegold
  • Hundreds of Years to Reform a Rake
  • Mortals & Deities (Genesis of Oblivion, #2)
  • Spirited Away
  • The Medusa Prophecy (Medusa Project #4)
  • The Blood Countess (Pandora English, #1)
  • Huset i Eldafjord (Sagaen om Isfolket, #26)
  • Surrendering All But Her Heart
  • Gifts from the Gods: Ancient Words and Wisdom from Greek and Roman Mythology
  • Mist (Midgard, #1)
Also writes under the name of Kimberley Freeman.

Europa (3 books)
  • The Autumn Castle (Europa, #1)
  • The Veil of Gold
“I have loved ... and love infuses everything else, infuses confusion and the blankness and the fear of emptiness, and brings to it a glimmer of meaning. Enough meaning to move forward, to keep moving...” 7 likes
“I’ve no intention of sitting by the fire on such a beautiful day,” Loki sad.
“Then let us walk in the woods.”
“Walk? Wouldn’t you rather ride with me?” “I couldn’t keep up.” “No,” he said, grasping her elbow gently. “With me. On Heror.” He whistled loudly and Heror turned and walked toward them.

A shiver of fear frosted her skin. She was uncomfortable on horseback - preferred her feet on the ground-let alone a fast powerful beast like Heror with Loki at the reins. “I’m not sure…”
“Didn’t you say you would keep me company? Come.”
“Must we go very fast?”
Loki laughed his wild laugh. “Of course we must!”
With swift grace, he mounted Heror, then put down his hand for her. “Come, Aud. Don’t be frightened. You may trust me.”
Trust Loki? Aud almost laughed. She wondered if Vidar would appreciate her actions when she told him this evening. “Very well,’ she said. She tied her skirts around her hips and, reaching up, allowed Loki to help her onto Heror’s back.
“Hold on tight,” Loki said, slapping her thigh playfully. Aud needed no prompting. She locked her arms about his waist, her hands tight over his hollow stomach. No warmth emanated from his body. His black hair caught against her cheek and lip. She screwed her eyes tightly closed.
Heror need little encouragement from Loki. Almost as soon as they were settled, he sped off like lightning. Aud cracked open one eye to see where they were going, but hurriedly closed it when the branches of the wood loomed close enough to terrify her and the shadows between the trees flew past like wild ghosts. She tightened her grip on Loki’s ribs wishing they were not so narrow and cool. From time to time, she could feel his body shake with mad laughter. Their journey, while it probably only lasted twenty minutes, seemed interminable as she willed him and willed him to slow down. Finally she felt Loki pull on Heror’s reins. The horse slowed to a walk, and she ventured to open her eyes.
They had left the woods and were entering a sunlit field of waving grass, daisies and orange hawkweed. Heror stopped, they dismounted and Loki sent the horse off to cool down. Aud’s legs were shaking too much to stand so she sank into the grass, feeling the warm sunshine fill her hair.
Loki sat next to her and began idly to pick daisies. “Did you enjoy our ride, Aud?”
“No,” she answered, taking a deep breath and stilling her trembling hands.
“I’ll try harder on the way home,” He said reaching over to twine a daisy in her hair.”
2 likes