Start by marking “The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)

The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand #4)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,159 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
One afternoon in May, Zoe Duncan's thirteen-year-old daughter goes missing from her own backyard. The police think Samantha ran away because she's unhappy about her mother's upcoming marriage—but Zoe doesn't believe it. In fact, she's willing to do anything to bring Sam home, even if it means losing her job, her beautiful home, her fiancé. Even if it means divulging all he ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Mira (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Couple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Couple

Maria Clara
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decir que me ha parecido una novela perfecta, quizá sería un poco exagerado; pero sólo quizás. Creo que una de las cosas más difíciles de lograr al escribir una novela, es caracterizar a los personajes hasta hacerlos reales; y más si hablamos de un psicópata. Y Novak lo ha conseguido con un realismo perfecto! Es más, no le doy las cinco estrellas, porque quiero que me sorprenda aún más con sus otros libros.
jenjn79
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Becky
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by Novak and I don't think it'll be my last. The Perfect Couple is the first book in a 3 book series. It's a touchy subject, being mostly about the kidnap and torture of teenage children. It was an emotional roller-coaster for me as the reader with many ups, downs and quick twists.

This isn't one of those where you're constantly trying to figure out who the bad guy is. You already know right from the start who he is. The suspense part comes in with wondering when everyone el
willaful
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: bye, skanky-villains
A pretty good story, well paced and suspenseful, though quite light on the romance. I was kind of intrigued by the backstory of the heroine, Zoe, a somewhat lost and downtrodden young mother with a history of unsuccessful relationships. As the story begins, she is trying to get ahead in life through marriage to a wealthy man and unfortunately, we never do get a chance to see whether she will pull her life together on her own.

But my biggest complaint is that everyone in the story is so gullible a
Pam
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book it's a bit dark but I loved it
Katherine
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5

After being raped at the age of 15, Zoe couldn't imagine what could happen to her daughter 13 years later in the nice suburbs she managed to get in.
Zoe was always poor. Her mom left when she was a newborn, and her father took care of her as much as an addict and sometimes drug dealer could. She got pregnant at 15 when she was raped in her dad's trailer by a junky. She kept her baby, and fought to raise her good. Now she' engaged to a nice and good man and is finally able to provide her daught
Meigan
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love a good lunatic, and this book had a nice pair of 'em.

Zoe Duncan's 13 year old daughter, Sam, goes missing. Zoe and her fiance are beside themselves and immediately contact the police. There are no leads. Skye from the Last Stand charity (Skye was introduced in a previous Last Stand novel, Trust Me) contacts Jonathan Stivers, a PI involved with the charity, to help Zoe find her daughter. Still no leads. Colin and Tiffany Bell are the "perfect" neighbors, and Colin immediately rushes to Zo
Cheryl
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Colin and his wife, Tiffany are the perfect couple. They are nice, thoughtful and ready and willing to lend a helping hand when needed. Well that is what they want you to think.

Zoe Duncan came home to discover her daughter, Samantha missing. Zoe contacts the authorities but they aren’t taking her serious at this time. Even Zoe’s boyfriend believes Sam ran away. Zoe has a mother’s instinct and she feels it in her heart that something terrible has happened to her daughter.

Jonathan Stivers is a p
Colleen
Apr 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
As a parent, this book was so disturbing. Unfortunately, it's about something that could happen to anyone (and I think it did a good job bringing that point to light). The evil villians in this book (the perfect couple) were just plain sick. Novak did an excellent job putting you in their heads. What a bunch of whack jobs! Unfortunately, it just proves that people you think are normal on the outside are the worst child predators.

I enjoyed the relationship between Jonathan and Zoe. They didn't r
Marianchu
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Otra buena historia de la serie Ángeles Vengadores. Me ha gustado mucho como se ha ido enrevesando la historia e incluso hay un momento en el que no le ves solución y al final la autora consigue darle un desenlace a la altura de la trama.
A destacar una vez más la mente pérfida y retorcida de los malos.
Mi puntuación 8.
Pamela(AllHoney)
To describe this book in one word? Disturbing! Not an easy book, especially for those with children. The villians are downright creepy. The romance wasn't what I had hoped for and left me a little dissatisified at the end. I can only hope the future books revisit them and let us know how they are doing. But it still grabbed me and held on to see the outcome.
Joan Harris
Apr 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Too gory
Passion For Books
RECENSIONE DI “ LA RAGAZZA SCOMPARSA” DI BRENDA NOVAK
Ci sono orrori difficili da immaginare; crudeltà difficili da accettare; mostri che si nascondono dietro un’apparente normalità ed insospettabilità.
Sacramento, California. In un tranquillo pomeriggio di primavera, in un quartiere tranquillo e sicuro, la tredicenne Samantha è a casa da sola in convalescenza. Di lì a poco, Samantha scompare nel nulla, inghiottita da un incubo senza fine. Inizialmente, si pensa ad una sparizione volontaria. Saman
Lisa
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Perfect Couple is book four in Brenda Novak's Last Stand series. Although this book reads well as a stand alone, I would recommend reading the previous books first.
I really enjoyed this book, as usual Brenda Novak's writing didn't disappoint me. However, I do feel the romance of the story really wasn't the focus even though it is considered Romantic Suspense. A large portion of the book is about our villains and their story, making this more of a physiological thriller. I do enjoy
Valorie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That was something else...smh........Tiffany and Colin were two of the sickest people. How do you do that to a human being?........how does a wife go along and join in to her husbands depraved behavior.......poor Toby,Samantha and Zoe. I couldn’t feel too sorry for Paddy because he knew how his son was deep down and did nothing....... At times though, I thought Zoe was a little naive..... I’m sure she understood the signs and continuously ignored them.....and on top of that didn’t tell anyone(no ...more
Monica
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was good book to go with the The Last Stand Series. I did feel the ending was rushed. We also don't get the kind of HEA ending that is typical in Brenda Novak's books. You knew where it was going at the end but it still not the same to get the full effect of it. I am hoping that The Perfect Liar has the satisfying ending for Jonathan and Zoe that I crave in this book.
Lynn Hill
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have never read any of Brenda Novak’s books I’m here to tell you, you really need to! This one is so full of everything that you could want in a book. It is a page turner and you will want to stay up all night to finish it! It is a MUST READ!
Debbie Slater
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charlene
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
another real page turner by Brenda Novak! I love this series! Very suspenseful and heart wrenching. Loved this book
Diana McVicker
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story!! Love all Brenda's books!!
Elissa
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Another great book. I was on the edge of my seat for several chapters. I could not get to the end fast enough to find out what happened.
Melissa
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Would have been a five star read but for the ending. It wasn't a cliffhanger, but definitely left an epilogue to be desired.
Pam H
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: save-me, amazon, rsus, 2017
I really wanted to like Jonathan with Zoe but they just didn't work in my head.
There just wasn't the heat between them that you felt in the previous books in this series. He rolled over on his feelings for Sheridan too easily.

The story was good - Novak does creepy suspense well. I couldn't help but feel bad for Tiffany she was beyond desperate for love.
Pat Cromwell
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
It was so good that I not only have the paperback but I also purchased the ebook. The only reason I didn't give it a five star is because I never give five stars. From the very first line this book steam rolls to the last. At the end of the first chapter I was giddy! This book is by far the best of the Last Stand series. The good news is book 5 and 6 are scheduled for Sept and Oct of 2009 for release.

As I read it I was shocked - literally - that it is a MIRA Book. This is the kind of book that
Linda
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a bizarre story about a strange perfect couple. At least that was what the neighbors thought before Zoe Duncan's daughter went missing from her home in an upscale neighborhood. Jonathan Stivers is working pro bono for The Last Stand when he was asked to help with this case. The storyline was intriguing and suspenseful.
Kelly Moran
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
*NOTE: This was reviewed for the Amazon Vine program and not for Bookpleasures.

Author Brenda Novak is a New York Times best-selling author, with her books receiving critical acclaim and enthusiastic responses from readers. When she’s not writing, she’s working on her annual diabetes fundraiser. She resides in Sacramento with her husband and five children.
A mother faces her greatest fear and a detective faces his hardest case. Zoe Duncan’s thirteen-year-old daughter went missing from her own ba
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
3.0 out of 5 stars Short on suspense and heavy on romance, December 5, 2009

This review is from: The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand) (Mass Market Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?)
This was a fast-paced but predictable thriller with way too much romance for me. I liked the premise: attractive young couple next door as murdering pair of psychos -- but the whole angle involving the "love at first glance" bit between the mother of the kidnapped girl and the privat
Elle (Ligia)
I'm not really sure how to rate this book just yet.

The Perfect Couple was good as it was disturning. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, not when you're writing from the bad guy's point of view. And let me tell you, he was a twisted son of a bee! Just remembering it gives me the creeps!

The suspense was big, it kept me on the edge of my seat all through the end. God, I was freaking out. Majorly! The romance was there too, and it was enough to keep me going, that's for sure. Without it I would
Suzanne Barrett
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I admit to being a huge Brenda Novak fan, so reviewing her books is definitely a pleasure and not a chore. In her latest Last Stand book, Ms. Novak delves into the psyche of her antagonists, particularly the character Tiffany.

The Perfect Couple is different in that the reader knows who the villains are by the end of the first chapter. The how and why make for very interesting reading, and it is the probing the depths of Tiffany's persona that is most intriguing. ( Tiffany will remind you of the
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • Hunt Her Down (Bullet Catcher, #7)
  • The Rapids (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #3)
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
  • Dark and Deadly
  • Cut Throat (Cat Dupree, #2)
  • No One Left to Tell (No One, #2)
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • Seeing Red
  • You Can Run...
  • Dead Even (Dead #3; John Mancini #5)
  • Show No Fear (SEAL Team 12, #7)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

The Last Stand (6 books)
  • Trust Me (The Last Stand, #1)
  • Stop Me (The Last Stand, #2)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)