Start by marking “Can You Make a Scary Face?” as Want to Read:
Can You Make a Scary Face?

Can You Make a Scary Face?

What kind of a face would you make if a tickly green bug were sitting on your nose? Or if it were-eek!-inside your shirt? Could you make a scary face to frighten it away? Or, even better, stand up and do the chicken dance? Yes? Then better get to it! This exuberant, interactive picture book starring a bossy little ladybug and a GIANT hungry frog will have kids leaping up a ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Can You Make a Scary Face?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can You Make a Scary Face?

Start your review of Can You Make a Scary Face?
The Library Lady
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
WARNING:if you're the sort of librarian/teacher/parent, who wants your kids to sit sedately with their hands in their laps while you read them a dear little book, don't so much as LOOK at this book, let alone try to read it to a group.

On the other hand, if, like me, your motto is "I thrive on chaos" and there's nothing more fun than getting your kids involved in a story, you'll have a blast with this one!
Ariel Cummins
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great book for storytime! A silly bug does an excellent job telling the listener and readers to stand up, sit down, and pretend all kinds of things.

Bright, bold illustrations made for reading out loud splash over the pages of this book.

The built in active participation is great for getting wiggly kids involved in story time. Super fun!
Caleb
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Caleb (age 4): "Make sure you have your mom read this one to you. It's scary, but it's less scary when she reads it."
Laura McLoughlin
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think I read this 15 times yesterday, so Kathryn would recommend it. We both got quite good at making our scary faces.
Teri
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about fun reading it outloud. I LOVE to read fun engaging interactive stories with a lively attitude and THIS fits the bill.
Not overly written to make youngers kids lose interest, but a simple dialog that is perfect for the toddler\preschools age group.
My 2 year old giggled from the 2nd page all the way to the end and topped that off with a bunch of "1 MO PEAS!!!"
I think he enjoyed me acting everything out in an upbeat manner with him as much as the story.
Not
Heidi-Marie
Love it! This will be a great intro book for a storytime.

10/30/10 A perfect beginning book at the Pumpkin Palooza storytime. It got the older kids into the storytime immediately, catered to the young children, and was just a fun way to start things off.

4/7/11 Excellent in both toddler storytimes. We stood the whole time in the first group, which may have caused some attention to wane a bit. So in the second I had them sit back down. But it still was great!

10/2
Susan
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
A cute book, but I think the enjoyment of it would depend largely on how willing the child(ren) and reader are to get into the actions of the story. As a child, I likely would not have done the actions, not so much so because of self-consciousness as because I would have resisted following the arbitrary orders of a cartoon ladybug.
Library Quine

F
This book is like a chaotic version of the game Simon Says in the form of a story, BUT MORE FUN! This is NOT a book for sitting still to, but if you want kids to participate and play along, this is the best book ever!
Kate Hastings
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PreK-K, movement pretending participation
Pre-K to K. My new favorite music and movement book. Great for participation and pretending.
Erin
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Perfect for storytime.
Megan Hornberger
I will find a way to use all Jan Thomas books in storytimes. These are so great!
Bethe
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #61. Might could use this one for a scary theme story time, be sure to use it for an interactive story time! Kids mad at least this adult love Jan Thomas!
Leslie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another hit for Story Time.
Natalie Mauro
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a picture book intended for young children ages 2-6. This is a wonderfully fun book that really encourages children to have fun, get silly and even a little loud! . Children must pretend that there is a tickly bug crawling on them and they must make a scary face to get rid of it. I like this book because of how silly it is. I've read this book multiple times over the years to my students. I like that it encourages children to use their imagination and become interactive. After all, child ...more
Marc Ford
Nov 04, 2013 is currently reading it
Can You Make a Scary Face by Jan Thomas is a very fun book. This is another Simon says book that has the reader act out parts of the story. It starts off with a Lady bug giving directions and has a little fun with the reader by making them stand, sit, and stand again. Later the ladybug has the reader dancing and making a scary faces. I think this book is great because it makes the reader a character in the story. I can see why children really like these books as it makes them part of the story a ...more
Prince William Public Library System
Anything by Jan Thomas is hilarious, but this one is my favorite. I read it to preschoolers during storytime and to elementary kids during school visits. My young niece and nephew love it. In this simply illustrated picture book, kids have to pretend there is a bug stuck in their mouth and then their shirt, and have to perform all the action to try and get rid of it. And then a giant hungry frog shows up!
-Tracy M.

Click here to find the book at the Prince William County Public Library Sy
Tim Protiva
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-storytime
What kind of a face would you make if a tickly green bug were sitting on your nose? Or if it were—eek!—inside your shirt? Could you make a scary face to frighten it away? Or, even better, stand up and do the chicken dance? Yes? Then better get to it! This exuberant, interactive picture book starring a bossy little ladybug and a GIANT hungry frog will have kids leaping up and down and out of their seats to dance and make silly scary faces of their own. This is one of my go-to titles for storytime ...more
Robyn Jones
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
I love Jan Thomas. So much in fact that I wrote her and told her how much my son and I love her children's books. Her Rhyming Dust Bunnies has done wonders for my son's confidence in learning to read. And Can You Make a Scary Face? is a wonderful addition to our library. The story is short, but incorporates pretending, following directions, and associating reading with playing. I told my son I wrote to the author to thank her and he said, "What did Jan Thomas say?" It has to mean something if a 5 year old k ...more
Christine Turner
What kind of a face would you make if a tickly green bug were sitting on your nose? Or if it were eek inside your shirt? Could you make a scary face to frighten it away? Or, even better, stand up and do the chicken dance? Yes? Then better get to it This exuberant, interactive picture book starring a bossy little ladybug and a GIANT hungry frog will have kids leaping up and down and out of their seats to dance and make silly scary faces of their own.

Subjects

Imagination -- Juve
...m...
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-o-lit
This book was just ok for my 4 year old. Then again -- if we had read it as a mid-day or after dinner book - she may respond to it and enjoy it more than as a just-before-bed book.
The brightly colored pages did grab her attention. She liked following the requests of the ladybug throughout the book. Although, at one point - she took her eyes off the pages and looked at me like, "Really? Do I have to?"...haha
I would recommend reading this one during playtime. Would be a great one to lead up
Sandy
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one active book. This lady bug has you standing up wiggling, blowing, dancing so if you want a book to get you going, this one will definitely be the one. The words jump right off the page at you with bright bold print and his energetic features will definitely get you in the mood. So “Hey you! Yes, I’m talking to you! Stand up!” get moving if you want to read this book. “Okay. Are you ready? Let’s pretend!”
Camille
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Just like Charlie Cook's Favorite book, I use this book as a regular storytime element. I have a segment I call Second Story Stretch, where after I read the first two stories, the kids and I get up and do some sort of movement. Sometimes I play Clap Your Hands by There Might Be Giants, sometimes we go on a bear hunt, and sometimes I read this book. Its a fun interactive non-story where the character is talking directly to the audience, telling them what to do.
Kristen
SO MUCH FUN! This book was crazy popular in my toddler story time. The kids loved following the directions, giggled, and really had fun with it. The illustrations are great, the dialogue is clear and simple, and I can already tell this is going to be a great go-to book for story time. I'm excited to try it during my preschool story time, too!

Edit:
I tried this in preschool story time--a hit there, as well!
Lynne
I cannot wait to read this to my story time kids and my granddaughter! I had so much fun reading Thomas's Rhyming Dust Bunnies, which is one of my favorites, aloud last spring, and I think they will like this one even more! The simple, bold illustrations and text lend themselves to sharing with an audience. And this story becomes an audience participation event as readers are told to stand up, wiggle their noses, and make a scary face (of course).
Ubalstecha
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Jan Thomas is a genius when it comes to pre-school literature. She produces books with bright illustrations that appeal to children. The simply structured text is also easy for the age group to understand and memorize.

This book has the reader following a set of instructions given by the narrator, standing up, sitting down, wiggling the nose. It is when a frog menaces our bug narrator that we are asked to make a scary face.
Josie B.
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I combined this with Michael Rosen's Tiny Little Fly and and the rhyming nonfiction "Flies" from the Creepy Critter's series in a buggy storytime for 4 & 5 year olds. Its humor and length were right on target for this age group. Interactive books like this are great for nurturing print motivation, the enjoyment of books and reading.
Evan
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kids love this book, and I do too! This book is all about action, and has kids up and down within the first few pages. Another thing I like about this book is that it encourages imaginative play by having listeners pretend. Very large, colorful and basic illustrations will have kids interested in the pages but the directive text is really what they'll have fun with.
Rosa Cline
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a clever very simple book. Perfect book to interact with little ones with. It will make them stand up, sit down, wiggle their nose, make a screy face all the while making them giggle and laugh. If you're looking for an interactive book that is simple to read and the kids will like this one would be it.
Dana
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Can You Make a Scary Face is not a sit quietly and listen sort of book. It's a stand up, sit down, wiggle, and do-whatever-the-bossy-ladybug-tell-you-to-do sort of book, and a crowd-pleaser. And of course, when you make a scary face, you simply have to roar. With Jan Thomas' bold, bright artwork, this simple book is always a favorite, despite the awkward ending.
Heather
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Revision age estimates down—this kills with baby/toddler too, so ages 0-6. Read today as part of our big storytime and I still love it every bit as much.

Absolutely perfect for ages 3-6. Great to get out the wiggles. Make sure to read quickly for maximum effect. Was a fun addition to a Halloween storytime.

• Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Bark, George
  • The Cow Loves Cookies
  • Grumpy Bird
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Tap the Magic Tree
  • Don't Push the Button!
  • I'm Worried
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Cat Secrets
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Click, Clack, Boo!: A Tricky Treat
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Linus The Little Yellow Pencil
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • Dinosaur Kisses
When Jan Thomas isn't working on children's books, she's painting pictures, playing the drums, backpacking, or wrangling dust bunnies.