Start by marking “As She's Told” as Want to Read:
As She's Told

As She's Told

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  1,510 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
The ideal D/s relationship for Anders and Maia is nothing less than total power exchange: no games, no negotiations, no safewords. When the two stumble onto each other in an on-line chat room, the fire of their offbeat sexual desires ignites and draws them together for an explosive sexual encounter. For Maia, Anders offers the kind of firm and unyielding dominant she has o ...more
Trade paperback , 442 pages
Published December 17th 2008 by Pink Flamingo

To ask other readers questions about As She's Told, please sign up.

Anne amazon have it on kindle for £4.47, well that's what I have paid. It's well worth the read, if you have an ipad or iphone you can get kindle books on…moreamazon have it on kindle for £4.47, well that's what I have paid. It's well worth the read, if you have an ipad or iphone you can get kindle books on there. Not sure about other phones. (less)
The Reluctant Dom by Tymber DaltonCaptive in the Dark by C.J. RobertsComfort Food by Kitty ThomasFetish Transcendence by BillierosieRebellious Slave by Billierosie
BDSM - TPE Stories
344 books — 557 voters
Club Shadowlands by Cherise SinclairBreaking Free by Cherise SinclairDark Citadel by Cherise SinclairMake Me, Sir by Cherise SinclairMaster of the Mountain by Cherise Sinclair
BDSM Fiction
901 books — 1,294 voters

More lists with this book...

~ Becs ~
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ~ Becs ~ by: Goodreads browsing
Wow, this one affected me deeply. This is not a romance or even erotic fiction - this is total power exchange, the dehumanising of a woman to the most base levels by a man who is cruel and relentless.

Maia and Anders are the couple at the heart of the novel, they meet at an online site and then in person and discuss their feelings about the whole master/slave dynamic. Maia and Anders agree that any consent, choice or limits on her behalf make the whole exercise pointless. In this way, Maia gives
Emma Sea
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for a challenge.

Relatively well-written, but just leaves me perplexed and trying to understand the appeal of this kink, and, you know, what happens to Maia when she no longer has perky breasts and a delectable arse, trying to enter the full-time job market at 40 when Anders wants to start the whole process again with someone else, and she has to write "makes a great Scrabble table" on her resume (also has lost all ability to function as a human, but *shrugs* she got to live her fantasy, rig
Erica Chilson
Where to begin...

Obviously, I didn't like the book. If you would like a better option in this Genre check out anything written By Kitty Thomas. She is fantastic.

What I didn't like. This is a Master/Slave BDSM book. In order for that relationship to work there are clear boundaries. The "Slave" is given rules, lots of rules to follow by her Master, who wants to run her life. Where the book falls off balance is when the Master starts hitting his slave just for any old thing. The rules are there for
Annabel Joseph
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica
I love this book to pieces. It's probably my fave BDSM book of all time and I've read quite a few. I love that Anneke pushes the M/s and TPE envelope, and yet--through the talent of her writing--never leaves any question that the h/h are deeply in love with each other.

If you are into hard BDSM, deep power exchange, and/or the master/slave dynamic, you absolutely must read this book.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I am mixed with my ratings on this book. Several of my friends indicated the humiliation was too much for them. This wasn't the case for me. Others indicated they didn't like the intense puppy or pony play. This wasn't a problem for me either. The forced pleasuring of females when Maia didn't like it? That wasn't an issue for me either.

What I liked about this book - 4 star part
Based on the sex play alone, this book would have received a 4 star from me. Ms. Jacob did an excellent job dehumanizing
Sassafrass
How do I even rate this book? I have no earthly idea. This book disturbed and intrigued me on so many levels that I find it impossible to put a number of stars down.

Was this book well written? Indeed. The character development was so in depth that you could actually follow the progression of the two main characters in their spiral toward a severe codependency that there are no words for. The inner dialogue of the main female character showed such insight and forethought that you became totally e
Willow Madison
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a bit unusual of a rating for me. The 3* is based solely on how this book left me feeling, not my opinion on the writing or overall story/characters.

The first half was great - Maia and Anders meeting, discussing, and sexually clicking were all fab. Anders was yummy, and his attention to details earned him a few extra smiles from me ;)

The second half is where things progressed to a level that was most definitely untitillating for me, for a number of reasons: the kink and the fluff.

The ki
DeadGirl Drama
“Intimate, Compelling and Disturbing”

The Plot: Anders comes from a large and lively Danish family. He’s an active dominant in the local BDSM scene, but his past relationships just haven’t quite fit the bill. He is tired of playing games, of role-playing at D/s with only half-hearted submissives.

From a very young age, Maia has had unusual fantasies. As a small child, she would play at being kept in a cage and dreamt longingly of being forced to submit to her captor. As she grew older, “normal” r
KindleKay
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: very few people if anybody
Recommended to KindleKay by: Goodreads surfing
Shelves: kindle-read, deleted, 2010
Fascination.....replusion.....Why did I pick up this book? Well, it won some erotic fiction award and the reviews were more favorable than not. Having now finished the book, I can say that I understand why it won the award and favorable reviews: for it writing style and ability to draw the reader in. Why have I not given it a higher review? No matter how well it is written, the content and replusion factor cannot outweigh the writing for me. To give this book a high rating is, for me, like stati ...more
Apr 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoy well-written bdsm stories. I've got a pretty open mind and I like to push it's limits.

I wish I had never decided to read this book. It started out good, you could feel the connection between Anders and Maia, but as the book went on, the connection disappeared. It disappeared until Anders was an egotistical jackass and Maia was...nothing. Literally nothing, there was NOTHING there. 24/7 TPE is acceptable to me, but when you don't take better care of your slave than you would of your dog,
Michael Dunellen
So maybe starting this the night before we learned about what Ariel Castro had been doing in Cleveland wasn’t the right time.

“I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years, and I'm, I'm here, I'm free now.”

Because it really bothers me that Maia wouldn’t be able to do what Amanda Berry did. In fact, I don’t think she would even try.

Anders. I don't like Anders. In fact, I can’t stand him.

“When they get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Eu
Saunders
Jun 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
There are times when you come to review a book that you can't quite put into words what you think about it. This is one of them. So I will try to put into words what I thought about this piece of fiction.

This has been described as an "erotic BDSM romance". It is not. There is nothing romantic about this story. Let me be very clear about it from the onset. This is about total power exchange, complete submission, slavery and being treated in the most degrading of ways.

Anders and Mia meet on a on-l
Varian Rose
I wouldn't call this a romance--at least, not in the traditional sense.

In the sense of two people getting exactly what they wanted, in a relationship that (extreme as it was) was fulfilling to them, that made them happy?

Then yes, I would call it a romance. An extremely dark, fucked up romance, but a love story nonetheless.

Then again, it's only fucked up to an outsider, looking in...

There were scenes that made me laugh, scenes that put a smile on my face, that radiated such joy that it was hard t
Kitten Mercer
This was one of the most brutal and hardcore bdsm novels I've ever read about. The events in this book were sickening, revolting, depressing. It depicts the total power exchange relationship between two consenting adults (both craving complete dominance and submission), the dehumanization of a person into an animal, and the true meaning of actual slavery. Ms Jacob pushes the bdsm and master/slave boundaries to the extreme and that's what I like about this book. The author's writing was powerful ...more
Alex

WTF did I just read??

I thought I had an open-mind, but not few were the moments in reading this that I was like

and
Hosted by imgur.com

Some might be tempted to judge the author, the novel and/or the characters, but not me! No sir, not me.. A Master/slave story in which the slave is not treated like a slave, but like an animal?

Hosted by imgur.com

I can't do this..I promised myself that I wouldn't judge it. For a book of this genre (the genre being hard-core bdsm, the hardest-core I've ever read), it's magnificent.

5 stars!!
comfort
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed me profoundly. I still think about it constantly. Not that I want to live like the protagonists, but I never thought about a lifestyle like this existed.
Lisabet Sarai
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've often observed, both in my stories and in real life, that the most erotic moments derive from complementary fantasies. Exhibitionist and voyeur. Sheik and harem girl. Strict schoolmarm and naughty schoolboy. And of course, Dom and sub. You want to do something. Your partner wants to see/feel/taste/touch you as you do it. Each participant is aware of the other's desires. That awareness sets up an erotic circuit, each person's excitement amplifying the other's arousal.

Anneke Jacob's remarkab
Jacqueline
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It's not as if I was unaware of what I was getting into. I'm not in this scene at all but I occasionally dip my toe into a BDSM read. By that statement I'm not denigrating those who are, I'm just saying that I haven't any real world way to judge what I'm reading so take my review with that grain of salt. I was well written and pretty long for the big price.

This particular BDSM story was very extreme and dealt with total objectification of this girl by th
Adrienne
Aug 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kink, erotica
4 stars because there were things about it that I found to be a little disconcerting and which pushed my boundries a little to far. Well written, in a style and manner that I like. I would have liked to understand Anders a little more, and I guess that the secondary story about homeless projects was there as an affirmation of his capacity for compassion. Maia went from being a complex and interesting character to someone who I started to care very little for. I don't mean that I stopped caring a ...more
'Q' aka CoCo
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different... consent for non-consent

This was a whole new idea, never read anything like it though I'm not new to TPE books. This one definitely took it to a whole new level... I do wish there would have been less talk of politics as it is supposed to be an erotic novel which is why it lost a star but otherwise, very good. She gave up all right to give consent (knowingly) and he took it to mad extremes reducing her down to not only slave levels but to base animal levels. Though not all of it was
Alex Lowe
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
- How kinky?
Oh, boy, is it ever! This is a one-stop-shop for all your kinky and BDSM needs. You've got your basic ownership - and I mean real, no-playing ownership of human property - all the way to your physical violence, and pretty much everything that genre entails. There's sensory deprivation, animalisation, psychological torture, philosophy of kink; it's brilliant.

- How sexy?
There are some amazingly intense sex scenes here. But it's not just the sex we kinksters are after, is it? Some of t
Marion
Zelda Wendy
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: erotica
I'm sorry, I read this book and I have to agree, some of the book sounds reasonable and then it gets completely out of hand. A master is supposed to give the slave what she needs, where does he get the idea in his head that she needs to become an animal.
She is already a complete introvert, he just made her so much worse. If I was her friend I would have gotten her to a psychologist. I mean, here she is trained to be an animal and what if something really did happen to her, she would be completel
Fallon Blake
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bdsm
I have a feeling that this book will stay with me for a very long time. Although extremely thought provoking, I have to say that As She's Told is not for everyone. Anneke Jacob gives readers a Master/slave relationship that is a Total Power Exchange in every sense of the term. It is gritty and sadistic, but I was always keenly aware of the deep love felt between Master and slave.

Maia and Anders are unlike any couple I've ever encountered in all my years of reading. What they share is trusting,
Rida
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most serious BDSM books I have read. Anneke Jacob's exploration of the psycological elements in a master slave relationship is exceptional. Yes, the physical aspects of the relationship are portrayed in extremes; but it is precisely this that allows the emergence of the emotional and intellectual elements that shape both the master and slave mentalities.

In my opinion this book surpasses Anne Rices 'Sleeping Beauty' series. It should be required reading for anyone with a serious intere
Poison
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, tpe, slavery
It's not very often anyone cares to write a story about "a born slave" or someone who's kink is 24/7 slavery.

People tend to look down on it, even people within the BDSM community, which leaves, obviously, a whole niche group reading about brats, and what not. I have to say, Anneke got this so right. I found this book so powerful.

Not a traditional love story, obviously. But both of these characters were up front at the start, and they both got what they set out to get.

I loved it, but it was not f
Flow
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I feel that this book talked a lot. Not much action or detail into the steamy scenes sometimes throughout the book, which weren't all that steamy. But other times, there was new and exciting ideas which were steamy to the extreme.

The book was extremely different to what I am used to reading. This was a first for someone so willing into the extreme! But I did enjoy the book overall!

The book was written in the females and males point of view.

Read it for the second time... Wasn't as good as the fir
nd ♥Master's kitten♥
I've been wondering how I was going to review this book since about midway through it. I'm still not sure what will end up flowing from my keyboard to this big empty page.

I enjoy BDSM fiction... the taboo of it all. And this book started out feeding what i enjoy. Then it made a right turn into UnbelievableVille and it didn't slow down until it ran right out of the other side of town.

As I said, i enjoy BDSM Fiction, but it has to be plausible... and towards the end of this book plausible was remo
Daemon Grendl
May 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I can give two very specific reasons why I didn't like Anneke Jacob's book:

1 - “True” slavery doesn't turn me on
2 - There wasn't enough sex.

Anders relentlessly pursues the goal of making Maia his complete slave. He strictly controls everything about her life through cameras, restraints and discipline. We are told repeatedly that Maia is wired to be completely satisfied serving Anders and living the life of humiliation, punishment and isolation. I didn't believe it.

Secondly, Anders' keeps Mai
Hannah
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bound
I haven't quite finished reading this book yet, but what I have read has been incredible. It's amazingly well written in almost every part not to mention the emotional and psychological aspects that I feel it touches on beautifully. Though the book is written in essentially three points of view (that of Anders in third person, that of Maia in first person, and that of Anders and Kurt's email conversations), the only confusing part is some of the email conversations are hard to follow. Otherwise ...more
  • Butterfly Unpinned
  • Submissive Desires
  • Sacred Secrets (Chronicles of Surrender, #1)
  • Safeword Rainbow (Safeword, #1)
  • Learning to Drown
  • Becoming Sage (The Keyhole, #1)
  • Carrie's Story: An Erotic S/M Novel (Carrie’s Story #1)
  • Owning Wednesday
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • The Marketplace (The Marketplace, #1)
  • Roped In (Bondage Ranch, #1)
  • Judgment (Judgment, #1)
  • Enslaved
  • Bottoms Up (Come Again, #1)
  • Graceful Submission (Graceful, #1)
  • Tamed
  • No One But Madison

“They'd need to do some shopping. As he adjusted the shoulders of the last dress, their eyes met in the mirror. He raised his right hand solemnly. "I swear I never played with Barbie dolls."
A grin flickered at the corner of her mouth, and she opened her mouth, then closed it again.
He raised an eyebrow. "You might as well say it; go on."
Her expression in the mirror was both sly and apprehensive. "Just thinking perhaps you were making up for lost time."
He ran his hand up beneath the back of the dress and pinched her, making her yelp. "Yup, no question about it. Lego was never like this." He stroked her ass and the straps that demarcated ass from thigh. "Not like this.”
3 likes