Start by marking “Everything is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time” as Want to Read:
Everything is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time

Everything is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time

Whether you need to ask for a raise at work, request a better hotel room while you’re on holiday, or even debate with your stubborn teenager at home, you can learn effective and powerful negotiation skills to help you get the best deal every time. With chapters on such subjects as making your offer count, dealing with intimidation, and getting it in writing, as well as sel ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Random House Business (first published September 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Everything is Negotiable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything is Negotiable

Start your review of Everything is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time
Anna Mezhova
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's an absolute must-read if you have to negotiate in your work. Negotiations are a big part of my job, I've previously taken workshops on the topic and knew a lot of things, but this book still brought me new ideas and techniques which are useful and actionable. Definitely ordering a copy for our corporate library! ...more
Alexander Stashenko
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This essential book for... I expect everyone. In modern world we make negotiations almost every 10 minutes. And this book gives you good understanding of how this should be done in order to be successful as well as be able to make constructive deals
Ali
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is way too long, can be shorten even less than half and the contents were pretty much common sense, perhaps because it is an old book
Igor Podoprygora
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book for everyone I guess, but especially good for those starting their ventures for the first time:)
Great examples, easy to read!
Vladimir Chupakhin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biz, career, 2019
Definitely a book that will rise a lot of questions that should be treated as a positive thing. Negotiations tactics from it can be applied to everything and not only trade.
Songhua
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This book covers basic concepts. Good as a starter, but not a replacement for "Getting To Yes" / "Getting Past No". ...more
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe that the book 'Getting to Yes' is the best book on the 'philosophy/strategy' of negotiation. When it comes down to negotiation a deal with practical examples, there is NO other book that EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE. If you can put a dollar value on what's to be negotiated, this is the book you wanna read and study.

Personally, i found the following topics the most valuable;

- on accepting the first offer
- goodwill concessions and its effectiveness
- tough vs. soft opening
- toughness in negot
Marta Kushlyk
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-development
must-read book that will help in all types of negotiations
Victor
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great summary of everyone's experience

Each and every great book of this kind is just a bunch of pieces of common knowledge, but there should be someone who can systematize the pieces into the one consistent picture. Here we have one of the best example of such someone and such picture.

The book is surprisingly entertaining. I really like the way which author chose to interact with a reader. Self assessment tests put you in a state of constant thinking and focusing on a case from a question as wel
Ellie
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for everyone: from businessmen to housewives. Whether you negotiate a million-dollar deal or you try to buy a new skirt with discount, you would be excited to get a few insights about the art of negotiation.
alexeyqu
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-development
Really-really-really good one.
You won't become a good negotiator after reading this book.
You won't make your most successful deal after reading this book.
BUT
You will get interested in developing some kind of sense in the area.
And, over time, you will make that deal.
Robert Lukoshko
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Practical and exciting manual on how to negotiate. Really enjoyed how author explains every topic with real world implementations.
The key thing for me was storytelling. He tells a story and then explains key mistakes.
Jack Nasher
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice real-world examples.
Solomiya Zahray
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantast read all together. Split into lessons learned & a lot of personal experience and chewing through of materials. Worth my time for sure.❤️
Angad Nadkarni
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
To quote Shakespeare, “His reasons are as two grains of wheat hid in two bushels of chaff—you shall seek all day ere you find them, and when you have them they are not worth the search.”
Mischa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
The book consist lots of tips and tricks of negotiation, yet some of scenarios provided in the book consist outdated examples like using a fax.
Igor Tarasenko
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lot of easy to use pieces of advice.
Stanislav Shulga
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
must-read book for everyone who intends to improve his/her negotiations skills
Ruslana Izimova
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my favorite book, it’s really useful
Vincent
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book to change perspective. Even though most of the things are related to business, this book is also veru good to understand human thoughts and needs.
Dmitry Leshchenko
I have read this book in one go.
Excellent.
Kirill
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skills
Very opinionated, provoking in a not necessarily constructive way, culture specific ... and not really informative. The useful bits could be summarized on few pages.
Darren Horwitz
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eye opening
Bernie Noel
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting book, which helped me understand a lot of things about communication with people. Highly recommend.
Goga Ni
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not just a good book but I would say a "must read" book for everybody. ...more
Warren Parad
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Really long, feels like the pages, and chapters go on forever. The self-assessments are good, but need more details, the author tries to trick you be leaving out all necessary detail to make good decisions, sometimes he is oven like "the answer is ask more questions."...lame.

Some good insight, but I feel like he is out of touch with improvements and evolution of negotiation in the world. You can tell this is the old world sytle negotiating tactics.

Also I'm concerned about his "everyone else is o
Melvyn Foo
The content is decent I guess, though I don't have much of a comparison to benchmark it against. This is the first book on negotiation that I'm reading. The writing was pretty bad though. Much of it was self-indulgent and some anecdotes are irrelevant. There was little structure also; the book was just a series of best practices with no progression in chapters. ...more
Vadim Reutskiy
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Description of approach to negotiations (and especially bargaining) with very good assessment techniques for the reader. Collects most of concrete principles of business negotiations and would be very useful for the every person, who want to upgrade personal speaking skill and meet his aims during conversations.
Maxat
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book provides a general overview on how to run negotiations. The author divides all people into 4 groups based on the negotiations style and provides advices on how to behave in different negotiation situations. Overall I suggest this book as a basic guide to negotiations.
Kanstantin Tsiarokhin
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good start for people having no specific knowledge in negotiations theory. While reading the book, implemented several of the ideas the author is writing about, and it worked out successfully. The book definitely pays off.

• Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know
  • Atlas Shrugged, Part A
  • Джедайские техники: Как воспитать свою обезьяну, опустошить инбокс и сберечь мыслетопливо
  • Новые правила деловой переписки
  • Atlas Shrugged Part B
  • Атлант розправив плечі. Частина третя: А є А.
  • Пиши, сокращай
  • 45 Татуировок менеджера
  • Как люди думают
  • The Ideal Executive
  • Yes to Life: In Spite of Everything
  • Империя должна умереть. История русских революций в лицах. 1900-1917
  • Economics: The User's Guide
  • Непобедимое солнце
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Mind Power Into the 21st Century: Techniques to Harness the Astounding Powers of Thought
  • Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
  • Clean Architecture
Gavin Kennedy was a Scottish economist and founder of Negotiate. He was a leading figure in the world of negotiation and was involved in many high profile consultancy cases for governments and businesses. He was a Professor Emeritus at the University of Edinburgh.

Kennedy studied economics at Strathclyde University, graduating with a BA in 1965 and then studying for an MSc. After taking a Ph.D. at

News & Interviews