Start by marking “Guts” as Want to Read:
Guts

Guts

16 pages
Published (first published March 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Guts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guts

Start your review of Guts
Treyvon
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Kat sent me.
I don't regret it.
I think I want more.
I also want significantly less.
Thank you.
☽Luna☾
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-shit
2/5

** This short story is an excerpt from the novel Haunted**

I was sent this book by a friend who knows I have a warped sense of humor. Apparently this book is so disturbing and disgusting that people fainted at a live reading of it and others literally vomited their guts up. "This book will make grown men cringe" well if that's the case why the fuck aren't I cringing?! Anyway I didn't even flinch while reading it, but I did have a big chuckle the entire time reading it because of t
AleJandra
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gore
Me encantan las historias, que te dejan así:

description

Un pequeño cuento con anécdotas de adolescentes masturbándose.

La primera historia sobre la zanahoria, me hizo reír mucho.

La segunda de la cera, me pareció una idea interesante, que fue mal ejecutada. Voy a buscar mas información al respecto.

La tercer anécdota, es la mas asquerosa e irreal.

Desde hace mucho que t
kirkesque
Aug 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
I suppose isolated, inexperienced people who live vicariously through television or lame books like Upchuck Palahniuk writes, would find this sort of thing something to faint at or throw up because of, but if you've ever experienced anything remotely akin to somewhat off-center fetishes or what a lot of people would call "regular life," this sort of thing is evident for what it is: salacious pandering. But no one went broke underestimating the buying public's desire for salacious pandering.
Misal
Masturbating has never been this horrifying. Or disgusting. Or brilliant. Yes, this is not for the squeamish, it's disturbing to read, and I'm pretty sure it's going to haunt me forever, but that just goes to show how well Palahniuk has written this story. I wasn't able to tear my eyes away from the page for a second, I was so engrossed in it.
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I first read this short story in Haunted Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk by Chuck Palahniukand I was shocked....shocked to the point where I couldn't even picture a thing like this EVER happening...but you never know.

Why 5 Stars? Maybe Chuck has a loyal fan in me but it's more than that...when a story grips you to a point where you can picture EXACTLY what is happening and get the stomach weeby jeebies....I have found the perfect writer when I'm
Gigi S.
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ANYONE WHO READS THIS: IT HURTS. IT HURTS TO READ. BE PREPARED.
OH GOD! OH GOOD GOD! WHY CHUCK WHY!

Okay, he rocks. He just full on rocks. Like I can't go on about him enough. But...this.

78 people fainted whilst listening to him read this.

I'm assuming they fainted around page 4. Oh goooodddddd noooooooo. It's just...I cannot. It hurts to read. PHYSICALLY HURTS TO READ. (view spoiler) Y
Carla ☺Did I Say That☺
SMDH..I'm trying to come up with a way to describe this one..awwwh.. who am I kidding ...I got nothing...I'll just leave my jaw on the floor and move on..lol!!!
Franco  Santos
Extraño, salvaje, demencial. Un buen cuento, se lee en unos minutos y es imposible no quedarse con un desagrado visceral al terminarlo.

Lo recomiendo.
Gor93ous
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Why did I read this story only instead of devouring all of “Haunted”? The answer is, I’m not into collections of short stories, where there tends to be hits and misses in them. So, I went to find this specific story online, because I’ve heard plenty good things about it.

I was ready to be SCARED. I was ready to be pissing my pants!

But, instead, I got a good laugh out of it! I believe you won’t, though, so please just discard my previous statement since it’s related to my v
Lisabelle
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 stars because it definitely accomplishes what it set out to do. And that is to make the reader EXTREMELY F&@?!@G uncomfortable. I read this as part of his "Haunted" anthology and its the first time I recall reading something and feeling like I really wanted to stop because I was so disturbed by the relentlessly horrific imagery.
After telling some friends at a party the backstory which is that Palahniuk was asked not to do readings of "Guts" anymore because so many audience members were pa
Denisse
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
If you want something fast and grotesque, read Guts right now. Because what is more grotesque than teens, masturbation and carrots? :'D
India
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to be totally clear that I'm not giving this story a high rating because I enjoyed the story. I'm giving it a high rating because it was really well written and well executed. I had never heard of this and I've never read anything by Palahniuk, but I was getting my windshield replaced and listening to his interview with Joe Rogan and he started to talk about this story. So I googled it to see what it was about and I found it online. In the interview, Chuck said, "I always think that the p ...more
Justine
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This story should last about as long as you can hold your breath, and then just a little bit longer. So listen as fast as you can.

Enjoyment Rate - 55%
Story - 12%
Characters - 7%
Total - 74%
Rating - ★★★☆☆

This was my first Chuck Palahniuk book

And might I dare say

I would like to read more of his works.

This was a weird one. You see, gore is one of my weaknesses. Reading this was hard, but I just can’t stop reading it. It was disgusting, horrifying, and yet enjoying? It/>/>/>
Airiz C
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Guts. Usually, that’s what you need when you want to read any of Chuck Palahniuk’s works. Once, I’ve compared reading his works to participating in Fear Factor for some readers. His writings are not for everyone—especially not for people with weak stomachs.

Guts is included in Chuck’s anthology Haunted, but I’ve read this on the net and heard it on Youtube. It’s probably one of the most disgusting tales I’ve ever encountered, and I have to confess I squirmed many times while reading it. The writing/>
Jychelle
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Now I have to read Haunted in its entirety, this is one of the stories in that book.

I can see how 78 (probably more by now) people fainted during this reading. I didn't faint, but omg do I feel sick and slightly dizzy. Holy shitballs. Oh the horrors in masturbation. My asshole actually hurts right now. (No, not from attempting to do anything described but from clenching so damn hard). Some of the things that people will do to get off however are disgusting. I think I might just have
Crispitina30
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ES LA COSA MÁS CHOCANTE QUE HE LEÍDO EN MI VIDA.

Espantosamente real, sexual y lo más gore y asqueroso que se puede concebir. Pero me ha encantado, sí señor. Narración excelente que favorece la inmersión y pone los pelos de punta. Lo he pasado fatal especialmente con la última historia, la de la piscina, que sin duda es la más fuerte de las tres.

Chuck Palahniuk comparte con nosotros este relato que, sin duda, está escrito sin tapujos. Atrevido e inolvidable, hasta el punto de atreverme a especular que más de uno habrá cogido
Kristijan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Huh... Sedim i razmišljam koju ocenu da dam i šta da napišem...
Na kraju se odlučih za četvorčicu... Palahniuk tako moćno piše!!! Kupio me je još davnih dana sa romanima Choke, Survivor i Fight club. On je brutalan, sirov, ciničan. Ne poznaje granice i čini se da sa svakim svojim tekstom ide korak dalje, kršeći tabue.
Priča je brutalna i eksplicitna, a Palahniuk je još dodatno začinio tekst žestokim opisima koji doprinose vizuelizaciji cele priče.
Svi vi koji imate slabe stomake ne upu
Steph
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm actually very fond of this story (my favorite in Haunted), but due to its content I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I find it hard to believe that anyone fainted at a reading, but maybe it's more shocking to hear it aloud. I think it's funny. Palahniuk is a great storyteller.
Divine
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Trigger Warning: G O R E.
I've only read one book from Chuck which is Diary and it's also pretty fcked up albeit it's one of his earlier works. (I might reread that one hmmmm) Guts, in a sense is an appropriate introduction to Chuck Palahniuk's unapologetic writing style. Like dark humor itself, not everybody gets his works. This is a hilarious and disturbing short story (plus it's weirdly educational?), and kind of a cautionary tale for young boys. Good thing I'm born with the different genitalia whi
Ron
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully disgusting and darkly hilarious. If I never read that much about the colon again, I'll die a happy man.
Keith Deininger
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is disgusting.
Teresita
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
*4.5 stars*
Me dio mucho asco pero me encantó, ¿es posible eso? D:
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vishakha by: Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
Shelves: 2016
I am never going into swimming pools ever again. Never.

Bizarrely funny and creatively disgusting, this book will make sure you are scarred for life !
Chuck Palahniuk is a genius. :D
Tiffany
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Of all of the things to expect in a story entitled "Guts" I did not expect that one bit. However I did not puke or faint though I am writing this only a few minutes after my reading and puking is still a very real possibility. My stomach does feel quite strange.

Still, while most authors can manage the simple task of making hearts pound, I do believe that it took Palahniuk to make my stomach pound. I will not spoil the story with my reasoning yet it left me terrified of all things wit
Vijetha
That is our invisible carrot.

Its dark, intense, crazy creepy and disgusting, but you’ve got to read it!

Friendly advice – Sit/lie down comfortably before you start reading this and remember to breathe.

Skip this if you have a faint heart. The visual the narration builds is insane! May not be a bedtime read. (Although I did read it just before going to bed and had to struggle for a bit to calm the fuck down.)
Femibooktus
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He empezado partiéndome de risa y he acabado reafirmando mi pánico a las alcantarillas de las piscinas. Ahora quiero leer más cosas de este señor.
Tasha-Lynn
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I need to give this 5/5 for seriously making me squirm... And picture things in my imagination I never thought I ever would
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Repulsive and compulsively readable.
Mar
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Primero que nada,... wow.

En verdad, wow. *risa nerviosa*

4.5/5

Bien, debo aclarar primero que si algo me puede es el morbo. Soy demasiado ociosa con tiempo libre (o al menos relativamente, ha!) y demonios, este libro prácticamente me ordenó que lo leyera.

Segundo punto, me encanta el gore. (¿Quién lo diría, no?) Así que este libro me vino anillo al dedo, aunque no de la manera que hubiera imaginado. Creo que nadie se imagina lo que está a punto de leer cuando tiene esta mu

• Clown Girl
  • You Do Not Talk About Fight Club: I Am Jack's Completely Unauthorized Essay Collection
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 3 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #3)
  • Kiss Me, Judas
  • Down to a Sunless Sea
  • The Contortionist's Handbook
  • Shopping & Fucking (The Administration, #3.8)
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 11
  • You'll Have Had Your Hole
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’s first New York Times bestsell ...more
“In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.” 29 likes
“People in France have a phrase: "Spirit of the Stairway." In French: Esprit de l'escalier. It means that moment when you find the answer, but it's too late. Say you're at a party and someone insults you. You have to say something. So under pressure, with everybody watching, you say something lame. But the moment you leave the party…

As you start down the stairway, then -- magic. You come up with the perfect thing you should've said. The perfect crippling put-down.

That's the Spirit of the Stairway.

The trouble is even the French don't have a phrase for the stupid things you actually do say under pressure. Those stupid, desperate things you actually think or do.

Some deeds are too low to even get a name. Too low to even get talked about.”
7 likes