Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance

The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance

(MacKinnon .5 (MacDuff;s Secret))

Twenty tales of swashbuckling adventure and passionate romance from some of the most exciting names in romance fiction, including Margo Maguire, Autumn Daw, Sandy Blair, Michele Maddox, Patti O’Shea, Holly Lisle, Kimberly Raye, and Madeline Baker.

Join the heroines in this delightful anthology as they step backwards—or forwards—in time, transported to the Scottish Highlands
Published December 8th 2009 by Running Press (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance

SheLove2Read
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
1/5/2010
I'm reading this slowly.

The Key To Happiness by Gwyn Cready. I've never read anything by this author before but it was a REALLY good story. Very touching. The premise was loving someone more than you love yourself and setting them free, even though it means you lose them. I won't give away what happens but I got teary eyed at the end! 5 stars.

MacDuff's Secrety by Sandy Blair. Just ok. Scottish highland romance. I thought it was kind of cheesy, really. 2 stars.

Lost and Found by Maureen Mc
Maureen McGowan
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm biased, because I did write one of the 20 stories in this anthology, but there's a fabulous variety of fun voices in this book.
Lexie
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-blog-pr
For the record I've read 8 of the authors listed above previously. In the introduction by Telep she mentions how time travel romance flourished in the 90's and early new millennium, but how paranormal romance has sort of shoved it away. I tried to remember the last *new* time travel romance I had read and I believe it would be Gwyn Cready's Tumbling Through Time, which I only liked so-so. I know that Brenda Joyce had several with her Time Guardians series--which was also a so-so series in my opi ...more
Deanna from Deanna's World
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of stories. They have been great for when I was short of time but wanted something quick and complete to read, and they were also perfect for times when I was waiting on an appointment or for the train.

The stories were all well written and well edited, although for some of the stories, the eBook formatting was a little off and some words ran into each other - not too much of a problem as I was able to figure out the words. As to the stories themselves, I enjoyed
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Some stories worked, some were just okay, and others didn't hold my interest.

These were the best:
The Eleventh Hour by Michelle Maddox-
Enjoyed this one; however the falling in love happened quickly (but then given the length, what did I expect?)

Pilot's Forge by Patrice Sarath-
Interesting start, it kept my attention. I loved Edith's profession (Farrier). Weird end.

The Troll Bridge by Patti O'Shea-
My favorite- no insta-love in this one, just insta-like and a willingness to let's see what happens me
Bea  Charmed
The usual anthology mix of good, bad, and meh. No real standouts but no real clunkers either. One thing that annoyed me was the frequent mixup of American and British terms. Most of the stories take place in the US with American characters but many, or maybe all, of the authors are British. So you'd get American characters talking about tyres and kerbs or using British expressions. It was jarring. That was careless editing.
Robin Van Der Maat
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
ANother mammoth mess of some good, some awful time travel romances.

Happily, this contained quite a few unique (to me at least) perspectives on time travel storyline which I found to be more interesting than the S-steamy romances. Since I didn't expect much I did not take note of the actual good contributors. This one gets a recommendation if you like reading unique takes on time travel.
Michelle Tempted By Books
Half of these were good stories that were too short and half were just oddly creepy, plain old boring, or just didn't make any sense.
Taylor
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
So far my opinion on this book is the story lines are very creative given the length. The relationships on the other hand though are very unrealistic to me. It feels like in every single story the couple meets very strangely followed by making out the very next day. I understand its a romance anthology and they only have some pages to write the story but come on. If it were me who were these characters, I wouldn't be making out with some guy that I found in my horse stable in an astronaut suit t ...more
holly quigley
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: anthologies
Since this is an anthology, I figure I'll start my review now.

The Key To Happiness, by Gwyn Cready

Really sweet little story. So many Time Travel romances I've read are just kind of happenstance stories, whereas this one is very specifically about a character trying to go back and change something. I really liked it, although I think the short story format is about the only place that kind of arc would work that easily.

MacDuff's Secret by Sandy Blair

Tolerable, barely. Good thing it was a short s
TinaMarie
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christy
Feb 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
There were a few good stories in this anthology that would have brought my rating up if the rest hadn't been so awful. I know "romance" was in the title and should have warned me, but too many of the stories relied heavily on characters thinking "I know I just met you, but I'm soooo attracted to you, I think I love you" (which is just lazy writing - how about some characters with actual chemistry?!?). A lot of the stories started with a good time travel story, but as soon as the characters hooke ...more
Lauren
Feb 01, 2015 marked it as to-read
The Key To Happiness by Gwyn Cready.

MacDuff's Secrety by Sandy Blair

The Walled
Beth N
Mar 28, 2010 added it
Shelves: reviewed
I originally borrow this book to read only one story (The Walled Garden by Michele Lang) but the others intrigued me. I do plan on returning and seeing what else this has in store.

As for The Walled Garden, I really enjoyed it. It was nicely paced and not the perfect fairy tale. The damsel-in-distress is flawed and not your average cookie cutter damsel. She has already survived a life-altering altercation that both broke her and made her stronger. For this much character development it is amazing
Jane Mercer
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: going-to-ebay
Vastly entertaining 20 tales of Time Travel and Romance.
On average these are highly entertaining stories and mostly not from your usual supernatural writers.
There are one or two a little slow but mostly pack a delightful punch for short stories I especially like the one that actually dealt with the paradox it would create by changing a timeline which most seemed to ignore. (one though, The Walled Garden seemed to be a bad fit but it could be because I got fed up with it and skipped to the next).
Maggie Bermann
Jan 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Okay im abt half way through this but its been a LONG time since I can actually say ive HATED a book! and Hate is a strong word.

Book is 24 short stories (Novellas).I feel each one is too rushed, or to slow then wham, thank you mam, its the end, and you are left going huh, wtf happened next!

Some of the stories have such good potential to be more, but ending is ruined by being over so quickly.

Maybe im just so used to proper novels lol

Ive got Mammoth book of Irish romances and Scottish romances to
Carrie
Aug 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
If you ever need a cover that will elict smirks and possibly mocking laughter on the bus, this would be it. (Not that I experienced this personally, although now I kind of wish I had tried.)

There were three stories I liked. The Key to Happiness by Gwen Cready, Pilot's Forge by Patrice Sarath, and Last Thorsday Night by Holly Lisle.

The rest was crap. Not just oh, kind of bad mediocre romance. No, so bad that I still can't justify giving this book more than one star, even though those three storie
Reannon
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting idea to take a bunch of short stories to put in one book. Though I would have to say this was very poorly done. I would have liked seeing the stories longer than 2-4 pages.. it felt like everything was more rushed than what it should have been and before you could even get a feel for the main characters the stories were done. I am completely disappointed since it left me wanting more of the stories. Each one had a very well thought out plot and would have been great s ...more
Caro
Mar 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. A little disappointing in that it was a typical anthology: half and half. There were some really good stories but also ones I didn't really care for. There were a few good steamy scenes, some Highlanders, Rangers, a steampunk, some faeries, and modern day attitudes. I wouldn't mind reading this again but I wouldn't shelf this one. There were maybe a few stories I really enjoyed but most of theme were just good. Overall, pretty good though and not bad, good for passin ...more
Deirdre
Ho-hum collection of time travel stories. My favourite was probably Last Thorsday night by Holly Lisle (an author I like anyway). Often when I read a collection like this there are one or two new authors who intrigue me and make me want to read more by them, nope, every author I liked the story by was an author I already read. I suppose it's not helped by the fact that I really am not that interested in time travel as a trope and was wondering if it was just some of the books I have read about i ...more
Emily
May 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Surprisingly (at least to me) I only ended up skipping about 3 of the stories. There were a few that I would have really enjoyed to read as longer works--there was a lot more to those worlds/stories that could have been developed. Only about 4 stories in here really fit the short story format; most felt like longer works condensed to fit the limited page count. Overall, not a bad way to spend a few hours stuck at an airport.
Amanda
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This book had a good mix of more futuristic science fiction and more fantasy oriented short stories. As with most anthologies, there were some I didn't care for, some I wish could be turned into a full length novel so I could find out what happened next, and most were a fun short read. Anyone who likes a little time travel and romance should definitely give it a read.

For me it wasn't a 4, but I'd give it a 3.5.
Tammie
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was nice to take a break and read a bunch of short stories after the epic Game of Thrones series and have to say that I enjoyed every story in this anthology...several left me wanting more and I will be following up with those authors to see if they have written extended versions of what was published here. Anthologies are not something I have ever really been interested in, but I do have to admit it is a great way to discover new authors!!
Heidi
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoy just about anything that involves time travel. As is the case with all anthologies, some of these stories are better than others. My favourites were "The Key to Happiness", "Stepping Back", "The Eleventh Hour", "Saint James' Way", "Last Thorsday Night", and "Falling in Time". I rounded up my rating from 3.5 to 4 stars.
Megan
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Overall, I enjoy the book. There were a few stories that either appeared to end too quickly or seemed to drag on though this is my first time reading a Mammoth Book. I highly recommend it for those who may not have a lot of time to read long novels or those who enjoy short story time travel romances.
Debbie
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: time travel fans
Recommended to Debbie by: saw on shelf in library, two week books and had to have
If you could travel in time would you go to the future or to the past. Both were explored here. Phil said future and Emily said past. Jake's asleep so I'll have to wait to ask. My favorite story was a bout the thursday night book club. No brain surgery here but a good fun read.Most of the stories were easy to get into it.All 20 had some redeeming quality.
Kelly Wagner
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
All the stories are original to this anthology. A mixed bag, varying quality. Some to the past, some from the future. I am really sick and tired of time-traveling Scotsmen, it's been overdone already.
Sara G
I didn't particularly enjoy more than one or two of the stories in this anthology. It was a bit of a slog and I feel like time travel romance generally needs more than just a short story to flesh out the intricacies.
Maria
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, brilliant page turner
Donna
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I bought book this because one of the authors was on my "must read list." I thought a few of the stories were silly, but over-all, I enjoyed it thoroughly!!

• The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • Highland Rebel (Highland Dream, #5)
  • Sapphire Dream  (Jewels of Time #1)
  • Thirteen Chances
  • Dark Viking (Viking II, #10)
  • Feather in the Wind
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Faeries Gone Wild
  • A Twist In Time (Da Vinci Time Travel, #3)
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Perfect Crimes & Impossible Mysteries
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • A Hoboken Hipster in Sherwood Forest
  • The Diamonds of Welbourne Manor: Justine and the Noble Viscount / Annalise and the Scandalous Rake / Charlotte and the Wicked Lord (Harlequin Historical)
  • Flirting with Forever
  • Twice a Hero
  • A Clockwork Christmas
  • My Heart Stood Still (MacLeod, #3; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8)
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.

MacKinnon (1 books)
  • The King's Mistress
“There is no difference 'twixt you and 'twixt me, save that one stands and one sits when we pee.” 0 likes