Start by marking “Sugar and Spice (What Women Want, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar and Spice (What Women Want, #1)

Sugar and Spice (What Women Like #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,885 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Ginny's thirtieth birthday is shaping up to be the worst ever, until her best friend Ryan takes her to the Way Down Under, a new sex club she's been dying to visit. Too bad Ryan refuses to let her see anything but the club's tasteful bar. Sneaking off to explore, Ginny is busted by Ryan in the Voyeur Room. But instead of taking her home, Ryan intends to teach her a lesson- ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Mari Carr

To ask other readers questions about Sugar and Spice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar and Spice

Nisha
Sep 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants something sweet with a taste of spice
This is a really cute friends to lovers book. I loved it because of the snippets of their past. The emotions between them are well done. But, I guess i would have expected more sex scenes. There was a couple, but somehow, they seemed secondary and not that steamy, considering that it was playing with the kinky. It almost seemed sweet vanilla to me, but maybe I was just expecting the sex club to be played up more.

I'm looking forward for MC's books. The sequel stars the other 2 friends, who had a
Cecilia
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought this would be a sweet friends to lovers story, with some extra heat. It was basically a few really long sex scenes (one with the icky assistance of a relative), and a few vignettes from the growing up years of the main characters. I was disappointed - character development was not the most convincing.

Also, one distracting element was the use of dialogue tags. All throughout, it's he yelled, she muttered, he disagreed, she yelled, he thought, and so on. Really tiresome - made the voice
Dragana
*** 4 stars ***

Why oh why am I a sucker for these best-friends-turn-lovers kind of stories?
This is the second book by Mari Carr I read and it's even better. You can feel the emotions and love between the characters seep between the pages. Surprisingly good for a short erotica novel.
Cyn Mistress Kitty
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great little best friends to lovers story with a side of bdsm. Loved it but wish it had been longer.
Rhian Cahill
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sugar and Spice is all things nice. Definitely worth picking up but then I haven't read any of Mari's books that aren't.
Kristy
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Ginny is turning 30 and she just got dumped by her douchey boyfriend. In steps Travers, her best friend since childhood. He agrees to take her out for some birthday fun - at an exclusive sex club that she's been dying to go to. Once they arrive at the club, Ginny spots the douchey boyfriend all up in some blonde bimbo's fake tits. To comfort her, Travers says all the right things and then takes her back to his private room for some.....um.....fun.

I love a good best-friend-turned-lover story, but
Maida
This book was pretty good. Short & sweet... & well-written relative to the other books that I've read in this particular genre. You'll rarely find typos or grammatical errors in any of Mari Carr's novels-- something which I find refreshing given all of the crappy New Adult Contemporary that I've been reading as of late.... In my opinion, this author's best book is still "Erotic Research"-- a must-read for anyone curious about sexual self-exploration & the BDSM lifestyle. "Erotic Rese ...more
May Young
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet with just the right amount of spice. It's sweet how two best friends can become the best of lovers; what makes it spicy is the bdsm action they engage in and the fact that that's how the two main characters started to see each other differently. I also like it when the girl, who starts out being naive, gets bold to get the guy, who is the typical player, to change his ways and to claim his heart.
Zerin Hasan
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Small story with sweet big feelings...
I read it within a night...can't put it down for a second..entirely intense romantic story... :)))

description

Love it damn much...!! :D
Amz_Bookz_Junkie_4EvEr
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, bdsm
It was a great way to realize that they loved each other!!
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Friends to lovers story.
CaroB
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This wasn't just a regular erotic title, I really liked the peppered memories of the protagonists' history and the Friends-to-lovers story made it a treat. Will look for this author again.
Heather in FL
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite themes is friends turned lovers, and this one didn't disappoint.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to ♆ BookAddict by: Forbidden bookshelf
Ryan and Ginny have been best friends forever it seems. Along with two other guys. While the three men went off and received university degrees, Ginny stayed home to nurse her cancer stricken mother. Years later, they all work together in their small company of I believe 4. I'm not sure exactly what it is they do, but it's immaterial to the story. What is interesting is the three men all appear to be rich and Dom. They also have a gold card at "Way Down Under" sex club. Yup, an exclusive BDSM cl ...more
C Joy
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this short friends-to-lovers story. It reminded me a little of Erotic Research, but the characters here have been childhood friends, though the hero was always the ladies' man, and when Ginny dressed up for her thirtieth birthday, Ryan saw her in a new light.

I liked the flashbacks they had when they were growing up, how Ryan always took care of her, and it's unusual for a girl to befriend three guys but they pulled it off and it wasn't the same for Anderson and Taylor. The story p
Elle
This is one of the few Mari Carr books I've been able to finish. I liked this story quite a bit but I felt like the smexin' was not in proportion to plot. There was a lot of smexin' and there was some plot development through the smexin' but it just didn't sit quite right. I can't put my finger on it.

The story line is that lifelong friends get it on and then further explore their feelings. It's a cute little story and I enjoyed the flashbacks. I especially liked that this story leads to Everythi
Elle
I'm happy to see that these two books come in one paperback because they are completely related to each other.

These storied involve childhood friends and one extra sibling and have to do with unrequited love. The stories are cute and sweet but they didn't go that extra mile for me.

I read these two books one after the other and I felt there were a lot of similarities in sexual preferences and sexual play as well as endearments. I found it the last name - first name thing really weird and a bit r
Erika Tamblin
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very short book but I really enjoyed it. It was very well written and you cared about the characters. I wanted to give it 5 stars but then ending was not very good. You were going a long in the story and following everything and then all of a sudden you had no idea what was going on or why and then it just ended. I flet like the author new it had to end soon and new what she wanted the last scene to be but didn't know how to get there. Over all i still liked it though and will read mo ...more
Leslie
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

This is the first book I have read by Mari Carr, and I absolutely loved it. Ginny and Ryan's story was fantastic. I loved the fact they were childhood friends, and had remained so throughout the years, but they still really did not know one another until the night they went out. I love stories that have happy endings, without making reads wait for the next book to find out what happens. Fantastic read, and I am looking forward to the next.
Lucy at Rain and Cupcakes Book Blog

I give it a 3 star, because I thought the book is a bit short.

I like the friends concept and thought it was cute and sweet. However the characters and story were lacking serious depth. Even though Ginny was in love with him for a long time, I still find it hard to believe that she would simply obey and accept everything he asks at the club! But I suppose giving the novel was short, the author have to jump to the point straightaway.
Maloup
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maloup by: Kristy
Shelves: erotica, quickies
I love when long time best friends discover their friendship has always meant more than just that. It's great when best friends fall in love, because it's usually true and sweet- they already know everything about each other, especially like in this book when they have been friends since childhood.

But I also liked the fact the Ginny didn't know EVERYTHING about her best friend, and discovering that is what made this book so HOT!
Lesleigh Kaiser
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I rated this book 5 stars , I love the best friends story's .. Ryan is hot . The way he has a way of commanding Ginny and showing her love you could feel it.. I like the way Ginny is a spunky lil thing , but she submits to him . Also this book made wst for her sister , Alex, and Charlie ..

I actually found and started reading Mari Carrs books the big easy series and I was addicted. She does have away with the steamy racy sex scenes .
Tony
The story had it's moments, but the flashbacks broke up the narrative.
Ginny's reaction to seeing her boyfriend at the club didn't feel realistic and Ryan's character didn't feel coherent as both her friend and her lover.

I liked when Ginny got to explore the club on her own and when he put her on display, but other than that.. Meh!
Barbara
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends-to-lovers; bdsm readers
This is an awesome long-time friends-to-lovers story with flashbacks of their history that makes you feel as if you are one of the gang! The characters are well-developed; the smex is super HOT; and by the end I was ready to become a gold-card member of the Way Down Under Club!

Once again, Mari Carr does not disappoint... a great read! Highly recommended.
Katrina
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm
Sugar and Spice was short, hot and yummy. It was a really good friends to lovers story. I do wish that the book was longer and more sex scenes please. But Mari is a brilliant author and I can't wait to read more of her!
Jaime Scarfuto
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book!! I love the whole friends to lovers concept and I love their past history!! I wish the book was longer but I love just about all of Mari Carr's work so I can deal!! The Sequel book Everything nice was also a good read!!
Katherine
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When we put people in a particular box we limit our ability to see them as others do. this story reminds us that sometimes we need to allow people outside the box and allow them to show us who they are.

A beautiful story that's well written and leaves you wanting book 2
Amy
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was crazy HOTT!!! I loved it, and the build up was very good too. The bondage wasn't violent and both characters were equally sexy and wild with their want for each other. I just love happy endings. ♥
Never Stop Reading or Dreaming
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alpha-male
I read this a year ago and completely forgot it. When I saw it on my app, I thought oh I should read this. I only then realized I had read it before. It's kinda fast paced. But I liked it nonetheless
Some Like It Hot!: Any other books like this where couple goes to sex club? 9 90 Sep 04, 2013 04:35AM
  • Mr. Smith's Whip (Taboo Wishes, #4)
  • Sinful Treats (Club Velvet Ice, #1)
  • Into His Keeping
  • Dear Sir, I'm Yours (The Connaghers, #2)
  • Kidnapped for Christmas
  • Graceful Submission (Graceful, #1)
  • Submitting To The Boss (West Coast #2)
  • Bottoms Up (Purgatory Club #5)
  • Away From Me
  • Tamed
  • A Game of Dress-Up
  • Private Investigations
  • Roped In (Bondage Ranch, #1)
  • Maverick's Black Cat (The Boulevard, #1)
  • Wrapped Around Your Finger (Bound to You, #1)
  • The Ultimate Kink (Quinn Security, #2)
  • Unfair Advantage (Diablo Blanco Club, #1)
  • Beg Me
Writing a book was number one on Mari Carr’s bucket list and on her thirty-fourth birthday, she set out to see that goal achieved. Too many years later, her computer is jammed full of stories — novels, novellas, short stories and dead-ends and she has nearly eighty published works.

A Virginia native, Mari Carr is a New York Times and USA TODAY bestseller of contemporary erotic romance novels. With
More about Mari Carr

What Women Like (2 books)
  • Everything Nice (What Women Want, #2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“The idea of committing her body to the hands of a man she trusted was freeing, liberating in a way she couldn't quite explain, even to herself” 3 likes
“I thought if I created some distance, maybe I wouldn't want you to touch me so badly. Maybe I could come to work today and not sit at my desk all day dreaming about every wicked thing I want your hands to do to me” 3 likes