Start by marking “A Rose at Midnight” as Want to Read:
A Rose at Midnight

A Rose at Midnight

Once a daughter of the aristocracy, lovely Ghislaine "Gilly" de Lorgny lives for the destruction of Nicholas Blackthorne—the notorious rake she holds responsible for the cruel loss of her virtue, family and fortune. Now that the rogue has reentered her life, she seizes the opportunity to enact a poisonous revenge—but is abducted by the dashing villain before the deed can b ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 394 pages
Published February 28th 1993 by Avon Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Rose at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rose at Midnight

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

💙 I read this for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2018 Reading Challenge, for the category of: Wildcard - Whatever Romance You Want! For more info on this challenge, click here. 💙

I've had A ROSE AT MIDNIGHT on my to-read list for years and when my friend Heather told me it was on sale on Amazon for 99-cents, I shrieked. There are two kinds of romances that I love, you see: retro romances and romances where the villain gets the girl. This book is both those things. Instant five stars... or so I thought.

The premise of
Blacky *Romance Addict*

No one writes gamma dudes like Anne Stuart. This one was even a bit too gamma for me (that's why it's 4 stars). But brilliant writing!
Ursula
Mara
Apr 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical, romance
I'm sorry to say that Ms Stuart and I are never going to be "writer and fan". I know some of my friends love her, and so I keep trying. But honestly I loathed her historical-romances and barely liked her contemporary ones.

A Rose at Midnight was on offer. Still I tried a sample. And wow. It hooked me. We have this girl coldly waiting to murder the man responsible for her parents' death. So I went to buy it. Unfortunately, both plot and characters went downhill after a few chapters.

I
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I started out really liking this book—it seemed careful and the atmosphere more dangerous than some of Stuart's other books. I was surprised, as much of her work is really repetitive and sometimes has a random ghost plot thrown in for good measure.

It's just that it took so long for anything to happen, as my buddy-reader Nenia pointed out in her review. A lot of it was backstory, which was actually good and surprisingly gritty, but in the meantime the leads were just lightly bantering while the hero casually talked
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is a dark romance novel, but is excellent all the same. It starts with Ghislaine, the heroine, trying to kill Nicholas, the hero. From that point on, you cannot put the book down. This book has wounded, anguished characters who are brought together out of hatred, but find love and fulfillment together. I am a sucker for romances where a person is wounded and damaged, but manage to find a love that heals and fulfills them. Nicholas is definitely a rake, but he is a three-dimensional characte ...more
Katie(babs)
Anne Stuart is known for her alpha heroes who are also damaged beyond repair and her heroines that come along and help tame her mate's inner demons. A Rose At Midnight is a story of two characters who can't forgive each other. The heroine thinks the hero is to blame for everything that happens in her life. She tries to poison him and in turn he kidnaps her trying to force her to his will through seduction and what some may believe is forced and even rape.

Ghislane and Nicholas are two characters
Annabel Joseph
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVED this book. Honestly, I wish I could give it ten stars. It hit my sweet spot in everything. The plot:to:romance ratio was perfect. There was enough plot to keep me reading, but not so much that the romance took a backseat. Oh hell no. The romantic tension went on...and on...and on. I loved the characters and by the time they finally revealed their true feelings to each other I was completely caught up. This book was right on point from the opening pages all the way to the shocki ...more
Crista
This is my first taste of Anne Stuart, and I can say with confidence that it will not be the last. This one will haunt you. It will leave you unsettled long after it's over.

This is really about a tortured HEROINE, a very rare plot-line in romance novels. Ghislaine has lost everything that ever meant anything to her: her parents, brother, home, and even her innocence. She watched her parents be hung, her brother starve and loose his mind, and had to sell her body on the street to survive. How's
Robin
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After escaping Paris during the French Revolution, Ghislaine de Lorgny wants nothing more than revenge against the man she holds responsible for the death of her family. When Nicholas Blackthorne turns up at the home where she works as a chef, Gilly knows that this is her opportunity for payback. But Nicholas turns the tables on her and forces Gilly to go travel with him to his property in Scotland.

This story was published in 1993. The hero is a classic Anne Stuart alpha hero. He has a dark rep
Irene
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-and-bd
After absolutely hating Anne Stuart's To Love A Dark Lord, I picked up A Rose At Midnight with dread. I had purchased both of them at the same time without ever reading anything by Stuart.

As I am cleaning out my Kindle, I opened this up and to my surprise, it's not bad. In fact, it's enjoyable?

There is a pattern to Stuart's books (vampiric heroes, murderous heroines and a romance subplot with Couple B), and here in one of her more popular and recognized books, it works.

A Rose At Mi
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I absolutely love Anne Stuart - no-one writes an alpha male bad boy like she does. She's in a league of her own in that department. The hero of this book is the most alpha of the alphas and he has a nasty streak a mile wide. The skill of this writer is to create heros and sometimes heroines you shouldn't really like or want to care about, such as in this book, but even though they are bad, you still care enough and they have enough redeemable features to keep you glued to the pages and read on i ...more
Saintlyjuliet
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This was definitely not the kind of book I normally read. The heroine blames the hero for a lot of stuff that went wrong in her life. Then she stops blaming him. The journey from these points to love and marriage was filled with plot points that seemed illogical. I'd suggest people read it because it's a good read and the author keeps you engaged. The story of the side characters is adorable but I was disappointed with the side hero's reasons for marrying at first.
Dabney
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Typical Stuart. I liked the secondary romance best. Love Tony and Ellen. Thought the resolution with the long lost brother was odd. Will they really never see each other again?
Twiggy
Dark but very good.

The heroine Ghislaine or 'Gilly ' is the daughter of a French comte who was godfather to the hero Nicholas Blackthorne. A year before the terror hits France properly, the hero is on his grand tour and visits with his godfather. He is about 26 at the time and has been on a downward path of debauchery. However whilst staying with the Comte, he is reluctantly captivated by Ghislaine, but feels bad about this because she is only 15 and he knows that she has become infatuated with
Sharon
Got this on a 99 cent special. It was a bit---rapey for my taste. I'm led to understand that Nicholas the "hero" is a gamma hero, which has some villainous elements to him, which in this case is very true. I was deeply uncomfortable with the idea that the heroine is pretty much getting raped but is battling against her feelings of pleasure and her feelings for her captor. It's dicey, dicey, and not something I love to read in a romance novel.

It was definitely darker than your usual r
Ewa
Oct 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Apparently Anne Stuart likes her heroes to be total assholes.
And in this story you have two jerks for the price of one.
Nicholas is supposed to be this bad boy, and he probably is, but I never came to know whole spectrum of his sins, because I DNFed it thanks to secondary character Tony.

Tony, Tony Tony. You douchebag.

Tony is supposedly nice guy. His friend's sister Ellen has been pining for him for the last 15 years and he's totally aware of it. He even kind of reciprocates her feelings. He i
BRNTerri
May 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
P
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Camy
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Good writing, excellent characters with tragic backstory, very clever dialogue.

The only thing I didn't like about it (view spoiler) I personally thought that a good "masculine" cry and a heartbroken "I'm sorry" would have made this the per
Jaimey
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Touching romance, very nicely executed with a lot of angst. Contains some graphic scenes that I could honestly have done without.
Nessa
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS VERY ANGSTY! As in the you want to scratch out somebody's eyes kind of angst.

OUR HERO may have wronged our heroine by trampling on her tender 15 year old heart when he refused her father's suit for her. Another 15 years later, he still finds himself thinking of her and it won't be long before he meets her in the kitchen of his second cousin. Apparently the woman tried to poison him twice and he didn't know who she was until she told him. For whatever reason, he abducts her w
Jen
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars
The only saving grace of this book is the secondary romance between proper Sir Anthony & shy spinster Ellen.

The main characters had no development, no real background or foundation.

Ghislaine is the daughter of a French Comte. She and her brother live a privileged life. The people revolt, destroy the monarchy - behead the King & Queen and kill the aristocracy that couldn't escape France.

Ghislaine's parents are humiliated & beheaded on the guillotine. Ghislain
Nelly
My 3rd Stuart... And I felt like reading the first two.
The heros are too similar: long dark hair, cruel smile, really mean, uber assholes, no redeeming qualities and absolutely no grovelling at all!
Just a ''I love you, dammit'' at the end is not enough.

Especially in this book. Nicholas had been cruel to Ghislaine, and he never properly acknowledged it. He first met her when she was living with her family, her father being the Comte de Lorgny. France was slowing changing (
Elizabeth
An Old-School book republished in ebook form, the story relies on the “you wronged my family long ago prepare to die” trope. The tale reminded me of other ones I’ve read about a young French female aristocrat losing her family during the Revolution and blaming it on a person she mistakenly believes is responsible, though this book is old enough that it may have been the progenitor.

Sadly I failed to review right after reading so not sure I can grade it. My biggest issue was that I thought the he
BJ
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
3.5 stars at best. The H is quite beyond redemption, he's a brawler, a wastrel and the h blames him for her loss of innocence and family. She is right to do so in some ways, he could have changed her life. So although he does love her in the end, that he could regain his place in society seemed too easily achieved. As for the h, in spite of her previous experiences, once the H got his hands(!) on her, she lost her mind, so of course it must be love - eye-roll. It was the secondary couple that im ...more
Nine Cats
It started really good. The heroine who went through hell, determined to avenge her lost family by poisoning the villain responsible for their misery, and the rake with “devil may care” behavior to hide tender heart? Just bring it on. Well, heroine’s hatred is completely misplaced - there’s no other guilt in Nicholas than her wounded pride and broken teenage heart. Also from strong and hard as nails woman she became a lovesick doormat. The hero was a real asshole and the number and nature of his ...more
Tanisha
I love Anne. I love her so much that if she wrote gibberish, i would still read it. Complain about it but still read it to the very end.
This being said, this was a book which came under the 5* rating.
There were all the usual traits present,
A tragedy
A strong, sassy heroine going through a tragedy.
A hero so sinful that he just lingers on the border of hate and seems to be past any redemption.
A plot so strong that keeps u on ur toes.
And ultimately the writi
Toni
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Historical Romance

The story of Ghislaine was interesting ,but Tony and Ellen’s story was what kept me reading. I would have liked a more in-depth story of the revolution and how it affected the aristocrats in England and Italy and around Europe. It was a most unsettling time around the world and the chain of events that came before and after the French Revolution makes for a rich background for not only romance but all genres of books, plays, and music.
Drache
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very intense.. I loved how the author was able to make the dark H likeable, how we got to know him and care for him, despite his mean and careless behaviour. The h was perfect for him, too. I felt with both her and the H. I loved that we got also to know the side characters and their developing relationship. A great, intriguing book. Although it was very dark for my tastes, definitely 5 stars.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Lady Gallant (European Renaissance Duo, #1; Ladies, #1)
  • Claiming the Courtesan
  • Gabriel's Bride
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • The Sister Swap
  • Gypsy Lady (Louisiana #1)
  • When Angels Fall
  • Wanted (Deadly Secrets #2)
  • Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1)
  • A Lesson in Temptation (Stanton Family, #4)
  • The Devil Earl (Regency Quartet, #2)
  • The Copeland Bride
  • Breaking The Rules
  • Never Call It Love
  • Confessions of a Royal Bridegroom (The Renegade Royals, #2)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies,
“Oh, God," she whispered, sliding her arms around his neck. "Nicholas…"
He pushed her away from him. "I find I'm not in the mood,I'm not very good company right now. I kept away for as long as I could, but the amusements of Venice are not to my taste. I'll relieve you of my presence…"
She caught his wrist, halting him. "Nicholas,I love you."
"Don't," he snapped at her, but he didn't break free. "Don't you understand? Haven't I proved it, time and time again? I'm a monster, not worthy of love, not worthy of anything at all…"
"I love you," she said again, catching his other hand, pulling his arms around her, pulling his tall, tension-racked body tight against hers. "I love you.”
10 likes