Start by marking “Twice Blessed: Everything You Need To Know About Having A Second Child-- Preparing Yourself, Your Marriage, And Your Firstborn For A New Family Of Four” as Want to Read:

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  110 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Joan Leonard's Twice Blessed offers everything you need to know about having a second child--preparing yourself, your marriage, and your firstborn for a new family of four.

Just when you thought you were finally adjusting to being a parent--your stretch marks have faded and you've packed away your nursing bras and maternity clothes--you decide to have a second child. And al
Published March 10th 2000 by Golden Guides from St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Twice Blessed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twice Blessed

Katie
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Katie by: OSU Sibling Class
Shelves: parenting
Really straight-forward, comical advice and recounting of the author's experience. The author, like myself, is a first-born, therefore expresses my sense of life ruination when my little sister arrived on the scene.

A really good book I wish I'd read earlier in my second pregnancy, but am really glad I read before second baby arrives.

Other bonus features: Includes sections of how Dad will feel the second time around, which is a good reminder for me that, oh yeah, he has feelings, too:)

Also, a te
Amy
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
A friend who just had her second child loaned me this book and said that she wished she'd read it before the second was born. There were some reassuring aspects of the book (along the lines of "you're not alone"), but I actually found the book rather stressful. It seemed like there were a lot of messages about how much more difficult it is to have two children and how your marriage is going to take a huge hit -- just not what I needed to hear right now.
jacky
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
By far the best book on this topic I've read so far. I really liked how it was not just about preparing your first born. In all honesty, that wasn't what I was looking for. My mentality when starting these books was how to get Natalie ready. But, as I read this book, I really appreciated how it spend equal time on preparing all the aspects of your life, spending pretty much just as much time on yourself and your marriage as it does your first born.

I know that I said more review to come, but I'v
Molly
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenthood
This book seems to have a very specific audience: middle class, straight, married, comfortable home, mother has the option of staying home, childcare is fairly easy, etcetera. There are a few paragraphs about divorce and adoption, but this book is really meant for the pregnant woman in a nuclear family. And while I happen to be just that, I kept thinking, "What if--?" The book takes a fairly conservative look at parenting: one mother she quotes has a daughter who suggests spanking a fussy child ...more
Cat
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book gives you both sides of the story: the joy of having another child, and also the insane business you will experience. It made me a little intimidated to have another child, honestly, but maybe that's good. I'll get my resources ready and know what to expect for the first few months. I've been very worried about Shea reacting badly to having a sibling, and knowing that guilt is the number one problem postpartum for women with 2nd babies was very helpful. I think that guilt could definit ...more
Nathalie
Mar 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: parenting
Since I found out I was pregnant, I've been looking for something to help me cope with the idea of having two children instead of one. So far, this book is somewhat helpful, but she seems to be writing for ignoramuses - does she really need to explain what La Leche League is? To second-time mothers?

Thank the LAWD it's over! At the risk of sounding Perez Hilton-esque, this woman was obviously more concerned with telling her OWN story rather than giving helpful advice or insight. Oh well...
Rachel
Feb 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting-etc
I didn't love this book, but considering there aren't too many other books out there on the subject I would probably read it again if I was in the same situation. The basics were covered pretty well and while most of what the author said was somewhat obvious, it was still nice to quickly skim over the information. The author's personal experience (and parenting style) showed through a little too much in some of the comments/suggestions she made which I wasn't a huge fan of.
Celeste
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Helped me with ideas of not pressuring your first child into feeling, doing or thinking a certain way about the baby. Also had good ideas on how to help both of them get-along. Easy to skim and get to parts I wanted.
Erin
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Comforting at times to read about other people going through the same situations. But, I felt it too anecdotal/personal at times, and also too focused on the negativity and struggle. Title was misleading.
Jenn
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it, for-the-babes
While I found a few tips helpful, I think most of this book was common sense.
Elke
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
There were a few nuggets in here that were helpful but most of it was common sense and not very concrete.
Dawn
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Some good practicle advice - much of it common sense. It was a fun read thought. I enjoyed the "stories from the trenhes."
Dana
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Some good food for thought here and there, but nothing earth shattering.
Kari G.
Apr 09, 2011 rated it liked it
so far I'm a few pages in...trying to sneak some reading time into my busy Mommy life, while waiting at school pick up ...I hope to get to actually read the important parts of this book soon!!!
Stephanie
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it
not bad, some good things to remember the 2nd time around since it's been awhile. Might be more helpful books, but I liked it.
Julie
Dec 02, 2009 rated it liked it
this is a great book- a lot better than "beyond one". i found it helpful and interesting.
Charlotte
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a pretty basic need to know book, nothing too insightful.
Evie Rabeck
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
Well, half of this was useful and the other half just stressed me out more. So I guess the book just cancels itself out and it's as if I never read it!
Jenny