Start by marking “The Kid Stays in the Picture” as Want to Read:
The Kid Stays in the Picture

The Kid Stays in the Picture

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  2,567 Ratings  ·  219 Reviews
Far more expansive than You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again, The Kid Stays in the Picture by Hollywood giant and legendary "bad boy" Robert Evans is an intimate and fascinating account of his rise, fall, and rise again in show business that makes for a harrowing read. From his early days in radio to popularizing "women in pants" as part of Evan-Picone, to being "disc ...more
Published December 1st 1995 by Audio Literature (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Kid Stays in the Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kid Stays in the Picture

Michael
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is Evans arrogant? Absolutely. Would I want to work for him? Not on your life. Was this a great book? You bet your ass it was.

Robert Evans went from a vague business career, to modest fame as an actor, to become one of the great Hollywood power players of the 60's and 70's. He headed Paramount or worked closely with the studio during the making of Love Story, Rosemary's Baby, The Godfather, Chinatown, Popeye, and a host of others.

He's got fantastic stories, and a singular voice (figuratively and
Kid
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had some trouble with this review - figuring out what to write. First of all this is a ridiculously good page turner - never a dull moment. Secondly some of Hollywood's sacred cows get slaughtered. Coppola comes off like a man lacking the discipline to realize his vision. This book is exhibit one on the evidence table against the fallacy of the auteur - making a movie is a huge collaboration - and sometimes the producer is the driving force behind an incredible accomplishment.

There's a lot
Diana
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the most purely entertaining books I've ever read. Robert Evans is clearly a narcissistic man, but he knows how to tell the story of his fascinating life with panache.
Kim Wong
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baby, this was a fucking enjoyable read. You think the cinematic version captured the essence of Robert Evans? That movie got nothing on the audiobok version of The Kid Stays in the Picture read by Robert Evans himself. Controversial figure? You bet. Fascinating story? Oh, God, yes.

I remember wondering how I would burn one of those Audible.com trial memberships that have been floating around. So what does Kim do? He adds Robert Evans's The Kid Stays in the Picture to his cart and signs up. Pain
Stewart Tame
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Evans' name wasn't immediately familiar to me. I'd heard enough buzz about this book, though, to grab a copy when I spotted it on the shelf. Some early acting roles thrust him into the spotlight, but it was his tenure as studio head at Paramount Pictures that brought him most of his fame and notoriety. Under Evans' leadership, the studio produced such classic films as The Godfather, Chinatown, and many more. He seems to have led an interesting and eventful life, to say the least. Reading some of ...more
Bob Schnell
I've been a big fan of the documentary "The Kid Stays in the Picture" for many years so I was happy to finally get around to reading the source book. If anything, it is crazier than the movie.

Robert Evans has led a life that defies logic. He should be dead, incarcerated, blacklisted or bankrupt many times over, yet he keeps rising from the ashes to "stay in the picture". From radio actor to men's model to schmatta salesman to Hollywood producer, it is quite a ride and a fascinating tale. Having
Taylor Reid
A Hollywood producer in the 1970s who would one day run Paramount Studios, Robert Evans has been married seven times and is a completely bewildering character. His biography lets loose on many fascinating moments in film history, including the filming of The Godfather and what happened when Ali MacGraw left him for Steve McQueen.

I read this book when I was in college, having found it in the bargain bin in my local bookstore at the time. I knew I wanted to work in Hollywood one day so I picked it
Marti
I re-watched the film for the 10th time after I finished this. Were there a lot of stories from the book left out? You betcha! (And the hilarious Documentary Now spoof is what got me thinking about this film again).

I realize I need to create a new book genre called: "Required management texts other than the currently fashionable compendiums of feel-good platitudes like Who Moved My Cheese or Lean In" to name just two.

The fact that this is written in the author's own New York/Hollywood street pat
Will Hines
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard the audio book which I HIGHLY recommend. Evans is 1) a complete narcissist 2) an old-school "Man's man" sexist / stereotyper 3) insanely fun storyteller, with a great sense of humor and melodrama. You WILL impersonate his ridiculous style of talking. Also, I've never done cocaine but after hearing him talk for hours I feel like I got... high? Like I absorbed his shameless confidence/fascination with his own life and was applying it to my own.
Mario Sundar
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the quintessential novel about THE glamorous life led by "The Most Interesting Man in Show Business" - Robert Evans. HBO's "Entourage" is a cheap rip-off of this movie, with actual plotlines seemingly stolen from this book. Robert Evans, along with Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty, Henry Kissinger - now THAT's an Entourage.

Never a dull moment in this humdinger of a read, the book roars through the 60s, 70s through a haze of psychedelic creativity ("Love Story," "The Godfather," "Chinatown,
Robert Haines
Sep 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was only able to get through three-fourths of this book. it is an ego trip and I knew that going in but by the tenth time Evans judged another man's merit by describing him as a "cocksman" I was done. I really wanted some detail about how films like the Godfather and China Town were made. Evans is so self absorbed his only concerns are material possessions (house, clothes, cars, women). I got to the point where I felt slimy and embarrassed to be a member of the male species.
Nathan Rabin
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this the greatest book ever written? You bet your ass it is.
Marc Leverette
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After listening to the audiobook in one straight shot, I'm definately a fan of Evans as the cultural hero/oddball he's become (think Hunter Thompson living in Beverly Hills and making fun of Warren Beatty's dickless image on a poster and you're sort of heading in the right narrative direction), I'm still totally baffled as to the events that must have played out to get him in as head of production. Maybe only Korshak knows what the fuck ever actually went down. Should be heard not read probably.
Ris
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Emily for the loan of this book on tape. It's priceless to hear Evans' drawl... "Was it a good book? You bet your ass it was."
Cathy
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Audible book) A fun memoir read by Robert Evans himself. He tells some of the stories (certain things are left out) of his time in Hollywood with a distinctive voice and mannerisms.
Jeff Swystun
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something smarmy and discomforting about Evans' remembrances. It is not the cocaine conviction or the 'Cotton Club Murder'. Nor the many marriages and dalliances. To say he had a wild, eventful life is an understatement. The discomfort comes from a dark sadness that hangs over this cautionary tale.

Evans seems drawn to the dark even though he has been bronzed by the sun his whole life. As Head of Production at Paramount he oversaw Barefoot in the Park, The Odd Couple, Rosemary's Baby, Tr
Katie
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, yay. I sort of love when things that I picture in my head are pretty much exactly that way. Meaning, I had the whole "Old Hollywood" stereotype in my brain forever - the phones slamming down, deals being made, everyone fucking everyone else. And, well, it's just fabulous that it was true. Maybe not if you lived it, but for a reader, it's great.

Evans writes how I assume he speaks. There's a constant jumpiness, as if he's completely coked out, flitting from thought to thought. He made his life
Lady of the Lake
This is the autobiography of Robert Evans, actor producer head of Paramount Studios. Started in radio as a young boy... Got his big break in film playing Rhonda Shearers (she was a great actress way back when...) husband in a film. Robert Evans is the only actor ever to head up a major film studio. He is the man behind such block busters as The Godfather and China Town. He was married to Ali Magraw and Phyllis George as well as others And dated many starlets and models. He was cdiends with Carey ...more
Durdles
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Fascinating and confusing in equal measure. Quite how Robert Evans managed to remain poor throughout his career took some doing. If he hadn't been such a gambler he'd never have achieved anything. A safe bet would have have left him a discontented multi-millionaire and there would be of no interest to the reader. As things are we can enjoy the Hollywood lifestyle vicariously. Apparently the audio book is the best version to have; Evans has the great voice and acting ability to make this a sought ...more
Deborah
Mar 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: voyeurs
Probably the most fascinating man in Hollywood. This book is just incredibly entertaining and well written, and the documentary that was made after is is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. I am not lying.

Robert Evans has lived about 30 lifetimes and he keeps going. Most notable of being a major producer (chinatown, the godfather, rosemary's baby, harold and maude) and running paramount, going bankrupt and making it all back.

You'll love it if you are in awe of people like Warren B
Melissa
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining glimpse at the entertainment industry from the 50's to the early 90's. Robert Evans has obviously seen and done it all. It has a little bit of a Forrest Gump feel in that you wonder if he was really such an integral part (or almost part) of things like the Sharon Tate murder (he was supposed to be at Polansky's house that night) or the crafting of iconic movies like The Godfather. I think he probably glosses over his involvement in other things like heavy drug use. Regardless, ...more
Tony
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Evans is hilarious without trying to be hilarious (I don't THINK he's trying). If you've seen the Mr. Show sketch with Bob Odenkirk as God (based on Robert Evans) reading the Bible as a book-on-tape, please note that this impersonation is spot on.
To give you a taste: Did I read this book? You bet I did. Did I like it? Does a brand-new baby crap his pants? Would I recommend this book to friends? Baby, if you have to ask, you ain't been listening.
Jeff
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite Patton Oswalt's referring to this book as Satan dictating his memoirs, I thought it was a much more sad tale of rags to riches to . . . well, rich rags I suppose. A cautionary tale and funny book as well.
Aaron
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chilling first person account of one man's arrogant climb to the big leagues in Hollywood, and his subsequent fall. This taken in front of an audience of cutthroat friends and peers. Evans tells it like it is.
Roberta Trevisan Marques de Souza
I don't know what to say about this. I just had finished. I will write some decent sentences one day, but I had learned a lot with book.
Patty
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not great literature, but it's pretty funny. Better on audio book because Robert Evans has such a unique voice.
Michelle
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it. I am a few chapters from the end but am slowing down because I dont want it to end. The quality of writing is patchy, but fuckit, who cares! The story is worth it.
R
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books...I have read and listened to it probably a dozen times. You have to get a copy of the audio book, though. This book is well told, not well written.
Steve Coscia
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book reads like fiction. This guy was part of motion picture history. Plus, the behind the scenes politics is fascinating.
Aaron
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can you write an entire book in rhetorical questions? Apparently you can. Does it make for a good book? You bet your ass it doesn't.
  • You'll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade
  • Making Movies
  • Scorsese on Scorsese
  • Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood
  • High Concept: Don Simpson and the Hollywood Culture of Excess
Robert Evans (born Robert J. Shapera) is an American film producer best known for his work on Rosemary's Baby, Love Story, The Godfather and Chinatown as well as his hedonistic lifestyle and seven marriages.
More about Robert Evans...

“Getting into action generates inspiration. Don’t cop out waiting for inspiration to get you back into action. It won’t! Before I take a hike, I leave you with this thought: It’s not a compliment when someone tells you you’re a survivor. It’s bullshit. We’re all survivors till we die. Get out there, go for it, don’t be afraid. Be a winner—that’s what it’s all about.” 1 likes
“Let the wealth of remembrances past be the link of friendship treasured.” 1 likes