Start by marking “Atlas of the Civil War: A Complete Guide to the Tactics and Terrain of Battle” as Want to Read:
Atlas of the Civil War: A Complete Guide to the Tactics and Terrain of Battle

Atlas of the Civil War: A Complete Guide to the Tactics and Terrain of Battle

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Atlas of the Civil War: A Comprehensive Guide to the Tactics and Terrain of Battle
Published October 20th 2009 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Atlas of the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atlas of the Civil War

Timons Esaias
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Because my university students don't know geography to begin with, much less the impact of geography on warfare, I was certain that I wanted an Atlas of the Civil War for my Civil War class. In the Oakland library I got my hands on this one, and decided (despite the price) that it would be the one.

As with most historical atlases, there are a couple of problems. Sometimes the number dots (twice, if I recall) didn't actually get printed on the map, so we have a key and no lock. Sometimes the desir
John Nelson
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book for a Christmas gift. The maps are good, as one would expect from a book published by the National Geographic Society. The accompanying discussion, however, is too cursory to really explain what happened at each battle, even in broad outline form, and the authors do not even discuss events that took place behind the front lines, no matter how important. On the whole, this book is a worthwhile if quick read, so long as one seeks nothing more than a quick overview of the war's ...more
Vincent
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
A ready good reference that I used to accompany my reading of the Battle Cry of Freedom.
I found it not perfect sometimes and hard to understand sometimes but it was complicated.
I found that some of the usage of "historical" old maps made understanding harder but in a way they made it easier.
I will continue to use this book and maybe will upgrade the three stars it has from me for now.
Sande
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great maps on every page, and most were made at the time. This is my go-to book as I study the Civil War, because each battle is visible and understandable on two huge pages. I must now take my copy back to the library and save money to buy my own copy. It's a keeper.
Becky
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Beautiful book. You could spend hours looking at the historical maps and photos. The facts and details in the write-ups and captions are just as interesting.
Dominique
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: history

I found some of the images used in this book disturbing but effective. The maps are fantastic and it is worth the read.
Robert