Start by marking “The Last Days of Krypton” as Want to Read:
The Last Days of Krypton

The Last Days of Krypton

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,716 Ratings  ·  249 Reviews
Finally, the epic tale that has never been told: the tragic story of the destruction of Superman's home planet.

Everyone knows how Kal-El—Superman—was sent to Earth before his planet exploded. Now Kevin J. Anderson unfolds the riveting backstory of this iconic superhero. The Last Days of Krypton is a sweeping tale of the politics and betrayals that blinded both heroes and
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 15th 2007 by Tantor Media (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Days of Krypton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Days of Krypton

Best prose novel about Superman's universe that I've read so far!

I did a big bet on this novel since I didn't wait even to know much about reviews of it or even waiting for the softcover and I ordered right away the first printing hardcover edition when the novel just came out (back then in 2008).

I don't know, for some reason I had faith that the book would be a good one...

...and the faith paid off.

Since it actually was a very good book.

I had very good memo
Apr 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fantasy
Nov 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, after three years I was able to read this book over the course of a short road trip. It's an enjoyable read, but this book fell just short of being epic. We know the planet blows up, right? Good, not too many spoilers follow...

I'll list my gripes first:

Jor-El: He is supposed to be the most brilliant man on all of Krypton but this is sacrificed at the altar of "science must come first" at any cost and also at the altar of common sense. He could tell you how much water a glass can hold, b
Michael Kucharski
May 18, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the most disappointing book I have read this year (2007). It disappoints on so many levels and in so many ways. For starters, with over sixty books to his credit, I was expecting something better; granted with half of those books based on the work of others (George Lucas, Frank Herbert, A, E, Vogt, and others) so perhaps it is not unexpected that this book disappoints. Much like today’s comicbook writers, either because of a lack of their own creativity or because of corporate demands, ...more
Dec 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
GoodReads/Amazon management is censoring reviews from the sight of their "community". Criticism of the acquisition of GoodReads by Amazon results in the summary disappearance of the review from the book listing, without informing the reviewer. The complete version of this review has therefore been moved to the following sites:

If you, like
Anja Braun
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Superman fans
I didn't want to put this book down and it was with great reluctance when I had too!! If you ever wanted to know more about Kal-El's birthplace then this is the book for you. How did Jor-El meet Lara? Who created the Phantom Zone? The deviousness of Zod and how Nam-Ek and Aethyr became his companions. The total stupidity of the Kryptonian council and why they are to blame for the destruction of Krypton. The story of Kandor and why Brainic did what he did. Jor-El taking back Kryptonopolis from Zo ...more
Jan 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Despite the mixed reviews, I thought Kevin J. Anderson did a good job portraying life on Krypton. I have often wondered, if Krypton were so much more advanced than Earth, why didn't they explore new worlds? Why when the planet exploded, there were no Kryptonians around except those that barely escaped? Anderson answers these and more in a thick book about the rise and fall of Krypton.

Krypton is like Rome was in its waning days of the Empire. Fat from its long, proud history, there is little cre
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
An exciting and (considering how often the story has been told and re-told) surprisingly fresh insight into the back-story of one of the most iconic fictional figures of the last century. Anderson has united elements of many of the various back-stories behind Krypton, but in doing so has put a wholly new spin on the destruction of Krypton. The story is elegantly put together, The characters are well developed, and yet still very comprehensible in their motivations and actions. The setting is as ...more
I haven't actually read any of the Superman comics, so I have no beef with this book's details and it seems to mesh well with what I remember from all the films and tv series. So, it had some interesting information and served as a pretty good summary of the backgrounds of Zod, Jor-El, etc.
Having said that, though, I agree that this book seems to have been written for the average 8th grader. (Unfortunately, more of what I have come to expect from Kevin Anderson novels.) Extremely light character
Nov 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan: I haven't read science fiction in years, but this book caught my eye in the library. It's about Superman's home planet, in case you ever wanted to know where he came from. I did, and I had such high hopes, but this book was a thorough letdown. The dialogue was unrealistic, the characters were shallow, the storyline was weak and unbelievable. It seemed to have been written for 8th graders. If you're a Superman fan, I recommend you simply leave his homeplanet's fate to your own imagination.
Higor Hebert
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Em termos de lore para o Superman, este livro é uma das minhas fontes favoritas.
Eu adorei como o Zod foi executado aqui. Todos os personagens foram bem feitos em minha opinião, mas o destaque do livro para mim foi ele. Na verdade eu até "torci" para ele em alguns momentos.
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
You can find the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the audiobook edition of Kevin J. Anderson’s novel about the fall of Superman’s world and its final moments.

“Emotionally super-charged, this is a story that is not to be missed.” ~The Founding Fields

Up until I read Matt Forbeck’s Brave New World trilogy and Adam Christopher’s Seven Wonders last year I don’t think I’ve ever read a superhero novel. Or a comics tie-in for that matter.
This was an "okay" book; it was mildly entertaining. I would say somewhere between 2.3 and 2.5 stars. After it was over, it was a "meh" and I moved on to my next book. It was slow reading; it felt longer than it was. It almost felt like it could have been broken down into two books, but that would definitely have been a minimum of one book too many. The character development was all right; as the readers obviously know what was going to happen [in the end] it was pretty anticlimactic.

I suppose
Tom Velasco
Feb 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh...never has my incurable need to finish a book once started been tested like this. It was absolute torture to read this monstrosity and I have longed for the day when I could safely put this down, knowing that I would never have to read another word again. Without any exaggeration, I can say that this is the undisputed champion of crappy novels. Of all the books I've ever read, nothing comes close to this putrescent turd. Not only was the diction puerile and stupid, the plotting ludicrous, a ...more
Rob Lada-something
I don't want to waste too much time talking about how terrible this book was. I read it because it was recommended to me by someone of whom I've recommended about a dozen books, otherwise I would have put it down about 1/3 of the way through.

Most of their characterizations were established by the book telling us that was the way they were. The book kept insisting that Jor-El was a genius who was well established in his community, but then he kept making idiotic decisions that didn't make any sen
Shannon McGee
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes place about 2 years before the birth of Superman, a.k.a. Kal-el. We follow Jor-el and Lara (Kal-el's parents); Zor-el (brother to Jor-el); and General Zod, Aethyr and Nam-Ek (the main bad guys). It tells a story about people trying to survives through great crisis. I had not really read many comicbook-based novel, so this was new to me.

The flow of the book moves smoothly through each of the chapters, which are short but have a lot of action throughout. The characters are entertai
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who is even remotely interested in comic books knows the story of Superman, the sole survivor of the doomed planet Krypton, sent to Earth in the planet's final moments to seek a new beginning under our strengthening yellow sun. However, few know the true story of Krypton itself. Why was the planet destroyed? When and how? Who were Kal-El's parents, and what were they like? And just who is Zod? All these questions and more are answered in Kevin J. Anderson's The Last Days of Krypton . In ...more
I love reading stories about superheroes. And it's fun to delve into the background of Superman. What were his parents like? What transpired on Krypton before he was born?

And I enjoyed this story. One thing that I noticed was that I didn't really get into the story and care for the characters as much as I do in other books. I don't know if that has to do with Anderson's writing, or because I brought so much to the book, and kept imagining the opening scenes of the 1978 Superman film and super-i
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any superman fans or those who just plain like sf
I really enjoyed this novel a lot more than I thought I would. I only picked it up, because this is the only book by Kevin J. Anderson that my local library has, outside of all of the Dune novels co-written with Brian Herbert. The concept and outline of this novel are put together quite well. There aren't any spots in this book that move at a slow pace.
This was so well written that I found it hard to put it down once I started! The characters were very well developed and when the end is coming,
Greg Lindsay
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So I just finished The Last Days of Krypton for the first time. I put it off reading it because I've never really been a big Superman fan, more of a Captain America and Batman fan.
But now I wish I hadn't, this book was truly awesome. Very rich in detail without slowing the story. All the characters were wonderful and even right up till the end I was hoping that Jor-El would find a way to save Krypton even though I knew that was not going to happen-couldn't happen.
I'd actually LOVE to see a boo
This was an interesting read. I liked finding out a little more about Krypton and Kal-El's parents and family. I think Anderson did a good job creating Kryptonian society, and tying in several things from the greater Superman universe (Argos City, General Zod and friends, Brainiac, and so on).

The only frustration I had with the book was that Anderson seemed to be writing to a midgrade or YA market with the tone of his writing. It was very disconcerting for a book not obviously marketed to those
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The “Last Days of Krypton” was an awesome telling of the events leading up to baby Superman’s journey to earth. I was never a diehard comic book person and only read a few here or there, so up until I read this book, I really only had glimpses of what happened to Superman’s home planet thru little bits of comic books, or movies, and even TV shows. This really gave me a whole complete picture.

The characters were portrayed loyal to what I’ve read and seen in the DC universe, identifying with them
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-comics
Kevin J. Anderson is experienced at taking pre-existing charcters or settings (Dune, Star Wars) and producing novels that expand said universes. Here it is somewhat hit and miss since he's working with one of the most enduring mythos of modern fiction - Superman and his origin. What he added to the story, I have no problems with, it's what he changed that bothers me and many others. Mainly that he turned Jor-El (Superman's father) into an absent minded professor type who is hopelessly naive inst ...more
Sep 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated-it
I happened upon this book because the books I was looking for weren't on the shelves and I started perusing for something interesting. Boy was I wrong. After chapter 2 I became convinced that the book was dry and predictable. Every page I after just convinced me further. I guess its my own fault. I never liked books where the outcome is known from the start but I tried anyhow. The only thing left to tell in books where the story is known is character depth and evolution, which is poorly done.
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What did I think? I thought it sucked. I might have liked it if I read this when I was 13. This is what it reminded me of: Kryptonopolis = Nazi Germany, General Zod = Hitler, the Ring of Strength = the Gestapo, Jor-El and Zor-El = Kryptonian partisan leaders. We all know how it ends.

I was kinda bothered by the cheesy Superman references: "is it a bird? is it an airship?", "truth and justice". "Kneel before Zod" was the only one that I didn't mind and kinda hoped would make an appearance.

I have n
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: kja
Kevin J. Anderson delivers a well written chapter of the history of Krypton as he brings the "Man of Steel's" home world to it's knees.

We've all heard the stories of how Krypton met its demise. Now Anderson has created a wonderfully chaotic vision of the tragic event in full.

I was very pleased with the characters, the settings and the end result... well, it was kind of a bummer that Krypton.. well... you know.

At any rate. I have already been telling people they need to check out this book.

As alw
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Days of Krypton is a very good prequel to Superman. It shows the struggles Jor-El goes through and how it all changes him. Jor-El develops a lot from his shy, lonely, non-political scientist that he was at the beginning of the book. This book also tells the story of well known characters like Lara and Zod, as well as lesser known characters such as Zor-El and Nam-Ek. Every single important character in this story develops so well like Jor-El. This definitely explained a lot about Supe ...more
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really enjoyable prequel of sorts to the Superman saga. All of the little snippets of Krypton history that I've heard over the years are assembled here together, and like a jigsaw puzzle, they all fit together in a really satisfying way. It's well-written, but really descriptive in that way that can make sci-fi and fantasy a bit laborious to read sometimes.

The only reason I'm not giving it a higher rating is because there really isn't much there with any depth; it's a comic book in n
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The overall story was interesting and kept my anticipation for wanting to turn the next page, but after about a fourth of the way in it started reading more like a corny B movie. I read this after reading a Star Trek book called Imzadi which was very badly written, so when I began this book, it seemed it would be much better. It became mediocre and turned out to be only fair, though. I think I am going to read something from Edgar Rice Burroughs and see how well he does science fiction.
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths
  • Wolverine: Weapon X
  • BATMAN: Gotham Knight
  • DC Universe:  Helltown
  • The DC Comics Encyclopedia
  • Hellhole Awakening (Hellhole, #2)
  • The Further Adventures of Batman
  • Wolverine: Lifeblood
  • Batman: Fear Itself
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil Pear ...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake
    $8.99 $1.99
“The best enemies are fabricated enemies for two reasons: one, we have nothing to worry about, and two, the populace falls in line.” 0 likes
“He didn’t say a word, but he grew coldly, murderously furious.” 0 likes