Start by marking “Black is for Beginnings (Blue Is For Nightmares, #5)” as Want to Read:
Black is for Beginnings (Blue Is For Nightmares, #5)

Black is for Beginnings

(Blue is for Nightmares #5)

It's happening again... The BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES series that put a spell on more than half a million readers continues - in graphic novel format!

Prophetic dreams. Near-brushes with death. Killers pursuing her and her friends. Stacey Brown knows that being a hereditary witch isn't all it's cracked up to be. Stacey's nightmares are back. And all she wants to do is go to C
Published September 8th 2009 by Flux (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Black is for Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black is for Beginnings

Daniella
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really really liked the first four books of this series- I thought they were all really good. I ordered Black is for Beginnings actually not realizing it was a graphic novel. When I got it in the mail I tried it out. I did not like it at all. It took me not even a half hour to read. The information was good- I liked knowing more about the characters and what happened after the fourth book, but I just really don't understand why it was made into a graphic novel. I think it should have been made ...more
Marsha
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
I just loved the Blue is for Nightmares series; so, I cannot tell you how dissappointed I was with Black is for Beginnings. This "graphic novel" is nothing more than a 160 page glorified comic strip that retells what happened in the first four books and yields very little new information. There is no action, no intrigue and no solid plot. Laurie Faria Stolarz should have just ended the series with the fourth book if this is all her creative juices could come up with.Fans of Blue Don't waste your ...more
Arielle Walker
The thing about this book is that it's definitely nice to know how the main characters end up, but I found that the book lacked substance, and it frustrated me that most of the short story was taken up with re-caps from the previous books. I just feel it is an unnecessary addition to a very good series.
Jenn
...

I don't even know.

This book shouldn't even exist. It did nothing except tie everything up all pretty with no real substance. Honestly, I felt like I was reading an Archie comic. Like the tales of Betty & Veronica. And these characters, no way in hell are they college students. They are twelve...seriously.

Over half of this book was information we already knew, just now it was accompanied by horrible artwork. I did giggle at the 'Presenting Tim' page...oh the cowboy hat. And is it weird th
Tess
Nov 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: series, owned
For me, this book ruined the series. I have nothing against this style, but I don't like how this was the only one that was like this. On top of that, I didn't like how Laurie Stolarz finished it either. The entire book showed that she only wrote it because she wanted people to buy it, not because she actually cared about what happened to the characters.
Mena
Aug 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I'm a big fan of the BIFN series, and when I first heard about Black Is For Beginnings, I was super stoked. When I heard it was going to be a thin graphic novel, a little less stoked. After I read it, not so stoked and wanting more.

I liked getting to see more about Jacob's past and a glimpse into his family life, but besides this and my excitement over getting to see what the characters were meant to look like, I felt like most of the book was just a recap. Yes, we know about Stacey's past, we k
Nick
The Blue is for Nightmares series has involved murders, stalkers, psychic phenomena, magic and all kinds of dramatic things. Then it was announced that the fifth book would be a graphic novel, a direct sequel to the other four books, and a delighted squeal went up from the fans.
Given the strong reviews for this book, I found it a little disappointing. It's a nice little add-on to the four novels, but not a great story on its own. Newcomers to the series will not find this to be a good jumping-on
Tiffany
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was glad to see closure for the characters and us, the audience.I was so excited to have an update on my favorite characters. I expected so much more from her. The first four books were so great. This series was my favorite when I was a teenager. I read each book multiple times. I was disappointed when I saw this was in graphic novel form but I gave it a shot. In the end I wasn't crazy about the graphic novel form since, after four book I already had a picture of what each character looked lik ...more
Miss Ryoko
May 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Awwwww!!! The series is over now :-( *heart break*

I thought I was going to dig the graphic novel the most because I love reading this type of media...however, the books were way better.

The graphic novel really just wrapped up what ended up happening with Stacey and Jacob, which of course I wanted, but I would have enjoyed more new storyline. Over half the novel was just recapping what happened in the books.

Anyway, I still liked it and I still cried at the end! Haha! Though, I did NOT enjoy the w
Alicia
Jan 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I'd like to know why Stolarz decided to make the fifth installment of the Blue is for Nightmares series a graphic novel. I hope she writes more, just not in graphic novel format. I know it would draw more readers, like the Vampire Kisses series, but make it a parallel series, not part of the set.

I was disappointed in the type-set for the journal entries, it was too small to read. She also spent almost two-thirds of the book re-capping the last four books instead of moving on with the Stacey/Jac
Kimberly Callegan
Mar 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was set up as a comic book novel. It was really weird and I did not like the plot at all. Very disappointed. I'm not sure if this is the last book in the series. It seems that it is. I've read all 5 books. I looked at the author's website and she indiciated that she wasn't sure how many books would be in the collection. Being I've read this far into them, I would buy the next book, but I would hope it would be in novel format and not comic book.
Courtney
For a graphic novel this book was really good! I don't like graphic novels at all, but I read this because it was part of another series I have read and loved, and I wanted to know what happens. I still hope that it's not just going to be a graphic novel and that it will become a regular novel, but all in all this was really good! Really enjoyed it. And I love the ending! Totally cute and awesome!
Sharkgrl920
uh whats with the cover.....
Bre Severance
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it was very good and i didnt even know it was in comic form. it was very cool and i thought it was amazing and it sums up everything and the ending is awesome!!!!!
Kayley Ann
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Allyson Chase
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rate this book a 4! This book was such an amazing experience to read. There were some parts that made me confused, and there were parts that made me have multiple different emotions going all at once. I was feeling upset, anger, and happiness. At the beginning of the book I was really confused, because the book started off really weird, but as I continued the book I started to keep up with the book and understand it more. This book even though made me have multiple different emotions all in on ...more
Jen
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked this up at work when I happened across it while shelving and, feeling nostalgic, I started reading it on my downtime. Despite not having read the original series since middle school, I felt like I remembered a lot of the original plot and was actually a little annoyed when there was a trip down memory lane to refresh everyone what Stacey had gone through in the first four books. This was a very bare-bones story that did little to further the story, it just gave a sort-of conclusion to S ...more
Meg
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book was about Stacy and Jacob not being able to see each other anymore. After he moved back home to Colorado his ex girlfriend helped him remember his past. They started dating again and Jacob never told Stacey about her. Stacey goes and visits Jacob in Colorado and finds out that he is cheating on her.
I wish that the book had more mystery in it like the other books. It was just a love story of how they ended up together. I thought that they could have built some mystery up of them becomin
Journey Smith
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a quick read, and went pretty fast. The graphic's were really good, and I enjoyed reading it. Two people from across the country were having dreams that would eventually happen in real life and one day the met each other finally. The story is about how the dreams helped them to their advantage and for the better. I would read more of this author's book's. I really enjoyed it. It was dark, but also funny, and romantic. Jacob and Stacey had a long journey, but finally met and it was ...more
Darienne Keniece
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I fell in love with this series when I was very young, and I recently reread Blue-Silver. When I found out about Black I ordered it immediately and I couldn’t wait to crack it open. Imagine my surprise when I realized that I was written in comic book style, unlike any of its predecessors.

I believe this book was written to satisfy the cliff hanger from Silver, but I didn’t feel my thirst had been quenched. To be brutally honest, I felt a little cheated. This book hurt me, and I’m still not over
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
These books are gripping paranormal mysteries that are great for reluctant teen readers. This series follows Stacey Brown, a young Wiccan with psychic powers. Stacey learns to use her abilities in order to investigate crimes, missing persons, and complications that come up in her daily life. As the series evolves Stacey graduates from high school, learns how to better harness her abilities, and sorts through her complicated love life.

-Miss Emily
Geraldine Menten
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Part of a Library summer challenge. I was to read a graphic novel. It was geared more to the young reader, but I would not want a child of mine to read it. Witchcraft, spells, crystals, colors, flowers. A bunch of superstitious nonsense.
Danielle
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This graphic novel should not have been associated with the fabulous book series because it just isn't nearly as good as the books. Most of it was just a re-telling of what happened in Red is for Remembrance using illustrations. I was more satisfied with the ending of Red is for Remembrance.
Lindsay
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
I liked how this ended the series. I’m very thankful it was just a graphic novel though because I was ready to be done with this series. Not because it’s horrible, but because I feel like I’ve been reading it for years!
Nicole Shafer
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Probably not smart to start a series on book 5? Anyway, not a fan.
MrsMamfa
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn’t realise this was part of a series but I wouldn’t have needed to read the other books to follow the plot. It was a quick read, just not very exciting.
Emma
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a cute way to solidify the ending of a series.
Terry Mulcahy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Stupid. I should have checked the age recommendations on this before bundling it with my order of some other books. Age 9-12 or grade 7? Sheesh. No kidding.
Donna
Nov 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This isn't a book review since I don't have the whole book. It's just a bound preview edition that's the first 99 pages of the book itself. I figured why not put in some cents on it, right? It's not going to get a rating or anything since I don't think it's fair to rate something based on a portion of it. But I can give an impression of it.

I know with this series I'm not coming in in the right place and in all honesty, I don't know if I'm the best person to be judging graphic novels. I just don'
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Reason for Reading: Cybils nominee.

Summary: This is actually the fifth book in a series. The previous four books were regular novels; this fifth graphic novel can also be considered a prequel as it tells the story of how the two main characters, Stacey and Jacob, met through the prophetic dreams they both share.

Comments: I enjoyed this book. It's an odd situation coming into the series with the fifth written book but since this tells the backstory of the two principle characters it was very easy
I don't understand... 3 24 Aug 16, 2012 08:39PM
The Cover... 3 26 Jun 10, 2011 10:49PM
the cover 1 20 Jul 13, 2009 06:26PM
  • Spring  (Witch Season, #4)
  • Magician's Muse (The Seer, #6)
  • Fall  (Witch Season, #2)
  • 妖狐×僕SS [Inu x Boku Secret Service] 04
  • No Exit (The Big Empty, #4)
  • Web of Darkness (The Fall of Atlantis, #2)
  • Kith (The Good Neighbors, #2)
  • Shutterbox, Volume 2 (Shutterbox, #2)
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 2
  • Ghost Hunt, Volume 11 (Ghost Hunt, #11)
  • You're My Girlfriend
  • Paradise Kiss, Part 1
  • The Becoming (Daughters of the Moon, #12)
Laurie Faria Stolarz grew up in Salem, MA, attended Merrimack College, and received an MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College in Boston.

Laurie Faria Stolarz is an American author of young adult fiction novels, best known for her Blue is for Nightmares series. Her works, which feature teenage protagonists, blend elements found in mystery and romance novels.

Stolarz found sales success with he

Blue is for Nightmares (5 books)
  • Blue is for Nightmares (Blue is for Nightmares, #1)
  • White Is for Magic (Blue is for Nightmares, #2)
  • Silver Is for Secrets (Blue is for Nightmares, #3)
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)