Start by marking “The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level” as Want to Read:
The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level

The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  14,174 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews
In The Big Leap, Gay Hendricks, the New York Times bestselling author of Five Wishes, demonstrates how to eliminate the barriers to success by overcoming false fears and beliefs. Fans of Wayne Dyer, Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson, and The Secret will find useful, effective tips for breaking down the walls to a better life in The Big Leap.
hardcover, 224 pages
Published April 21st 2009 by HarperOne (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Leap, please sign up.
Tiklu Ganguly When we are trying to be successful when we are trying to give our "a" game every day, there are times when we become our worst enemy. Our mind plays …moreWhen we are trying to be successful when we are trying to give our "a" game every day, there are times when we become our worst enemy. Our mind plays against us and stops us to reach out to our very best. This book provides tips and tricks about how to overcome that. So if that is what you are looking for. you should definitely read this book.(less)

·  14,174 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews

Start your review of The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
Cara
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy fuckety fuck, I wish I'd read this two years ago! Self-sabotage? Success/crash cycle? It's in there! Finally, an explanation! I'm only in chapter 2, but so far it's pure gold. Can't wait to read the rest and solve my shit!

...

Finished. Loved it. I give this my highest recommendation. Even for people who don't sabotage their own happiness and success, there's a lot of great stuff in here about making the most of your life.

Here's what it means for me:
I upper-limit myself because I believe I'm
Mary Mulliken
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was annoying. The author is arrogant and, while he has some good ideas, doesn't explain them in enough detail for them to be very helpful. It seemed like this book was written in a couple of days and not edited. As a coach, I feel concerned and turned off by his rather broad definition of "success" -- one that seems entirely money and power based without any consciousness of ethics or morality or social/environmental impact. This kind of climbing seems very dated to me, and therefore, ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Other than saying a person has a tendency to sabotage when things are going good (the so called Upper Limit Problem), this is a load of quackery, with a huckster using his vast number of prestigious clients - executives, CEOs, and stockbrokers - to prove his miracle cure that will make grown people gasp! The depths of this come with the chapter on Einstein Time, a concept that doesn’t exist and is so badly twisted for this pop schlock, the book deserves -1 million stars solely for
Ted
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is a book that has some truth, some helpful suggestions for how to live life. However, they are few and far between. Most of the book is filler, stories of the author's accomplishments, famous people he has helped, or stuff he has acquired. I would not recommend reading this book. ...more
Shiri
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was a confusing mix of startling, deep insights about fear of success and self-sabotaging behaviors, sitting side-by-side with pseudoscientific, feel good, "The Secret"-style B.S. - the latter complete with shaming and victim blaming for illnesses and accidents.

Many of the examples used in the book were contrived or exaggerated to the point of silliness. Paraphrased: "I urged him to follow his dreams, and he said, sure, maybe at some point. I never saw him again. Two weeks later, I he
Moira Eberle

Love the ideas in this book. Thoughtful and thought provoking. I am sometimes hindered by the language though. The metaphors and terminology are a bit too sports, big business or California life coach oriented for me to be able to relate (the "zone of genius" and "keys to liberation" for example). But if you forget those verbal shortcuts the concepts themselves are both simple and powerful.
So in the spirit of "take what works and leave the rest" the lessons in this book can really help you bre
Bianca
I can't remember what pushed me to place a hold on this book, I must have heard someone talk about it.

To be honest, this got on my bad side from the beginning. It was because of its tone, the wording - very corporate and prosperity gospel sounding. Hendricks does all that corporate consultant spill - which is hard for me to swallow. I told myself off and pushed on, aware of my dislikes and prejudices. Many of us have self-limiting beliefs and are good self-saboteurs. Some of us even fear success
Mark
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I agree with many reviews here that the tone can be off-putting, I thought this was an excellent set of ideas and discussion points. There's a lot in this book that is directly applicable in my life, and it's a book I think I'll download as well ... just to have an e-copy always as hand for browsing and dipping in and out. I think this is the only time I have found myself wishing I could talk to the author in a one-on-one session.

However, "Einstein Time"? For heaven's sake, just rip the ch
Andrew Padilla
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I first began a "sales" career a couple years back, and first experienced the rejection-dense nature of the industry, I thought, naturally, that embarking on a "self-help" reading journey would serve innumerable benefits.

Boy, was I right in all the ways I didn't initially expect. At the time, The Big Leap by Gay Hendricks was one of the first books I read. So much of it stuck with me in a way that many other self-help books didn't. I thought I'd give it another go given the initial impact
trisha
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
So repetitive. The whole concept could be summarized effectively in one paragraph.
Emma Sea
May 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
I read this without realising it was recommended for people who liked The Secret', and I'm pleased about that, because I would not have picked it up if I'd known.

I didn't love the book. The case studies were scant and lacked information, and the 'Zone of Genius' is slightly too hokey for me. I don't trust the author because he talks himself up a bit more than I'm willing to believe.

But there's something in here that hit me in the gut.

I am allowed to be good at shit.

I am allowed to be happy.

I am
Donovan
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mind boggling read!
This book was recommended to me by my coach Judymay when I was facing challenges in where is the next level for me. I know now why she chose it.
The book is an easy read yet it packs a punch if you do the exercises and play full out. The foundation of the book is the fact that we are all born to win, but when we get a feel for winning, we back down and go back to our comfort zone. Hendricks also offers so ideas of how we can operate in our genius zone more often.
On the whole I
Jurgen Dhaese
A short book with an amazing message that could've been a whole lot better if it was twice as short.

The key points in the first half of the book are simply amazing :

We have an artificial limit on our happiness, and once we transcend it, we sabotage ourselves and do what we can to keep us unhappy.

Realizing that upper limit problem is the best way to break through it and enjoy more happiness in our lives.

Yet, the second half of the book is very flimsy, doesn't add much, and could've been cut.

Was t
Blaine
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library, 2015
I don't read many self-help books, but my boss recommended this one, so I gave it a try. While I found some of the concepts interesting, in the end I can't say that I was persuaded by the author. All of his points are made through either examples from his own life, or anecdotes about people he knows. There is not a single footnote or source for any of his assertions. Given that the entire thesis of his book is that people engage in constant self-sabotage that prevents them from achieving more su ...more
Caitlin
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
It has some good ideas to think about including some reasons about why people self-sabotage. I found a lot of the author's names for his ideas to be a bit grating - like the "Zone of Genius." I'm also sceptical of anyone who uses any variant of 'synergy' without irony.
What really irritated me was that a great deal of the writing makes me feel like I'm reading an infomercial for the author's methods. Instead of being straight and getting to the point, he spends a lot of time talking about how his
Kirsty
Aug 10, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
Waste of time. Basically, it's our own fault for not succeeding because we are all scared of our own success. He calls it the "Upper Limit Problem" but you have probably heard it called "Imposter Syndrome" where we don't believe we deserve or earned our successes and he says we will then self-sabotage ourselves. This basically repeats throughout the entirety of the book while he tells you about all the CEOs and famous people he has worked with.

There's a lot more wrong with this book, but I don'
Morgan
The insightful parts of this book — and there definitely are some — are drowned out by negatives like pseudoscience, victim shaming, bragging, and so on. This is my first and will be my last read by Gay Hendricks.
Steven Woloszyk - (Wa-LUSH-ick)
Sometimes, you pick up a book and just can't put it down. Something grabs you right away and pulls you along. It's like the author is speaking directly to you. That was the case with this one. There were a number of themes in this book that resonated with me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This book is all about understanding limiting beliefs, discovering from where they are derived, and learning how to bust through your self-imposed upper limit to realize your full potential.

We learn about the four
Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-bingo-2015
While there might be a few takeaways for me in this book, I'm certain I am not the target audience. Or if I am, Dr. Hendricks is hopelessly out of touch with non-millionare/billionaire people with family/similar responsibilities. But I think it's probably the former. ...more
Cav
"When you reach the end of your life and are wondering whether it’s all been worthwhile, you’ll be measuring whether you did everything you possibly could with the gifts you’ve been given...

I like to read books on how to better oneself from time to time, so I put this one on my list when I came across it by chance. The book was somewhat decent, but not without its flaws...

Author Gay Hendricks is a psychologist, writer, and teacher in the field of personal growth, relationships, and body intellig
Jon
Mar 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Top 5 non-fiction book of all time for me. I’m going to buy a case.
Nati S
This book is about the Upper Limit Problem.

Have you noticed that your moments of serenity are always fleeting? Have you ever had a whole day where you felt peaceful and joyous? Moments of joy seem to always be interrupted by thoughts or feelings which break the feeling of joy.

This reminds me of something I read on How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence:

If you imagine yourself as a snowy mounta
Zach Freeman
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
While parts of this book are definitely pseudo-psychological nonsense (since Hendricks asserts that your mind controls your body he describes a situation where a colleague subconsciously gave himself laryngitis in order to avoid giving a presentation... but when Hendricks got to the root of the issue, the man's laryngitis DISAPPEARED!), there is a lot to like here and really it's all very straightforward self help guidelines like focus on what you're good at, don't sabotage yourself and take con ...more
Janisse Ray
Sep 23, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure what is driving me to self-help books these days, but I can’t get enough. I found Hendricks’ idea of 4 zones, one being the zone of genius, very intriguing. This is amazing material. If you’re trying to move the needle of your life, read this book.
Sascha Schuenemann
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Joya Cousin
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had something amazing happen to you -- a new job or professional recognition, an academic or sports award, finding a new love -- only to start sabotaging your own happiness or success?

Have you ever achieved something more awesome than you ever expected -- earning a lucrative contract, getting a huge bonus, being noticed by your gorgeous, long-term crush, finally hitting your goal weight, and then proceeded to burn it all down?

I have.

I have burned down my own life multiple times.
Sinclair
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I found myself skeptical of the concepts throughout the book. I believe that we are all capable of self-sabotage, but it's hard for me to swallow that that is what is keeping me/most of us from actually achieving success, abundance, or happiness. Some of it seems scarily close to victim-blaming. Though on the other hand, I think we do have a lot more control over our lives than we tend to accept. I just hate that there's no mention of any sort of systemic, institutional oppressions, as my experi ...more
Daniel
Apr 26, 2022 rated it did not like it

Every now and then I like to read a book I know I'm going to disagree with. Self-torture builds character, and reading a book leaves no permanent physical damage, so I recommend that over going medieval on oneself. But Gay Hendricks comes close to inflicting physical harm with mere words. I could almost feel myself losing IQ points on every page.

After reading this book, I lost respect for Stanford University, which somehow granted this pseudoscience peddler a Ph.D. in "counseling psychology." W
BookLab by Bjorn
Jul 31, 2022 rated it really liked it
Have you ever experienced that soon as you gain positive momentum in life, you cause a painful crash?

It’s the equivalent of putting a wooden stick in the front wheel when you ride a bike.

This book is about letting the good times roll. Something that most of us can’t tolerate.

When you self-sabotage you get what you think you deserve— a proof that your limiting beliefs are true; you are fundamentally flawed,or being undeserving of success, or whatever story you invented about yourself.

The author
Lori Anderson
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A friend gave me this book as a gift because she knows I am stuck in a creative and business rut (which for me is one and the same thing) and was certain it would help me.

Now, I am not the self-help book sort. I'll be completely up front about that. But I admire and love this friend, so I read it in one sitting.

Essentially, the book helps you learn how to jump from mediocrity to excellence. To do that, you have to learn to conquer the fear that's holding you back -- and Hendricks' opinion is eve
Ticket to Read Bo...: The Big Leap - Gay Hendricks 3 8 Jan 15, 2018 01:24PM

• We Should All Be Millionaires: A Woman’s Guide to Earning More, Building Wealth, and Gaining Economic Power
  • Get Rich, Lucky Bitch: Release Your Money Blocks and Live a First Class Life
  • Chillpreneur: How to Run a Wildly Successful Business Without Losing Your Mind (or Your Money!)
  • The Gap and The Gain: The High Achievers' Guide to Happiness, Confidence, and Success
  • You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
  • Work Energy: Finish What You Start and Fearlessly Take On Any Goal
  • 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership
  • Rich As F*ck: More Money Than You Know What to Do With
  • Write to Riches: 7 Practical Steps to Manifesting Abundance from your Books
  • Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
  • Be Your Future Self Now: The Science of Intentional Transformation
  • A Happy Pocket Full of Money: Infinite Wealth and Abundance in the Here and Now
  • Chill and Prosper: The New Way to Grow Your Business, Make Millions, and Change the World
  • Eye of the Heart: A Spiritual Journey into the Imaginal Realm
  • Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One
  • Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
  • Personality Isn't Permanent: Break Free from Self-Limiting Beliefs and Rewrite Your Story
  • Leap First: Creating Work That Matters
See top shelves…
Dr. Gay Hendricks has served for more than 30 years as one of the major contributors to the fields of relationship transformation and body-mind therapies. Along with his wife, Dr. Kathlyn Hendricks, Gay is the author of many bestsellers, including Conscious Loving, At the Speed of Life, and Five Wishes.

Gay received his PhD in counseling psychology from Stanford University in 1974. After a 21-year

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...
“Each of us has an inner thermostat setting that determines how much love, success, and creativity we allow ourselves to enjoy. When we exceed our inner thermostat setting, we will often do something to sabotage ourselves, causing us to drop back into the old, familiar zone where we feel secure. Unfortunately,” 14 likes
“In my life I’ve discovered that if I cling to the notion that something’s not possible, I’m arguing in favor of limitation. And if I argue for my limitations, I get to keep them.” 12 likes