Start by marking “The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level” as Want to Read:
The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level

The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level

In The Big Leap, Gay Hendricks, the New York Times bestselling author of Five Wishes, demonstrates how to eliminate the barriers to success by overcoming false fears and beliefs. Fans of Wayne Dyer, Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson, and The Secret will find useful, effective tips for breaking down the walls to a better life in The Big Leap.
hardcover, 224 pages
Published April 21st 2009 by HarperOne (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Leap, please sign up.
Anthony This book is great and lead to one of the best realizations that I've had while reading a book (that I had the 'upper-limiting' problem that Hendricks…moreThis book is great and lead to one of the best realizations that I've had while reading a book (that I had the 'upper-limiting' problem that Hendricks elaborates on in this book).(less)

Cara
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cara by: Stella Orange in copywriting PDF
Holy fuckety fuck, I wish I'd read this two years ago! Self-sabotage? Success/crash cycle? It's in there! Finally, an explanation! I'm only in chapter 2, but so far it's pure gold. Can't wait to read the rest and solve my shit!

...

Finished. Loved it. I give this my highest recommendation. Even for people who don't sabotage their own happiness and success, there's a lot of great stuff in here about making the most of your life.

Here's what it means for me:
I upper-limit myself because I believe I'm
Mary Mulliken
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was annoying. The author is arrogant and, while he has some good ideas, doesn't explain them in enough detail for them to be very helpful. It seemed like this book was written in a couple of days and not edited. As a coach, I feel concerned and turned off by his rather broad definition of "success" -- one that seems entirely money and power based without any consciousness of ethics or morality or social/environmental impact. This kind of climbing seems very dated to me, and therefore, ...more
Moira Eberle

Love the ideas in this book. Thoughtful and thought provoking. I am sometimes hindered by the language though. The metaphors and terminology are a bit too sports, big business or California life coach oriented for me to be able to relate (the "zone of genius" and "keys to liberation" for example). But if you forget those verbal shortcuts the concepts themselves are both simple and powerful.
So in the spirit of "take what works and leave the rest" the lessons in this book can really help you bre
Ted
Jul 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is a book that has some truth, some helpful suggestions for how to live life. However, they are few and far between. Most of the book is filler, stories of the author's accomplishments, famous people he has helped, or stuff he has acquired. I would not recommend reading this book.
Donovan
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mind boggling read!
This book was recommended to me by my coach Judymay when I was facing challenges in where is the next level for me. I know now why she chose it.
The book is an easy read yet it packs a punch if you do the exercises and play full out. The foundation of the book is the fact that we are all born to win, but when we get a feel for winning, we back down and go back to our comfort zone. Hendricks also offers so ideas of how we can operate in our genius zone more often.
On the whole I
Mark
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I agree with many reviews here that the tone can be off-putting, I thought this was an excellent set of ideas and discussion points. There's a lot in this book that is directly applicable in my life, and it's a book I think I'll download as well ... just to have an e-copy always as hand for browsing and dipping in and out. I think this is the only time I have found myself wishing I could talk to the author in a one-on-one session.

However, "Einstein Time"? For heaven's sake, just rip the ch
Steven Woloszyk - (Wa-LUSH-ick)
Sometimes, you pick up a book and just can't put it down. Something grabs you right away and pulls you along. It's like the author is speaking directly to you. That was the case with this one. There were a number of themes in this book that resonated with me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This book is all about understanding limiting beliefs, discovering from where they are derived, and learning how to bust through your self-imposed upper limit to realize your full potential.

We learn about the four
Shiri
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was a confusing mix of startling, deep insights about fear of success and self-sabotaging behaviors, sitting side-by-side with pseudoscientific, feel good, "The Secret"-style B.S. - the latter complete with shaming and victim blaming for illnesses and accidents.

Many of the examples used in the book were contrived or exaggerated to the point of silliness. Paraphrased: "I urged him to follow his dreams, and he said, sure, maybe at some point. I never saw him again. Two weeks later, I he
Sascha Schuenemann
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Lori Anderson
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A friend gave me this book as a gift because she knows I am stuck in a creative and business rut (which for me is one and the same thing) and was certain it would help me.

Now, I am not the self-help book sort. I'll be completely up front about that. But I admire and love this friend, so I read it in one sitting.

Essentially, the book helps you learn how to jump from mediocrity to excellence. To do that, you have to learn to conquer the fear that's holding you back -- and Hendricks' opinion is eve
Keith Ledig
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
trisha
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
So repetitive. The whole concept could be summarized effectively in one paragraph.
Leandra
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A life coach I work with recommended this book to me and it was a great recommendation. The book describes "the upper limit problem" where we fail to meet our goals or self sabotage ourselves through missing a goal or failing completely in another part of our life...as we can't believe that we be successful in careers, fitness, love life etc at the same time. We can!

The book is helpful is categorizing the barriers that our brains tend to box us in or limit us in and how we can break through - w
Jurgen Dhaese
A short book with an amazing message that could've been a whole lot better if it was twice as short.

The key points in the first half of the book are simply amazing :

We have an artificial limit on our happiness, and once we transcend it, we sabotage ourselves and do what we can to keep us unhappy.

Realizing that upper limit problem is the best way to break through it and enjoy more happiness in our lives.

Yet, the second half of the book is very flimsy, doesn't add much, and could've been cut.

Was t
Caitlin
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
It has some good ideas to think about including some reasons about why people self-sabotage. I found a lot of the author's names for his ideas to be a bit grating - like the "Zone of Genius." I'm also sceptical of anyone who uses any variant of 'synergy' without irony.
What really irritated me was that a great deal of the writing makes me feel like I'm reading an infomercial for the author's methods. Instead of being straight and getting to the point, he spends a lot of time talking about how his
Zach Freeman
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
While parts of this book are definitely pseudo-psychological nonsense (since Hendricks asserts that your mind controls your body he describes a situation where a colleague subconsciously gave himself laryngitis in order to avoid giving a presentation... but when Hendricks got to the root of the issue, the man's laryngitis DISAPPEARED!), there is a lot to like here and really it's all very straightforward self help guidelines like focus on what you're good at, don't sabotage yourself and take con ...more
Lily Haven
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would call this a wonderful starter book. The ideas are similar to things I have read in other books, just different wording, so I wouldn't call it particularly revolutionary, but if you are interested in this type of book and something like Jack Canfield's "The Success Principles" looks daunting because of the size, then "The Big Leap" is a great place to start. It is easy to read, it presents the ideas in a simple format and at about 200 pages not intimidating in length.

Four out of five star
Jenny
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Short book - first half more effective than the second. Overall - LOVE the message, and provides a helpful framework for understanding how we limit ourselves (and how to move past our own Upper Limit Problems).
Marc
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-age
Very useful. It asks the question: "How good can you let life be without effing it up?"
Lauren
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Folk in the corporate world. Or for those who find they self-sabotage their own success.
In a way, this book had a tough act to follow considering I had read two fantastic audio book reads for entrepreneurs before it that really impacted me...and changed my approach to goal-setting and implementing new habits: (The Compound Effect & The One Thing).

Mainly, I had a really hard time connecting with the author because the kind of success he seems to value most (wealth and power) is very different from mine. Most of the stories and examples he gave were from the corporate world witho
Cris Powell
I usually avoid pop psychology books because they tend to state the obvious numerous times, and offer chirpy, facile solutions to complex conundrums.

Then one of my particularly gifted psychotherapy patients kept raving about this book and discussing its themes as they apply to the fulfillment of her life.

The author's recipe for transforming fear into excitement is kind of intriguing. I like that he understands the importance of working with the body and the breath, and boldly confronts the inter
Ayuko
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I guess the gist of it is that people have "upper limit" to their success and when they reach it they sabotage it (examble being Bill Clinton's scandal). You need to be aware of such upper limit and use USM to connect with the universe to accept success and abundance.

The success examples the author uses are mostly white male billionaires. There was one female "blues singer", who turned out to be also white.

Also he suggests any conflicts can be resolved if each party took 100% responsibility, a
Taylor Ellwood
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, psychology
I found this to be a very helpful book because it helped me recognize how I was limiting myself in different situations in my life and it equipped me with processes I could use to call that out and start working through it. Also reading this book has helped me ask what my zone of genius is and start being true to that zone of genius instead of getting distracted and weighed down by work I don't really want to do. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to discover their zone of genius a ...more
Mickey
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. It does a fantastic job of laying out how childhood assumptions can become limiting beliefs in adulthood, and how to break through those limitations.

I was motivated to focus on what matters to me after reading this book, and it has helped propel me into this coming year with clarity on what I hope to accomplish. It offers specific techniques on how to realize your objectives, and what to do with them once they are realized.

Read this book and take care of yourself!
Carsten
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. Easy to read and practical to implemente. Basically the booking adresses 99% of what all of us i steuggeling with. How to cope with lots of task, the feeling of not having enoug time and therefore loosing tutch with what matters i life.
Patrick Neve
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not only does this book provide many valuable nuggets of wisdom and perspectives, but the author comes across as extraordinarily sincere. I “listened” to this audiobook twice, and took things away that I could use both times.
Kathleen
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
3,5/5

Er staan heel wat interessante gedachtes in dit boek, vooral aan het begin. Naarmate het einde nadert, moet je je wel door wat woo-woo slagen. Maar het heeft wel een paar dingen in verband met zelfsabotage doen "klikken" bij mij.
Crista Alvarez
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short book but very very valuable advises on how to overcome the upper limit problem. Totally recommend.
Ellie Dottie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
There are some good nuggets in this and I got 2 things particular to my life out of it, but there is also some victim blaming. This book won't apply to everyone and there is no space for that possibly in this book. I was going between 2 and 3 stars so as is my standard, I rounded up to 3.
Noha
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
painful repetition of ideas in pages after pages!
Ticket to Read Bo...: The Big Leap - Gay Hendricks 3 5 Jan 15, 2018 01:24PM
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • Get Rich Lucky Bitch Release Your Money Blocks and Live a First Class Life
  • The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients
  • The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose
  • Earn What You're Really Worth: Maximize Your Income at Any Time in Any Market
  • 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class: The Thought Processes, Habits and Philosophies of the Great Ones
  • Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts: Using the Power of Pleasure to Have Your Way with the World
  • Stop Playing Safe: Rethink Risk, Unlock the Power of Courage, Achieve Outstanding Success
  • Focus: Achieving Your Highest Priorities
  • How the World Sees You: Discover Your Highest Value Through the Science of Fascination
  • I Need Your Love - Is That True?: How to Stop Seeking Love, Approval, and Appreciation and Start Finding Them Instead
  • Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission, Your Message
  • Supercoach: 10 Secrets to Transform Anyone's Life
  • Tapping Into Wealth: How Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) Can Help You Clear The Path to Making More Money
  • A Happy Pocket Full of Money: Infinite Wealth and Abundance in the Here and Now
  • Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: Reclaim Your True Nature to Create the Life You Want
Dr. Gay Hendricks has served for more than 30 years as one of the major contributors to the fields of relationship transformation and body-mind therapies. Along with his wife, Dr. Kathlyn Hendricks, Gay is the author of many bestsellers, including Conscious Loving, At the Speed of Life, and Five Wishes.

Gay received his PhD in counseling psychology from Stanford University in 1974. After a 21-year
“In my life I’ve discovered that if I cling to the notion that something’s not possible, I’m arguing in favor of limitation. And if I argue for my limitations, I get to keep them.” 4 likes
“Fear is excitement without the breath.” Here’s what this intriguing statement means: the very same mechanisms that produce excitement also produce fear, and any fear can be transformed into excitement by breathing fully with it.” 4 likes