Start by marking “Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)

Everwild

(Skinjacker #2)

Everlost, the limbo land of dead children, is at war. Nick the “Chocolate Ogre” wants to help the children of Everlost reach the light at the end of the tunnel. Mary Hightower, self-proclaimed queen of lost children and dangerous fanatic, is determined to keep Everlost’s children trapped within its limbo for all eternity. Traveling in the memory of the Hindenburg, Mary is ...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Everwild, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tanner I got that same feeling
Val Veglia This book has made me more interested in the series then before, now with 2 books down and 1 more to go, I am enthusiastic about finally discovering…moreThis book has made me more interested in the series then before, now with 2 books down and 1 more to go, I am enthusiastic about finally discovering what happens. I am happy with how this book ended however, on a cliff hanger, only making me more inpatient for Everwild. Everlost and Everfound are one of my favorite books am very glad I chose this series. (less)
The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldElsewhere by Gabrielle ZevinIf I Stay by Gayle FormanA Certain Slant of Light by Laura WhitcombBefore I Fall by Lauren Oliver
YA Post-Death Novels
167 books — 386 voters
Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Gotta Have 'Em
1,107 books — 1,909 voters

More lists with this book...

Will M.
Not all books suffer the dreaded second book curse. Most of the time, especially in YA series/trilogies, the second book will always be the most dreaded one. Shusterman managed to create a terrific novel. A great successor to Everlost.

The novel continues with three different voices. We have Mary, Allie, and Nick. Naturally we tend to have favorites when it comes to novels with different voices, and I also have my own in this novel. I liked Allie's adventure more because I'm really interested wit
Brigid ✩
Ohhh my gosh. I don't even know where to begin! Neal Shusterman is basically an amazing genius. I'm surprised he's not more famous. I've seen more people reading Unwind recently, which is good. I hope more people keep reading his books, because they are AWESOME! Unwind is definitely his best, and I don't know if he can ever write anything as shocking and powerful, but Everwild is the closest he's gotten so far.

But before I get to my review of Everwild specifically, I just want to point out the r
Amy
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The second of a planned trilogy, EVERWILD picks up a unspecified (but probably short) time after Everlost ends. And wow...I thought EVERLOST was good, but EVERLOST blows it out of the water in every way, shape, and form possible... A sequel that was better than the first!

EVERWILD continues the story of Allie and Nick, but their stories diverge as they pursue separate goals; Allie sets off with Mikey to find her parents in hopes that she might put her spirit to rest, while Nick finds himself agai
Thomas
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is now my favorite book. Ever. I think I need a good night's sleep before I can begin to describe it.

Okay, now I think I’m ready for this.
Everwild is the most phenomenal book I have ever read. Shusterman has successfully combined the most original plot, the highest level of writing, and the greatest characters into one terrific story. If your opinion of a book is easily swayed by others' opinions or reviews, I would stop reading this review right now. Pick up a copy of Everlost, the fi
Lynn
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
You can tell that Neal Shusterman studied psychology in college. He does such a good job with his characters, diving into ethics and the morality of kids at different ages/stages. He doesn't write stereotypical, cliched or 2-D "bad" guys. He makes them human and often shows you how they went down the roads they do. He also dives into the "good" guys and shows us their mistakes too, making sure things are never black and white. He can turn a situation on a dime, surprising both his readers and I ...more
Eve
4.5, rounded up because a couple parts blew me away.

I had to reread the first book first, because when I started the second one I found I didn't remember much about the first one. I'm very glad I did refresh my memory! The second book does reiterate some things you learn in the first book, but it was still really nice to get the whole thing again before reading this one.

There's some great character development in Everwild. I will say a couple characters shocked me and kept me guessing, but they
Sigurweissen
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-2018
Let me firstly say that I do not like how Nick has turned out since the end of “Everlost”. Secondly, I still firmly believe that Mary is a witch, and I really hope that instead of coming to Everlost once again she actually goes down the tunnel.

Lastly, I was entirely far too angry that Zinnia is not part of Everlost anymore. In “Everlost” I grew very fond of Lief. In “Everwild” I grew very fond of Zinnia. Both times the characters have been put out. It’s beginning to get annoying.

Because I dislik
C.P. Cabaniss
This novel was just as fascinating as the first. It's well written and has an intriguing world. We get answers about skinjackers and what they can do as well as why, we meet a ripper who can not only pull things from the living world but put them back.

Nick still has the most development to me. Allie was a bit annoying in parts, but I really enjoyed her developing along the way. Mary is even more creepy than before and reading about her just fives me shivers.

The ending of this left us with plent
Tammie
This series is very inventive! I thought Everwild was even better than Everlost. Neil Shusterman has created a world that is full of wonder and disturbing events, sprinkled with just the right amount of humor. It's written in such a sweet, innocent way, that the disturbing things some of the characters do seem to creep up on you, and are all the more shocking because of it. I can’t wait to read the next book.
Amanda
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Everwild continues the story of young Nick (also known as the Chocolate Ogre) and Allie the Outcast, two children who died in a car accident but instead of passing over to the next life, they became trapped in an eerie in-between known only as Everlost. In Everlost, children's souls, called Afterlights, wander the world in search of purpose and leadership while watching the living world continue around them in a blur.

Since Nick's defeat of Mary Hightower in Everlost, Mary has decided to strength
Spencer
Mary is one scary lady! Not only does she want to rule Everwild, she was willing to do whatever it took to get back there when she was forced out! Terrifying. That girl has some scary plans! I couldn't believe when she was willing to side with Jill after she learned what she was really doing to collect new souls (well I could, but it was such an awful thing she was doing!).

Mikey has learned more about his "superpower" and honestly it's pretty cool. I love that Allie is completely supportive of i
Katy
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good second book in the trilogy.
Bethzua
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
La razón detrás del skinjacking. I applaud you, Mr. Shusterman.
Allison
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Victoria
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A gripping, incredible sequel to Everlost and an extremely worthy middle novel that broadens the scope of Shusterman's afterlife world to epic proportions.

The characters of the first book are scattered now, each group with its own mission. Mary Hightower has become the Sky Witch, scouring Everlost for the souls of children to "save." Nick, immortalized as the Chocolate Ogre, fights against the consuming memory of chocolate in order to oppose everything Mary stands for, hoping to save Afterlight
Joanne
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-urban-fantasy
I loved it! I cannot tell you just how mind blowing the plot of Everwild is! Despite the obvious detail in the blurb, there were so many things that happened in this book that would literally have me gawping at the book. Everwild is written in the same style as Everlost, which I can only describe as sweet, so there is nothing graphic or too violent that actually happens in the book, which I think just makes these bombshells even more surprising!

There were moments in this book when I was close to
Robin (Bridge Four)
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome-audio
4.5 Stars

Everlost is the place where sticks and stones won’t break your bones but names can always hurt you. It is also where things that were once loved and are destroyed in the real world might find themselves almost like an echo.

I enjoyed Everlost but Everwild drew me into this w
kari
Aug 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2011
This second book in the trilogy picks up a few months after the first ends and the action is much more fast paced this time around. There are several threads running through and various viewpoints, but the shifting focus works fine, isn't confusing or hard to know who's doing what.
I liked how the characters continue to grow and change, some not so much for the better.
This book starts making the reader think more about right and wrong and questioning if it is okay to do something wrong if your in
Jodi
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Truthfully, my rating of Everwild should hover somewhere between "It was OK" and "I Liked It." While it was a good read, for me, it really didn't live up to the previous installment of the Skinjacker series. We were certainly introduced to a whole slew of new characters, and we also learned a little something about some of our Everlost characters, which I enjoyed. However, this story just didn't seem to have the same heart as Everlost.
I liked how Shusterman began the book with Mary's tips for n
Sesana
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I absolutely loved Everlost, the first book in this series. So when this one was merely ok, it was a big disappointment to me. I do want to say first of all that Shusterman's writing is still very good, just that this book didn't hit the right chords for me.

There's an awful lot of story threads being juggled, for one. Which means that I would no sooner than get settled into a plot before the narrative would switch to another one. And I found myself significantly less attached to the characters t
Randy
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: launch-vehicle
Part 2 of a trilogy...my wife met the author at an English teacher's conference in Orlando, FL...he autographed her books. I enjoy books with unique perspectives and this one rates at the top with The Golden Compass trilogy. What makes it most appealing is that it delves into the human afterlife where there are those who wish to keep the souls who arrive there and those who set them free to enter the next phase of afterlife...all of the characters are children with the potential to be Lolitas bu ...more
Dan
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
I'm speechless because of the epilogue! This book was even better than the first one. It picks up a short time (3 years I think?) after the first book. This book was so hard to put down because of the interesting plot, well-written characters that makes me so happy, sad, angry, furious and the vivid description of the Everlost world. I can't wait to read the final book in the trilogy!
Tish
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Now, this is what I had been expecting from Everlost, the first book in the Skinjacker series. The characters all seemed more interesting and complex and there was a lot more depth to the story, with questions of life, death, whether the end justifies the means, etc. The plot just seemed better, too, answering enough questions to be satisfying, but leaving the reader hungering for the next book.
Reading is my Escape
Everwild by Neal Shusterman - Audiobook If you haven't read Everlost, then you probably shouldn't read this review. But more importantly, don't read the synopsis of this book (Everwild) on Amazon as it gives away an important plot point that the book doesn't reveal until at least the 65% mark.

Everlost is populated by children who died and didn't find their way to the light. They are basically ghosts, who can't be seen or interact with the living world (with one interesting exception). Places (d
Malyk
May 17, 2017 added it
Neal Shusterman’s “Everwild” is both an amazing and interesting adaption to his previous book “Everlost”. Following the main characters (The ones left at least), Allie and Nick, we get to see just how each individual goes about their life in “Limbo” and continues on in their quest to find what's most important: answers. Now this quest brings them to undiscovered territory in Everlost, known as the everwilds, where each character parts ways in an unexpected journey that neither expects. Nick, onc ...more
Erika
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allie and Nick have been in Everlost for a few years. Like everything else that fails to get to where it’s going, they’ve settled in an unpredictable routine that’s become more like a mission. Their days are not consumed by tedious repetition or useless patterns Mary Queen of Snots would approve of. Allie and Nick have long-term goals. The dynamics differ for each, but in the end all Allie wants is to find her home; Nick wants to destroy Mary Hightower. Left to her own extreme ideas of what’s re ...more
Taylor 2-3
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Everwild was a little slow at first, but towards that middle of the book it starts to pick up the pace. For me I definitely did not find it as good as Everlost, and I wished it was as good because I really liked the Climax of the story, but then it all just started to come crashing down. The overall plot of the book was really good, and I really liked how they had the Chocolate Ogre (Nick), and the Skywitch (Mary) as rivals going against each other. If you like more drama in the books you read, ...more
Lena
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gah, this took me forever to read. Not because it was bad or boring, but work got in the way, so there just wasn't enough time to pick up a book. Most of the time I was too tired anyway. Loved it though :) The characters are everything!
Edshara
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is turning out to be a great series. I thought the first book was good, but this one is even better. It gets a bit darker in this one, but the delivery is excellent. I can't wait to find out what happens next.
Youmi
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I am kind of surprised that this book had a lot of five-stars. It was a pretty "meh" book. I lost my interest along the way. It's a pretty slow-moving book. Not something that really stuck. I was pretty excited to read this, but I didn't get quite what I wanted. This book did not meet my expectations. Although I didn't get what I wanted, I'll try to give the trilogy a chance.

• My So Called Death (Dead High, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • In The Land Of The Dead (Rot & Ruin, #1.5)
  • Goat Girls (Weetzie Bat, #2-3)
  • A Web of Air (Fever Crumb, #2)
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Dark Eden (Dark Eden, #1)
  • Chance to Dance for You
  • Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3)
  • Shadows (Hex, #2)
  • Draw the Dark
  • The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)
  • Sacred Scars
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • The Black (Morpheus Road, #2)
  • The Twilight Prisoner (Jack Perdu, #2)
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
Award-winning author Neal Shusterman grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he began writing at an early age. After spending his junior and senior years of high school at the American School of Mexico City, Neal went on to UC Irvine, where he made his mark on the UCI swim team, and wrote a successful humor column. Within a year of graduating, he had his first book deal, and was hired to write a movi ...more

Skinjacker (3 books)
  • Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)
“Heaven might shine bright, but so do flames.” 57 likes
“Great tragedies have great consequences. They ripple through the fabric of this world and the next. When the loss is too great for either world to bear, Everlost absorbs the shock, like a cushion between the two.” 37 likes