Start by marking “The Wild Road (Tag, the Cat, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Road (Tag, the Cat, #1)

The Wild Road

(Tag, the Cat #1)

In the grand storytelling style of Watership Down and Tailchaser's Song comes an epic tale of adventure and danger, of heroism against insurmountable odds, and of love and comradeship among extraordinary animals who must brave The Wild Road . . .

Secure in a world of privilege and comfort, the kitten Tag is happy as a pampered house pet--until the dreams come. D
Published November 6th 1997 by Arrow Books Ltd (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Road

Start your review of The Wild Road (Tag, the Cat, #1)
☠ Michelle ☠
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Originally read January 28 - February 20, 2012 .

This book helped me through a rough period when I was in a lot of physical pain, and I have fond memories of it in that regard.

Reread October 16, 2013 - April 1, 2013
(I can take a long time to read a book because I have such a good memory, I can afford to put it down for a while).

I could have done without the (view spoiler); but this is a very poignant tale o
Mollie
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves animals and fantasy.
Shelves: fantasy
This is a truly excellent book. I fell deeply in love with every character and even named my own cat Tag. Just get through the first 3 chapters and the book will be imprinted on your heart forever.
Marjolein
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

For years, this was the favourite book of one of my friends. She'd been telling me for ages to read it, and apparently thought I wasn't doing that fast enough because one day, she just delivered it in the mail to me, so I didn't have an excuse any more and could read it immediately.

And even though it has been years since I read it, I've always found it a special book. It was the first real book with animals as main characters and animal POVs that I read, and
LovesHorses
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wild Road tells the story of two ancient souls and their encounters throughout time - the Majicou, and the Alchemist. The Alchemist has been searching for understanding of the universe, but he has been approaching the problem in all the wrong ways. The Majicou is the guardian of great secrets that humans may not be privy to, and the Alchemist will go to any lengths to learn.

This is a story of magic and mysticism, loyalty and courage, as a group of feline friends set out to defend
Amber
Apr 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not normally a fan of books where an animal is the POV character, so 3 stars is a lot coming from me. King creates enjoyable characters and I was pleased to discover the character's actually go through some growth along their journey. I also like King's ability to to remember at all times that his characters are cats and not allow them to become too human. After months surviving in the wild Tag's decision to go inside by approaching a screen door of an abandoned house and meowing "open" at i ...more
Derrick Robbins
Jul 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate giving this a terrible rating. I don't like giving any author any bad rating because I know that they're proud of their work. Regardless if we as their readers are into their story or not.

I also shouldn't write a review because I didn't finish the book, but I just couldn't get into the story. It's like saying a movie is crap without even actually watching it. If I'm not enveloped in a book by the hundredth page, I unfortunately have to part with it. It's a terrible feeling, this departur
Kirsti
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book would be a cat story, just like Watership Down was for rabbits, but this was a little different. It's cats/fantasy, which I didn't see coming, and the magic of the 'roads' the cats can travel on gets a little lost. This book is a 'journey' style book, in which often the characters do no more than search out their next meal, and that was kind of boring. It was also choppy and unfocussed, stopping one scene with action then moving on to the other characters, so that when you go ...more
Jeffrey E
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went in expecting to read a Warriors book. What I got instead was a delightful combination of The Last Unicorn and Watership Down. At times it it indulges too deeply in whimsy but all was forgiven at the end.
Rebecca
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this book yesterday, and literally did not put it down except to bathe and sleep until I finished it today. If you deeply love all cats, not just sleek house cats with their soft fur and gentle purrs, but also ferals, furtive and wary, often tattered, hungry and cold, but FREE, and answering only to their own, true names, then this book will wend its way into your heart. I laughed aloud, and wept bitter tears, in the reading of it, and will visit that world again and again. It ha ...more
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too violent, cat cruelty, ending somewhat unsatisfying
Simone Harper
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great characters,interesting story and a happy ending
Angela
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Overall, a fun, but not too spectacular read.
I really enjoyed the way King wrote his cat characters. The way they spoke--a bit distracted and not too wordy--really felt like the way a cat would express itself through verbal language. And there was a lot of body language, head rubbing and sudden tail licking, things that cats usually do when they are in certain moods. Individuals also had distinction in speech and body language patterns, which was well defined and appreciated.
The story its
Elizabeth
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a very lovely, heartwarming book. The authors describe the landscapes that the cats traverse with such precise and beautiful language that the journey is surreal. Every cat, fox, and bird in this story are cleanly carved as distinct individuals, and the relationships between each of them are wonderfully complex without excessive dialogue. I felt that I was truly following animals, not humans masquerading as quadrupeds, on the grand adventure.

Yes, there is some animal cruelty
Jules
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book as a present by a dear friend and can honestly say it’s one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever read. Like the Wild Roads themselves the journey it takes you on is long and winding but feels effortless. The scents, sounds and sensations its heroes experience make it easy to believe that the author really is taking dictation directly from a cat, and the characters will be instantly familiar to any cat lover; I’ve met Cy and Pertelot, and am living with Ragnar’s photonegat ...more
Megan
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Wild Road is a wonderfully magical read. I had seen it described as 'Watership Down, but with cats' and while I can certainly see why, I would say this story branches off in so many different tangents and has so many different elements to it as a result, that it really becomes a case of apples and oranges (or, of course, cats and rabbits!).

Out of all the cats, I found myself most drawn towards Sealink, with her southern drawl and her lioness-like protectiveness and affection. ...more
Pieter
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I love the fact that it is told from the perspective of a cat. There are things that make Tag seem almost human, but there's always his catness that reminds you that you are getting a glimpse into the mind of a predator. The story itself is one that for me extends beyond the book. The characters you come across are all part of something much bigger than just the story that is told. It does really help that I'm a huge fan of fantasy. I would certainly recommend this book to ...more
Tony Chestnut
Jaylin
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - I re-read it at least once a year, in fact my hardcover copy is looking rather well worn these days. If you love fantasy, adventure, and mystical stories of cats, you'll appreciate this book.
Patricia A Meyers
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cat lovers rejoice!

I Love this book from beginning to end! However, it took me awhile to finish since my own lovable kitty took offense when the kindle was in hand. There are the usual typos that mar the flow of the story a little though. I enjoyed the story despite that.
Charlotte
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 'cat people' and fans of fantasy and animal POV stories.
Shelves: favorites
A brilliant unique story full of loveable characters who grow and develop as the as it progresses, told by a man who knows cats. And lord knows I do love man who knows a thing or two about cats.
Sparky Lurkdragon
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, xenofiction enthusiats
Shelves: xenofiction
YES GOOD WATERSHIP DOWN WITH CATS. MAGICAL CATS. THAT ACTUALLY ACT LIKE CATS. FORGET THAT WARRIORS CRAP, THIS IS THE REAL DEAL FOR KITTY XENOFICTION.
Linda
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This was a difficult book to rate. Parts of it were almost lyrical in their beauty; others were gritty and revolting. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR YOUNGER READERS BECAUSE OF THE ANIMAL CRUELTY DEPICTED. In the end, I decided on a 4-star rating because the book is memorable.

There were numerous typographical errors, possibly due to transcription from hard-copy to digital. In most cases, I could tell what the proper word should probably be, but "ruseating column" baffled me. No o
Mari Jaye
This tale started off on a blissful note. The style was almost meditative, with Tag exploring the gardens and fauna of his new found kitten home, and the idea that he had some kind of guardian-cat-angel watching over him, and a special destiny waiting for him to realise. But the story became too convoluted and rough for me; the pacing slow and the plot tedious. It can be awesome to go through trials and tribs with your characters, enjoyable in the way that you are rooting for them, and watching ...more
Marilyn
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to read this book; the digital formatting was full of typos, for starters (for example the word "torn" was printed as "tom." Many words with "rn" came out with "m" instead, and there were several other combinations that were just wrong.

But the story, too, was a challenge to follow. As a fantasy, of course, the rules of how the world works can be totally different from our reality, and this book took some big jumps with this. The Wild Road itself traveled/wove through time
Meredith
The world of cats exists along side our world but it is still impacted by the world of humans, usually not in a good way. Tag the cat is pulled from his comfortable life as a pampered house cat into an adventure and a quest. He picks up traveling companions and grows from young and naive to mature along the way. I had a hard time with this because of the suffering of cats in the story. It's realistic but sad and made it hard to 'escape' the real world while reading.

adding: there were
Jaylie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers
Shelves: cats
Not as good as I expected, but still a decent book. Pretty interesting.
Diana Toole
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this book, I am seriously not sure how I feel about it. . . I am not unhappy that I read it. I am just not sure what I would, or could, say about it. How is that for a review? Sigh.
Trisha Escaravage
There are many ups and downs. However, it turns out pretty good. It’s not really my kind of book....however, I will read the next one. Out of curiosity.
Lynda
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I found it really hard to start this book because I have a missing cat and it made me to emotional. I think I will try again in a few month or even years when his loss isn't so bad for me.
Clare
Apr 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't finished just given up.
« previous 1 3 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: The Wild Road by Gabriel King 1 11 Jan 24, 2015 01:42PM

• Tailchaser's Song
  • The Book of Night with Moon (Cats of Grand Central, #1)
  • Raven Quest
  • Varjak Paw  (Varjak Paw #1)
  • Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Tarka the Otter
  • The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and Homeless Cats
  • The Sight (The Sight, #1)
  • The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)
  • The Tygrine Cat (The Tygrine Cat, #1)
  • Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1)
  • The Animals of Farthing Wood
  • Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1)
  • The First Collier (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #9)
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Swordbird (Swordbird, #1)
A pseudonym used by authors M John Harrison and Jane Johnson

Series:
* Tag, the Cat
* Knot Garden

Tag, the Cat (2 books)
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)
“We can't all guard the life we love—or there soon would be no life left to love but being a guard.” 7 likes
“Only me, eh? Is that how you see yourself? Only you is worth a good deal more than you think.” 3 likes